Project 007 - IO Interactive - The New James Bond Video Game

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    EON, what a time. I remember going shopping with my mom any chance I had so I could play the demo for hours in GameStop before it finally released.

EON is by far the most underrated Bond game and easily the second best after GoldenEye 64. You could even make a stretch argument it's higher quality in certain ways.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have a few subjective favorites but it's no doubt Top 5 for me in the series. I miss the days when we got a new one cranked out every couple of years. The games are sorely missed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »

Ah, OPSM2 UK, I was a big subscriber to them back in the day. I found that their reviews were, more often than not, a good measure on how to gauge my own expectations for a games release. I don't remember their review for AUF, but I know that that they gave NF 8/10 and EON 9/10. I still remember reading their (November '03?) issue, where htey broke the news of the games 3 month delay. Then the excitement of Feb 04 finally rolling around and getting to play EON. Then later that year, the horrible sinking feeling as I read their review for GE:RA.

But I still look back on 2001-04 as the golden period for Bond games.
    For me the golden age was 91-10

A controversial opinion sure but I loved (and in no order)

James Bond the duel (sure I played that in2008 and beat it two years ago in 2020 but still )
    Goldeneye
    The world is not enough (both ps1 and n64)
    Bloodstone (which really was a better game then people give it credit for)
    Quantum of solace (both ps2 and 360 versions were fantastic)

Heck I loved from Russia with love, Nightfire and Everything or nothing

The issues came when goldeneye reloaded was all we got in 2011 and 007 legends was just so bad I mean I replayed occasionally just to see if I could enjoy it but yeah

I feel like we were spoiled with some amazing games during the EA era and Activision had 4 great games and sadly one abysmal game that they never did want to recover from

I still wonder if 007 solstice from telltale was even in the design phase I think had telltale has the liscence from 2014-2018 it would of given us a few fun times seeing the different decisions etc oh well

As for Project 007 well let’s look at Gotham knights for a time line

It was rumored in 2017
    It was announced in 2020
    Released October 2022

So let’s say they started building it when the leak in 2017 happened that is 5 years

So project 007 was announced when IOinteractive started working on it so sadly we are in for a long wait till 2025 :(

I guess I can start playing the Atari bond games as they are new to me
    I didn't care for the PS1 version of TWINE as much as the N64 one. I remember getting an Expansion Pack just so I could save and complete both Perfect Dark and TWINE, though I never did as a kid. I ended up beating PD one day on the Xbox 360 version and that last level that involved swimming through the sub in TWINE was always too hard for me when I was younger.

Either way, the "multiplayer" component was where I sunk most of my time. I'd spend a weekend at my friend's and we'd just play against the A.I. for hours and hours. It was so much fun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I'm as anxious to play it as anyone, but I would also suggest that the (apparently) lengthy development cycle could possibly suggest a higher level of quality and scope to the game than we may have seen in the past.

(The idea, now, that a substantial cross-platform 007 game was release every single year from 2001-2005 seems staggering. What times those were...)

@AgentM72, the development cycle is pretty standard. It's just what comes with making a game like this in this industry right now. Gone are the days when games could be developed for two years and pushed out; the level that the graphics engines have ascended to means you need quite a lot more time to make a game than the old days so that it looks up to standard with all the rest of the games out there these days. You could make a Bond game in a couple years, but it would look like it belonged generations ago, gaming wise. It being a big IP also adds to that need to impress.
    I'm as anxious to play it as anyone, but I would also suggest that the (apparently) lengthy development cycle could possibly suggest a higher level of quality and scope to the game than we may have seen in the past.

(The idea, now, that a substantial cross-platform 007 game was release every single year from 2001-2005 seems staggering. What times those were...)

@AgentM72, the development cycle is pretty standard. It's just what comes with making a game like this in this industry right now. Gone are the days when games could be developed for two years and pushed out; the level that the graphics engines have ascended to means you need quite a lot more time to make a game than the old days so that it looks up to standard with all the rest of the games out there these days. You could make a Bond game in a couple years, but it would look like it belonged generations ago, gaming wise. It being a big IP also adds to that need to impress.

