OMEGA appreciation thread (formerly Reliable Omega replica watches?)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had an Omega as a kid. Or it could have been just a replicate.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I kinda like the green, although I have rarely worn anything green throughout my life, except for maybe that one time I was gifted a Godzilla T-shirt back in the 90s. I mean I just wore it that one time.

Of course, Bond has already worn a green SMP in the TWINE video game, complete with gadgets and two subdials but zero pushers! No helium valve either:

52292177623_de3b86f716_o.png

52291179807_7d3408e491_z.jpg
    52292160123_34efb9d298_o.png
    ^game watch in the flesh, which has a very smart, almost olive green bezel. 🤙
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited August 2022 Posts: 972
    Wow you never fail to amaze me @QBranch! I had no idea of that green watch in the game. Looks like just a generic watch that's shaped like a Seamaster minus the helium valve and logo. It even has the iconic Bond bracelet. Good job in recreating it in real life!
    I'm jealous of everyone here who has an Omega. My favourite of the Bond Omegas is the PO from Skyfall... beautiful.

That is beautiful but really heavy and sits tall on the wrist. I tried it on years ago. It really stood out and yes very heavy. It's no wonder Daniel Craig had Omega do a custom "one of a kind" titanium PO for filming the Istanbul action scenes in Skyfall where he had to wear the watch. Probably also why he wore the slightly lighter Aqua Terra throughout the rest of the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He had a titanium PO? I’ve never heard that before.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    mtm wrote: »

Yep, it was auctioned as part of the 50th anniversary.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/news/christies-auction-reveals-skyfall-products
    imranbecks wrote: »
    I'm jealous of everyone here who has an Omega. My favourite of the Bond Omegas is the PO from Skyfall... beautiful.

That is beautiful but really heavy and sits tall on the wrist. I tried it on years ago. It really stood out and yes very heavy. It's no wonder Daniel Craig had Omega do a custom "one of a kind" titanium PO for filming the Istanbul action scenes in Skyfall where he had to wear the watch. Probably also why he wore the slightly lighter Aqua Terra throughout the rest of the movie.

Talking of weight, I tried on the NTTD Omega Diver 300 with the Milanese strap and was amazed at how light it was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,970
    Mallory wrote: »

Yep, it was auctioned as part of the 50th anniversary.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/news/christies-auction-reveals-skyfall-products

Very cool, thank you. Here it is: https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-skyfall-5601807/

It raised just a bit more than its estimate :-O

Talking of weight, I tried on the NTTD Omega Diver 300 with the Milanese strap and was amazed at how light it was.

Yeah it's the advantage of titanium; I wish there were more about! The Tudor Pelagos is a nice option.
    If Mr Craig liked that special SF PO then I bet he specified titanium for the NTTD watch too. Although if they wanted a lighter PO for filming I kind of wonder why they didn't just take the movement out! :D
    Wow you never fail to amaze me @QBranch! I had no idea of that green watch in the game. Looks like just a generic watch that's shaped like a Seamaster minus the helium valve and logo. It even has the iconic Bond bracelet. Good job in recreating it in real life!
    Thanks mate! In the game, it has a record four (!) gadgets, but I have yet to add an 'optional extra' to it. This is one of three Brosnan-era game watches I've made - I'll show the others at a later date. Here's some more angles:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52295847131_f7b8a0dd0c_o.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52294861777_9781066d64_o.png
    I'm jealous of everyone here who has an Omega.
    Same! I could've had a 2531.80 by now, but thought I would get more joy out of a heap of miscellaneous Bond gear for the same cost.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Does anyone remember the interview DC did on the Johnathon Ross show where 'wossie' got Dan to donate his Omega (one he wore in one of the films - QoS perhaps?) to Children in Need or Comic Relief (I forget which). DC was caught off guard and was most reluctant to part with the watch but - with the audience looking on - had no choice but to hand it over.

Personally I'd have batted it back, saying only if JR matched the winning bid price from his own pocket.

That goes without saying.

