Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,928
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    I don't think Amazon will allow for a huge lag time between films from this point on as well as other input. Definitely a new era of Bond going forward from here. I wonder if Barbara will eventually step down from Bond in order to concentrate of Craig's career on Broadway and other film projects?

She’s clearly more interested in Craig and his career than Bond.I think you may be right.

Because she AND MGW are producing one of his plays? 🙄

It’s not how they run EON.

But it seems you have a firm grasp on what’s clear and what’s not, I’m waiting for AstonLotus Film Inc….

There may be some truth in what he said though. It does leave an impression that she adores Craig more than Bond itself..

It doesn’t to me; it just suggests they’re a successful professional partnership.She’s not some sort of an infatuated schoolgirl, she’s a very successful professional, and she’s been working on the Bond films way longer than her father ever did.

MGW's general response to all the Bond actors is far more measured and professional, as was Cubby's.

Let's see how she is with the next actor.

In what way is she not professional? And how is it that Wilson is more professional when he’s also a producer on the exact same play?
    I don’t think producing West End and Broadway plays is exactly a hobby.

Edit: I see Peter made the same point, I beg your pardon Peter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It’s fine @mtm 😂. There’s an uncomfortable and nauseating undercurrent of misogyny where Barbara Broccoli is seen as this blinded-with-infatuation ditz, while MGW is “more measured”.

When in realty Broccoli has been the co-leading force that had kept her father’s legacy not only “just” surviving, but the legacy is thriving! And part of this is because she did have the balls to cast against type and went for Craig.

To make films the size of Bond, and being a family run and independent film company (without the teams of writers and producers as Marvel have on the pay roll), it boggles my mind that 007 competes very well against the titans in commercial/mainstream films of today!

But as the old saying goes: haters gonna hate.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,921
    Ok, BB is/was heavily invested in Dan as Bond - he was her personal choice for the role for a long time before CR, after all. But that doesn't equate to a schoolgirl crush, same as MGW's apparently measured approach doesn't equate to hands-off indifference. As evidenced by what people like Eva Green have said about her, I like Barbara Broccoli's attitude and approach to it all - I genuinely can't imagine anyone else in her position playing such an apparently benevolent, inclusive and supportive role in films of this scale. Not trying to simp here, but I'd say the films are better for BB being the sort of person she is.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I've always considered Bond extremely lucky to have the producers that it has, especially when you consider the mismanagement of other franchises throughout the years.
    All I can say at this point is that I am very glad that Eon has said that the Craig era was a series unto itself and not a part of the previous films so that they can move forward with Bond and his world with a fresh start. Bond is dead, long live Bond.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2022 Posts: 650
    I don't see what's inappropriate about criticizing BB's attitude towards Craig. If we can criticize directors and writers, why not the producers? Ultimately the former can only do what the latter want. It's obvious that Broccoli has an affection for Craig. She's said that she can't imagine the series without him.

"Speaking on the Being James Bond documentary (which is free on iTunes should you want to relive Craig’s tenure in his own words), Broccoli said, "Daniel has taken the character, the series, the whole thing to a place that is so extraordinary, so emotionally satisfying that I cannot imagine Bond after Daniel."

https://www.gamesradar.com/james-bond-producer-cannot-imagine-the-character-after-daniel-craig/

I mean, it's kind of a silly thing to say about the sixth actor to play Bond. I think because Craig was the first actor she got to pick (Brosnan was Cubby's, right?) she might have put him on a pedestal and allowed him too much creative control that ultimately became detrimental to the series as a whole.

Nobody's saying she's a bad person or anything, it's just about the decisions she's made, or allowed Craig to make. If an actor had said that his price to coming back to Bond was killing the character, Cubby would have told him to F off.

BTW I only hate the second half of the Craig era, the last decade, which I consider to be absolute cringe.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,394
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I don't see what's inappropriate about criticizing BB's attitude towards Craig. If we can criticize directors and writers, why not the producers? Ultimately the former can only do what the latter want. It's obvious that Broccoli has an affection for Craig. She's said that she can't imagine the series without him.

