No Time To Die - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

Comments

• 5 BAFTA nominations and 2 likely Oscar nominations is a good awards haul - I wouldn't have expected any further recognition from the academies.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Contraband wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Nominated for 5 BAFTAs.

British Film.
    Cinematography.
    Editing.
    Sound.
    Visual Effects.

https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2022-nominations-winners

So NTTD has 6 nom!

Agreed that The Power of the Dog is as painful as pointless to watch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    Nominated for 5 BAFTAs.

British Film.
    Cinematography.
    Editing.
    Sound.
    Visual Effects.

So NTTD has 6 nom!

It's 5. If you mean Lynch's nomination that's not specifically for NTTD.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Man, I don’t get the appeal of LICORICE PIZZA.

I haven't seen it, so I don't want to make sweeping judgements, but it seems the perfect illustration of the previous point re: films needing to appeal to Academy voters. A film set 50 years ago in the San Fernando Valley and around the movie industry is just catnip for people who are now in their 60s and 70s and entrenched enough in the film industry to have an Oscar vote...
    Nominated for 5 BAFTAs.

British Film.
    Cinematography.
    Editing.
    Sound.
    Visual Effects.

So NTTD has 6 nom!

Go tell them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,935
    Nominated for 5 BAFTAs.

British Film.
    Cinematography.
    Editing.
    Sound.
    Visual Effects.

So NTTD has 6 nom!

Go tell them.

It's fair enough for them to put it in there as they're promoting themselves, but it's not a nom for NTTD.
    Got tell BAFTA if you think it is, because it's not listed in that category.
    It’s a nom for her work on NTTD, Jesus…
    The public voted for her because she was in the bloody Bond flick. Even if technically is not a NTTD nom she has been nominated only because of her work on NTTD.
    Go on Twitter and point out to 007.com they made a mistake anyway. Go.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s a nom for her work on NTTD, Jesus…

It's not, no. Not specifically, that's not what the Rising Star award is.
    Notice how in all other awards the actor or crewmember gets the name of the film next to their name for their work on that film- that's not present here because the Rising Star award is given to talents who are recognised for breaking through generally. Obviously without NTTD she wouldn't be on that list, but when the little clipsreels get shown at the ceremony they will be of various performances she has given. Don't get shirty when you don't understand the situation.

Here's the blurb for her nomination:
    LASHANA LYNCH is quickly establishing herself as an internationally renowned actor, showcasing a range of disciplines across film, television and stage. In 2021, she made history as the first woman and the first woman of colour to carry on the legacy of 007 in her standout role as “Nomi” in Cary Joji Fukunaga’s No Time To Die, alongside Daniel Craig and Rami Malek. She is currently filming historical epic The Woman King in South Africa and will also be seen in the film adaptation of Matthew Warchus’ musical, Matilda, opposite Alisha Weir and Emma Thompson in the role of ‘Miss Honey’. Last year, Lashana starred in debbie tucker green’s ear for eye, the feature film adaptation of green’s well received play of the same name, which debuted at the Royal Court in 2018 where Lashana also took the lead role. She also notably starred in Captain Marvel alongside Brie Larson, and Shonda Rhimes’ period drama series, Still Star-Crossed.

Notice it doesn't say the nomination is for her role in NTTD, it's for her achievements and general talent.

And the sponsor's description:
    "The award honours an emerging actor or actress who has demonstrated exceptional talent and ambition and has begun to capture the imagination of the British public."

https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/ee-baftas
    I understand it perfectly, don’t try to be arrogant with me because you really chose the wrong one. You don’t seem to understand the fact that she’s been nominated ONLY because of her work on NTTD and perhaps that’s why 007.com listed her as well, even if “technically” it’s just a personal nom.

Go tell 007.com they are mistaken come on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    even if “technically” it’s just a personal nom.

Glad you get it now. FFS.
    You don’t seem to understand the fact that she’s been nominated ONLY because of her work on NTTD.

Yes, that'll be why I said "Obviously without NTTD she wouldn't be on that list" 8-|
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I understand it perfectly, don’t try to be arrogant with me because you really chose the wrong one. You don’t seem to understand the fact that she’s been nominated ONLY because of her work on NTTD and perhaps that’s why 007.com listed her as well, even if “technically” it’s just a personal nom.

Matt U, the most argumentative character on the forums? I think maybe...
    Did you get the notion that she has been nominated ONLY because of her work on this film tho?
    EDIT: Just saw your reply.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Seems to be. Then he turns around and tells people to stop replying to him :))

He's getting at me in the Questions Thread for no reason too, lol. Having a rough morning I suppose.
    Getting at you? How? XD
    I just replied normally to your post pointing out something I believe you got wrong from SP. It’s evening here tho ;).

