NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

1160161163165166173

Comments

  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 359
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why it's a competition. Bond is Bond. Spidey is Spidey. Like one of them, like both of them, or like neither. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

    Exactly. Super thrilled to have had NTTD and NWH in such short order. At the end of the day, IMO, the theatre-goers are the winners.
    Sadly, theatres just closed here again in Quebec ... and we are in the midst of another lock-down. Glad to have had the opportunity to see NTTD so many times in recent months. It feels like a respite from this cursed pandemic ....
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,322
    As far as I know ours are still open, but who knows how long that'll last.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,067
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    It could be. I don't see any showtimes (AMC/Alamo) for NTTD here in NYC after Tuesday (12/21).

  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,149
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Has NTTD been pulled from US screens? Not seeing any update for it.

    It could be. I don't see any showtimes (AMC/Alamo) for NTTD here in NYC after Tuesday (12/21).

    All of my local theaters pulled it upon Spidermans release. Figure in the states it can be purchased today in stores.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    LA is still showing it.
  • Posts: 1,314
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 4,247
    I would be very surprised if the next Bond era isn't mission-based and standalone adventures.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,843
    I have zero expectations of what the next Bond era will hold. It could either be a throwback/old school type of Bond film or be something completely different from what came before, including Craig’s run.
  • Posts: 1,314
    The introspective darkness seems a little dated moving forward IMO. Especially as we all have a good reason to escape from reality for 2 hours.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,292
    Well I have a feeling they will go for some more lighthearted stuff with the next one. I agree that darker entertainment may be dated in a post pandemic world, especially for a globetrotting adventure with Bond in it, and going that route will mark a fresh new start after the more serious Craig era.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,843
    Matt007 wrote: »
    The introspective darkness seems a little dated moving forward IMO. Especially as we all have a good reason to escape from reality for 2 hours.

    Introspective darkness can be escapist entertainment.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,508
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

  • I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,292
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.

    I'm feeling a massive flop.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,843
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    Marvel fans are happy to enjoy all the cute Easter eggs whereas there’s a subset of Bond fans crossing their arms over Craig driving a DB5.

    Thankfully I saw SKYFALL with the right crowd in theaters. When that DB5 showed up, everyone cheered. The logistics of how Craig Bond got it did not matter one iota.

    Though I think Easter eggs can only be done well depending on execution. I love GHOSTBUSTERS, but all the references in AFTERLIFE fell flat for me.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,314
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    You know what. I’m mistaken to a degree. I watched far from home the night before and they kind of blended into one. Yeah - accept your point to a degree.

    I thought far.. was the better film. But they were both great.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 4,247
    I have zero expectations of what the next Bond era will hold. It could either be a throwback/old school type of Bond film or be something completely different from what came before, including Craig’s run.

    Yeah, could be. But honestly, I'm seeing a very slick adventure for Bond 26. And I can't help but think in the vein of TLD, GE & CR.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,292
    I don’t know it really looks like its NA run is over with $160,772,007.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,149
    matt_u wrote: »
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I shudder to think what the BO for the new Matrix film will look like.

    I'm feeling a massive flop.

    It would have been more successful not releasing it around Spiderman. It should have been released at Thanksgiving
  • I like Spiderman movies but give me Daniel Craig era Bond ahead of him anyday
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    Marvel fans are happy to enjoy all the cute Easter eggs whereas there’s a subset of Bond fans crossing their arms over Craig driving a DB5.

    Thankfully I saw SKYFALL with the right crowd in theaters. When that DB5 showed up, everyone cheered. The logistics of how Craig Bond got it did not matter one iota.

    Though I think Easter eggs can only be done well depending on execution. I love GHOSTBUSTERS, but all the references in AFTERLIFE fell flat for me.

    It’s not the logistics of how Craig’s Bond got the gadget filled DB5 for me, I couldn’t care less about that. I just prefer Bond moving forwards. I like each Bond having his own iconography, and I think easter eggs and callbacks work better in moderation. Seeing the DB5 in the 50th anniversary film would’ve been really thrilling for me if we hadn’t seen it since Connery’s heyday, and I did grin like an idiot when he first popped the machine guns out. But its appearances in GE and CR were too recent for it to really feel novel imo. The DB10 was much more exciting for me, because it was new.

    That’s one of the things I really liked about the Moore era. Cigars instead of cigs, Lotus instead of Astons, even ditching rolex after LALD for those naff 70s digital watches. Sure, it’s not as timeless as Connery’s style. But he really felt like his own man. I’d like them do that again with the next guy, focus on making it feel as modern and new as they can. If it were up to me I’d keep the callbacks confined to the anniversary films, I think they’re allowed to be wanky then, because it’s a big event. But I’d rather avoid things like the OHMSS nods we had in NTTD. I understood why they were there (evoke memories of that film then subvert it with the ending), but they didn’t really add anything to the film imo. They didn’t ruin it either, it’s not the end of the world, and it still had its own identity in spite of them. But I just didn’t see the need, they did nothing for me. If I wanted to be reminded of OHMSS I’d watch it.
  • Posts: 625
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don’t know it really looks like its NA run is over with $160,772,007.

    MGM will update it, just not on a weekly basis anymore.
    The movie is still playing in some theatres in the US, so the numbers until last thursday won't be the end.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,508
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    Marvel fans are happy to enjoy all the cute Easter eggs whereas there’s a subset of Bond fans crossing their arms over Craig driving a DB5.

    Thankfully I saw SKYFALL with the right crowd in theaters. When that DB5 showed up, everyone cheered. The logistics of how Craig Bond got it did not matter one iota.

    Though I think Easter eggs can only be done well depending on execution. I love GHOSTBUSTERS, but all the references in AFTERLIFE fell flat for me.

