NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the creative thing with Zimmer's Gunbarrel is, Bond's gait might be in sync with the electric guitar.

It's funny, it took me until the video game trailer to notice that NTTD doesn't have the xylophone that Spectre's does.

Yeah. And it just gets to cement what Marr said about the score bringing back guitars. I think DAD was the last time we had the electric guitar in the Gunbarrel Sequence and prominent use of it in a Bond film as well.

Doesn't QoS use it in the gunbarrel?

Oh! Yeah. You're right. I keep forgetting that....because of how minimal it has been used in Craig's era.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just re watched QOS and I'd forgotten just how quick the gunbarrel passes by at the end. Bond's walk is so fast as to look almost comical. It's almost like whoever created it had heard of this gunbarrel thing but never actually seen one before.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Just re watched QOS and I'd forgotten just how quick the gunbarrel passes by at the end. Bond's walk is so fast as to look almost comical. It's almost like whoever created it had heard of this gunbarrel thing but never actually seen one before.

Yeah. It explains why Kleinman came back to replace MK12. And I don't know why EON didn't use the Gunbarrel sequence Craig shot, wearing a Tux for QoS.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm glad to have the guitar in the vamp for Zimmer's cue, but admittedly I'm still disappointed that we're jumping to the finale for the blood drop again. I was hoping Marr would mean a return to the guitar riff after Bond shoots. I don't really count QOS because it's not a gun barrel cue per se (not to mention that whole sequence is a mess).

Even with DAD's awful CGI bullet it was great having the guitar riff (albeit truncated) blaring like the Connery days. I think Spy and LTK are otherwise the only films beyond Connery that use guitar for it.
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm glad to have the guitar in the vamp for Zimmer's cue, but admittedly I'm still disappointed that we're jumping to the finale for the blood drop again. I was hoping Marr would mean a return to the guitar riff after Bond shoots. I don't really count QOS because it's not a gun barrel cue per se (not to mention that whole sequence is a mess).

Even with DAD's awful CGI bullet it was great having the guitar riff (albeit truncated) blaring like the Connery days. I think Spy and LTK are otherwise the only films beyond Connery that use guitar for it.

I couldn't agree more with your post. I love that we're getting guitar for NTTD, but really wish the traditional gunbarrel music structure established by Barry were used.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,930
    I'm glad to have the guitar in the vamp for Zimmer's cue, but admittedly I'm still disappointed that we're jumping to the finale for the blood drop again. I was hoping Marr would mean a return to the guitar riff after Bond shoots.

Yes I'd like that. I think the finale is quite a good idea for that bit, and in some ways works better (and you'd think Barry would have used that!) but I do just prefer the riff.

I didn't realise but apparently LTK is Vic Flick playing his original guitar.
    I think LALD uses guitar too (as well as trumpet at the same time: having its cake and eating it! :) ).
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I couldn't agree more with your post. I love that we're getting guitar for NTTD, but really wish the traditional gunbarrel music structure established by Barry were used.

Agreed.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm glad to have the guitar in the vamp for Zimmer's cue, but admittedly I'm still disappointed that we're jumping to the finale for the blood drop again. I was hoping Marr would mean a return to the guitar riff after Bond shoots.

Yes I'd like that. I think the finale is quite a good idea for that bit, and in some ways works better (and you'd think Barry would have used that!) but I do just prefer the riff.

I think LALD uses guitar too (as well as trumpet at the same time: having its cake and eating it! :) ).

Using it seemed to be an Arnold thing, although debatably GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64 introduced the idea during the death sequence. It is therefore arguable that Grant Kirkhope beat David Arnold to the punch! Ultimately though, I still prefer the guitar riff.

Also yes you are correct. I had forgotten about the lovely Live and Let Die gun barrel cue and indeed the version of the Bond theme used throughout the score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,930

Using it seemed to be an Arnold thing, although debatably GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64 introduced the idea during the death sequence. It is therefore arguable that Grant Kirkhope beat David Arnold to the punch! Ultimately though, I still prefer the guitar riff.

Weirdly I had it in my head that TSWLM used the finale instead of the riff too, but I guess I was just thinking of the lack of fanfare in that one which Arnold then repeated for TND and TWINE.

