Should we get a new M / Q / Moneypenny for BOND 26 and beyond ?

Comments

• LizWLizW England
    QBranch wrote: »
    For the continuity fans, it would seem like a natural process for Robinson to be promoted from Dep. Chief of Staff to head honcho off screen, and then perhaps Robinson's middle name could be revealed as starting with 'M'.

"Middle name" does start with an M.
    I wonder if this is a requirement in the job description?
    -Surname must begin with an M.

I'd say not, because although it's a nice gimmick, the actual MI6 chief's codename is 'C' and the last incumbent has been Alex Younger and is now Richard Moore. Barely a 'C' in sight...

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Atleast new moneypenny.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    LizW wrote: »
    For the continuity fans, it would seem like a natural process for Robinson to be promoted from Dep. Chief of Staff to head honcho off screen, and then perhaps Robinson's middle name could be revealed as starting with 'M'.

I'd say not, because although it's a nice gimmick, the actual MI6 chief's codename is 'C' and the last incumbent has been Alex Younger and is now Richard Moore. Barely a 'C' in sight...

I knew "C" started with Sir Mansfield Cummings (SP?) but I didn't know that the C tradition continued after that. That's cool!

I agree we should keep M's office (and keep using Vauxhall Cross, etc), but an entirely new cast is needed IMO.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

I knew "C" started with Sir Mansfield Cummings (SP?) but I didn't know that the C tradition continued after that. That's cool!

I agree we should keep M's office (and keep using Vauxhall Cross, etc), but an entirely new cast is needed IMO.

Arguably, Bond's world has the whole thing backwards though. In real life "C" is the only person working at MI6 whose involvement with the service is publicly acknowledged. Everybody else's identity is at least officially kept secret.
    Bond's M is supposed to be this great secret, not the head of a huge government agency. (Although Skyfall throws a bit of a wrench into that, with the whole "standing in the stocks at midday.") And in the books, or at least the YOLT obit, it seems like the exploits of James Bond are largely known to the public, as the books themselves seem to exist in the world of the books.

To get back closer to topic: I personally would really like it if they finally managed to convey that Tanner is Bond's closest (thing to a) friend in the service. It seems like lately that role has been taken up by Q and Moneypenny (which is in itself interesting) with Tanner being relegated to exposition machine and someone for M to play against - and with Fiennes'-M he doesn't even really get to do a lot of that.
    To me it makes much more sense for him to be a very important point of contact for someone like 007, to the point that I think Tanner should more often be "the guy in Bond's ear". I've always thought it's weird M has direct operational oversight of individual missions like that and although I am glad they got Whishaw something more to do, it doesn't really make sense for Q either.

On a more meta-level: I think it could be good for the productions to scale back the role of M a bit, but continue to go after really big names for it. In that way, you could go to someone like Mark Rylance or Kenneth Branagh or Gary Oldman (I'd love Jonathan Pryce, too, but I thing TND pulls him out of the race) and go: "Look, this is one of the legendary roles. It'll take a week at most. All of it will be in London."
    And for Tanner you go with more of a working actor. I would actually like it a lot if they brought back Tobias Menzies, but he is maybe out of the age bracket to realistically be a new, younger Bond's friend, or say a Tom Cullen.
    Another option for Tanner I like a lot, but will never happen, is to pick one of the "could have been Bonds". Fassbender, Clive Owen, Idris Elba, Dominic West, Dougray Scott. The idea being that Tanner has basically the same background as Bond, but instead of taking the route towards the 00 section (or just never making it) he switched to running operations.

Arguably, Bond's world has the whole thing backwards though. In real life "C" is the only person working at MI6 whose involvement with the service is publicly acknowledged. Everybody else's identity is at least officially kept secret.
    Bond's M is supposed to be this great secret, not the head of a huge government agency. (Although Skyfall throws a bit of a wrench into that, with the whole "standing in the stocks at midday.") And in the books, or at least the YOLT obit, it seems like the exploits of James Bond are largely known to the public, as the books themselves seem to exist in the world of the books.

