Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

FLWXVvmUcAESw1k?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVweUcAAhgi5?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVz9VcAUfTF1?format=jpg&name=large

On these pictures hell yes! And he's only 31 now.

Very bland looking I think…

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

A weak,,thin voice is the strike against so many young actors.

That's what he needs to grow before he can get the role. Seriously I was taken aback.
    007HallY wrote: »
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

I mean, it's a bit like saying 'an actor doesn't have the right accent'...

That said as much as I like Taylor-Johnson as an actor, I doubt he'd be a good candidate. You never know but that's my instinct.

Of course an actor can modulate his voice, but there's limits to what one can do until it feels unnatural. A tenor can't become a baritone on cue.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

That said as much as I like Taylor-Johnson as an actor, I doubt he'd be a good candidate. You never know but that's my instinct.

Of course an actor can modulate his voice, but there's limits to what one can do until it feels unnatural. A tenor can't become a baritone on cue.

Exactly.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Before we start listing names, I think we need to ask this of the next Bond actor: can he do funny? I think we need a lighter touch now. We need to get the fun and excitement and escapism back. Lots of great dramatic actors with smouldering good looks, but the next Bond needs something else: a humorous side to him, because "serious" is not where this series needs to go next. Of all the contenders, I still think Tom Hiddleston is a great fit. He can easily switch between serious and funny - and he looks dashing in a tux.

That’s why I like the idea of Matt Smith doing it. He’s the only actor I could imagine pulling off a modern day Roger Moore style Bond. He’s got the insane amount of charm you need to make the audience go along with the camp outlandish stuff. And he’s a brilliant actor with physical presence to boot. He’d be a very different sort of Bond but I think that’s probably what we need.

That’s a very interesting thought. It would be fun to see what he’d do with it.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,869

I think you'd be surprised at how much actors can modulate their voices convincingly, especially if you don't know what their regular voices sound like before seeing them perform. It's a bit like accents. So while I get what you're saying I don't think having a less than baritone voice is a minus against any actor for Bond. I don't think pitch in itself is necessarily an indicator of a strong voice anyway.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    mtm wrote: »
    Before we start listing names, I think we need to ask this of the next Bond actor: can he do funny? I think we need a lighter touch now. We need to get the fun and excitement and escapism back. Lots of great dramatic actors with smouldering good looks, but the next Bond needs something else: a humorous side to him, because "serious" is not where this series needs to go next. Of all the contenders, I still think Tom Hiddleston is a great fit. He can easily switch between serious and funny - and he looks dashing in a tux.

That’s why I like the idea of Matt Smith doing it. He’s the only actor I could imagine pulling off a modern day Roger Moore style Bond. He’s got the insane amount of charm you need to make the audience go along with the camp outlandish stuff. And he’s a brilliant actor with physical presence to boot. He’d be a very different sort of Bond but I think that’s probably what we need.

Yes I'd be on board with Matt Smith I think, I suggested him a few pages back as a bit of an alternative take on the role. I find him interesting to watch.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's surprising how much having the right voice can help portray the character.

I still remember at Daniel's unveiling in 2005, being impressed by him having a low commanding voice for the role, similar to Connery and Dalton. Hopefully they choose someone with a better voice than Lazenby or Brosnan.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    What I found interesting about the Being James Bond documentary, is a clip of Layer Cake is never shown. Maybe they were already in negotiations with Craig by then I don't know.
    I found that to be very deliberate on their part, almost as if to say, we didn't cast him because of the obvious potential in Layer Cake, he was on our minds way before them in these arty films.

Barbara was right about Daniel being charismatic walking down that hallway in Elizabeth, I'm glad that clip was in there
    I think Layer Cake is the film where everybody saw Daniel's potential and Eon don't want to admit it tipped it in his favour. If nothing else it didn't hurt his chances

Have any of the potential candidates got any roles that are similar, coming up this year?

