NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d love every film to change things up rather than stick to the exact same thing. I wish Binder was more creative with the iris opening on different parts of the screen at each film, rather than always moving it around and the reverting right back to the center. I think TB and OHMSS were the only ones where he didn’t open the iris at center.

While I only liked the barrels in CR and SP, I actually really appreciate that Craig shot a new gun barrel for each installment, rather than the filmmakers. It sort of reflects how Craig’s run has been willing to break and bend the formula of old Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah my favourite is probably FYEO with that really cool jump opening onto the scene :)
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Watching that mock-up with the Goldfinger cue made me once again think about what I'd give to have the guitar riff back in NTTD's gun barrel. I figured Johnny Marr's inclusion was the obvious reason to return to that arrangement of gun barrel cue but alas, it was not meant to be. At least Zimmer cue let him play some guitar in the vamp, I suppose. It's something!
  • So, now that the film is out, what did we think of the GB?

Have to say I wasn’t a big fan to be honest. The Universal logo shifting into the opening dot was a cool idea, but is it me or did it seem kind of cheaply done? Then the barrel itself I thought was worse than the SPECTRE one (guess they went with that design to match the icy scenery?) and I wasn’t a fan of the lack of blood.

I guess all the other Craig GBs have experimented in some way or another, so it made sense to keep that up. But I hope it’s back to normal next time. None of the experiments past CR have worked for me. Just redo the concept of the Brosnan era barrel with modern CGI, and have Bond turn to silhouette when he shoots like in SP. Then I’d be happy. I’d prefer the guitar riff as the blood falls, but the sting works too, so I don’t really have a strong preference with the music.
  • No blood and fade to white is because for the first time in 59 years, Bond is the one who gets shot and dies in the gunbarrel sequence, foreshadowing the end of the film.

I'm just glad they're done with putting it at the end. Baby steps.
  • No blood and fade to white is because for the first time in 59 years, Bond is the one who gets shot and dies in the gunbarrel sequence, foreshadowing the end of the film.

I'm just glad they're done with putting it at the end. Baby steps.

Ohhhh I hadn’t thought of it like that. Very clever. Still wish they’d gone with a more classic, Binder esque design though.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I quite liked it. The main thing for me is that it is there in the first place. Not at the end, not missing but up top where it should have always been.
    The design and tweaks themselves aren't too offensive. The Universal logo fading into the dot is not a problem in the slightest because it just moves off right to left BEFORE the gunbarrel proper starts. So I just ignore it's there.
    DC's walk is ok, the gun is slightly visible but not waved about like the SP one so that's good.
    The barrel design, while far from the classic Binder design is pleasant enough.
    The lack of blood isn't a killer in my opinion however, stylistically it's unnecessary because it could have just as easily have been there and then faded into something red. One of the people on the latest James Bond and Friends pod suggested it could have faded into the mum's red wine. That would have worked perfectly.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I love it. I like subversion. What’s the point of getting the same thing we have 20 of when we can have something that is creative
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I love it. I like subversion. What’s the point of getting the same thing we have 20 of when we can have something that is creative

Yes I do tend to agree with you. That why I do feel the most important thing is that's it there, where it should be. As I say the tweaks don't offend me I'm just doing my geeky nit picking.
    What does 'offend' me in the very loosest sense of the word is when it has been removed for 'creative' reasons. On both previous occasions the choice was nonsense.
  • Since when has a gun barrel EVER had to fade into something red for it to work?

• cwl007cwl007 England
    There's been one or two over the years that I'd say have worked by doing that.
    Also I didn't say it had to fade into red, I said, and I quote, " the lack of blood isn't a killer in my opinion, however"...
    Sorry if just sharing thoughts for fun was so offensive to you.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Loved the Gun Barrel, the best since the CR one for me and how creatively they used that.

Just set you right up for what was to proceed and not using the blood and doing something else was quite audacious I thought.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I bet most viewers didn't even realise the blood and wobble were missing. It's stripping it back to all that's needed, and I think it's very effective for doing so.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Loved the Gun Barrel, the best since the CR one for me and how creatively they used that.

Agreed. Plus, cool to see Daniel in a tux, finally.
    The Universal logo version of the gunbarrel from the international Blu-ray is now online
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Will the US Blu-ray have that?

No, will have just the MGM logo.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    antovolk wrote: »

No, will have just the MGM logo.

Oh, thank you.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    This fanmade NTTD gunbarrel was everything I wished they did in the film and then some.

• fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    Uhhh yeah….that was way better than the real one!!
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,876
    That's a great fan made gun barrel, although the transition to the scene in the original is much smoother and I'd argue works better. The darker colour of the gun barrel is nice though, less cold. Regardless, I liked NTTD's gun barrel except for the sound of the gun shot, especially after SPECTRE's (the latter looks like it was knocked up hastily on Adobe After Effects, and Craig swings his gun around rather overtly).

Personally, I'd like something similar to the Bob Simmons gun barrels. Have Bond silhouetted so you don't see his face, have him walk a bit slower etc.
    007HallY wrote: »
    That's a great fan made gun barrel, although the transition to the scene in the original is much smoother and I'd argue works better. The darker colour of the gun barrel is nice though, less cold. Regardless, I liked NTTD's gun barrel except for the sound of the gun shot, especially after SPECTRE's (the latter looks like it was knocked up hastily on Adobe After Effects, and Craig swings his gun around rather overtly).

Personally, I'd like something similar to the Bob Simmons gun barrels. Have Bond silhouetted so you don't see his face, have him walk a bit slower etc.

But without the silly hop ?
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,876
    Since62 wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

But without the silly hop ?

Dalton kind of tried the Simmons hop in one of his unused gun barrel takes. It's hard to do to be fair...

Anyway, the hop can be ditched. I would like to see Bond silhouetted though, especially with a new lead for Bond 26. I feel in DN especially the fact that we can't see Bond clearly in the gun barrel adds to the mystery around him leading up to his introduction. Would have had a different feel had Connery been clearly visible in the gun barrel.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think one thing that makes Simmons' hop works in the Gunbarrel sequence is the way the hangs his left leg for a few seconds before hopping and firing, I really love it in the Gunbarrel sequence of FRWL with Barry's Gunbarrel music. Connery later hung his left leg too before firing in his Gunbarrels and also in his action scenes, usually when he's running.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Everyone mentioned that the gunbarrel foreshadows his demise with no blood, but i just thought of it as the logical way to transition into the overhead forest shot
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Everyone mentioned that the gunbarrel foreshadows his demise with no blood, but i just thought of it as the logical way to transition into the overhead forest shot

I agree with you. I've also read that the gunshot sound is off-sync to suggest Bond missed his shot and was instead shot at, but the sound is not really off-sync in the film. Maybe in some YouTube video.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t think there is any muzzle flash though; it’s possible.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    There is a muzzle flash but it's small and easy to miss.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NTTD had the best gun barrel of the Craig era, but it still needs a few tweaks; slow down his walk, use Back To MI6 as the gunbarrel theme (the Bond theme has more of a harder punchier sound in the scene where Bond drives the V8 Vantage, than elsewhere in the film), allow the blood to drip, and the iris to sink to the bottom corner before opening up to the first shot of the film. It feels as though if Craig stayed on for another 5 films, they would finally do the gunbarrel properly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,934
    I was quite surprised that I wasn't bothered about the loss of the blood or the wobble. I thought it worked just as well without them.
    The thing I actually really didn't like was the Universal logo white dot thing- it spoilt the simplicity for me. Especially the way it accelerated- the white dots are geometric; they keep constant speed.