The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What's the European NF runtime? I see the one here in the U.S. at 1h53m. I can't find the Chinese cut runtime to compare sadly.

yep, same here.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    That beard was superlative, man!
    And yes, I love the bullet removal sequence early on. His physical acting there is outstanding and I love the way he wipes the knife across his pant leg several times before digging the bullet out.

There's a real "awh shit, here we go again" body language to him during that entire sequence which is absolutely marvelous. He hasn't said a word in the film yet, and already he manages to convey that this guy has been through a lot in life.

100%. His lack of dialogue is a strength here, forcing him to reveal the character through his agony and struggles. His pain reminded me of a very similar scene in Tarantino's Death Proof.

What I like about it is he only allows himself to let out the pain hrough his voice, while the rest of him remains in control and focused on the task at hand.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    New shot of Brosnan in Black Adam has been released:

black-adam-pierce-brosnan.jpeg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
    He is such a dude.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Dude's the word - no doubt.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

He looks great.

He looks great.

Handsome as ever!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Pierce Brosnan was livid with James Bond replacement: ‘It’s juvenile!’

He recalled the conversation: “She was crying, Michael was stoic and he said, ‘You were a great James Bond. Thank you very much,’ and I said, ‘Thank you very much. Goodbye.’ That was it.

“I was utterly shocked and just kicked to the curb with the way it went down.”
    He said: “It’s shocking to be told that you’re too old, that you’re past your sell-by date.

“It’s bloody frustrating that the f*****s pulled out the rug when they did.”

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1661177/pierce-brosnan-james-bond-die-another-day-daniel-craig-film-spt
    edited August 2022 Posts: 554

He recalled the conversation: “She was crying, Michael was stoic and he said, ‘You were a great James Bond. Thank you very much,’ and I said, ‘Thank you very much. Goodbye.’ That was it.

He said: “It’s shocking to be told that you’re too old, that you’re past your sell-by date.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1661177/pierce-brosnan-james-bond-die-another-day-daniel-craig-film-spt
    I was surprised he still seems so annoyed about it, but then I thought I may well hold a grudge if I was him too.

Edit: the interview is from 2005, I'm an idiot.

I was surprised he still seems so annoyed about it, but then I thought I may well hold a grudge if I was him too.

He's probably still annoyed about it ?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,482
    I grew up with Pierce's Bond, not only with the films but the games, so I have soft spot for his Bond but they made the right decision to change when they did

Pierce should have accepted their decision, the same way Timothy did when Pierce was cast in 94. I remember before Daniel was cast in 2005, Pierce was constantly in the papers wanting his job back. It just came across as really bitter, which I don't think Pierce is at all.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,748
    I'm sure it wasn't an easy conversation to have, and I can see why Pierce felt he was being 'kicked to the curb', but it was definitely the right thing to do. I remember seeing these sorts of headlines from Brosnan at the time. It's a shame, because really in that situation he could have controlled the narrative. "I had a great run, and it's been one of the best jobs I've ever had, but it's time to let someone else take over" etc. As it was the impression I got was that the producers were not happy with him and he was fired (which doesn't seem to have been the case).
    I remember picking up a TV Guide or something that had the announcement of his tenure ending and feeling crushed and hopeless, only for Craig to shatter my mind with CR a few years later. Of course I would've loved just one more installment that could've gotten things back on track but it was the right decision in the end.
    I think it was a money issue basically as he was building a massive house in malibu which cost a lot.
    He probably thought he would make 2-3 more and was promised another 1 at least after DAD by eon.

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/lifestyle/design/pierce-brosnan-malibu-mansion-orchid-house/
    edited August 2022 Posts: 554
    Following DAD's release Pierce talked about wanting to do a darker FRWL style film. I imagine it stung a bit that they let him go while doing just that for the next one.
    Following DAD's release Pierce talked about wanting to do a darker FRWL style film. I imagine it stung a bit that they let him go while doing just that for the next one.

I'll always feel for Brosnan because the Craig era is clearly the type of run he personally wanted his take on Bond to be, but by the end in DAD, it's anything but. Must've really stung for him to end his era on such a note only to see Craig come in and knock it out of the park with exactly what he was after all along.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

It really hurts. I can understand Brosnan. He was the only Bond who was somewhat fired. A 5th Brosnan Bond film would have been something though. It would have definitely been a more grounded Bond film. There was no reason for it not to happen, but it seems Barbara & Michael wanted to move on.
  • I sympathize with Brosnan too. It’s a real crappy thing to get fired over a telephone call. I understand that’s the nature of the business, but for the man who kind of singlehandly revived your film franchise, a bit more of a dignified exit would’ve done.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,035
    I sympathize with Brosnan too. It’s a real crappy thing to get fired over a telephone call. I understand that’s the nature of the business, but for the man who kind of singlehandly revived your film franchise, a bit more of a dignified exit would’ve done.

