Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

R.81df74f95a95032e143ec727728be723?rik=46ZLlIU3w4Dzjg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fsoulprospermedia.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2fSnoop-Dogg-2.jpg&ehk=84Tv%2bfTxUtKBTI48RAhPFmFOc%2fpInuhcUXkav9ztk04%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    SD.jpg

Bond. James Bond.

This is more like it! Snoop gets my vote!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Watching Falling for Figaro right now. Not great, but I'm an opera aficionado and Joanna Lumley is always a delight. Anyway, has Hugh Skinner been mentioned? Not too sure about his fave, bit he's tall, unknown (as far as I know) and a baritone.

Quite an interesting thought, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him in a non-comedic role, but maybe.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    R.81df74f95a95032e143ec727728be723?rik=46ZLlIU3w4Dzjg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fsoulprospermedia.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2fSnoop-Dogg-2.jpg&ehk=84Tv%2bfTxUtKBTI48RAhPFmFOc%2fpInuhcUXkav9ztk04%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    SD.jpg

Bond. James Bond.

This is more like it! Snoop gets my vote!

Those who want Bond to smoke, would surely get their wish granted.
    007HallY wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

FLWXVvmUcAESw1k?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVweUcAAhgi5?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVz9VcAUfTF1?format=jpg&name=large

On these pictures hell yes! And he's only 31 now.

Very bland looking I think…

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

A weak,,thin voice is the strike against so many young actors.

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

I mean, it's a bit like saying 'an actor doesn't have the right accent'...

That said as much as I like Taylor-Johnson as an actor, I doubt he'd be a good candidate. You never know but that's my instinct.

Of course an actor can modulate his voice, but there's limits to what one can do until it feels unnatural. A tenor can't become a baritone on cue.

I think you'd be surprised at how much actors can modulate their voices convincingly, especially if you don't know what their regular voices sound like before seeing them perform. It's a bit like accents. So while I get what you're saying I don't think having a less than baritone voice is a minus against any actor for Bond. I don't think pitch in itself is necessarily an indicator of a strong voice anyway.

I know an actor can change his voice a lot, but some roles and projects are more merciless than others for the technique. David Suchet completely changed his voice for Poirot. But he played in whodunits. Bond is a bigger, with action sequences, times when he'd do stunt, or play Bond in an emotionally charged moment, etc. Times when an accent or a voice can slip and are more difficult to control.

Don't get me wrong: I think he's worth an audition. But I'm very skeptical since I've heard him.

Yeah, I'm not sold on him either.

For what it's worth I suspect an actor changing their voice/mannerisms isn't all that unusual for Bond (Connery seemed to temper his Scottish accent as much as he could in his early films, which of course went out the window later as did many aspects of his performance anyway. Dalton had a couple of moments where his accent slipped, as did Brosnan). I do think fans will be surprised just how much the next Bond will have to transform themselves for the role. A lot of the actors being listed here do not have a naturally Southern English accent but regional ones (even Craig who was born in Cheshire has a rather 'neutral' accent probably due to his early work in theatre). Many have not done films/tv shows with a lot of stunt work/action scenes. It might be a positive thing - more of an objectivity in how the actor portrays the character perhaps.

Yes all of them neutralise their accents to a degree. Connery only kept his full on Scottish accent later on in his career. I fully agree that an actor transforms into the role. Sometimes the gap is bigger. For ATJ, given his voice... he would need to be extremely focused and talented. To be honest, when I hear him I thought he'd be good playing the title role of The Last Days of Michael Jackson or one of the Chipmunks.

Again, while I don't think he's the right choice, I'd look at ATJ's performances in Nocturnal Animals and pretty much most other films he's done over the past few years (Tenet, Godzilla, Anna Karenina). The guy is not only pretty good with different accents but he has an ability to adjust his voice, intonation, tone, pitch etc. to the character he's playing. He's an accomplished actor. I just don't think the actor's voice makes much difference really. If they can't adapt themselves to the role effectively and consistently they won't get it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

That said as much as I like Taylor-Johnson as an actor, I doubt he'd be a good candidate. You never know but that's my instinct.

Of course an actor can modulate his voice, but there's limits to what one can do until it feels unnatural. A tenor can't become a baritone on cue.