Indeed, and with it being the first major game for the franchise in a decade or more, I'd imagine a lot of voices at all ranks are weighing in on it. I just hope that the game's lead devs and creative directors have the autonomy they need to make a purposeful, innovative, stylish product.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @AgentM72, if ever there was a time for it to work, it'd be now. IO are an inspired choice, almost across the board. They've basically been auditioning for this kind of job. I mostly worry about the gameplay more than anything else, as I found the newest Hitman titles to feel a bit more stiff and labored in how 47 moved and reacted. For a Bond title I hope we get a much smoother range of motion out of Bond himself, to really capitalize on his athleticism and daring nature both on the chase or in shootouts. The run and gun style of some of the early 2000s Bond games really nailed that feeling of moving like Bond and shooting on instinct with wicked timing, and I would rather have that be what the devs go for than anything resembling how 47 moves. But that's so far off for us to know, I won't even bother speculating.
  • Yeah I have no doubt IO will nail the world and structure of a Bond game, but the game feel is another question entirely. Some of the later sections in Hitman 3 attempt a more linear blockbuster feel that almost comes across as a trial run for what they might attempt with Bond but it just plays so, so poorly that it came off completely flat. But the Hitman framework wasn’t really devised for explosive cinematic action so I can’t totally hold it against it for that.
    @SomethingThatAteHim, and therein lays my own concern: how well can IO pull off a more "explosive" type of game with moment to moment action, as opposed to what they've done for so long, which is far more slow burn and stealth based in nature, with 47 (if you play as intended, that is). Because the moment you get exposed in Hitman and have to actually shoot your way out, the gameplay shows some sore spots.
    @SomethingThatAteHim, and therein lays my own concern: how well can IO pull off a more "explosive" type of game with moment to moment action, as opposed to what they've done for so long, which is far more slow burn and stealth based in nature, with 47 (if you play as intended, that is). Because the moment you get exposed in Hitman and have to actually shoot your way out, the gameplay shows some sore spots.

This is a great point.

I'm no Hitman expert, but I finally joined the franchise with the most recent one - Hitman 3. I was blown away by the quality and immersive nature of the game. Truly, top tier quality in the industry.

But it is, certainly, a franchise that takes influence from Bond but departs significantly from its gaming precedents. It's far more about strategy, movement, timing, and environmental interaction to achieve objectives. The gameplay definitely isn't as "signature" when you're in a gun battle. It's...fine, just not the highlight.

So it will be interesting to see if they stretch their approach more in the shooter direction to accommodate the Bond precedent, or if they stretch the Bond expectations in a more cerebral and stylistic direction to suit their approach.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Wasn't there a whole thing about the studio having to convince Eon and very specifically Barbara Broccoli that this isn't going to be extremely violent, which to me would mean it's not a straight-up shooter?
    You're both right that Hitman has a very specific gameplay loop and that probably doesn't totally map onto Bond. I'm still optimistic and very interested in this.

This is a great point.

I'm no Hitman expert, but I finally joined the franchise with the most recent one - Hitman 3. I was blown away by the quality and immersive nature of the game. Truly, top tier quality in the industry.

But it is, certainly, a franchise that takes influence from Bond but departs significantly from its gaming precedents. It's far more about strategy, movement, timing, and environmental interaction to achieve objectives. The gameplay definitely isn't as "signature" when you're in a gun battle. It's...fine, just not the highlight.

So it will be interesting to see if they stretch their approach more in the shooter direction to accommodate the Bond precedent, or if they stretch the Bond expectations in a more cerebral and stylistic direction to suit their approach.

@AgentM72, we're wondering the same things. Hopefully a compromise can be met. It would be great to have the wide array of objectives and avenues of completion for the missions in the game match how it is in the Hitman titles, but it would also be great to have a competent and engaging shooting/combat system for missions involving more action, or so that you have something reliable to fall back on if you do end up getting exposed.

