Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    When Bond 26 then comes in, with a new, younger actor, there would be no questions asked by pretty much anybody, as this is no different to an ageing Moore in 1985, and then a younger Dalton in 1987, who we assume shares the same timeline.

I think audience tastes have changed so much, even since Daniel was cast, that questions would probably still be asked as they are of every major part that has been recast in the last 15 years. I don't think EON are doing anything but reacting to those changing winds, which is understandable. We won't get the luxury of that floating timeline anymore I feel - every Bond will be explicitly different in interpretation and have their own arc. Some you/I/we will like, some less so.

I think this is just how it will be.

Very much agree @CraigMooreOHMSS .... I see no other way for EoN. I also think it will give them more creative choices without a rigid compliance to template/formula.
    peter wrote: »
    When Bond 26 then comes in, with a new, younger actor, there would be no questions asked by pretty much anybody, as this is no different to an ageing Moore in 1985, and then a younger Dalton in 1987, who we assume shares the same timeline.

I think audience tastes have changed so much, even since Daniel was cast, that questions would probably still be asked as they are of every major part that has been recast in the last 15 years. I don't think EON are doing anything but reacting to those changing winds, which is understandable. We won't get the luxury of that floating timeline anymore I feel - every Bond will be explicitly different in interpretation and have their own arc. Some you/I/we will like, some less so.

I think this is just how it will be.

Very much agree @CraigMooreOHMSS .... I see no other way for EoN. I also think it will give them more creative choices without a rigid compliance to template/formula.

I think so too..I hope they don't go with by-the-number formula and keep taking risks.
    The timeline is such a mess, just make it easy. John Doe arrives for duty. Proves himself worthy. He's assigned the number 007 and given the name James Bond. Five minutes after the film starts, audiences won't care he used to be John Doe. He's now James Bond and from that point on the producers can keep the timeline straight through successive actors.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Code-name route, huh? Hmm...nah.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Venutius wrote: »
    Code-name route, huh? Hmm...nah.

Exactly. . .
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think the next era won't have,
    Bond being a womaniser (that is in the past along with Bond smoking sadly)

A Fluid timeline (I doubt it will relate to Craig or the other 5 Bond's, hopefully it's better planned than the Craig arc)

No mention of Vesper (I think you've got more chance of Bond meeting another Tracy than another Vesper in the next era. HopefullyGala Brand will be a love interest)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The timeline is such a mess, just make it easy. John Doe arrives for duty. Proves himself worthy. He's assigned the number 007 and given the name James Bond. Five minutes after the film starts, audiences won't care he used to be John Doe. He's now James Bond and from that point on the producers can keep the timeline straight through successive actors.

I have to say I'd hate that. The codename theory.
    It's never bothered me that each Bond is the same guy. Has loose continuity from Connery to Brosnan. Bond has always been James Bond. It's not a codename, it's never been. Fleming never mentioned it. Thus, it's not cannon and a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
    At the end of the day, the audience don't care. Fans care, but the general public do not.
    I've never heard anyone call out Connery in YOLT, when he tells Henderson he's never been to Japan before. Yet in FRWL, he comments about a time when he was with M in Tokyo.
    Or in OHMSS when Bond and Blofeld come face to face...again. Surely he would recognise Bond from their meeting in YOLT and the hollowed volcano lair.
    Or the fact that Daltons Bond in LTK was married once, but that was a long time ago. Meaning Dalton would've been in his early 20's at the time. Not inconceivable, but doesn't really add up. My point is, Bond has always been the same character, even if he does get an update with each successive actor. The general audience will go along with it, and accept it. It's just us fans that will be a little nit picky and dissect it.
    But there's nothing wrong with that at the end of the day. Afterall, we put a lot of time into the series we love. Sometimes though, I think we have to give Bond some artistic licence and a little leeway.
    I believe Bond will be a womanizer, it’s an Integral part of the character, but it will be abundantly clear that the women are absolutely consenting participants. It will be more Brosnan than Connery or Moore.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,956
    talos7 wrote: »
    I believe Bond will be a womanizer, it’s an Integral part of the character, but it will be abundantly clear that the women are absolutely consenting participants. It will be more Brosnan than Connery or Moore.

Yeah I think he'll be a lot less creepy about it from now on, but I don't think we'll especially notice. He's way less creepy in NTTD than he was in Skyfall even (he's stopped hitting on his colleagues for example), but he still felt like Bond.
    I actually felt it was quite refreshing when he didn't try on it on with Paloma.
    Benny wrote: »
    It's never bothered me that each Bond is the same guy. Has loose continuity from Connery to Brosnan. Bond has always been James Bond. It's not a codename, it's never been. Fleming never mentioned it. Thus, it's not cannon and a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
    At the end of the day, the audience don't care. Fans care, but the general public do not.
    I've never heard anyone call out Connery in YOLT, when he tells Henderson he's never been to Japan before. Yet in FRWL, he comments about a time when he was with M in Tokyo.

