The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Works of JK Rowling

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Surely the obvious choice would be Colin Farrel.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I am saddened that the cancel culture and woke nature of Hollywood continues. I like Johnny Depp but I'd be careful on what skeletons are in my closet if I was a major film star.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Interesting, good casting if it happens.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I wouldn't mind seeing Mads or Lars take over the roll.

I really feel they could have avoided all of this when, when Colin Farrel received such a positive and popular reaction from fans. They should have just kept him in the role.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/mikkelsen-confirmed-for-fantastic-beasts-3/
    Warner Bros. Pictures has now finally confirmed that Mads Mikkelsen has been cast as the Dark Wizard himself Gellert Grindelwald in the third “Fantastic Beasts” movie.

The film recently moved its original November 12th 2021 release date to summer 2022 and actors like Eddie Redmayne and Jude Law are already shooting their scenes for the film at Warner Bros Studios Leavesden.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    thedove wrote: »
    I am saddened that the cancel culture and woke nature of Hollywood continues. I like Johnny Depp but I'd be careful on what skeletons are in my closet if I was a major film star.

It will continue, sadly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

It will continue, sadly.

They're gliding down a slippery slope. Ban every actor who's ever done something inexcusable or said anything sensitive, boycott every director or producer who's ever likewise done something that apparently makes him worse than Satan, and you've got a very small Hollywood left indeed. No Finding Forrester, no Jeepers Creepers, no The Ghost Writer.

I'm surprised they'll make another FB in the first place. Wasn't J.K.R. the worst person on Earth for her "women" statements?

But hey, Depp can be replaced by worse actors than Mads. I just don't think Depp should've been replaced in the first place.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It will continue, sadly.

They're gliding down a slippery slope. Ban every actor who's ever done something inexcusable or said anything sensitive, boycott every director or producer who's ever likewise done something that apparently makes him worse than Satan, and you've got a very small Hollywood left indeed. No Finding Forrester, no Jeepers Creepers, no The Ghost Writer.

I'm surprised they'll make another FB in the first place. Wasn't J.K.R. the worst person on Earth for her "women" statements?

But hey, Depp can be replaced by worse actors than Mads. I just don't think Depp should've been replaced in the first place.

I'm not sure what to say on this matter, sad to see him go. It seems that the decision is based on the recent trial, which was Depp against a tabloid for trashing his name. Those cases are rarely ever won in the UK due to their laws. After losing out on Jack Sparrow, at least he had this, now they've cowered away. Meanwhile, Amber Turd is getting her paycheck for Snyder Cut scenes and maybe Aquaman 2 as well. A lot of fans have came for depp support, although it's not going to change anything. The more woke they go, the more broke they will become.

It will continue, sadly.

I'm not sure what to say on this matter, sad to see him go. It seems that the decision is based on the recent trial, which was Depp against a tabloid for trashing his name. Those cases are rarely ever won in the UK due to their laws. After losing out on Jack Sparrow, at least he had this, now they've cowered away. Meanwhile, Amber Turd is getting her paycheck for Snyder Cut scenes and maybe Aquaman 2 as well. A lot of fans have came for depp support, although it's not going to change anything. The more woke they go, the more broke they will become.

You are seriously calling her "Amber Turd"??? Or was that a typo??
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,861

It will continue, sadly.

I'm not sure what to say on this matter, sad to see him go. It seems that the decision is based on the recent trial, which was Depp against a tabloid for trashing his name. Those cases are rarely ever won in the UK due to their laws.

That's completely wrong: they're quite often won against tabloids. You're much more likely to win a libel case in the UK because the burden of proof is on the journalist to prove what they wrote is true (and they often lose), unlike in the US where the person bringing the claim of libel has to prove that what they say is true. I think in this case it just seems a lot of the allegations were true. If you feel you can prove otherwise, go for it.
    :D

It will continue, sadly.

Thing is, after everything that came out in the trial regarding his extreme behaviour I can well imagine them being worried he's likely to get himself sent to jail or maybe even accidentally kill himself halfway through them filming the thing, which isn't any sort of moral judgement but just a purely financial one when you have movies costing this amount of money. You may also have insurers saying they won't insure his participation in the film or will only do so at a higher price, so again: money. And yes, also you have the risk of more stories or some other skeleton coming out of the cupboard when you're trying to promote the movie, overshadowing the whole thing.
    I don't know if these are their reasons for ditching him, but they would seem like not unreasonable possibilities. It might not be the morally puritanical crusade you see it as but just a financial one.
    mtm wrote: »

It will continue, sadly.

