NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    I hated Leiters death in NTTD.Twelve years since we hasn’t seen Jeffrey Wright in the role and they brought him back for that?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I hated Leiters death in NTTD.Twelve years since we hasn’t seen Jeffrey Wright in the role and they brought him back for that?

Well they couldn't really have him continue into the next actor's tenure. I know there was a 19-year age gap between Dalton and David Hedison but I think the characters work better when they're a similar age. Plus the next film will be a reboot so they might as well do a bit of a clear out.
    Contraband wrote: »

Love their channel, glad to see them compile a little Bond video!
    It’s finally here! 😃

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    One thing I thought on my last viewing of NTTD recently, was the action feels like it's over too quickly. We're never given time to really take it in before it's over and we're on to tying up the next loose thread
    The action is so exciting in NTTD but I just feel slightly detached from it because it's over before it's begun
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    One thing I thought on my last viewing of NTTD recently, was the action feels like it's over too quickly. We're never given time to really take it in before it's over and we're on to tying up the next loose thread
    The action is so exciting in NTTD but I just feel slightly detached from it because it's over before it's begun

One of my issues with the film, particularly when compared to the long runtime. A lot of these action sequences and setpieces needed another few minutes, like the Ash fight or the sequence in the woods in Norway. For how much they sold that entire chase in the marketing, I felt like most of it was shown in trailers (including the Ash reveal) and left a lot to be desired.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

One of my issues with the film, particularly when compared to the long runtime. A lot of these action sequences and setpieces needed another few minutes, like the Ash fight or the sequence in the woods in Norway. For how much they sold that entire chase in the marketing, I felt like most of it was shown in trailers (including the Ash reveal) and left a lot to be desired.

That second part is really it for me. I just watched the trailers too often and spent too much time thinking about what other awesome things could top the stuff we saw in the trailers and then there just wasn't all that much more in some of the sequences. As awesome as the Norway slope jump was in the trailer, I think it would have been way cooler seeing it in the film for the first time and it would have upgraded the entire sequence in my eyes, because that and the two instances of cars flipping (which also were both in trailers) are really the big beats in that sequence and we'd seen them before.
    Compare that to Cuba and the stairwell fight, of which we - I think - didn't see that much apart from Paloma kicking dudes and the granades dropping down the stairwell and those worked way better for me.

I said that right at the start after my first viewing, and it probably sullied my view of the action sequences, and like @Creasy47 said, most of the highpoints were shown in the trailers! But I've got over that, and I now love the action set pieces, brief and all that they are!
    It certainly lends more justification to avoiding the trailers before seeing the film, something I set out to do with NTTD but the constant delays had me caving pretty quickly.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I said that right at the start after my first viewing, and it probably sullied my view of the action sequences, and like @Creasy47 said, most of the highpoints were shown in the trailers! But I've got over that, and I now love the action set pieces, brief and all that they are!

Absolutely mate. Completely agree with you and @Creasy47 I love the action sequences, they're tense and exciting, I just wish they lasted longer.

I'd say I'd seen the trailers too much but I only saw the initial trailer a handful of times, purposely so I didn't feel overly familiar

Absolutely mate. Completely agree with you and @Creasy47 I love the action sequences, they're tense and exciting, I just wish they lasted longer.

I'd say I'd seen the trailers too much but I only saw the initial trailer a handful of times, purposely so I didn't feel overly familiar

The one shot I wished I hadn't seen was in the woods, when Ash drives at Bond and flips over! It was a cool moment, bit ruined since I knew it was coming!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

The one shot I wished I hadn't seen was in the woods, when Ash drives at Bond and flips over! It was a cool moment, bit ruined since I knew it was coming!

That's why I gave the first trailer one watch and then avoided all the others. So it was a long gap between the trailer and seeing the film.

So glad I did. Most of the film was a surprise to me.

That's why I gave the first trailer one watch and then avoided all the others. So it was a long gap between the trailer and seeing the film.

So glad I did. Most of the film was a surprise to me.

You're stronger than I am. I'll definitely be doing that with the next one, definitely. Definitely. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully, anyway.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Next time I'm going to try to go in blind.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2022 Posts: 5,975
    There was a recent film--I think it was SF--that I knew too much about beforehand, and it impacted my enjoyment watching the film the first time. Even CR, because I obviously was spoiled by the novel, I enjoyed more on the second viewing than the first.

It makes me wonder what novel-reading Bond fans in the '60s thought, especially with YOLT: "This is...not what is in the novel!"

For NTTD, I watched all the trailers, but did not parse them obsessively. I'm here regularly but I tried not to click on the spoiler tags in the forum--of course there was the occasional halfwit who didn't use spoiler tags.

And then, since I am in the US, I stayed off the forum before the UK premiere until I saw the film.