I tried it on as well ;)

51498671426_3061eae46e_b.jpg
    Like the NTTD one a lot, since I first laid eyes on it.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,060
    When it was first announced I wasnt too keen on it. But having seen it in person several times, tried it on, and seen it in the film, I have come around on it a lot.

I still think the Seamaster 300 with the nato strap from Spectre is the best Craig watch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,970
    I loved it to start with, but I have since started to wonder if it's a bit... showy? It seems to draw attention to itself in a way the other ones don't somehow (well maybe the 300, because it's the height of a Coke can :D ).

But if you like it, you can buy the real thing, as worn by Daniel Craig, here:

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6385176?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6385176&from=salessummary&lid=1

Or if you prefer his AT:

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6385187?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6385187&from=salessummary&lid=1
    I just really like SMPs. Can't say I'm a fan of NTTD's tapered HEV though, which makes it look like it's from a different brand watch. The SP 300 might be my favourite from the Craig era too.
    When it was first announced I wasnt too keen on it. But having seen it in person several times, tried it on, and seen it in the film, I have come around on it a lot.

I still think the Seamaster 300 with the nato strap from Spectre is the best Craig watch.

I'm wearing the Spectre style 300 today. Not the true Spectre, but Spectre-ish with the nato strap ;)

52297220862_254d9b7232_b.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All I remember about mine, is that it had a blue dial and there were numbers on it.
    I loved it to start with, but I have since started to wonder if it's a bit... showy? It seems to draw attention to itself in a way the other ones don't somehow (well maybe the 300, because it's the height of a Coke can :D ).

But if you like it, you can buy the real thing, as worn by Daniel Craig, here:

Or if you prefer his AT:

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6385187?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6385187&from=salessummary&lid=1
    Lovely piece that AT. Probably the most photogenic watch that I own. I was happy to see it return in No Time To Die and see fleeting glimpses of it in the opening sequence in Matera.

52212853614_2a0d05a4bc_b.jpg
    I've just found a replica Omega Seamaster in one of my bedroom drawers. I'd forgotten all about it. Unfortunately the system won't allow me to post a photo but It has a blue face/hands and steel body/strap. It's quite a chunky thing. I googled 'Omega Seamaster blue face' but the results bear little resemblance to mine. I suspect it's some sort of design mashup done at the Chinese 'Omega' factory.

BTW it doesn't work properly. It runs for so long then the action seizes up; an illustration of the perils of buying knock-off.
    stag wrote: »
    I've just found a replica Omega Seamaster in one of my bedroom drawers. I'd forgotten all about it. Unfortunately the system won't allow me to post a photo but It has a blue face/hands and steel body/strap. It's quite a chunky thing. I googled 'Omega Seamaster blue face' but the results bear little resemblance to mine. I suspect it's some sort of design mashup done at the Chinese 'Omega' factory.

BTW it doesn't work properly. It runs for so long then the action seizes up; an illustration of the perils of buying knock-off.

When it comes to Bond and Omega, the only blue dial he has ever worn would be the the AT or the iconic SMP. Does it look anything like this? There were plenty of poor Chinese fakes based off of this model back then.

52289977890_426b855ee0_b.jpg
    @imranbecks no, the bezel is steel with 'tachymetre' and numbers etched into it. The hands, Omega title, logo and Seamaster are a slightly different blue to the face but have a sort of pearlescent quality. It also had three subdials at 3,6 and 9 o'clock. I've had another look on the internet and can't find anything which comes close.

Looking at the watch now the hour markings are a deep purple colour with tiny white rectangles on the outer edge. The face itself is plain (no 'wavy' lines).

Despite my description it's actually a handsome watch and it's looks are what drew me to it. I know I purchased it abroad somewhere, but as I have also collected a few 'Rolex's' during foreign trips, I can't remember where.
    Further to the above there's two buttons, one either side of the winder. They and the subdial are there for show as pressing them makes nothing happen.
    @imranbecks no, the bezel is steel with 'tachymetre' and numbers etched into it. The hands, Omega title, logo and Seamaster are a slightly different blue to the face but have a sort of pearlescent quality. It also had three subdials at 3,6 and 9 o'clock. I've had another look on the internet and can't find anything which comes close.