I'm not sure what to say on this matter, sad to see him go. It seems that the decision is based on the recent trial, which was Depp against a tabloid for trashing his name. Those cases are rarely ever won in the UK due to their laws.

That's completely wrong: they're quite often won against tabloids. You're much more likely to win a libel case in the UK because the burden of proof is on the journalist to prove what they wrote is true (and they often lose), unlike in the US where the person bringing the claim of libel has to prove that what they say is true. I think in this case it just seems a lot of the allegations were true. If you feel you can prove otherwise, go for it.

It will continue, sadly.

Thing is, after everything that came out in the trial regarding his extreme behaviour I can well imagine them being worried he's likely to get himself sent to jail or maybe even accidentally kill himself halfway through them filming the thing, which isn't any sort of moral judgement but just a purely financial one when you have movies costing this amount of money. You may also have insurers saying they won't insure his participation in the film or will only do so at a higher price, so again: money. And yes, also you have the risk of more stories or some other skeleton coming out of the cupboard when you're trying to promote the movie, overshadowing the whole thing.
    I don't know if these are their reasons for ditching him, but they would seem like not unreasonable possibilities. It might not be the morally puritanical crusade you see it as but just a financial one.

The burden of proof was on Depp to prove what they wrote was wrong, he sued the paper for printing those lies about him, in this particular case there is a lot of links between the judge and Amber’s legal team. Another thing is, the judge’s son works for Dan Wooton with Murdoch media. Dan Wooton was the man being sued by Depp for using the phrase “wife beater” in an article he wrote for The Sun.

There was actually no proof whatsoever that Depp ever abused her, physically or otherwise. But the case wasn’t about that, it was about whether there was enough to prove that he DIDN’T abuse her. The judge ruled he was unable to prove he hadn't done the things he was accused of - that’s not the same as proving he had done it though, it just suggests there wasn’t enough evidence that he hadn’t and that it’s just his word against hers. The problem is, he still had way more evidence than Heard (including a recording of her literally admitting to abusing him and saying "she can’t promise it won’t happen again"), and the judge was incredibly biased and inconsistent with his rulings, making allowances for Heard’s testimony that he didn’t make for Depp and dismissing valuable witness testimonies for no clear reason. I don't think this judge care, haven't you read the verdict? He discredited every johnny's witness by claiming to be loyal to him but he found her 4 witnesses(all friends and freeloaders) very reliable. The court ruled that Johnny didn't prove he didn't hit her. So instead of the accuser proving the guilt, the accused has to prove their innocence. I don't think they proved abuse, only that there was not libel from the Sun since her accusations could have been true at the time. The 12 out of 14 proven accusations aren't exactly proven, they are proven on the base that the accusations were made before they had proof of innocence. Meaning they never proved Johnny abused her, they proved that they could legally smear him on that basis of ignorance of evidence. That means the abuse wasn't proven, it just means they had proof they could smear him from 12 plausible accusations.

As for firing him,the rules that applies to him for being fired also applies to her for extremely abusive behavior. If you feel otherwise you can support her and prove he is wrong, go for it, more power to you ;) . From a political standpoint, Depp suing WB for firing him or opposing Court's decision too much would also likely end his career permanently, and cause studios to blacklist him. It's a "choosing the lesser of two evils" type of situation. After watching this judgement i fear he might even lose the actual case as well. In any case, i didn't watched the last film in theatre, i was going to watch this one but after reading so much about this case i don't think i will, so it's better i stop here :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

It will continue, sadly.

It will continue, sadly.

The burden of proof was on Depp to prove what they wrote was wrong,

Nope
    "News Group relied on a legal defence of truth, with the civil burden of proof on it to show that the claim was substantially accurate on the balance of probabilities."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depp_v_News_Group_Newspapers_Ltd

"Defamation law is slightly different between England and Scotland but, in general terms, the onus is on the party who is accused of damaging someone's reputation to defend the words they used."
    "Truth: The meaning of the words are factually accurate and cannot be disproved. This is The Sun's defence against Mr Depp - the newspaper has sought to prove that the allegation that Mr Depp is a "wife beater" is justified. In Scotland this defence is called "veritas"."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53558591
    Fantastic Beast 3 movie title:

The Secrets of Dumbledore (Dutch Translation: De Geheimen van Perkamentus)

Also movies release date is pushed back to 3 months earlier. Half April 2022 insteed of July 2022.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/third-fantastic-beasts-sets-title-new-date/
    Warner Bros. Pictures has moved up the release date of its third installment in the “Harry Potter” spin-off franchise.

