Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Idris feels he is too old for Bond, I myself still think he has two quick ones in him before age rules him out.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/idris-elba-feels-hes-too-180000281.html

The article also suggests Kingsley Ben-Adir.

His name has popped up once or twice. I am surprised he is only 36. I would have thought he is older fromt he way he carries himself and his look (well, probably mostly the graying hair...).
    My first thought was he would be more suited as Tanner or possibly even M. Young hot-shot intelligence careerist, promoted to the big chair. A cross between Mallory and Denbigh but actually a good guy, maybe. Is he just a diversity and youth promotion or does he really have it? Maybe would put too much focus on M (again) instead of Bond and such a story would be the anti-thesis of what M used to be. The big old battleship behind the desk. But still interesting, possibly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never seen him in anything, but he has good looks and a certain charm about him. He might work.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,756
    I like Ben-Adir as an actor. There's of course the whole 'should Bond be black' discussion. It's impossible to know if he's a good fit for the part without seeing him audition though (same case with all these actors really, all we can do is point out potentially interesting choices). My instinct is we'll most likely see a white actor cast in the role but EON will be willing to audition non-white actors. Even if he isn't Bond though I'd like to see him in a future Bond film in some capacity.
    What do any of you think of this Jonathan Bailey chap that I'm seeing floating around?
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I've only ever seen him in Doctor Who and Broadchurch several years ago and he's a decent enough actor but I can't say he made much of an impression. Looks wise he's not who I imagine as Bond.
    Not seeing him as Bond personally but you never know. I doubt it though.
    Okay so I just watched the first episode Slow Horses which was amazing (and look Elliot Carver's in it) and in many ways I think could be the blueprint for Bond 26 but also Jack Lowden really impressed me. I'd never heard of him before but for me he really does look like Bond, he's Scottish and he's 31. But the fact is I have no imagination and him playing an MI5 agent might be too similar to then play the most famous MI6 one, plus having two blond Bonds in a row might be pushing it.

slow-horses-jonathan-pryce.jpg

with that pic yeah I can see him as 007
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    007HallY wrote: »
    I like Ben-Adir as an actor. There's of course the whole 'should Bond be black' discussion. It's impossible to know if he's a good fit for the part without seeing him audition though (same case with all these actors really, all we can do is point out potentially interesting choices). My instinct is we'll most likely see a white actor cast in the role but EON will be willing to audition non-white actors. Even if he isn't Bond though I'd like to see him in a future Bond film in some capacity.

There is some merit to the complexion debate even if there shouldn’t be. I think one of the reasons Idris Elba is declining and why a black Bond could be unlikely is if they would want to keep Naomi Harris and Lashana Lynch in the franchise. It shouldn’t be a problem but I have a hard time seeing all the MI6 agents being black or brown (although it would resemble real life better lol)

A blond Bond would have to be unique enough not to come of as a meek substitute to Craig.

I think they might audition/screentest many candidates, unless they already have strong favourites. Craig seemed to be set from the start last time. People here seem to have a clue as to the criteria young/relatively unknown, what do they base it on?

talos7 wrote: »
    Lowden is high on my list.

What about Highden? Pretty low, huh?

Brilliant !
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    What do any of you think of this Jonathan Bailey chap that I'm seeing floating around?

He could play Bond in a TV Spin-off. Looks good enough, can act ok, voice, age, size, all fits. Just doesn’t seem like a movie star who could carry this franchise forward.
    I think I’ve written here before that there isn’t really anything about him that screams „no“, but there is equally nothing that makes you think „Oh yes! That’s James Bond.“
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    The Father:

DA1vYEsXcAAh6nR?format=jpg&name=medium

The Son:

FFA%2BRoss%2BSeamus%2Bclose%2Bcrop%2Bsmall%2BP.jpg

The Holy Bond:

tumblr_inline_oen80cz4bs1tae3h3_250.gifv

There is some merit to the complexion debate even if there shouldn’t be. I think one of the reasons Idris Elba is declining and why a black Bond could be unlikely is if they would want to keep Naomi Harris and Lashana Lynch in the franchise. It shouldn’t be a problem but I have a hard time seeing all the MI6 agents being black or brown (although it would resemble real life better lol)

A blond Bond would have to be unique enough not to come of as a meek substitute to Craig.

