Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

He's good looking if nothing else.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I watched the new Death on the Nile the other night. Tom Bateman gets a bigger role in this one, and he's not bad at all. I'm not sure I can see him as Bond, though - he's a big, handsome guy, and you wouldn't want to have to fight him, but he comes across as a slightly dim rugby player rather than the cold, calculating assassin Bond sometimes has to be.

I agree; I saw Death on the Nile after several people here had mentioned Bateman as a possible Bond. I don’t see it at all.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Bateman is a good actor, but he's not laconic or subtle.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I think he's worth an audition though. He could surprise us. Sometimes an actor is not perceived in a specific role because he hasn't been tested.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Ludovico wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I think he's worth an audition though. He could surprise us. Sometimes an actor is not perceived in a specific role because he hasn't been tested.

Yeah, you're right. It's possible.
    Will “Argylle” put to rest any chances of Henry Cavill being cast as Bond , or will it be his ultimate audition?

Some time ago I was very high on him, but eventually that enthusiasm cooled as I came to see him as a very flat, one dimensional actor.

https://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-argylle-bond-man-steel-2-matthew-vaughn/
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Okay so I just watched the first episode Slow Horses which was amazing (and look Elliot Carver's in it) and in many ways I think could be the blueprint for Bond 26 but also Jack Lowden really impressed me. I'd never heard of him before but for me he really does look like Bond, he's Scottish and he's 31. But the fact is I have no imagination and him playing an MI5 agent might be too similar to then play the most famous MI6 one, plus having two blond Bonds in a row might be pushing it.

slow-horses-jonathan-pryce.jpg
    Lowden is high on my list.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just finished Slow Horses 1 too and to be honest I was a little less taken with Lowden in it, but he is decent.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Now as a part of April Fool's Day, the producers will announce the next Bond only to be turned out as a joke!

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/tu0wry/now_that_tom_hardy_was_announced_as_james_bond/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »
    Lowden is high on my list.

What about Highden? Pretty low, huh?
    Okay so I just watched the first episode Slow Horses which was amazing (and look Elliot Carver's in it) and in many ways I think could be the blueprint for Bond 26 but also Jack Lowden really impressed me. I'd never heard of him before but for me he really does look like Bond, he's Scottish and he's 31. But the fact is I have no imagination and him playing an MI5 agent might be too similar to then play the most famous MI6 one, plus having two blond Bonds in a row might be pushing it.

Based on this pic alone I can't really see it, bit maybe he can mature into the role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Based on this pic alone I can't really see it, bit maybe he can mature into the role.

Perhaps without the glasses?

Perhaps without the glasses?

😅

This is a better shot.

oSHS5oF.jpg

This is a better shot.

oSHS5oF.jpg

He's handsome, how old is he?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    MI6HQ wrote: »

This is a better shot.

oSHS5oF.jpg

He'll be 32 in June.
    https://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

IMDb is an excellent resource for such information ;)
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,391
    Benny wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »

This is a better shot.

oSHS5oF.jpg

He'll be 32 in June.
    https://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

IMDb is an excellent resource for such information ;)

Thanks! @Benny 👍 Included him in my "next bond actors list". He has the potential.
    That's ginger. Not strawberry blonde.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Maybe I should shift this to the „where does Bond go“ thread, but in what way is Slow Horses a possible blueprint for Bond 26? All I’ve heard so far is that it’s about a group of failed MI5 officers. Not very Bondy on the face of it? I plan on watching it, so please no heavy spoilers (or at least not without a tag), thanks!
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Yeah I'll be honest I don't what I was talking about there, that was a bit hyperbolic wasn't it? 😅 Having slept on it I think it's a really solid show, it's not remarkable but what it does it's doing very well. James Hawes is very workmanlike director but the Apple gloss gives it a certain sense of style and I'll admit I've been a fan of Will Smith's since The Thick of It but I think he infuses the script with wit and the spy craft elements are intriguing enough. That's what I think I meant, I don't think Bond 26 needs to necessarily reinvent the wheel.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,961
    Yeah I'll be honest I don't what I was talking about there, that was a bit hyperbolic wasn't it? 😅 Having slept on it I think it's a really solid show, it's not remarkable but what it does it's doing very well. James Hawes is very workmanlike director but the Apple gloss gives it a certain sense of style and I'll admit I've been a fan of Will Smith's since The Thick of It but I think he infuses the script with wit and the spy craft elements are intriguing enough. That's what I think I meant, I don't think Bond 26 needs to necessarily reinvent the wheel.

Yes I was hoping for something which felt a bit more unique I must admit, I think your description of Hawes is spot on. I will certainly keep watching and it is very decent though.

This is a better shot.

oSHS5oF.jpg

I'm not convinced yet, but with shorter hair and in character he might actually work. Worth an audition.
  • The bigger the head the bigger the star.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RW8FTT_w0Gg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The bigger the head the bigger the star.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RW8FTT_w0Gg

Haha I just watched that the other day

I wonder how many people Eon will screentest? Didn't they screen 8 or 10 in 2005?
    That’s too funny; many years ago movie reviewers Siskel and Ebert were discussing Clint Eastwood and they mentioned the large head theory . They pointed out how large of a noggin Clint has.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    I think natural suavity, poise and intensity are very important parameters in a performance and were mastered by the previous actors (bar Lazenby) even before their castings. What made Craig so brilliant was that he was able to add an emotional layer on top of all those qualities without losing grasp of them (as well as having a big head of course).

I think many of the non a-list contenders come off as very stilted in their most comparable roles. And some of the English ones are too debonair, even in comparison to Roger Moore.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,928
    So we should bet on whichever of the potentials was nicknamed 'Turnip Head' at school, right?
  • I'll take a crack at the voting:

Tom Holland vs Richard Madden
    Ben Barnes vs Andrew Garfield
    Benedict Cumberbatch vs Tom Hiddleston
    Tom Hardy vs Henry Cavill
    Dominic Cooper vs Aidan Turner
    Callum Turner vs Jack O'Connell
    Nicholas Hoult vs Tom Hughes
    Cillian Murphy vs Michael Fassbender
    James Norton vs Sam Claflin
    Michael Ward vs John Boyega
    Theo James vs Toby Kebell
    Luke Evans vs Orlando Bloom
    Jason Statham vs Mark Strong
    Alex Pettyfer vs Robert Pattinson
    Daryl McCormack vs Regé-Jeane Page
    Jack Bannon vs Harry Styles
    Luke Bracey vs Sam Worthington
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 784
    Idris feels he is too old for Bond, I myself still think he has two quick ones in him before age rules him out.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/idris-elba-feels-hes-too-180000281.html

The article also suggests Kingsley Ben-Adir.