The Cinematography of NTTD - Linus Sandgren

Comments

• fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    edited November 2021 Posts: 60
    I definitely think Linus will get an Oscar nomination for NTTD and I hope he wins. But after seeing the trailer for Nightmare Alley, I don’t think he stands a chance 😕

That movie does look incredible overall.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Oscar ad for No Time to Die in this month’s American Cinematographer

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Would certainly like to see him do more Bond films that's for sure! :-bd
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Those may be my favorite frames of the film.

KAuLkTI.jpeg

kN1fhK3.jpeg

4Q59nqE.jpeg

oUc4SLA.jpeg

sUp09Xr.jpeg

MklYTlZ.jpeg

oC9UfIx.jpg

rzjjS7c.jpeg

IKHFhhO.jpeg

UbCf3dq.jpeg

sdN2yVU.jpeg

NMz2ovG.jpeg

t6ty4NB.jpeg

V8n7YmV.jpeg

AKwZrKN.jpg

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @matt_u I have different understanding for the definition of "ten" ;)
    But these shots are wonderful and enough that I would love to watch NTTD again right now.
    @matt_u I have different understanding for the definition of "ten" ;)
    But these shots are wonderful and enough that I would love to watch NTTD again right now.

Lol well I wanted to put 10 but it seems I found it unconsciously impossible given the beauty of this work. I edited it to 15 and that's it.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Those may be my favorite frames of the film.

KAuLkTI.jpeg

kN1fhK3.jpeg

4Q59nqE.jpeg

oUc4SLA.jpeg

sUp09Xr.jpeg

MklYTlZ.jpeg

oC9UfIx.jpg

rzjjS7c.jpeg

IKHFhhO.jpeg

UbCf3dq.jpeg

sdN2yVU.jpeg

NMz2ovG.jpeg

t6ty4NB.jpeg

V8n7YmV.jpeg

AKwZrKN.jpg

God this movie looks IMPECCABLE. Stunning.
    After revisiting for the first time since theaters, I still don’t love it, but I’m comfortable calling NTTD the best looking of the Daniel Craig films.

Just scene after scene of beautifully composed shots and splendid lighting. Love Sandgren’s work and that insistence on sunset vibes.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @geno I would probably say it is in close second for me.

I watched Skyfall in 4k last night and, holy moly, Deakins really did do GOAT tier work on that.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    As much as I enjoyed a lot of NTTD's cinematography, I don't think anything will ever top Skyfall. The shot of Bond in silhouette running across the ice with his home in flames behind him will forever be iconic

Bond 26 will have a hard time matching Linus though
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    I agree, even tho I prefer the film better over digital. But Deakins is too good.
    One shot I'm pleased was in the film, was Bond stood on his deck looking out to sea.
    The colours and vibrancy in that shot are amazing, I'd love a poster of that
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Mallory wrote: »
    I watched Skyfall in 4k last night and, holy moly, Deakins really did do GOAT tier work on that.

No doubt. SF still looks fantastic.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Its a shame he probably won't ever come back to do another one.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Its a shame he probably won't ever come back to do another one.

Depending on director, it could even be likely he does another. If they want to go for guaranteed Oscar's buzz in most categories I bet they'll at least ask him, if the next director doesn't have someone already
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

No doubt. SF still looks fantastic.

