Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    talos7 wrote: »
    Let's just stop all this daft silliness and welcome the next Bond:

IMG-20220626-221541.jpg

As I’ve said, I hope they don’t reject someone because they’re an “ obvious “ choice. TG : Maverick proved that there is a hunger for a film that harkens back to a character’s iconic roots.

Exactly this. People are also increasingly sick of 'woke', whatever it's called, so 'left field trendy' choices wouldn't be appreciated by the grand public I reckon. Time to go back to the roots of Bond, which I have been advocating for way too many years as it stands. TG: Maverick has raked in over a billion, says enough.

People are sick of censorship and a shortage of endearing and humorous content not of ethnically ambiguous actors lol. Top Gun would have never succeeded in the box office if there had been any real competition.

You lost me at ambiguous 🤣 People are sick of a lot things being shoved down their throats, for far too long. The success of TG lies within nostalgia and good old fun. Bond can and should be both: back to the roots and some fun again. Not emo, grim and dark Bond who dies at the end.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784

IMG-20220626-221541.jpg

As I’ve said, I hope they don’t reject someone because they’re an “ obvious “ choice. TG : Maverick proved that there is a hunger for a film that harkens back to a character’s iconic roots.

Exactly this. People are also increasingly sick of 'woke', whatever it's called, so 'left field trendy' choices wouldn't be appreciated by the grand public I reckon. Time to go back to the roots of Bond, which I have been advocating for way too many years as it stands. TG: Maverick has raked in over a billion, says enough.

People are sick of censorship and a shortage of endearing and humorous content not of ethnically ambiguous actors lol. Top Gun would have never succeeded in the box office if there had been any real competition.

You lost me at ambiguous 🤣 People are sick of a lot things being shoved down their throats, for far too long. The success of TG lies within nostalgia and good old fun. Bond can and should be both: back to the roots and some fun again. Not emo, grim and dark Bond who dies at the end.

That’s the industry term :P I find it rather offensive myself. I agree with you on the other points. I do feel the films should be somewhat dark and menacing though, Aidan surely would benefit from such a direction.
    Arguably the series has been nostalgia laden throughout the Craig era, especially with its constant reappearances of the DB5, the use of aesthetics, villains, ideas etc. from the 60s films. Bond 26 can certainly aim to be lighter in tone (I think the Bond films should be more escapist, fantastical and less fatalistic than the Craig era going forward, ideally with less direct involvement of Bond's past within the narrative). I don't think there will be a complete departure from the Craig era moving forward though. Something like TLD still had echoes of the Moore era, as did LALD moving on from DAF...

I do think there's a tendency to view something like TG:M as some sort of 'magic formula' for the next Bond film, especially when words like 'woke' get thrown into the mix. In reality they are two different franchises, and Bond 26 is going to have to reintroduce a new Bond. If anything it'll have to reinterpret elements of the character/cinematic formula without reverting to some of that nostalgic iconography.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    I do think there's a tendency to view something like TG:M as some sort of 'magic formula' for the next Bond film, especially when words like 'woke' get thrown into the mix.

Yeah I've no idea why that word has been thrown into the mix. It doesn't even seem to have a meaning anymore, it just seems to refer to 'things I don't like'.
    In reality they are two different franchises, and Bond 26 is going to have to reintroduce a new Bond. If anything it'll have to reinterpret elements of the character/cinematic formula without reverting to some of that nostalgic iconography.

Yeah the nostalgic iconography as you say feels rather played out at this point. Keep the gunbarrel, opening titles, dinner jacket, Bond theme... and maybe that's it.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2022 Posts: 3,382
    I know that this is not the right thread for this article (because many members were active in this thread).

but everyone should read this, the author of Young Bond Charlie Higson's reaction about Bond being a Family Man.