To get back closer to topic: I personally would really like it if they finally managed to convey that Tanner is Bond's closest (thing to a) friend in the service. It seems like lately that role has been taken up by Q and Moneypenny (which is in itself interesting) with Tanner being relegated to exposition machine and someone for M to play against - and with Fiennes'-M he doesn't even really get to do a lot of that.
    To me it makes much more sense for him to be a very important point of contact for someone like 007, to the point that I think Tanner should more often be "the guy in Bond's ear". I've always thought it's weird M has direct operational oversight of individual missions like that and although I am glad they got Whishaw something more to do, it doesn't really make sense for Q either.

On a more meta-level: I think it could be good for the productions to scale back the role of M a bit, but continue to go after really big names for it. In that way, you could go to someone like Mark Rylance or Kenneth Branagh or Gary Oldman (I'd love Jonathan Pryce, too, but I thing TND pulls him out of the race) and go: "Look, this is one of the legendary roles. It'll take a week at most. All of it will be in London."
    And for Tanner you go with more of a working actor. I would actually like it a lot if they brought back Tobias Menzies, but he is maybe out of the age bracket to realistically be a new, younger Bond's friend, or say a Tom Cullen.
    Another option for Tanner I like a lot, but will never happen, is to pick one of the "could have been Bonds". Fassbender, Clive Owen, Idris Elba, Dominic West, Dougray Scott. The idea being that Tanner has basically the same background as Bond, but instead of taking the route towards the 00 section (or just never making it) he switched to running operations.
    We already kind of had an M like that as I think Ralph Fiennes was up for the role in the mid 90's

That being said was Fiennes Wishaw and Harris contracts for 3 films or 4 I assumed four which would likely mean they will be back for the next one
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Tom Cullen should be on eon's list for the next bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Wishaw recently confirmed that he was contracted to do three Bond films, but that he actually would like to continue as Q. He also acknowledged that it was completely out of his hands and he genuinely doesn't know how EON are going to play it. It makes you think that Fiennes and Harris might also have been on three-film contracts - although Kinnear obviously wasn't, so who knows?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    My take on it is bring back Dalton as an aging Bond, and also Caroline Bliss. I love Naomie Harris, but man, Caroline Bliss was the most underrated Moneypenny.

Do a film where Bond finally get it on with Moneypenny!
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    For Karen Gillan as Q, she actually played a similar character, the gadget girl, in the third season of NTSF:SD:SUV::, a parody of shows such as CSI, 24 or NCIS that aired on Adult Swim. Episodes were just 11 minutes, and it was her first gig in the US. She was the replacement to the "plain" tech lab played by Rebecca Romijn during the first two seasons. She turned actually meaner and more sadistic towards others over the course of the season, which featured a double episode shot in the UK, featuring Colin Salmon, and a Skyfall parody, where Kate Mulgrew was M and the traitor was her own daughter.
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    edited November 2021 Posts: 74
    M: Idris? Clive Owen? Dougray Scott? Samantha Bond?
    Q: Ross Kemp? Mitchell and Webb? Bill Bailey? Sophia Myles?
    MoneyPenny should be a secretary again BUT make her head of ALL mission briefings / handovers on assignment akin to a Barrister's clerk: give her status, agency etc. Daisy ridley?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    M: Idris? Clive Owen? Dougray Scott? Samantha Bond?
    Q: Ross Kemp? Mitchell and Webb? Bill Bailey? Sophia Myles?
    MoneyPenny should be a secretary again BUT make her head of ALL mission briefings / handovers on assignment akin to a Barrister's clerk: give her status, agency etc. Daisy ridley?