"Speaking on the Being James Bond documentary (which is free on iTunes should you want to relive Craig’s tenure in his own words), Broccoli said, "Daniel has taken the character, the series, the whole thing to a place that is so extraordinary, so emotionally satisfying that I cannot imagine Bond after Daniel."

https://www.gamesradar.com/james-bond-producer-cannot-imagine-the-character-after-daniel-craig/

I mean, it's kind of a silly thing to say about the sixth actor to play Bond. I think because Craig was the first actor she got to pick (Brosnan was Cubby's, right?) she might have put him on a pedestal and allowed him too much creative control that ultimately became detrimental to the series as a whole.

Nobody's saying she's a bad person or anything, it's just about the decisions she's made, or allowed Craig to make. If an actor had said that his price to coming back to Bond was killing the character, Cubby would have told him to F off.

BTW I only hate the second half of the Craig era, the last decade, which I consider to be absolute cringe.

Yeah,that’s pretty much what I was getting at.Her comments over the years come across like she’s absolutely in love with the guy ( fair enough she’s entitled to her feelings ) but saying that she “ cannot imagine Bond after Daniel? “ I wonder how the next actor who takes on 007 will feel about that.MGW seems to be a lot more professional in interviews.

And yeah, I don’t think Cubby would have delayed the production of a Bond film for so long and let them dictate their price to come back as killing the character off.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't see what's inappropriate about criticizing BB's attitude towards Craig. If we can criticize directors and writers, why not the producers?

No one has said they can’t be criticised, but calling them unprofessional is clearly way off the mark. They made films which scored billions at the box office, no one is being unprofessional.
    Praising and hyping your star is not unprofessional. Cubby, don’t forget, ended his run with Sean with the two of them basically in a feud. Is that more professional?
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2022 Posts: 650
    I don't see what's inappropriate about criticizing BB's attitude towards Craig. If we can criticize directors and writers, why not the producers?

No one has said they can’t be criticised, but calling them unprofessional is clearly way off the mark. They made films which scored billions at the box office, no one is being unprofessional.
    Praising and hyping your star is not unprofessional. Cubby, don’t forget, ended his run with Sean with the two of them basically in a feud. Is that more professional?

Well, BB and MGW fired Brosnan over a phone call. I'd say that's pretty unprofessional, not to mention cold.
  • I’ll just pop in and say that perhaps EON (not putting this down to just Barbara Broccoli) have done a lot to keep Daniel happy, and I’ll say that perhaps that has resulted in creative decisions that I wasn’t a fan of, but to say Broccoli has a schoolgirl crush on Craig? Does that mean Cubby had a schoolboy crush on Roger Moore due to how long he stuck around? I think suggesting that is a bit too far, even coming from somebody who isn’t a huge fan on the creative decisions the Craig era made.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well, BB and MGW fired Brosnan over a phone call. I'd say that's pretty unprofessional, not to mention cold.

I don’t see what’s unprofessional about that; it’s how business is done. Sometimes you have to let people go (technically in his case it was a matter of not rehiring him rather than firing). I’ve certainly never seen Brosnan call it unprofessional, and it’s more his business than ours.
    As far as we know it was all done amicably, reportedly both sides thanked each other and that was that. It was them doing it directly on the call, not some intermediary: far from being ‘cold’, they did it personally. Much more professional than feuding with your star and ending up not talking to each other.
    And anyway, I thought we were saying Wilson is the professional one? But now we’re not?
    I’ll just pop in and say that perhaps EON (not putting this down to just Barbara Broccoli) have done a lot to keep Daniel happy, and I’ll say that perhaps that has resulted in creative decisions that I wasn’t a fan of, but to say Broccoli has a schoolgirl crush on Craig? Does that mean Cubby had a schoolboy crush on Roger Moore due to how long he stuck around? I think suggesting that is a bit too far, even coming from somebody who isn’t a huge fan on the creative decisions the Craig era made.

C Broccoli was trying to win back money he'd lost to R Moore playing games - backgammon ? - between takes...
  • Since62 wrote: »
    I’ll just pop in and say that perhaps EON (not putting this down to just Barbara Broccoli) have done a lot to keep Daniel happy, and I’ll say that perhaps that has resulted in creative decisions that I wasn’t a fan of, but to say Broccoli has a schoolgirl crush on Craig? Does that mean Cubby had a schoolboy crush on Roger Moore due to how long he stuck around? I think suggesting that is a bit too far, even coming from somebody who isn’t a huge fan on the creative decisions the Craig era made.