Author behind Young Bond series criticises the latest film No Time To Die for portraying 007 as a boring family man

Charlie Higson joked that 007 should have triggered his girlfriend's ejector seat and resumed his adventure. The author 'absolutely hated' the flick as it was like watching 007 'mow the lawn'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10953127/Young-Bond-author-calls-007-boring-family-man-latest-film-No-Time-Die.html#article-10953127
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited June 2022 Posts: 1,318
    mtm wrote: »
    I do think there's a tendency to view something like TG:M as some sort of 'magic formula' for the next Bond film, especially when words like 'woke' get thrown into the mix.
    In reality they are two different franchises, and Bond 26 is going to have to reintroduce a new Bond. If anything it'll have to reinterpret elements of the character/cinematic formula without reverting to some of that nostalgic iconography.

Yeah the nostalgic iconography as you say feels rather played out at this point. Keep the gunbarrel, opening titles, dinner jacket, Bond theme... and maybe that's it.

You sure you're even at the right forum?
    New actor, new car, new energy! The new Lotus Emira is perfect. Aiden Turner is a good choice but this will be a new era and they must overdeliver with the next and subsequent films.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,747

Yeah I've no idea why that word has been thrown into the mix. It doesn't even seem to have a meaning anymore, it just seems to refer to 'things I don't like'.

The Craig era's interesting in the sense that it leaned heavily on the nostalgic iconography/characters but consciously played around with the cinematic Bond formula (rarely would Bond get the girl at the end, the gun barrel took four films to appear at the start, there's of course the end of NTTD which is... well, odd for a Bond film, to cite a few examples).

What we could see going forward is less of the superficial nostalgia, but ultimately more of that classical Bond formula, albeit with subversions. For what it's worth this has been done within the series in the past. LALD, for instance, has the typical 'Chekov's Gun' set up of the gadget - in this case the magnetic watch. When it comes time for Bond to use it to attract the boat during the crocodile jump it actually fails him as said boat is tied up. When he does use it it's in a way that we wouldn't expect (he turns it into a sort of hacksaw... lazy writing perhaps, but the idea is interesting).

In fact LALD is a film that doesn't actually contain many of the usual iconography/elements we associate with Bond. He doesn't get a car, he doesn't wear a tuxedo, there's no Q, the score is noticeably more rock oriented compared to the more orchestral music of John Barry... it's not a perfect film but it certainly reintroduced Bond, sold the new actor and is fondly remembered. It's even fantastical and rather light in places (albeit with a more grounded central plot and Bond doing more investigative work more akin to DN) which I'm down with. I do think that sort of creative impulse can be used similarly with Bond 26.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd rather cast someone a bit more obvious, like Aidan Turner, then do do something interesting with the story and plot of Bond 26, rather than them casting someone obscure and then do something obvious and formulaic with the story and plot
    The problem is you could end up with a boring lead character, despite having an otherwise well paced film with an interesting plot and cool action sequences. It's Bond himself who we follow for most of the film, whose perspective we prioritise. An issue with casting someone like Turner or Henry Cavill is that it's debatable whether they'll bring anything unique, interesting or engaging to the character in practice.

Essentially if the lead of the film ends up being a dud, or is at least uninteresting or flat, then you have a problem.
    The problem is you could end up with a boring lead character, despite having an otherwise well paced film with an interesting plot and cool action sequences. It's Bond himself who we follow for most of the film, whose perspective we prioritise. An issue with casting someone like Turner or Henry Cavill is that it's debatable whether they'll bring anything unique, interesting or engaging to the character in practice.

Essentially if the lead of the film ends up being a dud, or is at least uninteresting or flat, then you have a problem.

That's a good point mate, although I'm not overly keen on them making a film were the leading man isn't much like James Bond. Then they spend 2 hours trying to convince us that this man is the character we know and love.
    I just don't fancy anything resembling another origin story
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861

The Craig era's interesting in the sense that it leaned heavily on the nostalgic iconography/characters but consciously played around with the cinematic Bond formula (rarely would Bond get the girl at the end, the gun barrel took four films to appear at the start, there's of course the end of NTTD which is... well, odd for a Bond film, to cite a few examples).

