Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

Been playing Sniper Elite 5 on Xbox (thanks to GamePass)- after reading alot of negative opinions regarding the player movement and the invisible walls I am still having a blast with it. If you enjoyed the last two installments I'm sure you will like this. The graphics are improved and the x-ray kill cam.. never gets old even after the 10th testicle shot. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Good to know. Emperor's Tomb, though dated, is still fun. We're overdue for a new Indy game.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I don't know how good a game it'll be, but it looks really cool. This is by the people who made that Terminator game a couple of years ago.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mattjoes wrote: »

I don't know how good a game it'll be, but it looks really cool. This is by the people who made that Terminator game a couple of years ago.

Whilst watching the trailer I thought how great it would be to have a Robocop game like the Arkham series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,882
    What is going on at Ubisoft?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/07/ubisoft-bins-four-games-including-free-to-play-ghost-recon-frontline

Oof.

I liked Ghost Recons Wildlands and Breakpoint, but I wasn't going to touch Frontlines. Battle Royale isn't my thing, and neither is Ubisoft taking a tactical shooter, and twisting it into a Battle Royale to chase that Fortnite money.

And Canning of the Splinter Cell VR game, also makes little difference to me. As much of a Splinter Cell fan as I am, I don't play VR games. Does this mean that the in development reboot is safe?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I see they finally realized most of this trash they're producing is a bad idea.

And same, I can't stand Battle Royale in any format. I actively avoid it.
    I love PUBG. I play it relatively frequently. Nothing like being on your own and feeling the tension and uncertainty of whether you'll run into others. The faint sound of footsteps or a vehicle passing by. The fog of war.

I tried Fortnite a few times, but I didn't care for the cartoonish visuals, nor the last stretch of the game where everyone builds wooden stairs like they are wizards. The only times I got close to winning it was by hiding between other people's stairs rather than making my own. That wasn't for me.
    https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/07/ubisofts-free-to-play-roller-champions-could-already-be-on-the-chopping-block

Looks like Ubisoft are trying to trim the fat. While they are at it, ditch the 'live service' and 'forced / always online' business models. That would be a good start to repairing their damaged reputation.
    Ubisoft has a long, long, looooong way to go to get my money again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah... I kinda feel the same way. But also I don't want to write them off. They gave me Splinter Cell 1-3, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Rogue & Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. And I want to believe that fans have spoken with their wallets, and Ubisoft have listened and will return to their glory days. With us a new Splinter Cell, stealth orientated, in a mission based structure, and a smaller/leaner Assassin's Creed.

Yeah... I kinda feel the same way. But also I don't want to write them off. They gave me Splinter Cell 1-3, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Rogue & Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. And I want to believe that fans have spoken with their wallets, and Ubisoft have listened and will return to their glory days. With us a new Splinter Cell, stealth orientated, in a mission based structure, and a smaller/leaner Assassin's Creed.

Agreed (with most of those titles) but most of those are so old, I don't think the old Ubisoft is even involved these days. It's the same thing with Rockstar or Valve anymore - the company has changed so dramatically that the old developer I once loved is entirely different (and usually inferior) now.

Agreed (with most of those titles) but most of those are so old, I don't think the old Ubisoft is even involved these days. It's the same thing with Rockstar or Valve anymore - the company has changed so dramatically that the old developer I once loved is entirely different (and usually inferior) now.

Believe it or not, but Splinter Cell is 20 year old this year! I get what you're saying, but a part of me want to hope that they can shrug off the industry practices that they have embraced in recent years, and return to their former glory.
    I wish I was that optimistic!
    https://www.gamesradar.com/the-next-assassins-creed-game-is-reportedly-called-assassins-creed-mirage/

A smaller, stealth orientated, back to basics AC game has my interest, but so does this talk of a remake of the original AC game. Keep characters story, and setting, but add in new game play mechanics, and that is all that is needed. In spite of it's small game play loop, still ranks amongst my favourite AC games.
    Ubisofts showcase is today, time depends on where you are. For the UK, it's tonight at 20:00. Along with the future of Assassin's Creed, hopefully we'll get something on the Splinter Cell remake/reboot.
    Fingers crossed. I'm desperate for some Splinter Cell news. I haven't been an AC fan since despising the third one but I do enjoy hearing the new one is returning to the series' roots somewhat.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Fingers crossed. I'm desperate for some Splinter Cell news. I haven't been an AC fan since despising the third one but I do enjoy hearing the new one is returning to the series' roots somewhat.

