NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    Brosnan had the best pose and design of all of them, IMO.

I like the flap of his jacket as he turns and fires. Brosnan coolness at it's best.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Agreed. GE gunbarrel is my favorite.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Brosnan seemed too much like a robot with his stiff movements.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Agreed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,949

Yes I think he's rather pigeon-chested when he's walking and a bit too straight-legged. I know it's ridiculous to rate them but we're all friends here! :D
    In terms of shooting pose give me Roger any day (that man knew how to throw a shape!), Tim, or Craig's Spectre one over Pierce's any day: bend your knees Pierce!
    :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Yeah. I agree as well.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    The main thing I think I like about GE's gunbarrel is it's the first with the animated metallic barrel, which did a great job of feeling new and modern at the time, I think. So sleek. I liked the score there as well. And Brosnan of course.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The main thing I think I like about GE's gunbarrel is it's the first with the animated metallic barrel, which did a great job of feeling new and modern at the time, I think. So sleek. I liked the score there as well. And Brosnan of course.

Yeah, it's a great Gunbarrel design. No wonder Kleinman is still with EON. Serra's score and Brosnan's very upright posturing are also highlights.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The ‘drum and base’ element of the DAD Gunbarrel went a tad too far IMO. That element blighted the TWINE and DAD scores.

Drum and Base has no place in Bond IMO.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I thought the last decent gun-barrel was Goldeneye - I had few problems with any of the GB's up to this point, I've not been totally on-board with any that have followed since (but some are definitely worse than others).

Agreed! Stiff as a poker! My least favourite gunbarrel!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The ‘drum and base’ element of the DAD Gunbarrel went a tad too far IMO. That element blighted the TWINE and DAD scores.

Quite like the TWINE gunbarrel myself, though I can see why it might not be to everyone's taste. As for the scores in general, yeah there's a bit too much drum and bass in DAD. I would quite like to hear the film version of the Ice Palace car chase cue someday, which didn't feature the electronic elements.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Quite like the TWINE gunbarrel myself, though I can see why it might not be to everyone's taste. As for the scores in general, yeah there's a bit too much drum and bass in DAD. I would quite like to hear the film version of the Ice Palace car chase cue someday, which didn't feature the electronic elements.

No I like the TWINE Gunbarrel, it’s the drum and base elements in parts of the score I don’t like. For example the Caviar factory scene. DAD took it a step further as you say.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Arnold almost seemed to be getting bored with that one and doing weird things to amuse himself. He was even playing the Bond theme backwards..!?
    I actually appreciate Arnold integrating electronic elements into his scores to make them more modern, especially after his largely pastiche TND score that veered way too much towards the 60s sound for my taste.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I actually appreciate Arnold integrating electronic elements into his scores to make them more modern, especially after his largely pastiche TND score that veered way too much towards the 60s sound for my taste.

I think the problem for me was that he seemed to go back to the sound from Backseat Driver but it just never sounded as authentic without the Propellerheads. A bit like how the Bond theme in Living Daylights sounds like someone trying to do that hip new electronic sound the kids are really into, without quite getting it.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 8,025
    Not really a fan of the Propellerheads' contributions. I prefer the ice car chase music from DAD over TND's "Backseat Driver" by many many miles.
  • iamurospiamurosp Belgrade, Serbia
    Gareth007 wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I hope so. Don’t know what they’ll actually do

I personally feel they will now continue the opening gun barrel. I mean, it's so thrilling when it happens at the cinema. I would be gutted if it didn't happen, but im sure it will. I would be happy with the spectre gun barrel again, but the circle actually moving into the sequence, rather than fade out. I understand why they did it with spectre though, due to the dead are alive text.

I would've cut the opening scene for a couple of seconds, while the camera follows the huge skull with cigar, right until the moment we can see Sciara in the distance, on the left and that's where I'd move the circle to.. No "Dead are alive." text. I find it completely unnecessary. I guess it draws similarity with "Think on your sins." from Skyfall, but it doesn't do anything, except maybe spoil something..
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 12,837
    You might have all seen this already, but there’s a guy on Youtube who’s made some mock up gunbarrels and they’re really good. It’s kind of a grittier version of the Brosnan era design, and I love how much thicker the blood seems, feels very modern. He’s done a few, some using the actual gunbarrel score from NTTD, but this is my favourite, with the Goldfinger music

Pretty perfect imo. See EON. It’s really not that hard to get it right.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    If we got something like that at the front of NTTD I'd feel we were in very safe hands for this one, very good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,949
    Lovely! Not quite perfect for me though! My nitpicky notes would be:
    • White dots shouldn't fade away
    • Weird grey rim around gunbarrel - no thank you!
    • Gunbarrel should start to wobble side to side on the second bar of the guitar riff.

So it's not easy to please everyone with these things! :)
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Suspect this is better than what we actually end up with, but hope I'm wrong!
    mtm wrote: »
    Lovely! Not quite perfect for me though! My nitpicky notes would be:
    • White dots shouldn't fade away
    • Weird grey rim around gunbarrel - no thank you!
    • Gunbarrel should start to wobble side to side on the second bar of the guitar riff.

So it's not easy to please everyone with these things! :)

Haha very true, I don’t think there’s a single GB we could all universally agree was spot on. Ironically for how unconventional it was, I think the closest to manage it was probably CR. I don’t think there’s many of us who didn’t get goosebumps at that part watching it for the first time. But even there you’ve got the redesign which people like myself would nitpick. I really don’t envy EON.

I wonder if they’ll try redesigning it again. Personally I‘d prefer it in motion, but I wouldn’t mind them keeping the Spectre one. I just hope the blood’s a bit slower and we can’t see Bond’s gun when he’s walking this time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes the overall look of the Spectre one I thought was fine: I would just have it opening onto the scene.
    Yes the overall look of the Spectre one I thought was fine: I would just have it opening onto the scene.

One element of the SPECTRE gunbarrel I loved was the hue of the blood. Perfect shade of red, IMO. I'd have it wobble, sink, re-emerge center of the screen then open,
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I also really loved the lighting changing, taking Bond to silhouette: it actually feels like something you think they've always done right from the beginning because it makes so much sense, but this is the first one! :)
    I thought the gunbarrel itself looked good too: it looked like a gunbarrel, that's all it needs to do, even if I do maybe prefer the slightly funkier moving ones, as per Skyfall for example.
    Why not just do the FRWL/GF barrel where instead of an iris opening it just does a hard cut to the scenery?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It sort of shrinks away in those ones, doesn't it? I guess Spectre's did recall that in a way, but I like the opening out.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,804
    It sort of shrinks away in those ones, doesn't it? I guess Spectre's did recall that in a way, but I like the opening out.

Yes, it does. The smaller dots descend to the bottom of the screen and we then open on to the PTS. From Thunderball onwards there was the usual opening we've come to know and love, at least up until the current Craig era. You're right that in Spectre we saw a return to that type of opening we'd originally seen in FRWL and GF, only instead of opening into the film we first got the text "The dead are alive."

One thing I'm not that keen on with the Craig era gunbarrels is how the blood is so thick and flows down so quickly over everything. It's like they can't wait to get it over and done with. It's markedly different from the gunbarrels of old, and not in a good way in my opinion.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't mind that so much: you get the idea. I just wish the music wasn't so curtailed: and there's no real reason for it to be. If you play, say, the Thunderball gunbarrel cue over the DAD visuals it still fits: I don't know why David Arnold shortened it.