Yeah I've never even been hugely sure if I believe some of the films exist in a continuity or not. Does the Bond in Octopussy remember killing Mr Big? Does the guy throwing the ATAC off St. Cyrils remember punching Jaws in his metal groin? I'm not sure he does really, they're just adventures. Roger's Bond could have been rebooted with each of his three directors and we wouldn't know.
    From now on I'm sure they will have continuity, and I quite like that too. It's how sequels should work after all- it would be odd if Riggs & Murtaugh weren't acting as if the earlier films had happened.
    My friend was telling me about how he took his son to see NTTD as his first Bond though, and I did kind of wonder if it's the film which is likely to get you hooked on Bond or not, I'm not sure it would. Hopefully the next one will.
    mtm wrote: »
    I actually felt it was quite refreshing when he didn't try on it on with Paloma.

But, under different circumstances, would have with no hesitation 😉

I fear Bond won’t be much of a womanizer anymore thanks to modern sensitivity.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I think he still will be, but women will be more assertive. Think more Solange and less Solitaire.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think he still will be, but women will be more assertive. Think more Solange and less Solitaire.

We’ll see. To me, even though I can let it slide since it’s part of the love plot, NTTD made it look like the series is transitioning to “fit the times,” with no casual sex or sexy women in the title credits. They already took away Bond’s smoking, so taking away his sexual lust isn’t at all a far fetched idea, especially since in the eyes of many he’s evil and misogynistic just for having casual consensual encounters.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kleinman hasn't put any dancing women in the credits since 2002.
    Bond hasn't stopped having consensual encounters: that's what he thought he was getting with Nomi in Jamaica. For the rest of the film he's in a relationship with Madeline so it would be at odds to the story being told if he went around shagging anyone he saw.
    mtm wrote: »
    Kleinman hasn't put any dancing women in the credits since 2002.
    Bond hasn't stopped having consensual encounters: that's what he thought he was getting with Nomi in Jamaica. For the rest of the film he's in a relationship with Madeline so it would be at odds to the story being told if he went around shagging anyone he saw.

A) “Dancing” isn’t specifically what I referred to. Just the women silhouette styles there the last three films before NTTD.
    B) I acknowledged the NTTD story.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, sorry I'm mistaken- there actually are dancing ladies in the Spectre titles. I think they can be effective without them though: the CR titles are often cited as among the very best and those are a total sausage fest.

I think if there's a lack of evidence then there's no reason to think he'll stop being a womaniser.
    Once again, we’ll see. Bond had a “true love” twice in the last era, far less sex than the previous Bonds save Dalton. Just don’t be surprised if it’s the next characteristic of the series knocked off to “evolve.” At any rate it would be nice if certain factions got equally offended over Bond’s casual killing as his casual sex :P nah, who am I kidding, violence and death isn’t near as bad as sex and anatomy x) the double standards are what bothers me more than anything. And just how triggered certain people get over fictional icons.
    I expect the next era to avoid “ true love” , at least until the later part of the actor’s run.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    And children!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Once again, we’ll see. Bond had a “true love” twice in the last era

You Only Love Twice.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    I expect the next era to avoid “ true love” , at least until the later part of the actor’s run.

Yes it seems likely, doesn't it? It is hard to think of anything which hasn't been done at this point: as per usual I find myself not envying the choices Eon have to make.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Once again, we’ll see. Bond had a “true love” twice in the last era

You Only Love Twice.

How I wish it were true.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    EON should look at TLD, GE & CR...take inspiration from them and introduce Bond 7 & Bond 26.

This!

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    EON should look at TLD, GE & CR...take inspiration from them and introduce Bond 7 & Bond 26.

If they take the best bits of all three of these, we'd have a top tier Bond entry on our hands
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Jordo007 wrote: »

If they take the best bits of all three of these, we'd have a top tier Bond entry on our hands

Very true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I'm not sure the plot would make much sense though :P
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 14,830

We’ll see. To me, even though I can let it slide since it’s part of the love plot, NTTD made it look like the series is transitioning to “fit the times,” with no casual sex or sexy women in the title credits. They already took away Bond’s smoking, so taking away his sexual lust isn’t at all a far fetched idea, especially since in the eyes of many he’s evil and misogynistic just for having casual consensual encounters.

Smoking is no longer seen glamorous and hasn't been for a long time though. Except maybe cigars. Maybe. Which is why they make an appearance in NTTD, albeit Bond doesn't smoke one. Seduction, providing it's not done in a sleazy or creepy manner, is still seen as sexy and part of an hedonistic living. There's a very good reason why it was seriously toned down in NTTD: it would have cheapened the relationship between Bond, Madeleine and Mathilde. Otherwise, when Bond is single in Jamaica and unaware of the existence of his daughter, he seems as womanising as he was before his relationship with Madeleine. Or at least he seems eager to sleep with Nomi.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I don’t know if I would say he is eager. This is very much up for interpretation, but to me it seemed a bit more like him trying on an old suit and it not fitting exactly (let alone the suit not actually being interested in him at all). He goes through the moves he would do when actually picking someone up, but to me he is always at a remove and seemingly thinking „Are we actually doing this? I guess we are.“
    To me, the scene reads like he hasn’t done this in quite some time and is more going along with it than actually instigating anything.
    Agreed on all points. Good calls, Ludovico.