What we could see going forward is less of the superficial nostalgia, but ultimately more of that classical Bond formula, albeit with subversions. For what it's worth this has been done within the series in the past. LALD, for instance, has the typical 'Chekov's Gun' set up of the gadget - in this case the magnetic watch. When it comes time for Bond to use it to attract the boat during the crocodile jump it actually fails him as said boat is tied up. When he does use it it's in a way that we wouldn't expect (he turns it into a sort of hacksaw... lazy writing perhaps, but the idea is interesting).

In fact LALD is a film that doesn't actually contain many of the usual iconography/elements we associate with Bond. He doesn't get a car, he doesn't wear a tuxedo, there's no Q, the score is noticeably more rock oriented compared to the more orchestral music of John Barry... it's not a perfect film but it certainly reintroduced Bond, sold the new actor and is fondly remembered. It's even fantastical and rather light in places (albeit with a more grounded central plot and Bond doing more investigative work more akin to DN) which I'm down with. I do think that sort of creative impulse can be used similarly with Bond 26.

Yeah, fans often miss how much LALD changed the 'formula'.

I'd certainly be fine to lose the superficial nostalgia as you put it: the old car, the old M office etc. all being brought back - we don't need to do that again. Cinema's been leaning on that sort of thing too much recently anyway, and Bond needs a bit of a clear-out.

I don't know if that's something we can really worry about. They've shown how they know how to preserve the swaggering, self-assured core of Bond himself over the last few decades; hopefully they'd know how to keep that. I share the same worries with those actors: they don't really excite me as choices (Cavill at least has starred in a few films, albeit with less than stellar performances) but hopefully they'll find someone who leaps off the screen a bit more.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited June 2022 Posts: 686

He does use the watch's magnetic function, though: iirc he uses it to pull one of Kananga's anti-shark bullets to him, which he then uses to kill Kananga.
    LALD does make an intentional break from the previous Bond films, however it's also where we see the makers doubt the Bond franchise and borrow from others, imo: the 'tactical turtleneck' with the shoulder-holster, which he sports in the final act, is taken straight from Steve McQueen in Bullitt, and the Magnum revolver from Dirty Harry.

For me the worry is that when the producers decide to shake things up a bit, they just follow trends of what they perceive as 'cool', rather than doing something original. If I had to choose between them copying classic Bond style or copying what they think is the new cool from today's film charts, I'd rather they stick to Bond.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

That's a good point mate, although I'm not overly keen on them making a film were the leading man isn't much like James Bond. Then they spend 2 hours trying to convince us that this man is the character we know and love.
    I just don't fancy anything resembling another origin story

I must admit I'm not keen on those things either. I think we'll get a reboot but not necessarily an origin story. That will simply mean introducing us to this Bond and the new world he inhabits. I do think that a Cavill or a Turner aren't a guarantee of giving us that ideal Bondian performance though, and could easily fall into the trap of giving us something more akin to an impression of Bond rather than a fresh interpretation of the character like we got from Craig, Moore, Dalton etc. Like @mtm said it's a case where they don't personally excite me (although I accept I'm not privy to their auditions).

That said Cavill and Turner are notable in the sense that their cards are more on the table than the other candidates. I've seen The Man From Uncle and And Then There Were None and hence know more or less what we're likely to get out of a Bond performance from these candidates. I'm not sure if I'm too impressed with what I see, but these are just my instincts.

He does use the watch's magnetic function, though: iirc he uses it to pull one of Kananga's anti-shark bullets to him, which he then uses to kill Kananga.
    LALD does make an intentional break from the previous Bond films, however it's also where we see the makers doubt the Bond franchise and borrow from others, imo: the 'tactical turtleneck' with the shoulder-holster, which he sports in the final act, is taken straight from Steve McQueen in Bullitt, and the Magnum revolver from Dirty Harry.

