It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    David Arnold and Marc Forster were both in attendence at a dinner recently for BB and MGW's celebration. The producers explained they will reinvent Bond....hopefully with Arnold and Forster doing what they've done best for the series.

A man can dream.

Truth.
  • Agree with you all - CR/QOS was the best iteration of Craig-Bond tonally.
    Agree with you all - CR/QOS was the best iteration of Craig-Bond tonally.

Agree 100%. It seemed like from Skyfall onward that we increasingly went back more to the forced gags and unnatural humor (bad one liners). Spectre was pretty rough for me. PTS was great, then....that stupid music played when the helicopter 🚁 went upside down. Instantly made me think of Roger Moore and the “double-taking pigeon.” Why on earth would they put that in there? Why the fixation to turn Craig into Roger Moore? CR/QOS are my two favorite movies ever. Oh yeah, what about when DC fell into the chair into Spectre? Eye roll city. I made sure and waited on the credits to see that it said James Bond Daniel Craig and not Roger Moore. I thought all the other Bond actors (good, bad or ugly) were consistent on tone, but not Craig’s-his was all over the place after the first two. And that’s a shame. With this “reinvention” coming up, it will probably be the end of Bond as we know it.

Good points about Craig wasting his talent by trying to be a little Moore-like at times. Please elaborate on why the reinvention will be the end of Bond as we know it. I have a similar feeling but can't articulate why.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 1,280
    While the gags and humor is not welcome and shall not be welcome by many folks these days, Roger Moore was a class act as an actor. Amazing how although his Bond really did feel like a parody, as SC put it, he was able to engage everyone from the series one way or another. Even SC was friends with him. We're talking about SC, a man who despised his experience as Bond for feeling shortchanged both creatively and financially over the years.

DC got the blessing and praise from all the previous Bonds and is the last actor to have had it from both SC and RM. DC has acted a bit hesitant with the fans, while RM was a class act who embraced and welcomed them all the way. RM drove one of the newer Aston Martins from QoS to one of the premiers for SF. QoS was the complete opposite of what a RM movie would be like and yet he rose to the occasion to represent the series as a former 007. I hope DC will work with the next 007 actor since he said "don't be sh-t"...out of all the actors to play the role, he's really the only one to have had consistent creative input as a producer or writer with many of his films. The producers wouldn't be as sad of Craig's end as 007 if they hire him behind the scenes.

Craig is a bit elusive...he doesn't spend too much time with fans and doesn't attend most awards ceremonies....good for him but RM would always rise to the occasion for fans. At some points DC's attempts to push away from Bond shows too much with the audiences such as when he didn't provide the voice for the previous 007 video game, Legends, which was crap....perhaps that's why he didn't voice the role.

MacBeth is a production gift from BB to DC. It's admirable of this actor to truly show his thespian talents unlike most famous actors. For many audiences, he could be their last 007 actor because someone like me would not go to the theater to watch another formulaic Bond movie that goes over the top.

Did anyone else here watch it?
  • Having watched the Thunderball reunion with the two ageless Bond girls and Bongo drum player from the movie....it was touching.

Jason Connery was there....you wouldn't expect a Connery being there if SC was alive. So sad that there were so many tributes over the years that RM would attend but SC would seemingly avoid.

Back when QoS came out, MGW was explaining how DC reminded him of Steve McQueen...DC has sometimes, not always been a little hidden like SC over the years. Hopefully he can take more from the advice of Hugh Jackman who embraces his fans and represents wolverine with frequent references every now and then. DC took a page out of Jackman's book with Logan for NTTD.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,507
    Obviously Connery had his issues with the producers and the series but I think most of the previous Bond's have stepped back, once they left the series out of respect for the new man.

It's hard to imagine the new guy as Bond, if the last guy is still behaving like he were still Bond in interviews.

I do hope Daniel looks back at his time as Bond with fondness
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Obviously Connery had his issues with the producers and the series but I think most of the previous Bond's have stepped back, once they left the series out of respect for the new man.

It's hard to imagine the new guy as Bond, if the last guy is still behaving like he were still Bond in interviews.

I do hope Daniel looks back at his time as Bond with fondness

I have no doubt he does, the speech he gave, albeit short, on the last day of filming NTTD speaks volumes.

And on RM: I've always said the man had far more talent than he's been given credit for. He made it all look so easy. Well, it wasn't. finding his balance and making it all seemingly the same character - take FYEO vs MR vs LALD. Films whih are tonally utterly different, and yet nobody complains that they are, tht it isn't the smae Bond, etc.

