Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• I was never keen on the idea before but as he's aged Cillian Murphy has been an idea that keeps creeping up in my mind. He's 46 now but he looks much younger and I think he could bring something unique to the role without straying too far from the conventional "Classic Bond" we're used to.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    I was never keen on the idea before but as he's aged Cillian Murphy has been an idea that keeps creeping up in my mind. He's 46 now but he looks much younger and I think he could bring something unique to the role without straying too far from the conventional "Classic Bond" we're used to.

Agree, he has a cold despondent aura about him that fits the character.
    I was never keen on the idea before but as he's aged Cillian Murphy has been an idea that keeps creeping up in my mind. He's 46 now but he looks much younger and I think he could bring something unique to the role without straying too far from the conventional "Classic Bond" we're used to.

As a villain, yes. And he's the right age now. But as Bond? Hell no!
    Ludovico wrote: »

Well said. Don't see C Murphy in it, at any age.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Since62 wrote: »

Way too soft looking

Way too soft looking

064bbbe04af8ba7c594ce610bcb61fe7d3d33ec8.gifv

I think he looks harder than Aidan.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 12,837

Way too soft looking

Yeah I don’t really get “tough guy” from Turner. He looks rugged, but handsome to the point he could be a model. Which wouldn’t be a bad look for Bond to have, I think Brosnan was the same and he was great. But Murphy, despite not looking as rugged, looks much more like a killer to me in Peaky than Turner does in anything I’ve seen him in. It’s in the eyes I think, he does cold and detached ridiculously well. And the way he projects his voice and carries himself probably doesn’t hurt either. All that stuff, the nuances of the performance, is much more important than hairline or how far apart their nostrils are or whatever imo. As long as the next guy is good looking enough to convince as a womaniser (and Murphy definitely could, I know several women who fancy the pants off him), I think there’s much more important qualities to focus on.

So I agree @ByRoyalDecree, he’d be brilliant. But I think he’s sadly aged out of contention now. Can’t imagine them going for someone in his 40s, especially with how long the gaps between films are now. They’ll want a long term investment I reckon.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think Cillian is too well known in the UK as Tommy Shelby. He's a great actor but at 46 perhaps his time has passed, he's also about 5'7 as well
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,901
    Thing about Cillian Murphy is he's such a good actor that he could conceivably play Bond (or at least could have if he were a bit younger) or a villain. Honestly, I can imagine him in a future Bond film as the latter.

Way too soft looking

He looks hard in a creepy way.

Way too soft looking

I’d let him creep right up my butt.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Way too soft looking

I’d let him creep right up my butt.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I don't know about you, but I'm very glad I got to see that twice.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't know about you, but I'm very glad I got to see that twice.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'm gonna go get the papers.
    I'm gonna go get the papers.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m gonna get the papers, get the papers
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ok guys. Let’s not let a silly comment turn to spam.
    Thanks
    Ok guys. Let’s not let a silly comment turn to spam.
    Thanks

Sorry, couldn't resist... don't punish me Mod...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn’t even quite understand what was happening @benny … it flew over my head… But the mention of getting the papers reminded me of Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas, 🤷‍♂️
    edited June 2022 Posts: 1,318
    The difference between Turner and Murphy, facially, is Turner has 'sharp' features like Dalton, for example. This fits Bond. Murphy on the other hand has a face like a porcelain doll, big eyes, small round nose and puffy lips. Highly feminine. I'd laugh if he tried anything remotely dangerous, he doesn't have a dangerous edge to him whatsoever. Unless you find porcelain dolls intimidating.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think you should try watching Peaky Blinders. I wouldn't get so hung up on how men look.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think you should try watching Peaky Blinders. I wouldn't get so hung up on how men look.

I have. Also, "I wouldn't get so hung up on how men look". Are you even serious? Might as well cast Jim Carrey then. At least we'd have something to laugh about.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Oh @JeremyBondon you need to lighten up my friend. You’ll find plenty of support for your man Aidan. But there are going to be many other potential suggestions.
    Cillian Murphy is a damn fine actor. But not one that has screamed Bond. I’m surprised he’s mentioned though. At 5’7” he’s on the short side. Though tbh I had never realised till it was pointed out to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a damn fine actor. But not one that has screamed Bond. I’m surprised he’s mentioned though. At 5’7” he’s on the short side. Though tbh I had never realised till it was pointed out to me.

I think in Peaky he exhibits that sort of total self-assuredness and danger (and proper screen presence too) which says Bond. As mentioned above, he's out of the running due to his age, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment to think of him doing it. A more serious, Flemingy (possibly even period) version and he'd have been great I think.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It'll be interesting to see what tone Bond 26 has

At this moment in time, I think there's more Television series that are darker and harder edged and characters in films are starting to take themselves more seriously

Does Bond double down on the early Craig era darkness or does it go lighter and against the grain?
  • Jordo007 wrote: »

At this moment in time, I think there's more Television series that are darker and harder edged and characters in films are starting to take themselves more seriously

Does Bond double down on the early Craig era darkness or does it go lighter and against the grain?

It will definitely be darker.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Why do you think this, @ByRoyalDecree ?... I certainly don't see a return to broad humour, but after the death of Bond, my guess is they will bring the character back with a big story, and a lightness of touch... It's all guess work as no one knows what is going through EoN's collective brain, but I'd think going darker than the last era won't seem appealing to the general audience, and maybe seen as treading the same ground (but going even darker).

With the death of Bond, I would think EoN's new challenge would be to open their tent in welcoming new fans to the series (while keeping most of the fan-base happy and satisfied); not sure if going darker will achieve this....

Just my two cents.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,901
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I think they'll definitely continue to have shades of darkness. NTTD certainly did, arguably more so than the usual Bond film. Certain moments almost could have come from a Horror film (the opening scene and the SPECTRE agents at the party being infected with the nanobots being the main examples).

That said, there's also two things to consider. The first is I don't think they'll continue with the overally fatalistic tone that was seen in the later Craig films, nor do I think we'll retread ground such as Bond visiting his family home, having figures from his past reappearing etc. The second is that both NTTD and SPECTRE weren't straightforwardly 'dark' and contained many attempts humour, lightheartedness, and... well, fun. Whether or not they achieved this is up for debate, but look at the Cuba sequence. It goes from a moment of outright horror with the SPECTRE agents dying to what can be described as a 'romp'. I suspect they'll attempt to balance these tones out even more in the next one. I don't think it'll necessarily be 'lighthearted' but most likely smaller scale, more low key but ultimately 'breezier' and perhaps more fantastical than NTTD. More in the vein of LALD or even TMWTGG perhaps with darker moments here and there.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Benny wrote: »
    Oh @JeremyBondon you need to lighten up my friend. You’ll find plenty of support for your man Aidan. But there are going to be many other potential suggestions.

Yes I am aware of that and that's fine. But anyone in their right mind wouldn't even think of Murphy for Bond. His height alone excludes him. I was merely sarcastically pointing out we could name anyone then, if even Murphy is mentioned as a serious proposition.

In fact I'd wager Jim would make a better Bond than Murphy. At least he's over 6". Ha.

Also: period Bond, starring Aidan Turner is where true redemption lies.