I think they might audition/screentest many candidates, unless they already have strong favourites. Craig seemed to be set from the start last time. People here seem to have a clue as to the criteria young/relatively unknown, what do they base it on?

I don't think Lynch is returning anytime soon. Harris might be. I hope so anyway, if not as Moneypenny perhaps as a new M or something? Depends on what they want to do with the series/cast going forward.

I think it's possible there could be a non-white Bond in the future (the discussion is usually focused solely on black actors, but is it impossible a mixed-race actor, one with part caucasian lineage, could get it? Would there be as much, if any, controversy around such a casting?) Unless a complete unknown pops up in a similar way that Lazenby did though I'm not sure if we'll get such an actor this time, although I could always be wrong. The likes of Rege Jean-Page, while a plausible choice, seems to be engaged with a reboot of the The Saint and has other commitments due to his recent popularity. Ironically some of this popularity is in part due to the hype around him as a potential Bond. Ben-Adir is a solid character actor, one who I'd love to see in a Bond film as I said, but he doesn't jump out at me as a candidate, probably owing to the fact that he hasn't played anything particularly Bond-esque as far as I know. Elba is too old to be committed to many films and he's been discussed too much to be a likely candidate. I've seen some other unlikely suggestions such as Daniel Kanuuya and John Boyega floating around. I think we'll have a more diverse cast in Bond 26 ultimately - a non-white Bond girl, M, villain etc. Not that that's particularly groundbreaking.

Ultimately, I think Broccoli has a list of potential candidates and has had so for a long time now (probably since Craig said he'd rather slit his wrists than play Bond again). They'll audition a wider range of candidates, but I think they know full well that it's down to these auditions. Whether an actor is black or white doesn't necessarily mean they'll bring something new to their interpretation of Bond. They don't have to look like either Henry Cavill or Daniel Craig either. They'll want to know that the actor understands the role, is consistent with the direction they want to take the series in, embodies Bond as a character and is committed. It's impossible to know which actor will shine through in that situation.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2022 Posts: 5,841
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

FLWXVvmUcAESw1k?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVweUcAAhgi5?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVz9VcAUfTF1?format=jpg&name=large
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    What I found interesting about the Being James Bond documentary, is a clip of Layer Cake is never shown. Maybe they were already in negotiations with Craig by then I don't know.
    I found that to be very deliberate on their part, almost as if to say, we didn't cast him because of the obvious potential in Layer Cake, he was on our minds way before them in these arty films.

Barbara was right about Daniel being charismatic walking down that hallway in Elizabeth, I'm glad that clip was in there
    I think Layer Cake is the film where everybody saw Daniel's potential and Eon don't want to admit it tipped it in his favour. If nothing else it didn't hurt his chances

Have any of the potential candidates got any roles that are similar, coming up this year?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So gonna drop Aaron Taylor-Johnson in again, only because I rewatched The Kings Man recently and feel its the most Bondian he's looked in recent years, given how he's been sporting a beard most of time.

On these pictures hell yes! And he's only 31 now.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,756
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    What I found interesting about the Being James Bond documentary, is a clip of Layer Cake is never shown. Maybe they were already in negotiations with Craig by then I don't know.
    I found that to be very deliberate on their part, almost as if to say, we didn't cast him because of the obvious potential in Layer Cake, he was on our minds way before them in these arty films.

Barbara was right about Daniel being charismatic walking down that hallway in Elizabeth, I'm glad that clip was in there
    I think Layer Cake is the film where everybody saw Daniel's potential and Eon don't want to admit it tipped it in his favour. If nothing else it didn't hurt his chances

Have any of the potential candidates got any roles that are similar, coming up this year?