I think you'd be surprised at how much actors can modulate their voices convincingly, especially if you don't know what their regular voices sound like before seeing them perform. It's a bit like accents. So while I get what you're saying I don't think having a less than baritone voice is a minus against any actor for Bond. I don't think pitch in itself is necessarily an indicator of a strong voice anyway.

I know an actor can change his voice a lot, but some roles and projects are more merciless than others for the technique. David Suchet completely changed his voice for Poirot. But he played in whodunits. Bond is a bigger, with action sequences, times when he'd do stunt, or play Bond in an emotionally charged moment, etc. Times when an accent or a voice can slip and are more difficult to control.

Don't get me wrong: I think he's worth an audition. But I'm very skeptical since I've heard him.

For what it's worth I suspect an actor changing their voice/mannerisms isn't all that unusual for Bond (Connery seemed to temper his Scottish accent as much as he could in his early films, which of course went out the window later as did many aspects of his performance anyway. Dalton had a couple of moments where his accent slipped, as did Brosnan). I do think fans will be surprised just how much the next Bond will have to transform themselves for the role. A lot of the actors being listed here do not have a naturally Southern English accent but regional ones (even Craig who was born in Cheshire has a rather 'neutral' accent probably due to his early work in theatre). Many have not done films/tv shows with a lot of stunt work/action scenes. It might be a positive thing - more of an objectivity in how the actor portrays the character perhaps.

Yes all of them neutralise their accents to a degree. Connery only kept his full on Scottish accent later on in his career. I fully agree that an actor transforms into the role. Sometimes the gap is bigger. For ATJ, given his voice... he would need to be extremely focused and talented. To be honest, when I hear him I thought he'd be good playing the title role of The Last Days of Michael Jackson or one of the Chipmunks.

Again, while I don't think he's the right choice, I'd look at ATJ's performances in Nocturnal Animals and pretty much most other films he's done over the past few years (Tenet, Godzilla, Anna Karenina). The guy is not only pretty good with different accents but he has an ability to adjust his voice, intonation, tone, pitch etc. to the character he's playing. He's an accomplished actor. I just don't think the actor's voice makes much difference really. If they can't adapt themselves to the role effectively and consistently they won't get it.

A fair and well written summary of ATJ’s attributes @007HallY . He wouldn’t be my first choice. Or make my list of potentials.
    That being said, I didn’t have Daniel Craig on my list for Bond #6. So I’m happy to be surprised.
    Benny wrote: »

A fair and well written summary of ATJ’s attributes @007HallY . He wouldn’t be my first choice. Or make my list of potentials.
    That being said, I didn’t have Daniel Craig on my list for Bond #6. So I’m happy to be surprised.

Thanks. Even if he's not my preferred choice I rate him highly as an actor. I suspect we'll get more of a chameleon-like actor for the next Bond regardless: more of a Timothy Dalton than a Roger Moore or Sean Connery, regardless of their interpretation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,949
    Gosh I hope not: I’d want them to be a proper movie star.

I don't know him as an actor. So I assess him with what I have. I think he might have the right look.

I don't know him as an actor. So I assess him with what I have. I think he might have the right look.

I get that, insofar as that can be used to indicate who's a potential Bond (can be deceptive though - Henry Cavill has the charisma and acting ability of an action figure, and yet the press constantly tout him as a contender precisely because he looks like an action figure).

I get that, insofar as that can be used to indicate who's a potential Bond (can be deceptive though - Henry Cavill has the charisma and acting ability of an action figure, and yet the press constantly tout him as a contender precisely because he looks like an action figure).

Funny, I think Cavill's skin looks like plastic. He'd play a great Ken in a Barbie film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Funny, I think Cavill's skin looks like plastic. He'd play a great Ken in a Barbie film.

Lol, he would make a great Ken.

Haha. A part of me feels bad whenever I give my opinions on Cavill's acting ability and screen precense. He genuinely seems like a nice guy in interviews (he could be a ba*tard for all I know, but this is how he comes across). Ah well.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Cavill puts the magic in Mike
    I've never liked the idea of Matt Smith but he could be an interesting choice:

MV5BMjE0NzExMTg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIyNTI5NzE@._V1_UY1200_CR188,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
    Put him in the gym for 6 months, give him a good hairstyle and we could have something. Possibly.
    For zombie Bond, he might be good.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Matt Smith's certainly got the range and those eyes have a certain allure to them but as for the rest of his features, there's is a goofiness to them that Steven Moffat exploited on numerous occasions on Doctor Who and I think that's where his legacy is going to be, feels like there should be some law against doing both Who and Bond. Can't be City and United, can you?
    For zombie Bond, he might be good.