Bill Bailey as Q - now THAT would be inspired casting ! "Oi - Bond! Keep yer wits about ya, I'm about to demonstrate the musical devastation of this machine-gun Stratocaster...!"
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,921
    Casting an Asian actor as Q could be interesting. It's all chemistry-dependent, though. SF and SP had wildly different success in this area...even though I think it was the same casting director! Craig instantly had chemistry with Whishaw.
    That was because they acted together previously in Layer Cake.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm aware.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 94
    Nathalie_Emmanuel_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

I vote Nathalie as Moneypenny if Naomi Harris doesn't want to return.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Stamper wrote: »
    That was because they acted together previously in Layer Cake.
    Whishaw had a couple of scenes with Craig in Enduring Love, too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    How would people feel about Olivia Colman as M?
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    edited February 2022 Posts: 140
    Denbigh wrote: »

I'd love it. She would be amazing in any administrative MI6 role.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,834
    OOWolf wrote: »

I'd love it. She would be amazing in any administrative MI6 role.
    I feel she has that same Dench quality, like most people would automatically like her M.
    Given The Night Manager, her casting as M would probably put the final nail into Hiddleston as Bond, too.

YES !!! Though I don't understand why her presence as M would bar Hiddleston as Bond. I'm not proposing Hiddleston for Bond, mind you, but, come to think of it, whether we get another intense Bond with a multi-picture major story arc, or a more light-hearted set of films, I think Hiddleston could portray well a Bond who - even if only in private or in front of persons about to die and therefore never can give it away - displays his cruel, pleasure-seeking, expects-to-die-on-the-job, kinda sorta psycho side more. Of course, the psychological evaluations at MI 6 would have figured him out long ago, but, you see, that's part of the very reasons they want him. Do you want the truth ? Fine ! Here's the TRUTH ! They WANT him on that job, they NEED him on that job !
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Since62 wrote: »
    YES !!! Though I don't understand why her presence as M would bar Hiddleston as Bond.
    Because it may seem too similar to The Night Manager where both actors played similarish roles. Cast Elizabeth Debicki as the Bond girl and it would literally be The Night Manager.

Personally I'd take Colman as M over Hiddleston as Bond.
    Oooooo me likey E Debicki. I consider her unlikely moreso because of Nolan's TeneT, though. Whatev. And things like that have not deterred the producers of Bond films past. They had the SAME actor who played Henderson in YOLT - one of their OWN films ! - appear as Blofeld in Connery's next film as Bond ! Even timelines don't stop them ! OHMSS in the books and by the plot clearly precedes YOLT - Blofeld didn't recognize Bond in OHMSS. However, in the beginning of DAF Bond is tracking down Blofeld to get revenge for what Blofeld and Bunt did at the end of OHMSS. So....all mixed up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm in 1000 times agreement, and yet she almost seems a bit too Dench-like in that role, like she'd be an obvious Robert Brown-style replacement. I'd rather get someone who could make it their own, as Fiennes has.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »

...yet she almost seems a bit too Dench-like in that role, like she'd be an obvious Robert Brown-style replacement. I'd rather get someone who could make it their own, as Fiennes has.
    I see what you mean but I think as long as the kept away from the motherly dynamic, and have Colman maybe utilise some of her comedy roots, she could make it her own. I know an M with humour might seem strange on paper, but if anyone could do it, it's Colman.

My other personal choice for M would be Lennie James
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That's fun! I guess continuing that line of thought, Adrian Dunbar might make a good one too :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

That's fun! I guess continuing that line of thought, Adrian Dunbar might make a good one too :)
    That's a good shout!

I think the hardest person to cast will be Moneypenny.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw someone suggest Phoebe Waller Bridge a few pages back and I do rather like that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I saw someone suggest Phoebe Waller Bridge a few pages back and I do rather like that.
    I could see that, although I think I'd prefer her to be brought back onto the writing team.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I’ll stick with my suggestions of Emily Watson and Jenna Coleman as M and Moneypenny respectively, and someone else's suggestion of Bill Nighy as Q.