The (non-Bond) films of PIERCE BROSNAN

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @mattjoes, Prosky will forever be terrifying to me because of Thief.

I once had a nightmare where I was laying on the ground and Prosky was standing over me threatening to have my wife raped because of that scene. I'm not even married!
    @mattjoes, Prosky will forever be terrifying to me because of Thief. He's brilliant in that one and really great here.
    Prosky is really menacing in that scene where Caan is on the floor. Especially after coming across as so warm and grandfatherly when Caan went to thank him for the child. I feel the movie didn't get the ending right but there is a lot of good stuff in it.

It's been a few days so I'll bump this. I checked out Murder 101 last night, was surprised again at how entertaining it was. Of course, it's always showing its low budget, bad script and made-for-TV quality but it kept me guessing until the final twist, even if it's only shocking and unexpected because of how impossible it is. Still, I've seen worse TV films and I've certainly seen worse out of Brosnan's filmography.
    It's amazing what a low bar can do for these movies!
    In fact, I have often found many movies, while not necessarily outstanding overall, have great moments in them. So it's interesting to seek out different types of movies and discover these moments, rather than going solely for the most acclaimed films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @mattjoes, Prosky will forever be terrifying to me because of Thief.

I once had a nightmare where I was laying on the ground and Prosky was standing over me threatening to have my wife raped because of that scene. I'm not even married!

Dude's so scary that he invites himself into your nightmares like Freddy Krueger!

@mattjoes, I personally really, really, really love the finale. It may get a little fantastical and strange but Tangerine Dream turned up to an 11 and Caan mowing bad guys down after all he endured is just so damn satisfying.

Damn, I'm going to have to make some time to rewatch my Criterion of that this weekend, I think.
    Awesome.

DiscreteBetterBlacklab-size_restricted.gif
  • I'd really love Quentin Tarantino go cast Brosnan for a career rejuvenation like what he did for Travolta in Pulp Fiction.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I'd really love Quentin Tarantino go cast Brosnan for a career rejuvenation like what he did for Travolta in Pulp Fiction.
    That'd be brilliant.
    I rewatched The Tailor of Panama last night, one of my favorites and one of the best from Brosnan, who plays an MI6 spy who is even sleazier than Bond is. The supporting cast is excellent, I love the Panamanian atmosphere, and the dark humor on display is rich. This is a subgenre that I think Brosnan excels at, since he plays a similar character in The Matador, which is absolutely my non-Bond favorite from him.

I hadn't seen this one in a very long time but I remember getting it on blu-ray as a gift many, many years back and watching it constantly, so a lot of the scenes and lines were familiar to me.
    I rewatched The Tailor of Panama last night, one of my favorites and one of the best from Brosnan, who plays an MI6 spy who is even sleazier than Bond is. The supporting cast is excellent, I love the Panamanian atmosphere, and the dark humor on display is rich. This is a subgenre that I think Brosnan excels at, since he plays a similar character in The Matador, which is absolutely my non-Bond favorite from him.

I hadn't seen this one in a very long time but I remember getting it on blu-ray as a gift many, many years back and watching it constantly, so a lot of the scenes and lines were familiar to me.

I love this movie. The title sequence is fantastic, in visuals and music. I also enjoy very much Brosnan's scene at the British Embassy. The very diplomatic ambassador, the male aide who wants to give Osnard a hard time until he stops him cold, the sexual tension between Osnard and Francesca... that bit with the safe where she wonders if it was even closed in the first place. "Is this guy really skilled at opening safes, or really skilled at conning people?"

I also find the way Brosnan holds his arms behind his back interesting.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,372
    mattjoes wrote: »

I love this movie. The title sequence is fantastic, in visuals and music. I also enjoy very much Brosnan's scene at the British Embassy. The very diplomatic ambassador, the male aide who wants to give Osnard a hard time until he stops him cold, the sexual tension between Osnard and Francesca... that bit with the safe where she wonders if it was even closed in the first place. "Is this guy really skilled at opening safes, or really skilled at conning people?"

"Just TIGHT from lack of use."

That whole sequence was great. I've always liked the film but it's been quite a few years since I last saw it and I didn't remember it being this consistently great from start to finish. Even when everything kicks off in the finale and Osnard makes that mad dash to the airport, I love it.

That whole sequence was great. I've always liked the film but it's been quite a few years since I last saw it and I didn't remember it being this consistently great from start to finish. Even when everything kicks off in the finale and Osnard makes that mad dash to the airport, I love it.

I really need to rewatch it along with The Matador and a few other ones. And the Bond films. NTTD excepted, I haven't seen one since AVTAK in Oct 2020, and before that, FYEO in Nov 2019.

I really need to rewatch it along with The Matador and a few other ones. And the Bond films. NTTD excepted, I haven't seen one since AVTAK in Oct 2020, and before that, FYEO in Nov 2019.

I'm in the same boat regarding Bond films in general almost, though I last saw one in the form of NTTD when it released in 4K. Nothing since but I'm itching for a Bondathon more and more lately.
  • Looking forward to Black Adam immensely. Brosnan looks classy in trailer.. Also heard sketchy rumours he may be in running to play Admiral Thrawn in an upcoming Star Wars spin-off. That would be fantastic.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Looking forward to Black Adam immensely. Brosnan looks classy in trailer.. Also heard sketchy rumours he may be in running to play Admiral Thrawn in an upcoming Star Wars spin-off. That would be fantastic.
    I'd love to see that.
    New update:

I watched Grey Owl for the first time, found it fairly charming though lacking the scale of other similar works. It feels a bit safe for a real life story about a white man hiding out as a Native American all his life, but as usual, I've seen way worse from Brosnan's filmography and it was nice to see him as a period piece trapper who eventually transforms into an environmentalist through love.