It also came down to money. Brosnan wanted $25m for a fifth Bond film. And he wasnt fired, he was out of contract.
  • Mallory wrote: »
    I sympathize with Brosnan too. It’s a real crappy thing to get fired over a telephone call. I understand that’s the nature of the business, but for the man who kind of singlehandly revived your film franchise, a bit more of a dignified exit would’ve done.

It also came down to money. Brosnan wanted $25m for a fifth Bond film. And he wasnt fired, he was out of contract.

Even if he was out of the contract, it was still practically a firing. Kind of like how employers would phrase it as “We’ll have to let you go”, it’s still the same thing pretty much.
    Mallory wrote: »

Even if he was out of the contract, it was still practically a firing. Kind of like how employers would phrase it as “We’ll have to let you go”, it’s still the same thing pretty much.

Not really! Brosnan was a Producer himself. He was long enough in the business to know about contracts. He had a 3 picture deal with an option of a 4th, which was DAD! They were under no obligation to keep him on, and despite the films success, box office wise, they surely felt as some of us did, the films were going nowhere with him in the role! It was totally the right decision, and their 'gamble' on Craig proved correct, and the boost the series needed!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

He's probably still annoyed about it ?

I can’t say I feel sorry for him if he’s still annoyed. He did four Bond films, not many can actually make that claim.

I highly doubt he’s still miffed about it, but if he is, that just makes him look like a poor loser.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,009
    I don't think he's that type of person, to be honest. Maybe at the time, it stung, and understandably so. But the linked article that kicked this discussion off is from that time. He's talked a lot in a humbling way about how he was lucky to have played the part for as long as he did.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

They were under no obligation to keep him on, and despite the films success, box office wise, they surely felt as some of us did, the films were going nowhere with him in the role! It was totally the right decision, and their 'gamble' on Craig proved correct, and the boost the series needed!

This is irrelevant to what @007ClassicBondFan actually said though. Not having your contract renewed is the same thing as being let go, in essence. Whether the gamble was proven to be correct or not doesn't change that. The series wasn't exactly in the doldrums at the time, either - they were doing very well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,999
    “Fired” is a bit dramatic.

Brosnan had finished his contract, then demanded for more money. Eon decided to look elsewhere.

@Mathis1 is 100% correct that Eon was under no obligation to bring back Brosnan for another.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,009
    Exactly why I used the term "let go". Nobody's ever under the obligation to keep anyone, that much is obvious. The key part is that the actor wanted to come back. That's what makes it a "letting go" scenario rather than him just finishing his contract and sailing off into the sunset.
    I remember him being on TV after DAD had come out and being asked about the news stories about other people being cast as Bond, and he said something along the lines of "wait your turn guys, I'm not done yet!" with a cheeky smile. I thought it was dead cool. I've not seen the clip since.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,006
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Not really! Brosnan was a Producer himself. He was long enough in the business to know about contracts. He had a 3 picture deal with an option of a 4th, which was DAD! They were under no obligation to keep him on, and despite the films success, box office wise, they surely felt as some of us did, the films were going nowhere with him in the role! It was totally the right decision, and their 'gamble' on Craig proved correct, and the boost the series needed!

I’m not questioning the decision to let him go. I’m questioning the decision to do it over a phone call. You can say all you want about the man, and his films, but to still practically dump him over a phone call when he was the man who helped saved this franchise from the brink of death is an undignified move on the part of Broccoli and Wilson. The least they could’ve done was tell him in person.
    “Fired” is a bit dramatic.

Brosnan had finished his contract, then demanded for more money. Eon decided to look elsewhere.

@Mathis1 is 100% correct that Eon was under no obligation to bring back Brosnan for another.

But it’s not like Brosnan was in the wrong for asking to earn more. He was a huge part in why those films were successful despite reviews. It was no different than Craig negotiating for a higher wage for NTTD, and just because EON felt no obligation to continue with Brosnan, does not mean the way they went about telling Brosnan was okay.