"In my business you prepare for the unexpected."- The What is Your Job Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can tell, because I'm the exact same way. There were too many cons to do it, and I keep thinking I should have sucked it up and taken the money for this summer, but it just wasn't going to be worth it. So for now, I'm stuck with nothing until August comes back around and I get to return to college and work in the cafeteria there.
    I chew seed for gummy parrots.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Univex wrote:
    Novelist here. Amongst other things.

Good! I'm a frustrated writer, fiction writer that is. I try to incorporate as much tension, wit and excitement as possible in my papers, though. Which leads to funny reactions by co-authors sometimes :-?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a professional FireFighter in New Orleans and have 20 years on the job. I'm a Captain on Engine 13. I've had my share of excitement but 85% of the time is waiting. The most unexpected experience was the breaking of the levees, and the flooding, following hurricane Katrina. I was part of a group of approx. 30 FireFighters who did search and rescue for four days after the storm. When all was said and done we rescued over 1200 people, many who were trapped in attics and had to be cut out.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    talos7 wrote:
    I am a professional FireFighter in New Orleans and have 20 years on the job. I'm a Captain on Engine 13. I've had my share of excitement but 85% of the time is waiting. The most unexpected experience was the breaking of the levees, and the flooding, following hurricane Katrina. I was part of a group of approx. 30 FireFighters who did search and rescue for four days after the storm. When all was said and done we rescued over 1200 people, many who were trapped in attics and had to be cut out.

Good on you, mate. I have high respect for people that do the things you do. That's for your constant service.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    talos7 wrote:
    Cool! So we even got a real life hero on the boards! Well done to you @talos7! Back here in the lowlands those who work for the emergency services are treated with less and less respect, something I just can't fathom.

For me, I'm an entrepeneur, working on a couple of different projects.
    I have a great respect and admiration for firefighters @talos7. Keep up the good job!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Starting fifth and final year at Uni. this fall, Master of Science in Media Technology.
    Starting fifth and final year at Uni. this fall, Master of Science in Media Technology.

Good luck to you! This will be my final year of college for, uhh, general studies, sadly. I can't major in theater, so I just plan on packing up and heading straight to LA to act, if I'm lucky.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Creasy47 wrote:

Good luck to you! This will be my final year of college for, uhh, general studies, sadly. I can't major in theater, so I just plan on packing up and heading straight to LA to act, if I'm lucky.

L.A. would offer you more opportunities than NY? I'm not sure. But no matter, I wish you all good things, Creasy47. And I hope you get a lucky break; starting out in the arts is (from what I can tell as an outsider) never easy. If you love it, keep at it!
    imranbecks wrote:
    I'm a senior fire officer at the airport :-)

389154_10151084292375791_2137146764_n.jpg

Nice pic, by the way. Any unusual/interesting stories to share?

@4EverBonded, thank you very much. Yeah, I've been led to believe that it's a very rough start. I would prefer trying out in NY: closer to home, seems slightly easier to afford, but I've always surmised that NY is best for Broadway, which isn't what I'm looking for.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    talos7 wrote:

As soon as I read the words "New Orleans" I thought of Katrina. I'm originally from Florida, so I do know all about hurricanes. I so respect your efforts, Talos7. Thanks for all you do. And I hope a big one does not hit your area again for decades to come.

Here in Japan, I recently took my kindergarten class to the local fire station. We had a blast, the kids were adorable and the looks on their faces were just great (continual surprise and amazement). I hope you still get to interact with young children from time to time, one of the more pleasant, less stressful sides of your side.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @4EverBonded, thank you very much. Yeah, I've been led to believe that it's a very rough start. I would prefer trying out in NY: closer to home, seems slightly easier to afford, but I've always surmised that NY is best for Broadway, which isn't what I'm looking for.

I know next to nothing about actually getting into the business; maybe someone on here does. But it seems to me, finding a great agent would be more than a little helpful. Whatever comes your way, I wish you well! Your life after college is an open book, you know. The whole world is out there for you. I hope you - and everybody just graduating - will find joy, success (that means so many different things), peace, love (what would life be without it?) and adventures. :-bd
    @4EverBonded, thank you very, very much! I hope it works out for you and anyone else hoping to achieve a great goal of theirs, too, in the near future.
    I'm a tutor for elementary and high school students. But for my students, I'm more of a problem eliminator :>
    With any luck, I'll get to wear this in about 6 months!

gi0cnMaryland_State_Police_Patch.jpg
    @Master_Dahark, very nice. Good luck to you!
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    @emilbertillo, I like what you did there :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I am a Tele Account Manager for brewers Molson Coors in their Leeds UK Tele Business Unit.

With any luck, I'll get to wear this in about 6 months!

gi0cnMaryland_State_Police_Patch.jpg

Nice one! One of my mates is a cop.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Thanks for the kind words. Almost everyone in this area of public service, Fire, Police, EMS, etc. truly appreciate the support from the public. This is a great thread; it's fun to see the variety of occupations.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm basically unemployed. Aspiring to be a full-time writer, though. I've published one book on Amazon Kindle, but it hasn't sold that well.
    I'm basically unemployed. Aspiring to be a full-time writer, though. I've published one book on Amazon Kindle, but it hasn't sold that well.

What book might it be? My girlfriend has an Amazon Kindle.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, if either one of you is into zombies, it's called Undead Explosion: Dead Place. It's $2.99.
    We both love zombies. I might have her purchase it sometime soon.
    I'm a university professor and researcher, just starting but I'm hoping to be the M of the faculty one day.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I'm currently working as an Emergency Medical Technician and Veterinary Technician, but hoping to shift into Vet Tech in the near future.
    0013 wrote:
    I'm a university professor and researcher, just starting but I'm hoping to be the M of the faculty one day.

I wonder if we are in the same line of work :-?
    I'm a support worker for adults with learning disabilities and mental health problems.