    This is probably more accurate. You're right.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    You know what. I’m mistaken to a degree. I watched far from home the night before and they kind of blended into one. Yeah - accept your point to a degree.

    I thought far.. was the better film. But they were both great.

    From what I can remember, in every spider-man movie, Peter is dealing with a certain amount of angst, and that always makes his character relatable and engaging. He's just a kid, after all. In fact, all of the Avengers go through periods of doubt, guilt, and shame. Why wouldn't they?

    Daniel Craig's era has been quite similar, and I loved it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 13,104
    You are comparing two separate fandoms, there's your problem. And the rules that govern what can be done in the worlds that each inhabit.

    Also, CR is a supposed to be a clean Mr Slate*, free of the baggage of the past, yet at the same time, that very same film can't let go of the past. Dimitrios could have had any classic car. A Jaguar E-Type, Alfa Romeo Spyder, Lamborghini Muira but no, it had to be the DB5.

    *I know, I know, he's from QOS, just go with it.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Another thing I like about the new Spider-Man is that he isn’t wracked with guilt or doubt or self loathing like many other heroes in modern cinema, Bond included.

    Its extremely refreshing to see popcorn entertainment that is first and foremost spectacle and fun

    I got roped into seeing it despite my MCU fatigue.

    My response to this is: he's NOT? The entire film revolves around the fact that he is wracked with guilt and regret. And then, like Bond, he makes an enormous sacrifice for the sake of the people he loves. But also, his own...
    recklessness and stupidity leads to May being killed and lets loose an entire legion of villains. I also find it interesting that Marvel's decision to bring "alternate realities" into the story is cheered by so many; yet at the same time Bond fans lose their $#!t over Bond driving the DB5 or the soundtrack using motifs from OHMSS.

    Next up: Hulk: No Way Home, in which Eric Bana and Edward Norton show up.

    Marvel fans are happy to enjoy all the cute Easter eggs whereas there’s a subset of Bond fans crossing their arms over Craig driving a DB5.

    Thankfully I saw SKYFALL with the right crowd in theaters. When that DB5 showed up, everyone cheered. The logistics of how Craig Bond got it did not matter one iota.

    Though I think Easter eggs can only be done well depending on execution. I love GHOSTBUSTERS, but all the references in AFTERLIFE fell flat for me.

    It’s not the logistics of how Craig’s Bond got the gadget filled DB5 for me, I couldn’t care less about that. I just prefer Bond moving forwards. I like each Bond having his own iconography, and I think easter eggs and callbacks work better in moderation. Seeing the DB5 in the 50th anniversary film would’ve been really thrilling for me if we hadn’t seen it since Connery’s heyday, and I did grin like an idiot when he first popped the machine guns out. But its appearances in GE and CR were too recent for it to really feel novel imo. The DB10 was much more exciting for me, because it was new.

    That’s one of the things I really liked about the Moore era. Cigars instead of cigs, Lotus instead of Astons, even ditching rolex after LALD for those naff 70s digital watches. Sure, it’s not as timeless as Connery’s style. But he really felt like his own man. I’d like them do that again with the next guy, focus on making it feel as modern and new as they can. If it were up to me I’d keep the callbacks confined to the anniversary films, I think they’re allowed to be wanky then, because it’s a big event. But I’d rather avoid things like the OHMSS nods we had in NTTD. I understood why they were there (evoke memories of that film then subvert it with the ending), but they didn’t really add anything to the film imo. They didn’t ruin it either, it’s not the end of the world, and it still had its own identity in spite of them. But I just didn’t see the need, they did nothing for me. If I wanted to be reminded of OHMSS I’d watch it.

    I mostly agree with this. Yes, fanwankery in moderation is key. Still, when we saw the db5 in SF it was a great moment. It's appearances in GE, TND and CR seemed inconsequential. Also using Moore to underscore your point is salient. Moore was able to create new iconography just like Connery was able to do. However, Moore's ditching of the Rolex for those horrid digital watches are unforgivable.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    NWH just needs $25M to outgross NTTD.

    XD
  • Posts: 699
    Lol. In just a few days.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    It's an Endgame kind of event.

    People got accustomed to come back to the movies from mid-late September and now the biggest moneymaker studio of the last 20 years just released a film that's a (very good) greatest hits of 20 years of the most beloved superhero of the world.

    That's not surprising. At this rate it will end up grossing $1.6/1.7B - it will 200% hit 1B by Sunday - at the end of its run and in a pre pandemic world it would've outgrossed Infinity War, that's for sure...
  • matt_u wrote: »
    NWH just needs $25M to outgross NTTD.

    XD

    Bond will have to settle for #2 for the year.

  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,843
    You are comparing two separate fandoms, there's your problem. And the rules that govern what can be done in the worlds that each inhabit.

    Also, CR is a supposed to be a clean Mr Slate*, free of the baggage of the past, yet at the same time, that very same film can't let go of the past. Dimitrios could have had any classic car. A Jaguar E-Type, Alfa Romeo Spyder, Lamborghini Muira but no, it had to be the DB5.

    *I know, I know, he's from QOS, just go with it.

    I don’t see how that’s an issue. There’s no rulebook stating the reboots need to pretend previous films never existed even in a meta sense. It would have been interesting if EON did that by completely stripping away all the iconography, music, etc, making CR as if no Bond film ever existed. But the only reason they rebooted at all was because Wilson wanted to do a story of Bond’s beginnings as a 00 agent for 20 years by that point, and if it wasn’t a prequel then it was a reboot by necessity. Had they not done that story, Bond likely would have never rebooted. It would have just continued on (making killing Bond an even bigger deal if they wanted to pursue that)
Sign In or Register to comment.