Because I think the feel of a Bond game is a different beast compared to Hitman. When I play the Hitman games, I make it excruciatingly hard on myself because if I fail or am exposed, I restart the whole damn level because, to me, Hitman is perfect and shouldn't slip up. When I'm playing as Bond, however, I think I'll have much more lenience with my failures, and not just hard reset if I cock something up. Because it would be quite cinematic and dare I say thrilling to try my best to complete an objective, but just because of certain circumstances, I do what I'm required but in the doing I'm blown and I have to make a wild escape. That feels very Bond to me, to not be perfect all the time, but to make the best of a bad situation and come out of it on top. I just hope the game allows you to be both the perfect spy, and also the imperfect spy who sometimes has to punch and shoot his way out.

I haven't even thought about if IO would try their hand at any on road action or car chases in the game. As far as I know, they don't have any experience with any kind of driving in their games, but I'm not an expert on their catalogue. It would be interesting to see them try their hand at what is now a Bond game staple.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    Anymore updates on Project 007?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've not heard anything. Maybe they are holding off until October.
  • DB5MNDB5MN USA
    I've not heard anything. Maybe they are holding off until October.

That could be true.
    No surprise there. Getting it 2024 or before didn't seem plausible.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m honestly not in a rush for this one.
    I’m honestly not in a rush for this one.

Given how broken or dodgy a lot of release titles are anymore, I haven't been in a rush for games in a long time. I might say "I can't wait" or be overly excited but they'll arrive when they arrive. I don't want something a year earlier if it's going to be a broken pile of trash.
  • This has been a great day in 007 Gaming news. Very optimistic about where things could go from here!
    2025 would be early, by my estimate. This isn't a confirmation, after all, just a prediction the article is making based on the data that is being seen from IO's internal numbers. We won't see or hear much of anything conclusive about this game for a long, long time, which is why I once again repeat that this was announced far too early. I don't understand why it was revealed so early in development when hires were still being sought for various positions. It could've awaited more development time years in before it was remotely teased.

Obviously the important thing is that it releases in an optimal state. I'm sick of the industry and most of the developers and publishers making or releasing games at this point. It's hard to get in the mindset of being excited for anything that is coming out, as the industry has burned the gaming community for so long. The last game I played that released in an optimal state that didn't require substantial patching after release came out four years ago, and beyond that it's hard to select games with a similarly smooth release cycle. It's not acceptable or sustainable and the "we'll fix it in a day one patch" mentality is ridiculous at this point.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    2025 would be early, by my estimate. This isn't a confirmation, after all, just a prediction the article is making based on the data that is being seen from IO's internal numbers. We won't see or hear much of anything conclusive about this game for a long, long time, which is why I once again repeat that this was announced far too early. I don't understand why it was revealed so early in development when hires were still being sought for various positions. It could've awaited more development time years in before it was remotely teased.

Obviously the important thing is that it releases in an optimal state. I'm sick of the industry and most of the developers and publishers making or releasing games at this point. It's hard to get in the mindset of being excited for anything that is coming out, as the industry has burned the gaming community for so long. The last game I played that released in an optimal state that didn't require substantial patching after release came out four years ago, and beyond that it's hard to select games with a similarly smooth release cycle. It's not acceptable or sustainable and the "we'll fix it in a day one patch" mentality is ridiculous at this point.

Just wondering, Brady, what was that game?

My money's on Red Dead Redemption 2.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

My money's on Red Dead Redemption 2.

@PropertyOfALady, @Creasy47 is right on the money. Or, as Arthur would say: moneh!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Yes, I agree this has been a bit of a problem. Case in point: Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I definitely think EON rushed out an announcement because of the delays to NTTD, they were in desperate need of some good news for fans
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I definitely think EON rushed out an announcement because of the delays to NTTD, they were in desperate need of some good news for fans

Perhaps, but all the same I don't think it was ever intended as anything further than announcing that IOI had the licence and would develop a new Bond game. I'd be willing to bet IOI hadn't even put some pen to paper yet when it was announced!
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I wouldn't say it was rushed. Games are constantly being announced 6-8 years before release. Just look at the Elder Scrolls VI trailer - dropped over four years ago and we still won't see the game for another 4-6 years, I'd imagine.