NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have to admit, when Bond was watching Safin's helicopter take Maddy and Matilde away, I thought 'use your magic helicopter pistol! It's right by your canister of bat shark-repellent'.

As undeniably idiotic as that moment in SPECTRE is, if there was any fictional character who I think could take down a helicopter with a pistol shot, it would be James Bond.

Also, @coloneladamski why would he want to shoot down a helicopter with Madeleine and Mathilde on it?

"Yes, I did it again! Oh, wait, no, that wasn't the best idea..."

*explosions in distance*
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    “Well, I did get that creepy Safin weirdo too… eh, six of one half dozen of the other.”

*Bond theme, roll credits*
  • He drove at plane at her in SP, and that turned out okay.

• GBFGBF
    He drove at plane at her in SP, and that turned out okay.

He also shot the helicopter in such a way that it landed on that bridge and Blofeld was injured but not dead so that he could be arrested. A truly great shot :-)
    Neither of you are wrong, can’t argue that. :))
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2022 Posts: 648
    The problem with the Spectre finale isn't a pistol bringing down a civilian chopper, it's how Blofeld's chopper somehow doesn't fly out of sight within about five seconds, but instead lingers around the Thames so that Bond can catch up to him in his boat. Honestly, Tommy Wiseau could have written a better climactic sequence.
    Arrogance? He wanted to watch?

As soon as we start wondering why megalomaniacal supervillains with huge lairs in the deserts of Morocco aren't acting in a practical, logical, level headed way, we have to remind ourselves who these characters are.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Arrogance? He wanted to watch?

As soon as we start wondering why megalomaniacal supervillains with huge lairs in the deserts of Morocco aren't acting in a practical, logical, level headed way, we have to remind ourselves who these characters are.

He did watch, though. He watched the building collapse, thought Bond was dead, and then had the chopper turn around and fly away. He didn't even know Bond was in the boat chasing him, so we can't even pass it off as him being megalomaniacal. It's just lazy moviemaking.
    Ah. Well if it happened as you described (I don't remember the sequence of evens), it sounds like he was trying to high-tail it out of there at the appropriate moment, fly out of sight as you put it.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    It's just lazy moviemaking.

If you say so.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    A proper Helicopter vs Speedboat chase would have also helped the finale.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

True.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

It couldn't work on the Thames, as the chopper could just veer away from the river and escape over the city. A chopper vs. speedboat chase could only work on a large body of water.

The whole finale was misconceived. Spectre should have ended at the crater base instead of artificially relocating all the characters to London.

It couldn't work on the Thames, as the chopper could just veer away from the river and escape over the city. A chopper vs. speedboat chase could only work on a large body of water.

The whole finale was misconceived. Spectre should have ended at the crater base instead of artificially relocating all the characters to London.

Yeah, I don't mean Blofeld escaping. Like Blofeld discovering Bond is alive and chasing him, then decides to fight Bond, using the helicopter.

True.

Yeah, lots of missed opportunities in SP for such a Bondian-looking film.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518

True and true.

Yeah, I don't mean Blofeld escaping. Like Blofeld discovering Bond is alive and chasing him, then decides to fight Bond, using the helicopter.

True.

True.

So true.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The only reason I give the bit with Bond shooting a helicopter down a pass is because it takes almost all of his rounds before he finally hits his target. If Bond had simply hit the chopper with his first shot, then I’d be “okay, THAT is silly”.
    The only reason I give the bit with Bond shooting a helicopter down a pass is because it takes almost all of his rounds before he finally hits his target. If Bond had simply hit the chopper with his first shot, then I’d be “okay, THAT is silly”.

True, from two guns as well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

True, from two guns as well.

Never underestimate the power of pure stupid luck.
    It’s half of everything.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    And James Bond is one of the luckiest people alive (well...). Aren't there mutliple occasions in the books, where Bond thinks to himself "there is no way this is going to work, but there is no other option" and then it ends up working? Not to mention him constantly walking into world-threatening plots while originally investigating comparatively minor threats.
  • I love it how, on a political assignment in Japan, he's asked to - off the record - kill someone, who turns out just by chance to be the bloke that killed his wife in Germany a few months earlier. What are the odds, eh?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The same odds that grant him 8s and 9s on the baccarat table nearly every time he plays.

But luck doesn’t last forever.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

True.

I've said it many times: the SP finale's blueprint was in TSWLM. Explosive device that needs to be disconnected? Check. Bond girl in the hands of the villain? Check. Henchman still on the loose and has to be taken out? Check. I feel that the helicopter fight needed to be reserved for the ending, with Bond vs Hinx.

The silliest part of SP was Bond letting Madeleine just walk away, into the night...with seemingly nowhere to go. WTAF. That too needed serious revision.

• edited January 2022 Posts: 928
    TripAces wrote: »

True.

I've said it many times: the SP finale's blueprint was in TSWLM. Explosive device that needs to be disconnected? Check. Bond girl in the hands of the villain? Check. Henchman still on the loose and has to be taken out? Check. I feel that the helicopter fight needed to be reserved for the ending, with Bond vs Hinx.

The silliest part of SP was Bond letting Madeleine just walk away, into the night...with seemingly nowhere to go. WTAF. That too needed serious revision.

The choice of empty night-time London as the location for the finale was also a miss, especially after we already had empty night-time Rome. All of the events from finale could've taken place in Morocco.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,898
    Y'know, I actually like that the whole end sequence is at night and the streets are almost deserted.
  • GBFGBF
    TripAces wrote: »

True.

The choice of empty night-time London as the location for the finale was also a miss, especially after we already had empty night-time Rome. All of the events from finale could've taken place in Morocco.

You mean in almost empty Morocco.... Oh yes and we had another action scene in empty Austria, too.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Yeah, that's one of the many miracles in SP: Nobody on thre streets apart from that bloke listening to opera music, and all about sudden, once Bond sinks the Aston Martin into the Tiber, there are people walking around. Austria ski resorts are empty. L'Americain is empty. Why that train stops in the middle of nowhere (and where is it heading to?), is a mystery. Oh yes, and the empty streets of London are also odd.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Yeah, that's one of the many miracles in SP: Nobody on thre streets apart from that bloke listening to opera music, and all about sudden, once Bond sinks the Aston Martin into the Tiber, there are people walking around. Austria ski resorts are empty. L'Americain is empty. Why that train stops in the middle of nowhere (and where is it heading to?), is a mystery. Oh yes, and the empty streets of London are also odd.

Also the empty art gallery, hotel swimming pool, and bar from Skyfall. Oh, and Macau looking like a swamp as opposed to this:
    https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/night-skyline-of-macau-viewed-from-the-water-picture-id462079121?k=20&m=462079121&s=612x612&w=0&h=SJ9h7DkbcW5_1x5RJGW7dx1hFvrr0W9uKDqQ-rjQLdg=

• GBFGBF

Also the empty art gallery, hotel swimming pool, and bar from Skyfall. Oh, and Macau looking like a swamp as opposed to this:
    https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/night-skyline-of-macau-viewed-from-the-water-picture-id462079121?k=20&m=462079121&s=612x612&w=0&h=SJ9h7DkbcW5_1x5RJGW7dx1hFvrr0W9uKDqQ-rjQLdg=

Thinking about the consequences of COVID 19, Skyfall and Spectre were probably ahead of their time.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Everywhere looks better without those 'people' things in it, though...😉