I rewatched Evelyn, which I hadn't seen since a few years after it first released; again, commendable effort, pretty charming if not mawkish and melodramatic, and I do find it odd how Evelyn-centric the film is, in title and all, for a story about a man trying to get back his three children. I swear, his two boys are entirely sidelined until the ending, it felt like.

I'm now watching Christmas From Hollywood, some cat puke holiday documentary that I'm assuming will show a two second flash of Brosnan's beautiful face in a parade to justify its inclusion in his filmography. I'd love to be watching just about anything else but alas.
    New update:

I watched Grey Owl for the first time, found it fairly charming though lacking the scale of other similar works. It feels a bit safe for a real life story about a white man hiding out as a Native American all his life, but as usual, I've seen way worse from Brosnan's filmography and it was nice to see him as a period piece trapper who eventually transforms into an environmentalist through love.

I rewatched Evelyn, which I hadn't seen since a few years after it first released; again, commendable effort, pretty charming if not mawkish and melodramatic, and I do find it odd how Evelyn-centric the film is, in title and all, for a story about a man trying to get back his three children. I swear, his two boys are entirely sidelined until the ending, it felt like.

I'm now watching Christmas From Hollywood, some cat puke holiday documentary that I'm assuming will show a two second flash of Brosnan's beautiful face in a parade to justify its inclusion in his filmography. I'd love to be watching just about anything else but alas.

Are you going to cover his episodic TV appearances too? All of Remington Steele, guest stints...
    New update:

Are you going to cover his episodic TV appearances too? All of Remington Steele, guest stints...

I'm afraid not; I took this on through my Letterboxd profile so I'm just trying to watch all of his films/TV movie appearances (or what I lazily consider as such). I may eventually check out those few six hour long miniseries he did early on but I figure once I get through the remaining 20-25 films I've yet to log, I'll probably call it there and move on to a new actor or director or something to work on.
    Curious to see How Brosnan will perform in the Black Adam movie?
  • EmilioLargoEmilioLargo Dublin, Ireland
    Very likeable actor. I particularly like him in No Escape, Survivor, The November Man, After The Sunset, The Foriegner, Butterfly On A Wheel, Taffin, The Ghost Writer and many more. Yes he's made a few duds but he always gives it his best. Good Bond too.....
    I've now got my 70th Brosnan film logged on Letterboxd with Some Kind Of Beautiful. It was hot trash but Brosnan looked fantastic and clearly had some fun in filming it. Still, I've seen way worse in his filmography, surprisingly.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I watched The King's Daughter on Friday night with a friend. We came ready to be appalled and we were NOT disappointed.

I can't put it better than this review:

The King’s Daughter: Pierce Brosnan’s cursed mermaid stabbing movie finally gets released

We had a good time. The absinthe cocktails helped.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I watched The King's Daughter on Friday night with a friend. We came ready to be appalled and we were NOT disappointed.

I can't put it better than this review:

The King’s Daughter: Pierce Brosnan’s cursed mermaid stabbing movie finally gets released

We had a good time. The absinthe cocktails helped.

That's the spirit. That's surely the only way one could get entertainment out of that movie. Now try it with that new Cinderella he's in, that one looks particularly horrible.
  • Cinderella was appalling but can't be blamed on Pierce. He needs a hit movie though.
    I'm not the first to say it, and it might be stated above this comment - I've not read all the posts - but: The Thomas Crown Affair is a better Bond movie than Pierce's official Bond movies.
    Please don't jump all over this comment by pointing out T Crown is not a spy, and so on. The comment OBVIOUSLY is about style, coolness, a script that works well, great casting all round, pacing, and genuine chemistry between two leads both mature enough to be a couple together.
    Pierce wrapping up filming on The Last Rifleman:

296761608_609095887238363_5995371466973682587_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Uth5-weehOYAX_mrPVg&_nc_oc=AQn1l6SNhDv8rcrNrhZtd2sefT-ffRbSlN_cRXEXoVprZeabZ-aso6XVeRMKmJlM7vc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AT-mBoSeXNqkqk-dMtMOD731Qy2jyNW4LEroxbbFEPFqNg&oe=62F44E30
    Thanks for sharing. This should be an interesting performance to watch.

296761608_609095887238363_5995371466973682587_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Uth5-weehOYAX_mrPVg&_nc_oc=AQn1l6SNhDv8rcrNrhZtd2sefT-ffRbSlN_cRXEXoVprZeabZ-aso6XVeRMKmJlM7vc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AT-mBoSeXNqkqk-dMtMOD731Qy2jyNW4LEroxbbFEPFqNg&oe=62F44E30

Good heavens ! Goes to show ya - good makeup, hairstyling and lighting can help a person appear much younger.

...and for those who would jump all over this comment - and this website shows there are MANY of those - YES ! It's a joke ! YES ! I am quite certain that in the picture taken PB is made up to look older than his own actual age. And YES ! Relax and get a life !

Why does the expression "Drink...Feck...Girls!" keep coming into my head?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Since62 wrote: »
    And YES ! Relax and get a life !

My God man, calm down.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 40,372
    Since62 wrote: »

Good heavens ! Goes to show ya - good makeup, hairstyling and lighting can help a person appear much younger.

...and for those who would jump all over this comment - and this website shows there are MANY of those - YES ! It's a joke ! YES ! I am quite certain that in the picture taken PB is made up to look older than his own actual age. And YES ! Relax and get a life !

I'm not sure what the insinuation behind "this website shows there are MANY of those" is. It's a weird comment to make anyway, like you're getting ahead of controversy that isn't coming or outrage that doesn't exist.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I hope he got compensated handsomely for having to lose the magnificent beard he'd been sporting!