No Time To Die - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

Comments

• edited December 2021 Posts: 6,844
    Craig/Bond had quite a few weird, off-character moments in NTTD, even more so than in SP. I recall him having some quite good moments in NTTD too, but a very mixed performance overall. Part of that is down to how Bond is written here, and part of that is Craig's performance of the material. I don't think Bond should ever be given monologues to speak, and Craig gets a couple of them here. I don't Bond should ever get snooty or sassy with M either, and we see that in SP and to an even greater degree in NTTD.

Granted, I've only seen the film twice and will need to revisit it to really take in how his performance plays throughout the film, but my first impressions weren't that this was my ideal picture of Craig's Bond.

I don't think Craig has ever been quite so perfect in the role from first frame to last as he was in QOS. Not a missed beat there. I'd consider CR his second best portrayal of Bond. A couple moments where he seemed a bit in over his head but otherwise very strong throughout. SF is where his performance started getting a little more unnatural, a little more forced here and there (though he was still a great colder version of Bond for much of the film), but the affectations unfortunately only grew more pronounced and more frequent in SP and NTTD.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bond's behaviour with M is a lot more appropriate in NTTD than it was in SP.
  • Bond's behaviour with M is a lot more appropriate in NTTD than it was in SP.

I'd agree, but I still don't believe Bond would ever respond to M that way, under any circumstances. Even in "For Your Eyes Only," when M asks Bond to serve as his own personal assassin in a private matter—a clear misuse of government property—Bond just thinks what he thinks and agrees to take care of it for M. He doesn't say, "My god, look at you. You really are something, M. Fine, I'll do this for you because that's who I am, but I'm going to give you a piece of my mind first." He just thinks what he thinks and does the job.

(And I understand the relationship between Bond and M can be something other than as portrayed in Fleming, but I don't think it should be.)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,897
    In a different kind of Awards Chatter, there are rumours that Craig's going to be receiving a C.M.G. from the Queen in the New Years Honours List. Which, of course, Fleming listed among Bond's honours in his obituary in YOLT, with DenchM doing the same in Bond's SF obituary.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Can he still get an honour from the Queen, even though he is no longer a British citizen?
  • Having dual citizenship doesn't mean he's no longer a British citizen.
  • Craig/Bond had quite a few weird, off-character moments in NTTD, even more so than in SP. I recall him having some quite good moments in NTTD too, but a very mixed performance overall. Part of that is down to how Bond is written here, and part of that is Craig's performance of the material. I don't think Bond should ever be given monologues to speak, and Craig gets a couple of them here. I don't Bond should ever get snooty or sassy with M either, and we see that in SP and to an even greater degree in NTTD.

Granted, I've only seen the film twice and will need to revisit it to really take in how his performance plays throughout the film, but my first impressions weren't that this was my ideal picture of Craig's Bond.

I don't think Craig has ever been quite so perfect in the role from first frame to last as he was in QOS. Not a missed beat there. I'd consider CR his second best portrayal of Bond. A couple moments where he seemed a bit in over his head but otherwise very strong throughout. SF is where his performance started getting a little more unnatural, a little more forced here and there (though he was still a great colder version of Bond for much of the film), but the affectations unfortunately only grew more pronounced and more frequent in SP and NTTD.

100% agree with this.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    delfloria wrote: »
    Interesting, I didn't find any anything negative in Craig's performance.

The Blofeld scene would be enough to disqualify him for me. He's immense overall, but I don't know what he was at there.

That would be one scene where I would love to hear the directors commentary on.

I did really like that scene, but really wasn't sure what he was playing at in the beginning.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Having dual citizenship doesn't mean he's no longer a British citizen.

But he does have a dual citizenship, does he? I think Weisz has dual citizenship, but I was under the impression that Craig had full US citizenship (in which he’d have to renounce being a British citizen.
    Wouldn't he actually have to 'repudiate the Queen' as part of the citizenship oath too?
    I'd imagine that'd be the end of even an honorary CMG, let alone a real one.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518

But he does have a dual citizenship, does he? I think Weisz has dual citizenship, but I was under the impression that Craig had full US citizenship (in which he’d have to renounce being a British citizen.