C Broccoli was trying to win back money he'd lost to R Moore playing games - backgammon ? - between takes...

Ha! That’s a perfect reason to give for that :))
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 3,279
    peter wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous notion; Barbara Broccoli has been boiled down to not being the professional she is, but an infatuated school girl.

A poster above says MGW is far more measured when dealing with the actors, yet he is ALSO one of the producers on MacBeth.

Just absolute silliness and shows these posters are way off the mark (tainted by the dislike they had for this era, no doubt. Hate the five films, fine. But trying to assess a flesh and blood human being as some love struck fool is showing a lack of nuance (a producer can respect and continue to work with a highly talented individual to create more art/business, and not be some sexed up air head- shocking, I know!)).

It's not anything to do with producing the play. It's to do with the general fawning comments over the years, something which Wilson avoided, and kept it more level and measured, the same way he spoke of Brosnan, Dalton, etc.

I also think this fawning to get Craig back at any cost went some way in explaining the very poor decisions that were made for NTTD.

And no, I don't hate the five films Craig was in. CR is still in my all time top 5, which shows you are way off the mark in your opinion what I think of the Craig era.

I see I'm wasting my time here with this opinion, because not many agree with it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would say it’s very much part of the producer’s professional role to hype up the movie and its star when interviewed.
    I would say it’s very much part of the producer’s professional role to hype up the movie and its star when interviewed.

Absolutely. Watch Cubby and Wilson in action. That's how you do it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the idea that there’s a way not to do it -as long as you’re not actually failing and making the film seem bad- to be utterly bizarre.

And actually I often found Cubby to seem pretty insincere in hyping interviews, like the stereotypical Hollywood conman who’d obviously say this is the biggest one ever, you’ve never seen anything like this. Not very convincing at all.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,394

Yeah that was pretty lousy.Especially since he’d already agreed to a fifth film.If the producers changed their minds fair enough but the way they did it.

As for Cubby keeping Moore on for so long,Cubby had pretty much replaced Moore with Josh Brolin before filming on Octopussy began.But then the announcement came that Connery was going to star in NSNA which made Cubby hesitant to compete with him with an untried Bond,so he went back to Roger.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 2022 Posts: 559
    I agree it's not ideal, but it may have just been the only way. If I recall correctly, he was shooting After the Sunset in The Bahamas at the time and it probably wasn't convenient for one of them to fly all the way out there just to tell him he's out, and they may have felt it was their responsibility to let him know as soon as possible so he wouldn't have to keep turning down job offers for the duration of filming, only to be told a few months later that they didn't want him back.
    I agree it's not ideal, but it may have just been the only way. If I recall correctly, he was shooting After the Sunset in The Bahamas at the time and it probably wasn't convenient for one of them to fly all the way out there just to tell him he's out, and they may have felt it was their responsibility to let him know as soon as possible so he wouldn't have to keep turning down job offers for the duration of filming, only to be told a few months later that they didn't want him back.

Yeah you’re probably right.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I don’t really see the problem. He was in the Bahamas, they were in maybe LA, possibly more likely London… I wouldn’t expect them to fly there just for the result of a decision; especially when we all expect them to be getting on with making the movie we want to see. Also if they’d have done that it also possibly suggests they’re willing to have a conversation about it, but the reality was their minds were made up.
    They made the call personally, it wasn’t done through agents or third parties… I’m not sure what people want.

Yeah I don’t really see the problem. He was in the Bahamas, they were in maybe LA, possibly more likely London… I wouldn’t expect them to fly there just for the result of a decision; especially when we all expect them to be getting on with making the movie we want to see. Also if they’d have done that it also possibly suggests they’re willing to have a conversation about it, but the reality was their minds were made up.
    They made the call personally, it wasn’t done through agents or third parties… I’m not sure what people want.
    Craig was Babs Bond, and there is no way she would have let Craig go over a phone call. She didn't stick her neck out on the line for Brosnan in the same way she did for Craig, desperate to keep him on for just one more at any cost.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Craig was Babs Bond, and there is no way she would have let Craig go over a phone call.

You have zero proof of that though, it’s an entirely imagined scenario.
    She hired him with a phone call, after all.
    She didn't stick her neck out on the line for Brosnan in the same way she did for Craig, desperate to keep him on for just one more at any cost.