Yes! Great actor but not Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    A.k.a. FrankenBond
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Liking all the love for Matt Smith (favourite nu-Who Doctor), and if he were ever to get the gig I would go with it. He would be perfect for the role of Q.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2022 Posts: 8,034
    I find Sam Riley to be an interesting fugly choice. I also recommend checking out Reilly: Ace of Spies for Sam O'neal fans

5d6f3bfba75cd98d5c255e36d7b93e1d.jpg

Yeah I suggested Sam Riley a while back and got a bit of push back on it. In retrospect, I think I was a bit off - it was mainly because I enjoyed SS-GB that he stood out to me. Looks wise, he's unconventional (no more than Craig is though, really). The talk of the voice aspect in recent pages made him pop back into my mind though, as he's got a good one. I think his very pale skin and almost vampiric features make him more suitable for a henchman, maybe. Or another Double-O.

Haha. A part of me feels bad whenever I give my opinions on Cavill's acting ability and screen precense. He genuinely seems like a nice guy in interviews (he could be a ba*tard for all I know, but this is how he comes across). Ah well.

I wish Cavill was better than he is. But he didn't grow in the actor he could have been.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 7,972

I wish Cavill was better than he is. But he didn't grow in the actor he could have been.

Exactly how I felt about Adrian Paul. He had a great look and physicality and was really good as Duncan McCloud but ultimately was an average, limited, actor.

He's not even that untalented per say (ok, he's far from the best actor in the world but he's good enough for specific roles). It's just that compared to someone like Daniel Craig he lacks that wider acting range and screen presence. I'm just not drawn to him when I watch him. It's the sort of thing that immediately disqualifies you from Bond, even if you're handsome or look good in a tuxedo. Doesn't help that his acting can be a touch wooden.

He's not even that untalented per say (ok, he's far from the best actor in the world but he's good enough for specific roles). It's just that compared to someone like Daniel Craig he lacks that wider acting range and screen presence. I'm just not drawn to him when I watch him. It's the sort of thing that immediately disqualifies you from Bond, even if you're handsome or look good in a tuxedo. Doesn't help that his acting can be a touch wooden.

I can always sense that he is “ acting “ and contemplating every line that he recites.

I can always sense that he is “ acting “ and contemplating every line that he recites.

I sometimes get Joey from Friends vibes off of him in that sense, haha.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I don't think he's untalented either: he has played the lead in several big movies and you can't do that if you're totally rubbish, but I don't think he has the can't-take-your-eyes-off-him extra factor that I'd want in a Bond.
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah I don't think he's untalented either: he has played the lead in several big movies and you can't do that if you're totally rubbish, but I don't think he has the can't-take-your-eyes-off-him extra factor that I'd want in a Bond.

Completely agree. He's certainly a case where the most obvious choice for Bond isn't necessarily the best one. I think he was generally praised for his role in Mission Impossible and I liked him in that, but in a post Craig Bond era though I think the next Bond needs more acting chops than ever before. I don't think Brosnan or Lazenby would fare quite as well as they did if their younger selves were transposed onto this era. That's why I've said I suspect the next Bond actor will be more of a character actor along the lines of Dalton.
    16116726540027.jpg
    Bradley Freegard. 39 and Welsh.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,928
    "talos7 wrote:
    Exactly how I felt about Adrian Paul. He had a great look and physicality and was really good as Duncan McCloud but ultimately was an average, limited, actor.
    Yes, there were a few years there when Adrian seemed like the natural successor to Brosnan. There were rumours that Cubby liked him for the role and if you'd put him next to Craig as late as 2005 you'd still have thought that Paul was Bond and Dan was Red Grant. He did two screen tests (when Brosnan and then Craig got the job), neither of which have surfaced, but it's pretty clear at this point that Adrian doesn't have anything even approaching Craig's acting ability. I can easily imagine Adrian Paul being cast if Cubby had still been around after Brosnan's time was up - but I'm not sure how the series would've gone if they'd stayed on the traditional route instead of breaking the mold.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2022 Posts: 8,034
    A lot of people have an intense dislike of Cavill but even if I can't get onboard with the idea of him as Bond, I still find him to be a decent movie star. He's quite watchable and a likeable enough presence.

But we need a little something else, something extra, for Bond.