For me the worry is that when the producers decide to shake things up a bit, they just follow trends of what they perceive as 'cool', rather than doing something original. If I had to choose between them copying classic Bond style or copying what they think is the new cool from today's film charts, I'd rather they stick to Bond.

The way I wrote that wasn't fully clear perhaps. Bond does use the magnetic watch to its proper function once at the end but the typical 'Chekov's Gun' formula is subverted during the crocodile jump. We expect Bond to use his gadget to get out of the situation but that fails and he has to use his wits. It's really cool as an idea. I kinda wanna see something similar in Bond 26.

I think with Bond there's always going to be some form of trend following. With the early Craig films it was the influence of Bourne (the QOS camerawork, the idea of the Governments the hero works for not always being upstanding/being involved in shady plans, even moments like Vesper's drowning all evoke ideas/scenes from Borune). Then there's Star Wars in the concept of MR, North By Northwest in the helicopter scene in FRWL... not to mention we get into the problem of Bond trying to up its own formula and devolving into self-parody (Die Another Day).

I think Bond 26 could be an interesting opportunity in that sense. Assuming it starts afresh and doesn't actively use the nostalgic iconography of the DB5 etc. there's a whole world of story possibilities open. What will this new Bond 'universe' look like? Like I said I suspect it'll more closely follow the 'formula' than the Craig era (so Bond will get his briefing, investigate, meets the girl, the villain, maybe even has gadgets etc.) but ultimately do something different or subversive within those parameters.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I could definitely see a future Bond film subvert the old 'Bond hides from MI6 at the end of the film in order to cuddle up to the girl' by making it more cynical, with Bond deliberately keeping the female character out of the hands of the British intelligence services for her own safety.
    I could definitely see a future Bond film subvert the old 'Bond hides from MI6 at the end of the film in order to cuddle up to the girl' by making it more cynical, with Bond deliberately keeping the female character out of the hands of the British intelligence services for her own safety.

Ooooh. That's a cool idea. It very much plays into the idea of Bond as this 'mysterious stranger' who is essentially an agent of Her Majesty's but also has that cynical/arguably sympathetic edge to him.
  • Cavill and Turner are a bit wooden imo. Christian Bale would have made an excellent Bond I reckon and he can obviously act.
  • talos7 wrote: »

IMG-20220626-221541.jpg

To be fair, we've got over 60 years and 25 Bond films. This is only the second Top Gun film, which came 36 years later. I think it is important that the essence of the character and who Bond is stays true to its roots, but I don't think the reverence to the "Bond formula" is going to be as important going forward. We're always going to have exotic locations, awe-inspiring stunts, the beautiful women, the action, the casinos/black-tie affairs, etc. I think the best lesson that came from the Craig era is that "the Goldfinger formula" can be more of a hinderance than a help when making a Bond film. I find Casino Royale and Skyfall to be the best of the Craig era and they are the two examples where I feel like they were first and foremost concerned with telling the most compelling story possible, while maintaining the Bondian aesthetic and sprinkling in the "formula" bits where appropriate.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Always licking the royal boots. And Elba is back as top candidate I see. Interesting.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think EON were just being polite when suggesting Prince William could play Bond.
    Certainly nothing to be taken seriously.
    Benny wrote: »
    I think EON were just being polite when suggesting Prince William could play Bond.
    Certainly nothing to be taken seriously.

You just broke the prince’s heart.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I doubt that
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Set your timers now for 2052 clickbait articles: "King William was offered the role of James Bond before he ascended to the throne, but had to decline."
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2022 Posts: 3,382
    If Prince William is set to become Bond, we need a lot more toupees more so than Connery.
    Get ready for the increase in ticket prices!
    Reading between the lines, they won't be starting to put lists together and potentially screen test till next year at the earliest.
    That is unless they're very good at bluffing

IMG-20220626-221541.jpg

To be fair, we've got over 60 years and 25 Bond films. This is only the second Top Gun film, which came 36 years later. I think it is important that the essence of the character and who Bond is stays true to its roots, but I don't think the reverence to the "Bond formula" is going to be as important going forward. We're always going to have exotic locations, awe-inspiring stunts, the beautiful women, the action, the casinos/black-tie affairs, etc. I think the best lesson that came from the Craig era is that "the Goldfinger formula" can be more of a hinderance than a help when making a Bond film. I find Casino Royale and Skyfall to be the best of the Craig era and they are the two examples where I feel like they were first and foremost concerned with telling the most compelling story possible, while maintaining the Bondian aesthetic and sprinkling in the "formula" bits where appropriate.