I kind of felt the same way. AC3 killed my interest, though to be fair, the Ezio trilogy never clicked with me. Black Flag, which I didn't play for months after release (I had it recommended to me by someone online), jump-started my love of the series. I didn't like Rogue to begin with, but in the years since, I have come to appreciate how it adds depth to the Assassin's v Temlplar war. Unity was quite good by the time that I got around to playing it, most, if not all, of the launch bugs had been fixed. Syndicate, with it's twin protagonists (one is more of a pugilist, the other is stealthy*) and Industrial Revolution London setting, immediately became one of my favourites. And then came Origins, which I never finished. Gear Scores... why, Ubisoft, WHY???? I have a copy of Odyssey, but I haven't touched it. And that's as far as I have gotten.

For what it's worth, in spite of it's gameplay limitation(s), I still rate the original game highly. This talk of a remake of the original AC game, has my undivided attention.

* No guesses as to which one I favoured.
    It sounded like as the next few post-III went on, they included the same stuff I didn't care for and doubled down on the things I loathed. Then the series turned into something else entirely (at least from the gameplay videos I've seen of the last two) and looked like giant, endless, open world games that were way more combat-oriented than anything to do with being a stealthy assassin.

Hence, I'd love my SC fix (though I'd gladly take one of the more action-oriented installments from recent years too. I miss these games so much.)
    I think it's Odyssey that led AC down the path it is currently on. Large open world maps are one thing, but maps so full of fat that could easily be trimmed and still give plays a big map to explore are something else.

Definitely look into trying Black Flag. It has better characters than AC3 (and not just because Edward Kenway is from the same place as I) but also the Naval combat, which is so so fun, is a large part of the game.
    I think it's Odyssey that led AC down the path it is currently on. Large open world maps are one thing, but maps so full of fat that could easily be trimmed and still give plays a big map to explore are something else.

Definitely look into trying Black Flag. It has better characters than AC3 (and not just because Edward Kenway is from the same place as I) but also the Naval combat, which is so so fun, is a large part of the game.

Agreed. I'm all for huge maps but only when they're entertaining to traverse and packed with content and sights. GTA V is a prime example of an overly large map that holds almost nothing enticing on offer. It's a chore to travel.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I grew up with AC2 and Brotherhood and I am currently going through a very obsessive phase with Odyssey, I love it but I feel like you could remove any reference to Assassins and not much would change and I'd still enjoy it for Kassandra and Ancient Greece alone. That being said I do miss just parkouring round a European city in the past so I'm a couple hours into playing Unity for the first time.
    I grew up with AC2 and Brotherhood and I am currently going through a very obsessive phase with Odyssey, I love it but I feel like you could remove any reference to Assassins and not much would change and I'd still enjoy it for Kassandra and Ancient Greece alone. That being said I do miss just parkouring round a European city in the past so I'm a couple hours into playing Unity for the first time.

AC2 was my favorite, a really great improvement on the original that was such a blast to complete 100%.

I'm still slowly working through Skyrim Survival Mode for the first time still (playing the Anniversary Edition on PS5 with all the Creation Club content) and it's such a blast. It's amazing how much it changes your play style while adding some great roleplaying elements instead of attacking the game the same way I always have. This'll tide me over until this next-gen update for The Witcher 3 finally hits (which they seem to have confirmed the other day that it will arrive by the end of the year).

Anybody played the new Saints Row? I've always loved the series so will check it out eventually but at a serious price drop. It seems rather generic on a lot of fronts and I've heard it's incredibly buggy (which doesn't surprise me and is a big reason why I've avoided day one purchases these last couple of years, past a title or two here that was clearly worth it).
    I've not played the new Saints Row, but going off only what I have heard, it sounds like it has landed with a splat.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,104

Audio description is on all the trailers I have watched so far for some reason?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,882
    - Not going to lie, Mirage looks awesome, hearing the tenets of the Creed being spoken... you're tickling my fancy now, Ubisoft. Don't drop the ball on this.

- Fans have been asking for an Asian set AC game.... so Ubisoft make one for mobile. Ouch.

- Ok, two new AC games on moble.

- Hearing about the AC series for Netflix, reminds me that I never got around to seeing the film.

- Codename: Red, what exactly is this, did I miss something? Is it the aforementioned mobile game?

- AC haven't given up on multiplayer.

- No mention of the AC1 remake.

Also, nothing whatsoever on Splinter Cell.
    - Not going to lie, Mirage looks awesome, hearing the tenets of the Creed being spoken... you're tickling my fancy now, Ubisoft. Don't drop the ball on this.

- Fans have been asking for an Asian set AC game.... so Ubisoft make one for mobile. Ouch.

- Ok, two new AC games on moble.

- Hearing about the AC series for Netflix, reminds me that I never got around to seeing the film.

- Codename: Red, what exactly is this, did I miss something? Is it the aforementioned mobile game?

- AC haven't given up on multiplayer.

- No mention of the AC1 remake.

Also, nothing whatsoever on Splinter Cell.

I never bothered with the film, bad reviews put me off.

AC games are hit and miss for me, I have half heartedly played Odyssey despite buying the game twice. Mirage looks good though, looking forward to seeing in game footage.