‘At any cost’? Slightly hyperbolic there.
    And yes, they decided to do something different with CR, that’s all very well-documented, and their decision was more than vindicated as we all know.
    We can look at how Cubby was desperate to keep Roger on ‘at any cost’ though, and how the series became a mild laughing stock because of his advanced age. Or how he was desperate to get Connery back, quite literally 'at any cost' i.e $1million.

Craig was Babs Bond, and there is no way she would have let Craig go over a phone call. She didn't stick her neck out on the line for Brosnan in the same way she did for Craig, desperate to keep him on for just one more at any cost.

Yep.If Brosnan told Babs that he wanted to be killed off in his fifth Bond,I think she would have told him there was no way that was going to happen.

• edited March 2022 Posts: 3,279

Craig was Babs Bond, and there is no way she would have let Craig go over a phone call.

She didn't stick her neck out on the line for Brosnan in the same way she did for Craig, desperate to keep him on for just one more at any cost.

And yes, they decided to do something different with CR, that’s all very well-documented, and their decision was more than vindicated as we all know.
    We can look at how Cubby was desperate to keep Roger on ‘at any cost’ though, and how the series became a mild laughing stock because of his advanced age.

No proof, just an opinion based on years of commentary from Babs. And bringing him back for one more on the proviso that Bond is killed off, Craig has already stated this now as his desire, and willing to return one last time if they did this, so `at any cost' isn't hyperbolic at all. Expressing a desire to come back to kill off the main character of Bond, what else would deem a higher cost than that?

All previous actors would have been shown the door if they had told Cubby this was their condition to come back.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

We can look at how Cubby was desperate to keep Roger on ‘at any cost’ though, and how the series became a mild laughing stock because of his advanced age.

No proof, just an opinion based on years of commentary from Babs. And bringing him back for one more on the proviso that Bond is killed off, Craig has already stated this now as his desire, and willing to return one last time if they did this, so `at any cost' isn't hyperbolic at all. Expressing a desire to come back to kill off the main character of Bond, what else would deem a higher cost than that?

$1million in 1971? That's a pretty high cost. To hire a lead actor for the same amount as the budget of your entire first movie, only nine years before. That certainly snacks of desperation and fawning if this does.

As for the killing off, it's clear they agreed with that, it's not as if they were held to ransom. From the years Craig was Bond it's obvious that their creative impulses aligned: they picked him, after all. It's much like the hiring of Sam Mendes: Craig's idea but I doubt he exactly had to twist their arms much to hire such a top director. So yes, pretty hyperbolic.
    Maybe he did hold them to ransom like Connery did to Cubby, and insist on them doing something they didn't want to, I don't know. But there's absolutely no evidence of that at all, and a fair amount to the contrary.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    But her doing something that Cubby wouldn’t have, doesn’t make her a bad producer? And her sticking to her guns regarding a James Bond who was extremely popular, and wanting to finish his arc, which no Bond has had before, doesn’t make her a bad producer either? I don’t really understand the criticism but it seems to just stem from some choices that aren’t to your own taste which is fine but to question someone who helped give us the most beloved and successful James Bond since Sean Connery, alongside some of the most successful films in the franchise, seems kind of unjustified and more personal than anything else, especially since we’re seemingly just targeting Barbara and talking as if Michael was some kind of professional saint when he had just as much a hand in the whole process, especially since none of us are concretely aware of anything the two of them decided beyond the obvious. If you’re gonna complain about the direction of this era, at least be consistent in who you’re talking about. Craig might have been Barbara’s choice and she may have wanted to keep him for as long as possible, but given the amount of success he had in the role, despite the bumps in the road, do you really think they were wrong to keep him for so long? Even if you didn’t personally like how his arc ended?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

They should have given him a few drinks, then Barbara should have held his hand while Michael stood standby with a handkerchief.
    All previous actors would have been shown the door if they had told Cubby this was their condition to come back.

I'm quite happy to be the lonely voice on here that sees a lot of sense in the above. I was also on board with the Craig era, especially after CR, but he's got to take some of the blame for the car-crash that was the second half of NTTD.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

They should have given him a few drinks, then Barbara should have held his hand while Michael stood standby with a handkerchief.

But who had the smelling salts? :)