There is a BBC drama coming soon telling the story of the creation of the SAS and SBS. It's from the creator of Peaky Blinders so it will probably pick up some traction and stars Jack O'Connell. Watch this space for the usual "bookie's odds a slashed on the next Bond" stuff...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,929
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    What I found interesting about the Being James Bond documentary, is a clip of Layer Cake is never shown. Maybe they were already in negotiations with Craig by then I don't know.
    I found that to be very deliberate on their part, almost as if to say, we didn't cast him because of the obvious potential in Layer Cake, he was on our minds way before them in these arty films.

Barbara was right about Daniel being charismatic walking down that hallway in Elizabeth, I'm glad that clip was in there
    I think Layer Cake is the film where everybody saw Daniel's potential and Eon don't want to admit it tipped it in his favour. If nothing else it didn't hurt his chances

Have any of the potential candidates got any roles that are similar, coming up this year?

There is a BBC drama coming soon telling the story of the creation of the SAS and SBS. It's from the creator of Peaky Blinders so it will probably pick up some traction and stars Jack O'Connell. Watch this space for the usual "bookie's odds a slashed on the next Bond" stuff...

Yes the teaser came out the other day, it is still looking good and I think you're right, O'Connell will get plenty of Bond attention from it as he's playing doublehard Paddy Mayne:

• edited April 2022 Posts: 14,816

I think you'd be surprised at how much actors can modulate their voices convincingly, especially if you don't know what their regular voices sound like before seeing them perform. It's a bit like accents. So while I get what you're saying I don't think having a less than baritone voice is a minus against any actor for Bond. I don't think pitch in itself is necessarily an indicator of a strong voice anyway.

I know an actor can change his voice a lot, but some roles and projects are more merciless than others for the technique. David Suchet completely changed his voice for Poirot. But he played in whodunits. Bond is a bigger, with action sequences, times when he'd do stunt, or play Bond in an emotionally charged moment, etc. Times when an accent or a voice can slip and are more difficult to control.

Don't get me wrong: I think he's worth an audition. But I'm very skeptical since I've heard him.

I know an actor can change his voice a lot, but some roles and projects are more merciless than others for the technique. David Suchet completely changed his voice for Poirot. But he played in whodunits. Bond is a bigger, with action sequences, times when he'd do stunt, or play Bond in an emotionally charged moment, etc. Times when an accent or a voice can slip and are more difficult to control.

Don't get me wrong: I think he's worth an audition. But I'm very skeptical since I've heard him.

Yeah, I'm not sold on him either.

For what it's worth I suspect an actor changing their voice/mannerisms isn't all that unusual for Bond (Connery seemed to temper his Scottish accent as much as he could in his early films, which of course went out the window later as did many aspects of his performance anyway. Dalton had a couple of moments where his accent slipped, as did Brosnan). I do think fans will be surprised just how much the next Bond will have to transform themselves for the role. A lot of the actors being listed here do not have a naturally Southern English accent but regional ones (even Craig who was born in Cheshire has a rather 'neutral' accent probably due to his early work in theatre). Many have not done films/tv shows with a lot of stunt work/action scenes. It might be a positive thing - more of an objectivity in how the actor portrays the character perhaps.
    Sounds like we need a voice actor!
    Question: Does Brosnan pronounce it as "Bond" or "Bahnd" ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,929
    Many people described Brosnan's accent as 'transatlantic' at the time, but I still can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is.

I think it's interesting that pretty much only Connery out of all of the Bonds played Bond with anything approaching his natural original accent. Lazenby was obviously an Aussie, Roger came from Stockwell so I can't imagine he grew up with that plummy accent, Tim was from Derbyshire so has a Northern accent which still peeks out, Pierce must have grown up with a normal Irish accent as he only left when he was 11, and Craig was 16 before he left the Wirral so was presumably fairly Scouse.
    Even though Bond is kind of the poster boy for RP it's quite funny that only one Southerner has played him.
    I think Brosnan pronounces it the way an American would. I love all the actors way of delivering the line. They all sound familiar.

Harry Styles has a Cheshire accent, lol.
    Matt Smith I never thought of... but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.. He definitely isn't high up on my list. but he definitely looks interesting

I still say Jack Bannon is my number one for younger then me with Nicholas Hoult at Number 2...

O'connell i think could be interesting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I definitely think O'Connell will shoot up the list of the possibles when Rogue Heroes comes out.