In Moore's films Baron Samedi - who clearly was alive (or on to his next life) at the end of LALD, comfortably riding the front of a train, out in the open - is Moore's Blofeld...the author of all his, well, not pain, but inconveniences. He devilishly tricks the driver to pull away before Bond gets into the car in TMWTGG, he put a fish into the Lotus in TSWLM, he got all sentimental and threw a sweetheart into Jaws' life in MR, he scared the pigeons so they would alarm Bond and cause him nearly to fall off the rock in FYEO, he taught the killer how to use a deadly yo-yo in OP, and loosened the back end of the fire engine in AVTAK. He's such a devil...
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Since62 wrote: »
    In Moore's films Baron Samedi - who clearly was alive (or on to his next life) at the end of LALD, comfortably riding the front of a train, out in the open - is Moore's Blofeld...the author of all his, well, not pain, but inconveniences. He devilishly tricks the driver to pull away before Bond gets into the car in TMWTGG, he put a fish into the Lotus in TSWLM, he got all sentimental and threw a sweetheart into Jaws' life in MR, he scared the pigeons so they would alarm Bond and cause him nearly to fall off the rock in FYEO, he taught the killer how to use a deadly yo-yo in OP, and loosened the back end of the fire engine in AVTAK. He's such a devil...

"The antenna that hit your crotch in San Francisco? It was me, James."
    d2fdfc85d1320487c55e53c95ec55cd2.jpg
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »

"The antenna that hit your crotch in San Francisco? It was me, James."
    d2fdfc85d1320487c55e53c95ec55cd2.jpg

Baron Samedi: "Remember the slide whistle, James? It was me! It was always me!"
  • Imagine being a kid watching that ending of LALD with the laugh before the cut scene to a burning skull at the end credits.

RM never explained the ending and it is only said on imdb that producers were planning to have Baron Samedi return.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Imagine being a kid watching that ending of LALD with the laugh before the cut scene to a burning skull at the end credits.

RM never explained the ending and it is only said on imdb that producers were planning to have Baron Samedi return.

He can still return. he is immortal and trancends timelines.
    Imagine being a kid watching that ending of LALD with the laugh before the cut scene to a burning skull at the end credits.

He can still return. he is immortal and trancends timelines.

True!

DC paid a nice homage to Samedi at the beginning of SP enough to maintain the respect of his own Bond's story arc.

To avoid fallouts and missed opportunities for fans (i.e. not showing up at welcomed events), the producers should reevaluate their contracts to reduce drama with the actors.

Almost each one had some issue and it's often unavoidable to get it nailed right 100%:
    SC (no need to explain more),
    GL dropped the ball even if his agent poorly advised him
    TD didn't want a 3-movie deal at the studios' behest
    RM kept the public hanging and production auditioned different actor for OP
    PB wanted to negotiate more money while not having been involved in production quality to merit much interest from the producers, plus he didn't seem very happy when getting introduced with Bond music when presenting at awards shows towards the end of his run

DC was contracted for 5 movies but after just 3 he kept dangling the return, stopped voicing the video games, and didn't appear for much Bond related events.

-meanwhile the producers and many fans wish he had been contracted for a couple of more.
    -The video games are no longer produced in the Craig storyline when they were only getting interesting with BloodStone.

There are some good actors who are contenders for the 007 role but the lesson we need to learn from the time gap between QoS and SF is to keep the story and production quality on a higher note, the actors close to the producers with more involvement than just acting on screen, and before marketing takes place make sure things are coherent and make sense for the actor's story arc.....whether you like it or not, each actor had their own thing going just by not being the same person as their predecessor. The DC story arc was just more honest, original, and open about it. That is why the producers have a better chance of either using a good well-known actor for a shorter period across no more than 3 films if they want a movie by 2027 or using an unknown actor whose quality of acting is good like a hidden gem. The lesser-known actor can be more likely to demonstrate a sense of loyalty to the series as DC did....he may have been ungrateful in outside interviews but when he was working in Bond productions, he sure worked hard. The producers have plenty of research to do beyond sitting behind a desk in auditions.
    I really think Marc Forster has a chance at directing again, given how he has a good repertoire with the producers years after QoS. He even did a Q&A a whole year after the movie came out.

Also, that song Still Holding On by Conjure One would have made a bigger emotional impact had it been used. You never hear the tunes of Another Way to Die play throughout most of the movie. There's a chord from Still Holding On along the lyrics of "There's nothing I could do...." and the intense build up in the end before the song picks up again and ends in its last verses truly beams (pun intended) a titles sequence transitioning into the film's next scene. If only....

@GadgetMan this song really would have set the tone of perseverance with Bond that SF spent time in the middle trying to signify.
  • If the producers decide to the depart from the kind If quality they were acquiring from the CR-QoS period.....i.e. if they want humor/one-liners, gadgets, and OTT stories and action.....I wouldn't buy a ticket to the theatre to watch the next Bond movie.