For a movie that is so modern and sleek, it really is timeless. Hasn't aged a bit.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,877
    NTTD is a beautiful looking film, but I've heard a few people say that while the cinematography is polished it lacks 'depth' beyond how sleek it looks. I can see what they mean. It's great to look at but it's all very surface level. I think that's why people tend to place Deakins' work above Sandgren's for their respective Bond films. Skyfall's cinematography feels more purposeful - every camera movement, every focus pull, every lighting/shot choice is there to convey some sort of mood or feeling that goes hand in hand with the story. It's there fundamentally to draw the audience into the world of the film, not take them out of it by making them think, 'wow, that's a great shot'. Even in the above snaps of NTTD one can see that while Sandgren's compositions are excellent, his shots rely too much on looking 'beautiful' through lighting flares and silhouettes etc.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I think the opposite in terms of 'depth' or at least I should say 'colour depth'. Deakins' work has a sharp modern digital clinical clean look (with a more stylized high contrast look) - Sandgren's work has more old-school dreamy texture to it (a richer, softer look with more colour/dynamic range in the mid-tones). Both are different styles, but both are very well shot/lit. I think Deakin's framing is better and more precise/purposeful, but against that - Sangren's work feels more dynamic and kinetic/less stagey. Horses for courses...
    Satorious wrote: »
    I think the opposite in terms of 'depth' or at least I should say 'colour depth'. Deakins' work has a sharp modern digital clinical clean look (with a more stylized high contrast look) - Sandgren's work has more old-school dreamy texture to it (a richer, softer look with more colour/dynamic range in the mid-tones). Both are different styles, but both are very well shot/lit. I think Deakin's framing is better and more precise/purposeful, but against that - Sangren's work feels more dynamic and kinetic/less stagey. Horses for courses...

I know what you mean. I guess by 'depth' I'm not necessarily interested in colour/what format either film is using but referring to how their visual choices (so lighting, camera movement, compositions and all that) made me feel when watching these films. Again, I just find everything in SF draws me into the story, while in NTTD it often takes me out of it/isn't working in quite the same way. In truth I'm generally of the opinion that cinematography doesn't necessarily have to be 'beautiful' or overt, so I'd agree more with Deakins/likely appreciate his work more naturally.
    Satorious wrote: »

Yeah this is the thing about NTTD's aesthetic, Sandgren talks about it in the book and I *think* on one of the podcasts — he and Fukunaga chose to craft the film like an old 50s/60s Cinemascope epic. And it really works in evoking that feeling through the coloring and "goo" of it all. Quite unique compared to most blockbusters these days.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Linus is at it again.

Linus is at it again.

Lol, how (what I presume to be) Brad Pitt's character's house is colored pretty much like Matera. Lot of similar lighting/coloring going on here. That shot of Diego Calva at the end of the trailer is straight out of NTTD in terms of color too. Cinematographer auteurism!

This is beside the point of the thread but really excited for "Babylon". The script is on the internet and it is a fantastic read.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 1,215
    Does anyone else think NTTD feels very Spielbergian? The visuals, the inclusion of Bond's child... if I had gone into my first screening blind, I'd have been convinced that Steven Spielberg directed it. I'm surprised that I never heard Sandgren or Fukunaga cite him as an influence on this project because it's dripping in his style.

No-Time-to-Die-0094.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1692.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-0230.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-0142.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-0262.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-0908.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-0909.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1038.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1186.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1189.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1220.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1227.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1389.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-1655.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,680
    I haven't been around on this thread so far, but I can see your point. I also think that Lisa-Dorah Sonnet (Mathilde) as well as Coline Defaud (young Madeleine) were doing a fantastic job, just as Léa Seydoux did. And in that regard, integrating the young girls or children, your Spielberg connection makes sense, and in a good way. They just wouldn't let Spielberg direct a Bond movie when they still could have afforded it, and now they can't, or won't wish to, I guess.

PS: But this is not really about cinematography any more. Let me just say that I find the NTTD cinematography impeccable, as evidenced by your examples.
    I would say the mise en scene is too typical and simple. Spielberg always has extremely elaborate blocking for even simple scenes.
    Thank you for sharing those shots @battleshipgreygt they're brilliant, NTTD is a rich vibrant colourful film
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed a lot of NTTD's cinematography, I don't think anything will ever top Skyfall. The shot of Bond in silhouette running across the ice with his home in flames behind him will forever be iconic

Bond 26 will have a hard time matching Linus though
    matt_u wrote: »
    I agree, even tho I prefer the film better over digital. But Deakins is too good.

I wholeheartedly agree. They should get Deakins back. Maybe lure him back with Nolan. I’d love to see that combo for a new Bond. one thing is for certain, it would look amazing.