Yeah, I'm not sold on him either.

For what it's worth I suspect an actor changing their voice/mannerisms isn't all that unusual for Bond (Connery seemed to temper his Scottish accent as much as he could in his early films, which of course went out the window later as did many aspects of his performance anyway. Dalton had a couple of moments where his accent slipped, as did Brosnan). I do think fans will be surprised just how much the next Bond will have to transform themselves for the role. A lot of the actors being listed here do not have a naturally Southern English accent but regional ones (even Craig who was born in Cheshire has a rather 'neutral' accent probably due to his early work in theatre). Many have not done films/tv shows with a lot of stunt work/action scenes. It might be a positive thing - more of an objectivity in how the actor portrays the character perhaps.

Yes all of them neutralise their accents to a degree. Connery only kept his full on Scottish accent later on in his career. I fully agree that an actor transforms into the role. Sometimes the gap is bigger. For ATJ, given his voice... he would need to be extremely focused and talented. To be honest, when I hear him I thought he'd be good playing the title role of The Last Days of Michael Jackson or one of the Chipmunks.
    Without effort, Theo James has an outstanding voice

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't like having a go at peoples' appearance, but I always feel James is a bit.. cross eyed?
    Without effort, Theo James has an outstanding voice

This one I'm not sure about his face.
    I don't like having a go at peoples' appearance, but I always feel James is a bit.. cross eyed?

No your thinking of Mary....

since no one will get the joke

I think he is maturing into his looks; something that would benefit a 15 year run.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    I find Sam Riley to be an interesting fugly choice. I also recommend checking out Reilly: Ace of Spies for Sam O'neal fans

5d6f3bfba75cd98d5c255e36d7b93e1d.jpg
    Nice to see O’Connell’s name mentioned again, he’s been my favourite suggestion for a while. I think he’d bring a similar sort of masculine virility to early Connery and early Craig, while also being a different enough sort of actor to set himself apart.
    cwl007 wrote: »

Yes I'd be on board with Matt Smith I think, I suggested him a few pages back as a bit of an alternative take on the role. I find him interesting to watch.

I think he’s about the right sort of profile too. The novelty of Dr Who replacing Daniel Craig would definitely grab a few headlines, particularly in the UK, but he’s not too famous, and he’s not a bookies favourite. People might know him, but not many would have thought of him for Bond. Which could potentially make him a really exciting feeling choice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't picture Matt Smith as Bond. A brilliant Doctor, in my top 3, but I am struggling to picture him as Bond. Would he want to take on another iconic role, laden with baggage?
    Would he want to take on another iconic role, laden with baggage?

I like Doctor Who, and it is an iconic part of British TV, but it I’m not sure it would factor into his decision when we’re talking about something as massive as Bond. I think the A list career boost and huge pay days would probably be enough to sway any doubts he had about stepping back into the tabloid firing line.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    R.81df74f95a95032e143ec727728be723?rik=46ZLlIU3w4Dzjg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fsoulprospermedia.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2fSnoop-Dogg-2.jpg&ehk=84Tv%2bfTxUtKBTI48RAhPFmFOc%2fpInuhcUXkav9ztk04%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    SD.jpg

Bond. James Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Would he want to take on another iconic role, laden with baggage?

I like Doctor Who, and it is an iconic part of British TV, but it I’m not sure it would factor into his decision when we’re talking about something as massive as Bond. I think the A list career boost and huge pay days would probably be enough to sway any doubts he had about stepping back into the tabloid firing line.

I wasn't thinking about the tabloid firing line so much as stepping into another role that would overshadow his career. He has a good career going for himself. I think he would be making a mistake. But if he were cast, I would go and see the film for myself.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What I kind of like about the suggestion of Smith for Bond is that I can’t quite imagine it and I’d actually be quite interested just to see how he’d do it! :)
    I never saw him play Patrick Bateman, I guess that would give some hints.
    Watching Falling for Figaro right now. Not great, but I'm an opera aficionado and Joanna Lumley is always a delight. Anyway, has Hugh Skinner been mentioned? Not too sure about his fave, bit he's tall, unknown (as far as I know) and a baritone.