Here is something no one asks.....have the recent Bond themes in the last 3 movies been really good in terms of quality or do they win awards mainly because most movies don't put as much effort and hard work into their soundtracks and scores anymore? There was an article from a few years ago asking if the film soundtrack is dead.....

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Yeah, maybe the song would have worked @dramaticscenesofQOS even if I can't see it. But then again, Daniel Kleinman has a way of making us accept and love the songs :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't kid myself, I'll always line up for a new Bond film.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe the song would have worked @dramaticscenesofQOS even if I can't see it. But then again, Daniel Kleinman has a way of making us accept and love the songs :)

This is one of few, in any, franchises that has its songs fit into a music video style presentation to immerse an audience whereby art is emphasized despite being in a current state of society where movie studios meddle too much into every aspect of a film. Had SP and NTTD not had as much studio meddling we would likely have had more down-to-earth settings and features in those films (no subversive flying jet, no Spanish music overplaying in the Cuban sequence which drowned out Anna DE Arma's talent).
  • Does the new Q remind you of Rainn Wilson?
  • Does the first half of the movie make you feel like Bond is the antagonist and protagonist of the film? The 2nd half does quite a good job of making Greene a cruel villain with the insult to injury style antagonism he portrays. The things he says to his enemies are sure to get under people's skin....."damaged goods", his negotiation with Medrano, ",Hahaha, looks like you just lost another one".....it doesn't even come across as arrogant as their dialogue would with Blofeld.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Does the first half of the movie make you feel like Bond is the antagonist and protagonist of the film? The 2nd half does quite a good job of making Greene a cruel villain with the insult to injury style antagonism he portrays. The things he says to his enemies are sure to get under people's skin....."damaged goods", his negotiation with Medrano, ",Hahaha, looks like you just lost another one".....it doesn't even come across as arrogant as their dialogue would with Blofeld.
    Never thought that way. Personally I just saw him as a flawed protagonist.
  • Does the first half of the movie make you feel like Bond is the antagonist and protagonist of the film? The 2nd half does quite a good job of making Greene a cruel villain with the insult to injury style antagonism he portrays. The things he says to his enemies are sure to get under people's skin....."damaged goods", his negotiation with Medrano, ",Hahaha, looks like you just lost another one".....it doesn't even come across as arrogant as their dialogue would with Blofeld.
    Never thought that way. Personally I just saw him as a flawed protagonist.

QoS shows him at his lowest point internally, though the movie is a high point compared to most entries that went towards fantasy.
  • Hey everyone! Yusuf Kabira actor, Simon Kassianides has posted the photo of Yusef and Vesper on his Instagram!

Please like and comment on it if you have IG and ask if they Eva Green did the photo shoot with him or if she was photoshopped!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hey everyone! Yusuf Kabira actor, Simon Kassianides has posted the photo of Yusef and Vesper on his Instagram!

Please like and comment on it if you have IG and ask if they Eva Green did the photo shoot with him or if she was photoshopped!
    Couldn't find the image, unless you mean the black and white one he posted back in 2015.

What's funny is I just finished making this photo recently.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Hey everyone! Yusuf Kabira actor, Simon Kassianides has posted the photo of Yusef and Vesper on his Instagram! Please like and comment on it if you have IG and ask if they Eva Green did the photo shoot with him or if she was photoshopped!

She wasn't photoshopped - it says in Some Kind of Hero that Eva spent a day on QOS having the photos taken.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Yusuf Kabira actor, Simon Kassianides has posted the photo of Yusef and Vesper on his Instagram! Please like and comment on it if you have IG and ask if they Eva Green did the photo shoot with him or if she was photoshopped!

She wasn't photoshopped - it says in Some Kind of Hero that Eva spent a day on QOS having the photos taken.

I always enjoy seeing this type of dedication, no matter how small it is.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

I always enjoy seeing this type of dedication, no matter how small it is.

Wow, who knows what deleted scene might have happened?
    :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yeah, there was another photo underneath where Vesper is facing Yusef with her arm around him (not jealous much). Hoping this photo surfaces one day. The dedication sure adds to the quality of the finished film.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,918

Barbara Broccoli told Eva in 2006 (after one of the CR premieres) that she was actually going to be in QOS and when BB and MGW hired Forster, they told him that they wanted her in flashbacks and new scenes where she was 'haunting' Bond. Forster was vehemently against it and persuaded them to drop the idea, so she ended up just doing the Vesper and Yusef photos.
  • Venutius wrote: »

Barbara Broccoli told Eva in 2006 (after one of the CR premieres) that she was actually going to be in QOS and when BB and MGW hired Forster, they told him that they wanted her in flashbacks and new scenes where she was 'haunting' Bond. Forster was vehemently against it and persuaded them to drop the idea, so she ended up just doing the Vesper and Yusef photos.

Her haunting him....this could have happened in a later film too.