A quick internet search says you can be both a British Citizen and an American Citizen; I wouldn't think you'd have to give up one for the other in this case? My girlfriend's sister is, I'm pretty sure, a citizen of both America and Britain.

270003684_257583399799978_2519352388144655583_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YoXxx69ZU7kAX9v0ixy&tn=Ql7GfT9HJk6cngP9&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka2-1.fna&oh=00_AT85BNpDBR0PykL7DuJOmg60nG89nDofWuFA-pzfBPS6QQ&oe=61CE0131
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,882

A quick internet search says you can be both a British Citizen and an American Citizen; I wouldn't think you'd have to give up one for the other in this case? My girlfriend's sister is, I'm pretty sure, a citizen of both America and Britain.

270003684_257583399799978_2519352388144655583_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YoXxx69ZU7kAX9v0ixy&tn=Ql7GfT9HJk6cngP9&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka2-1.fna&oh=00_AT85BNpDBR0PykL7DuJOmg60nG89nDofWuFA-pzfBPS6QQ&oe=61CE0131

Yes, but that’s a dual citizenship. As I said in my previous post, as far as I was aware, his other half had dual citizenship, but at was under the impression that Craig had full US citizenship. And in order to do that, he would have had to renounce his British citizenship. And I am sure in recent interviews, when being called ‘British’ by the host, Craig has corrected them by saying that he is an American citizen now (no mention of a dual citizenship).

On saying that, Harvey Weinstein was awarded an honourary CBE, before is was stripped from him. So I guess it wouldn’t make much difference, it would just be an honourary award.
    Weird. I definitely assume he still has citizenship in both countries; I think he lives in both countries, so not sure why he'd give up the British citizenship for seemingly no reason.
    I think it was a Steven Colbert interview, where he corrected the host.
    Didn't Emily Blunt become an American citizen rather than a dual national? Does seem odd if it's just as easy to have dual nationality. But while foreign nationals can receive honorary awards, a British person who becomes a full American citizen has to actually renounce the Queen - I wonder if that precludes them being given an honorary award at a future date?
    Would they allow a full American citizen to be an honourary Commander in the Royal Navy? This is all so confusing.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Didn't Emily Blunt become an American citizen rather than a dual national? Does seem odd if it's just as easy to have dual nationality. But while foreign nationals can receive honorary awards, a British person who becomes a full American citizen has to actually renounce the Queen - I wonder if that precludes them being given an honorary award at a future date?

Never heard this idea that if you become a dual citizen by becoming an American citizen you have to "renounce the Queen"; do you have a source for this info? Would be interesting to learn more.
    Venutius wrote: »

Never heard this idea that if you become a dual citizen by becoming an American citizen you have to "renounce the Queen"; do you have a source for this info? Would be interesting to learn more.

If I understand it right, a UK-US dual citizenship doesn't renounce the Queen. A British citizen wanting to become a US citizen is only expected to renounce the Queen, if they want to become only a US citizen.

I might be wrong, but that is how I understand it.
    No, no, I said this happens if a British person becomes a 'full American citizen' - ie. gives up their British citizenship and becomes an American citizen. I should probably have said 'only' rather than 'full'. MajorDSmythe's right - dual nationals don't have to do it. So, for example, Emily Blunt became an American citizen only and had to renounce the Queen; Rachel Weisz became a dual national, so she won't have done it. Sorry for any confusion.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Aaaaaah I understand. Makes sense.

I wonder why one would take the Emily Blunt route, and not just be dual...

Maybe Krasinski made her cut all possible ties to Gervais' The Office... ;)
  • Venutius wrote: »

Renouncing the Queen isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. You just have to egg her house and they consider it a done deal.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    NTTD bags GG for best song. Zimmer won the best score for Dune. Congratulations!

SAG Nomination Final Predictions: ‘Belfast’ Set to Lead, Daniel Craig’s Last 007 Outing Could Surprise
    https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/sag-awards-nominations-predictions-belfast-no-time-to-die-1235150893/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    NTTD has been shortlisted in 11 categories for the upcoming BAFTA nominations.