Now granted the official title of “Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore,” the new film will open globally on April 15th 2022 and sees the return of Jude Law as Dumbledore and Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander.

The film also sees Mads Mikkelsen taking over the role of central villain Gellert Grindelwald, replacing Johnny Depp.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mads is the new Julian Glover: a baddie in the worlds of Bond, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and Marvel (although he was a goodie in Star Wars!) :d
  • oh nice, there's a thread for Harry Potter!
    Books (from what I remember):
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Goblet of Fire
    Half-Blood Prince
    Philosopher's Stone
    Order of the Phoenix
    Deathly Hallows
    Chamber of Secrets
    Quidditch Through The Ages
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Love them all. I need to try and find a copy of the Tales of Beedle the Bard sometime.
    Anyway...
    The films (based on some less hazy memories):
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Order of the Phoenix
    Fantastic Beasts
    Philosopher's Stone
    Deathly Hallows Part 1
    Chamber of Secrets
    Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Goblet of Fire
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
    Half-Blood Prince

the top 6 are solid, the rest...not so much
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,415
    Flashback first followd up (1:41 and later) by some first footage of the new movie (include Mads Mikkelsen). But also in flashbacks footage there show a first glimp of younger Hagrid when voice over talking about introduction. Mabey it mean Hagrid wil be introduced in this one or 4th movie. On Monday there will be fulltrailer of new movie.

• I've been rewatching the Potter films at cineworld. Last weekend they showed the first 4 films and this weekend they're showing the last 4 Potter films.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I've been rewatching the Potter films at cineworld. Last weekend they showed the first 4 films and this weekend they're showing the last 4 Potter films.

I think the first four are significantly better than the last four, so I'd probably stop there... :P
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,102

Hopefully this will be an improvement on the first two films.

I wonder if Tom Riddle will appear in this. The events of the new film are set ten years after The Crimes of Grindlewald.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Mads seems to have a very different interpretation of Grindlewald, than Depp. Will be interesting to see.
  • jobo wrote: »
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I've been rewatching the Potter films at cineworld. Last weekend they showed the first 4 films and this weekend they're showing the last 4 Potter films.

I think the first four are significantly better than the last four, so I'd probably stop there... :P

I agree!
  • I would also agree with you guys, the first 4 films have 'soul', whereas the last four seem dark and dour -moreso than the novels I thought.

Now is a good time to rewatch my Boxset, there are some good films in this series.
  • Potter, LOTR, Home Alone 1&2, OHMSS and Die Hard are ritually watched between december 23rd through to Boxing day
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 7,500
    I would also agree with you guys, the first 4 films have 'soul', whereas the last four seem dark and dour -moreso than the novels I thought.

It really took a nosedive once they appointed David Yates!
    Looking forward to the next installment?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I've done a marathon of these films a few times now, just finished another one (capped with the reunion) and I think these movies are f***ing great.
    I've only read the first three books, I started Goblet but my young self was intimidated by it's size.

Really want to check out the Fantastic Beasts films even though I've heard they're not great.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've done a marathon of these films a few times now, just finished another one (capped with the reunion) and I think these movies are f***ing great.
    I've only read the first three books, I started Goblet but my young self was intimidated by it's size.

Really want to check out the Fantastic Beasts films even though I've heard they're not great.

The books are awesome, a gift that keeps giving. So are the films. I didn't really care for the first FB. I don't like Redmayne to be honest. He does a thing with his mouth like the guy from 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em' that I find repulsive. But the second one is pretty good. It goes back to Hogwarts and all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Yeah I'm intrigued about the Grindelwald stuff, and young Dumbledore.

I didn't realize he was mentioned at all in the mainline series, but I caught his name towards the end this time.

Still not really sure the implications of Grindelwald on the end of the mainline HP series, though. When he was young, he was messing around with the wand guy? Can't really remember.