That's a really good point about GE 64! Someone should ask Mr Arnold on Twitter if he took it from that! It certainly fits very well: as the blood descends and the unseen assassin 'dies' (by bleeding into his gun somehow!) it makes dramatic sense to hear the climatic final few notes of the theme. And yet, yeah, I just plain prefer the riff!
    :)

Funnily enough George is the only Bond not to have a twangy guitar gunbarrel :)
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just a random thought but it's always puzzled me about the thinking behind the DAD CGI bullet. It's like someone didn't really understand what the gunbarrel is meant to be. (I'll blame Tamahori, it makes me feel better!)
    Are they suggesting that Bond is SUCH a good shot that he can fire a bullet back down the barrel of an enemy's gun, from a distance.
    No of course not, there was no thinking beyond "it will look good."
    It doesn't even achieve that!
    Just a random thought but it's always puzzled me about the thinking behind the DAD CGI bullet. It's like someone didn't really understand what the gunbarrel is meant to be. (I'll blame Tamahori, it makes me feel better!)
    Are they suggesting that Bond is SUCH a good shot that he can fire a bullet back down the barrel of an enemy's gun, from a distance.

In Tamahori's audio commentary with Mickey G he states the bullet was simply to state this was the milestone 20th film. No more no less.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

How come the bad guy bleeds into his own gun? The sequence isn't really supposed to make literal sense :)
    I thought the silver bullet from DAD's Gunbarrel marked the 40th anniversary of James Bond on the silver screen.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I thought the silver bullet from DAD's Gunbarrel marked the 40th anniversary of James Bond on the silver screen.

That’s pretty much all this was.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The bullet never really bothered me all that much.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The bullet, while silly, is definitely among the least of that film's problems!
  • Ryan wrote: »
    The bullet, while silly, is definitely among the least of that film's problems!

Absolutely true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah it's fine. It's not like it's there for long! :)
    If I'd complain about anything in that gunbarrel it's that the guitar riff is so truncated.

If I'd complain about anything in that gunbarrel it's that the guitar riff is so truncated.

Should have repeated another bar. I'd be thrilled if a future Bond film would simply give us an exciting Bond theme played in the tradition Barry established for the gunbarrel. It's been far too long, IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,930

Should have repeated another bar.

Yeah there was no reason not to, to be honest - the cue has finished before the circle even opens up.
    I'm all for experimentation but I must admit I wouldn't mind just a straight old-school gunbarrel now. The NTTD one is not even the work of Zimmer himself.

DAD is as close as we've come to a 'standard' gunbarrel in the last 33 years, astonishingly. QoS is kind of there but of course it doesn't actually end! If I had to pick a favourite musically in that time it'd probably be GoldenEye: I think Serra's version has a stark impact that is better than most, and he manages to stick mostly to the template! Even now it still feels like the start of something.

Should have repeated another bar. I'd be thrilled if a future Bond film would simply give us an exciting Bond theme played in the tradition Barry established for the gunbarrel. It's been far too long, IMO.

Agreed. The TLD Gunbarrel was perfect.

Yeah there was no reason not to, to be honest - the cue has finished before the circle even opens up.
    I'm all for experimentation but I must admit I wouldn't mind just a straight old-school gunbarrel now. The NTTD one is not even the work of Zimmer himself.

DAD is as close as we've come to a 'standard' gunbarrel in the last 33 years, astonishingly. QoS is kind of there but of course it doesn't actually end! If I had to pick a favourite musically in that time it'd probably be GoldenEye: I think Serra's version has a stark impact that is better than most, and he manages to stick mostly to the template! Even now it still feels like the start of something.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes the GoldenEye gunbarrel music. I prefer it to Arnold's first two efforts, actually. The template works, and I find it far more interesting to hear variety within that template. Martin, Conti, Serra and Barry ( multiple times) gave us variety within the structure. Of course, I don't mind mixing things up occasionally as in LTK, but I'd prefer the majority of films stick with tradition.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    One thing I learned about the gun barrel is that beggars can’t be choosers.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes the GoldenEye gunbarrel music. I prefer it to Arnold's first two efforts, actually. The template works, and I find it far more interesting to hear variety within that template. Martin, Conti, Serra and Barry ( multiple times) gave us variety within the structure. Of course, I don't mind mixing things up occasionally as in LTK, but I'd prefer the majority of films stick with tradition.

I dislike Serra’s score in general.

But the Gunbarrel works and is very cool. I like it too.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    GoldenEye's gunbarrel is among my favourites, if not my favourite.
    I'm quite excited to see what the graphic image for the NTTD gunbarrel with be like.
    I'd actually be happy if it were similar to the Brosnan era version.
    One element I did like about the SP gunbarrel was the shade of blood. Not too dark, not too bright. I just wish it would ooze down a bit slower. The blood in the previous two films plops down like dog food into a doggy dish.
    Still as far as we know, we're getting the gunbarrel in the beginning, so I promise I won't whine too much...........................(yeah, right).
    GoldenEye's gunbarrel is among my favourites, if not my favourite.

Me too. To this day, it still sounds very futuristic. Probably because of the synthpop style Serra used.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I also really like the GE gunbarrel. Though there's actually no gunbarrels I really dislike, musically.
    I'm loving the love for the GoldenEye gunbarrel!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Brosnan had the best pose and design of all of them, IMO.