There's of course another question here, which is: what exactly is the essence of Bond and how do they stay true to the character's roots?

I mean, does CR stay true to the character/his roots? Actually I'd argue not always, and there are many aspects of Craig's Bond in that movie which I find antithetical to Bond as a character (I find it difficult to see most other incarnations of Bond in the films/novels breaking into M's flat and having as much of an 'end justifies the means' mentality towards his job, at least without revenge or necessity motivating him. This is something we see more with Jack Bauer or Jason Bourne, Bond being more of a 'blunt instrument'... this is just me however, and others might think differently). Personally, I find SF to be Craig's Bond at his most... well, Bondian - a man who is slightly out of step with his own time, a man with many destructive vices, an underlying cynicism, but with the virtues of bravery and patriotism. Others would say it's SP where Craig gives his most Bondian performance and really embodies that Connery-esque coolness.

There are also many moments even in the classic Bond films that I find a bit off, as I'm personally a fan of the novels. I find it a bit weird when Bond casually shoots someone who is unarmed without blinking an eye, or indeed makes a quip after batting away someone's hand/sending them tumbling to their death off a roof. I personally connect more with the character who is rather conflicted about killing, and even admits to disliking it. I don't feel we've ever truly seen something in the films along the lines of the 'Reflections in a Double Bourbon' chapter in GF - Bond getting drunk after having killed a man, the bruise still on his hand, internally trying to shrug it off and be cavalier despite how clearly conflicted he is...

Is that more true to the essence of Bond than the man who gives a memorable quip after killing a defenceless opponent? Are the cinematic and literary Bond... well, simply different? Anyway, these are the questions I'm sure the producers will have to ask themselves going forward.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bond of the novels doesn't even wear all of the nice clothes in the way that we're used to seeing the one in the movies wearing. He only has about two old suits and wears a sports jacket most of the time.
    There's this interesting little site that actually illustrates the literary Bond's clothes:

https://www.bondsuits.com/the-suits-of-ian-flemings-james-bond-illustrated/

I kinda want to see a modern version of the black and white dogtooth suit in a future film. Would be a nice little nod.

Also, while it's not explicitly stated in the novels, I think Fleming once wrote a letter (to whom I don't know) where he described Bond's clothes. Apparently he said that Bond favoured wearing short sleeved shirts under his suit jacket, much as the writer himself did! Sounds like a horrible idea to me personally.

But yes, the literary Bond did not live a life of extravagance when not on assignment in his clothing or eating habits. To be honest, I'd like to see Bond depicted as more of the 'mysterious stranger' that they sort of managed to do with him in the early Connery films and in many of the novels. We never really know of his past, he appears and investigates these often routine matters that turn into something more (they can and should still do character development, acknowledge his flaws/explore aspects of the character more so than the early films, but again while keeping that level of mystery about him). Perhaps a way of conveying this is through more minimal costume choices for the character? They can still be designer and tie into the brand deals these movies have, but ultimately convey this impression of the character.
    I ultimately think the added extravagances and ruthlessness of the character is what set the filmatisations apart from other pictures in the spy genre. Besides the opening kill in CR, Bond only kills out of necessity (being under attack). Connery was the only one who killed without thinking twice and it’s one of the reasons we find his characterisation so endearing. I wonder if today’s moralisms would allow that.

The bigger question is how to make the film contemporary and fresh without loosing that feeling of tradition and elegance. Rich people rarely wear suits anymore and it’s cooler to be a hipster than preppy.