"In my business you prepare for the unexpected."- The What is Your Job Discussion

edited July 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 371
1,000 apoligies if this has been done, but since we all are a bit friendly here I was wondering if having an area where we discuss our occupations would be a good idea. I myself am a graduate student who is getting their masters in accounting hoping to be an auditor. A far cry from James Bond I suppose.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ah, but auditors can be secretive, calculating, find a needle in a haystack, trace a clue back to its source, unrelenting ... gee, that sounds rather Bondish.

I am an English teacher, here in Japan, secretly honing my Ninja skills and planning to infiltrate the London premiere of Skyfall.

(I wish!! Sadly, only the first part is true.)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, we would have believed you either way!

Now, nobody freak out, as you all probably know me...as that guy who washes dishes for $7.25 an hour at a community college in West Virginia. Let me know if you would like to acquire an autograph.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Ah what a perfect cover, Creasy47! The totally typical college student.
    Now I don't think West Virginia is particularly close to Langley, but I don't know. And we do believe there are subterranean tunnels throughout that area, ones our government don't advertise. I say that your public persona is working quite well in your favor - who knows what you get up to in your free time in the more remote hills of W. VA? Probably helping train our brothers and sisters at Langley.

As an aside, Jennifer Garner hails from W. VA, does she not? (I do so loved Alias!)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Langley is in Virginia, and the CIA is actually stationed in McLean, Virginia, despite popular belief.
    @4EverBonded, you caught me! I actually pass an exit to Langley every time I go shopping at the Dulles Town Center, which is close to the Dulles Airport. I used to work at the Town Center.

I'm not sure if Garner did, but I know William H. Macy - fantastic actor - hails from these parts, and I attended the same high school as Sam Pancake, who has been in quite a few films and television shows. His mother used to be the art teacher there, from what I've been led to believe.
    Langley is in Virginia, and the CIA is actually stationed in McLean, Virginia, despite popular belief.

Yes, I knew it was VA not W. Va, I'm just playing around here. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 23,536
    This is more or less covered here but since this thread invites more conversation than the other does, I think we can give it a try. That said, the minute it turns into spam, there's a lockdown. ;-)
    good mornig every body
    goodir27 wrote:
    good mornig every body

Welcome to the forum, @goodir27. However, please stay on each thread's topic. I think we can agree that your post, however friendly, has little meaning in this thread.

Thank you and I hope you'll have a pleasant staying.
    I work on a farm, milk cows, feed cows/calves, drive big tractors, complain about the weather and prices. Best job there is, even though it is the most dangerous occupation according to the farmers weekly
    I have a sentimental view of farms (I always picture something pretty), but I know there is a ton of hard work involved every day. I hope the weather isn't too horrible where you are (so much unusual and dangerous weather around the globe right now).
    I have the most hated profession in the world: I'm a teacher. ;-) I teach chemistry and physics. My pupils / students are ages 14 - 18.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I have the most hated profession in the world: I'm a teacher. ;-) I teach chemistry and physics. My pupils / students are ages 14 - 18.

Where were you when I needed you most!

I'm only 17, but I've graduated High School and the local Community College with an Associates already. I'm currently still pedaling my Chick-Fil-A job trying to find my calling in life.

I'll likely head into the military (US). Geo-spatial Aerial Imagery Analyst looks interesting, so I'll be contacting a recruiter and taking the appropriate tests here soon. Essentially that job is responsible for sifting through photo and video reconnaissance information. Depending on where I'm stationed I could be mapping out battlefields, locating key targets, determining the functionality of the geography, determining the use of certain buildings by the enemy, locating armed hostiles through live footage, advising command leaders during live missions, etc.

Very interesting job, the closest I'll get to James Bond ;)
    I can't complain as I work for the Brittish security services
    jimmyb wrote:
    I can't complain as I work for the Brittish security services

Anything in particular to describe what you do?
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I'm a senior fire officer at the airport :-)

389154_10151084292375791_2137146764_n.jpg
    I actually work for the QUEEN of England..............................? Also known as the Royal Mail postal service! ;) :D

So yes i am an information handler!!! B-) :))
  • I'm a feminist German translator - making sense of weird german prose which is tripe.

I'm also a creative director at a communication's agency in my spare time.
    Mechanic, so pretty far away from Bond. I was in the army for a few years though.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Attendee of a schooling establishment based on her Majesty the Queen's education system...and a dog walker in my spare time
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I'm a projectionist, working in a multiplex ! :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Do you get to watch movies at a discount?

I spent two weeks at Myrtle Beach one summer with my friend who worked tickets and concession at a movie theater, and we saw a lot of movies for free: 'Clerks 2,' 'Miami Vice,' 'Talladega Nights,' 'Superman Returns,' and 'The Descent.' The terrible balanced out the incredible.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Post-doc researcher. The closest I could get to the Q-branch I suppose :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

When there is a special showing for the people working there, it's free. When I go at a normal showing, I have a discount. :)

When there is a special showing for the people working there, it's free. When I go at a normal showing, I have a discount. :)

*JEALOUS*
    As pathetic as it may sound, I had a chance to be a runner at my local Alamo Drafthouse - for those who don't know, it's a movie theater that allows you to order all kinds of food and drink while the movie is showing, and waiters bring it out to you - and that role is what I just described: delivering everyone's food and drinks to them. I didn't take the job because I was worried I would be going in and out of films I had yet to see, and I didn't want to spoil them. :|
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    As pathetic as it may sound, I had a chance to be a runner at my local Alamo Drafthouse - for those who don't know, it's a movie theater that allows you to order all kinds of food and drink while the movie is showing, and waiters bring it out to you - and that role is what I just described: delivering everyone's food and drinks to them. I didn't take the job because I was worried I would be going in and out of films I had yet to see, and I didn't want to spoil them. :|

Yes, good thinking. And I hate having a job title that requires me to do whatever someone wants. I want yada yada, room temperature water with yada yada and a side of blah blah blah, and make sure it is heated to satisfaction yada yada. I would punch them square in the face. I am not a people person, can you tell? :))
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Well, I lead a busy life. I'm a manager in a finantial institution here in Brazil, as well as a graphic designer in the free hours, and editor of James Bond Brasil website, and of course, a Bond fanatic. :)

xxx
    Novelist here. Amongst other things.