Ha ha. Stop replying *twisting my words*.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I figured I'd get the time zone thing wrong! It's all good, of course, it just felt more aggressive than it needed to be, and then I see the same sort of thing occurring in this thread (and of course the old "Divisive" division in I-can't-remember-which-thread), so I thought I'd comment on it. Seems like something of a pattern.
    I figured I'd get the time zone thing wrong! It's all good, of course, it just felt more aggressive than it needed to be, and then I see the same sort of thing occurring in this thread, so I thought I'd comment on it.

Hey, no problem..!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2022 Posts: 8,021
    George Lazenby was nominated as a Rising Star at the Golden Globes in 1970. It’s pretty bleeding obvious what it was for.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    George Lazenby was nominated as a Rising Star at the Golden Globes in 1970. It’s pretty bleeding obvious what it was for.

That's because the Globes' 'New Star of The Year' awards was for specific roles, yes. That's why it's bleeding obvious: you just have to be able to read. Jon Voight won it specifically for his role in Midnight Cowboy.

Two different awards by different organisations, fifty years apart.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 8,021
    I was agreeing with you @mtm no need to be so confrontational with folks
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Lynch was also in the MCU, and some other projects IIRC.

She probably wouldn't have been nominated for this "Rising Star" award if she didn't have *all* of the roles she's had up until this point (including NTTD, of course).

With regards to the above tweets, it would make just as much sense for the Captain Marvel / MCU team to make a celebratory tweet for Lynch for the exact same award.

The Lazenby example might be a little different because he was in absolutely f***-all outside of OHMSS.

So yeah, I wouldn't say NTTD "owns" this nomination, they're just celebrating the success of one of the cast.

But again, absolutely none of this matters whatsoever.

@MakeshiftPython nice edit. :))
    Well regarding Lazenby it would have been bleeding obvious even if the award hadn't been technically tied to a specific role…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lynch was also in the MCU, and some other projects IIRC.

She probably wouldn't have been nominated for this "Rising Star" award if she didn't have *all* of the roles she's had up until this point (including NTTD, of course).

With regards to the above tweets, it would make just as much sense for the Captain Marvel / MCU team to make a celebratory tweet for Lynch for the exact same award.

The Lazenby example might be a little different because he was in absolutely f***-all outside of OHMSS.

So yeah, I wouldn't say NTTD "owns" this nomination, they're just celebrating the success of one of the cast.

Yup, exactly: that's what the BAFTA Rising Star is (and not what the Globes one was).
    I was agreeing with you @mtm no need to be so confrontational with folks

I hope you don't think someone saying 'bleeding obvious' is confrontational... ;)
    Well regarding Lazenby it would have been bleeding obvious even if the award hadn't been technically tied to a specific role…

It’s still pretty funny that Ursula Andress was nominated, as she was entirely dubbed.
    Everyone seems so touchy-touchy today.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It’s still pretty funny that Ursula Andress was nominated, as she was entirely dubbed.

I guess that's the Globes for you. It's mad they were nominating Lazenby at all.
    No stranger than Barbara Carrera getting a nomination.

I haven't seen it, so I don't want to make sweeping judgements, but it seems the perfect illustration of the previous point re: films needing to appeal to Academy voters. A film set 50 years ago in the San Fernando Valley and around the movie industry is just catnip for people who are now in their 60s and 70s and entrenched enough in the film industry to have an Oscar vote...

But those same people grew up with Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No stranger than Barbara Carrera getting a nomination.

For NSNA, really? That is odd, but I'd probably say it was a better turn than Lazenby's.
    delfloria wrote: »

But those same people grew up with Bond.

Those same people also grew up not thinking of Bond as Oscar material for many years. If you told them 20 years ago that Sam Mendes would direct a Bond film they would think you were INSANE.

Until SKYFALL, I don’t think anyone had seriously considered Bond to be part of Oscar talk. Only three title songs had been nominated prior to that (“Live and Let Die”, “Nobody Does it Better”, and “For Your Eyes Only”). A few technical awards here and there for the Connery and Moore films. I think the Dalton and Brosnan years were completely absent of ANY nominee.

Only the BAFTAs ever handed out nominations and wins for cinematography, production design, etc through the years. And then CR came along and got nominated for the big categories, and since then Bond has been seen as a “prestige blockbuster”.