That seemed to work. I was surprised by most of the big twists (except for Mathilde) and even mildly surprised by Bond's death (except to the extent it's foreshadowed in the film).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I'm actually the opposite to all this - I don't mind spoilers in the slightest. I pored over all the trailers many times, looking to glean anything I could from them, and none of it detracted from the film for me, tbh. If I know something's going to happen, I can still enjoy seeing how they get to that point. It's probably something to do with having no sense of adventure... ;)
    Calvin Dyson has just released a huge review of NTTD, it's great and I agree with nearly all of it. I prefer more realistic/gritty Bond rather than camp Bond, which Calvin prefers, but he's my favourite reviewer nevertheless and he makes several great points
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Calvin Dyson has just released a huge review of NTTD, it's great and I agree with nearly all of it. I prefer more realistic/gritty Bond rather than camp Bond, which Calvin prefers, but he's my favourite reviewer nevertheless and he makes several great points

When you said "huge review", I thought it was going to be 30-45 minutes. The video is 2:16 hours!! That's longer than most Bond films!

When you said "huge review", I thought it was going to be 30-45 minutes. The video is 2:16 hours!! That's longer than most Bond films!

Hahaha I know right. I've listened to it in two halves today driving to and from work, needless to say Calvin leaves no stone unturned

Listening to Calvin this afternoon made me think, I do wish we'd explored Bond having a child differently. The actress playing Mathilde was fantastic, but the child felt like a prop rather than a character or development to the plot.

Regardless of the intent, I think the "she's not yours" aspect of the script was somewhat misguided
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,161
    I mostly go along with @calvindyson on this one as well.

Yeah I watched that last night.Despite the length it’s a great review.He gives the film its due but suitably trashes it where it deserves it ( Safins unclear motivations,and Bonds death for example ).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I don't always go to the dentist, but when I do, I trust Philip Philmar's opinion.

This short is amusing, though I must warn you it's a bit gruesome. Not too bloody but it could make you wince.

edited March 2022 Posts: 564
    Calvin has really upped his standards in the last two years, not that they were ever low obviously, but he really is a joy to a listen to.

I will say I wasn't as averse to the idea of Bond dying as he and a lot of others seemed to be. The Craig era represents two bookends, the beginning and end of Bond's 00 career. So ending with Bond dying actually feels very appropriate to me and I certainly wouldn't change it if I was charged with rewriting it. I just can't see Bond growing old and living a languid existence until his vices get the better of him, as it did with Fleming. He's a man of action so him sacrificing himself and dying on a mission is exactly the way I always imagined the character (not just the Craig version) would meet his end.

That being said, I completely agree with his view that the moment is unearned and contrived, and the fact that Safin; one of the weakest villains in the entire series, is the one to achieve it just makes it feel especially hollow.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,925
    Although, Safin doesn't kill Bond, tbf. The nanobots won't kill him and he's not bleeding out from being shot - if Bond was already dying from the gunshot wounds, he wouldn't have asked Q how to get the nanobots off. Only when Q reiterates that he's stuck with them does Bond decide not to leave the island. And even then he climbs a 30-ft ladder! That's not a bloke on the brink of karking it. He could've escaped and he would've survived - but chose to sacrifice himself so that Madeleine and Mathilde would live. Bond beat Safin and thwarted his plans. I know that sounds a bit like special pleading, but...no! ;)
    edited March 2022 Posts: 564
    He's still the reason Bond chooses to remain on the island and he dies knowing he's destroyed Bond's chance of happiness with Madeleine and Mathilde. I didn't say he failed to stop Safin's plans. Whatever it was.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Although, Safin doesn't kill Bond, tbf. The nanobots won't kill him and he's not bleeding out from being shot - if Bond was already dying from the gunshot wounds, he wouldn't have asked Q how to get the nanobots off. Only when Q reiterates that he's stuck with them does Bond decide not to leave the island. And even then he climbs a 30-ft ladder! That's not a bloke on the brink of karking it. He could've escaped and he would've survived - but chose to sacrifice himself so that Madeleine and Mathilde would live. Bond beat Safin and thwarted his plans. I know that sounds a bit like special pleading, but...no! ;)

He was clearly bleeding out and dying from what looked like VERY fatal gunshot wounds.

edited March 2022 Posts: 2,161
    He sure looked hale and healthy, standing quite erect and firm as he waited for this missiles to descend. So, I doubt has was bleeding out.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He sure looked hale and healthy, standing quite erect and firm as he waited for this missiles to descend. So, I doubt has was bleeding out.

There are clear shots of him bleeding and one in particular of his blood dripping on the ground,he barely managed to climb the ladder to the top of the facility.He was dying.

That whole scene of him standing smiling waiting for the missiles in sacrifice after saving the world (and his family) was what they based the whole movie on. It was all written backwards from that one point.
    So the fatal gunshots did happen, but they couldn't get in the way of the final stance and smile. Bond there suffering and bleeding and bent over like a staple wasn't the death they wanted. But the bullets were needed to get to that point of no return I think.