Not this year, but I get what you mean. When I've mentioned actors in this thread it's been based on a specific role they've done that I find Bondian in some way (Tom Hughes in The Game, Jack Bannon in Pennyworth, and even Jack Lowden seems to have this new show about MI5 agents out at the moment).
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Not this year, but I get what you mean. When I've mentioned actors in this thread it's been based on a specific role they've done that I find Bondian in some way (Tom Hughes in The Game, Jack Bannon in Pennyworth, and even Jack Lowden seems to have this new show about MI5 agents out at the moment).

Thanks mate, I'll have to check a few of them out. I've watched a few potential Bond's breakout series (Night Manger, Poldark) the only one that impressed me was Bodyguard, starring Richard Madden
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Ludovico wrote: »

Very bland looking I think…

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    QsCat wrote: »

I agree completely.

Before we start listing names, I think we need to ask this of the next Bond actor: can he do funny? I think we need a lighter touch now. We need to get the fun and excitement and escapism back. Lots of great dramatic actors with smouldering good looks, but the next Bond needs something else: a humorous side to him, because "serious" is not where this series needs to go next. Of all the contenders, I still think Tom Hiddleston is a great fit. He can easily switch between serious and funny - and he looks dashing in a tux.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Before we start listing names, I think we need to ask this of the next Bond actor: can he do funny? I think we need a lighter touch now. We need to get the fun and excitement and escapism back. Lots of great dramatic actors with smouldering good looks, but the next Bond needs something else: a humorous side to him, because "serious" is not where this series needs to go next. Of all the contenders, I still think Tom Hiddleston is a great fit. He can easily switch between serious and funny - and he looks dashing in a tux.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Aidan Turner is a naturally funny guy and has charisma in spades. I don't find HiddlePiddle suitable at all in those regards. Not even taking into consideration he looks like Fido Dido in a suit.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 14,800

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

No more no less than many names mentioned here. Or Brosnan (and it's not a dig at him). Or Craig. Of course I haven't seen him acting, but on looks alone I'd say he's worth an audition.

Okay quick edit: I've just listened to him in interviews and his voice is, well... oh boy I can't imagine him saying "Bond, James Bond". At all. More seriously, he's really not a baritone.

A weak,,thin voice is the strike against so many young actors.

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

I mean, it's a bit like saying 'an actor doesn't have the right accent'...

That said as much as I like Taylor-Johnson as an actor, I doubt he'd be a good candidate. You never know but that's my instinct.

If only there were a solution such as an actor lowering it consciously for the purpose of their performance...

You state the obvious; unfortunately it’s rarely done.

You state the obvious; unfortunately it’s rarely done.

It ultimately depends on the actor. If they can't embody Bond as a character then they're no good and won't get past the first audition. To whatever extent all of the actors have had to mould themselves to the role so a change in voice/accent for an actor would just be an extension of that potentially.
  • Just came across some pictures of Hoult from a 2020 movie titled The Banker. Same argument that has already been used: considering the time that will pass before Bond 26 enters into production, he will age... I just wanted to add that, based on these pictures, he already seemed in 2020 to be physically promising:
    1118full-the-banker-screenshot.jpg
    Wouldn't he be a tad too expensive? He's been in some big films (X-Men etc.) If I were a producer I'd be wanting to go for someone less well known. Not sure if I'm seeing Bond from him, but again you never know.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Just came across some pictures of Hoult from a 2020 movie titled The Banker. Same argument that has already been used: considering the time that will pass before Bond 26 enters into production, he will age... I just wanted to add that, based on these pictures, he already seemed in 2020 to be physically promising:

Ugh, he has such an annoying face. Nose too small and a weak jawline. Looks like a 16 yo playing dress up.
    SonofSean wrote: »

That’s why I like the idea of Matt Smith doing it. He’s the only actor I could imagine pulling off a modern day Roger Moore style Bond. He’s got the insane amount of charm you need to make the audience go along with the camp outlandish stuff. And he’s a brilliant actor with physical presence to boot. He’d be a very different sort of Bond but I think that’s probably what we need.