Looking at the watch now the hour markings are a deep purple colour with tiny white rectangles on the outer edge. The face itself is plain (no 'wavy' lines).

Despite my description it's actually a handsome watch and it's looks are what drew me to it. I know I purchased it abroad somewhere, but as I have also collected a few 'Rolex's' during foreign trips, I can't remember where.

That sounds so wrong. Sounds like it's a mix of a Seamaster and a Speedmaster. Actually perhaps it's more of a Speedmaster than a Seamaster. A Tachymeter bezel is always on the Speedmaster models, never on the Seamaster. The 3 sub dials and the 2 push buttons with the crown in the centre definitely describes it as a chronograph watch. Pretty sure it's a Speedmaster copy but with Seamaster on the dial because it's a poor fake.

Here's a standard Omega Speedmaster model, aka the Moonwatch. There have been many variations of this such as different dial colour, bezel colour etc, but this is the typical, original look of the Moonwatch.

52299029742_a65731bc44_b.jpg
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,053
    That's definitely like the design of my fake. The 'seamaster' is so small that I've had to get a spyglass onto it to make sure it's not 'speedmaster' (old eyes). WRT the sub dials, they are smaller than your illustration. I would imagine it's the same weight as the real thing as it's quite heavy. I can't compare weight with my real Omega as that one is a dress watch.

When I bought the thing I think it only cost the equivalent of £10 (£10 then).

While The 'seapeedmaster' never worked properly, the other fake Seamaster (again, and given your comments, that must be a hybrid design), is the same configuration as that but with a rose gold dial, white hands/hour markers, and black bezel with the 'tachymeter' markings in silver. It describes itself an an Omega Seamaster 50th anniversary limited edition 1957, complete with seahorse logo. Logo at 12 o'clock, seamaster underneath then the Omega symbol and Omega below.

I'd forgotten about that watch when I made my original comment a page or so ago but, in complete contrast to the other one it has proved utterly reliable and keeps perfect time. In fact I wear it as my daily wristwatch. It's an automatic. From memory I believe I purchased it in the Caribbean and again for a matter of about £15 roughly twelve years ago.

Added as an edit: My spyglass reveals that the 50th anniversary watch says 'speedmaster' not 'seamaster'.
    This belongs on the nato strap.

52296235404_19d4404766_b.jpg
    Bond's Omega watches throughout the years. All except the SMP 2531.80 used from TND to DAD is in this picture. Credits to whoever owns this collection. I can only dream of having them all together like this..

52292117540_c73f7969d9_b.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have to be honest, if I came into that collection somehow the first thing I would do is sell it all off and pocket the cash.

All except the SF PO, of course. ;) I've never been too interested in the Aqua Terras, but the Planet Oceans to me are just so iconic. The bold round diver's bezel is just so stand-out.
    Wearing the Aqua Terra today. So photogenic.

52307113716_046d63e84f_b.jpg
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,343
    I have to be honest, if I came into that collection somehow the first thing I would do is sell it all off and pocket the cash.

All except the SF PO, of course. ;) I've never been too interested in the Aqua Terras, but the Planet Oceans to me are just so iconic. The bold round diver's bezel is just so stand-out.

I’d sell most of them and buy something different (and more prestigious) like an AP or a Patek…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Does anyone remember the interview DC did on the Johnathon Ross show where 'wossie' got Dan to donate his Omega (one he wore in one of the films - QoS perhaps?) to Children in Need or Comic Relief (I forget which). DC was caught off guard and was most reluctant to part with the watch but - with the audience looking on - had no choice but to hand it over.

Personally I'd have batted it back, saying only if JR matched the winning bid price from his own pocket.

Is this the one...?

Fast forward to around 12:40. That was a shitty move on Ross' part, putting Craig on the spot like that, but then Ross has always been a bit of a tit.