The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Works of JK Rowling

1234568»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I quite like Harry Potter, I have read all the books, seen all the films, played the video games etc and quite like the lore and the overall stories.

I just can't get on with Fantastic Beasts. The first was OK but the second completely derailed things. Why it had to drag itself so explicitly into the stories of Harry Potter, and not just merely existing in the same world, is a huge misstep to me. Why should I care about Dumbledore and his earlier life? All the stuff with Grindlewald... boring. Newt is a pretty unbearable protagonist and the series drifts further away from it's main conciet... the Fantastic Beasts themselves.

The FB series should have been set up like the Bond films... same core returning cast but a new, individual adventure each film, with a new continent and new creatures. None of this "over-arching world building story " guff.

#rantover
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am a bit underwhelmed by the new trailer and current series of films, they are just not on the level of what proceeded them.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The thing thats concerning me most is like the last two films in the series, there doesn't really seem to be an actual story. Everything seems incredibly random.

Also does anyone else feel that the magic itself feels extremely different to the main franchise and even the last two films?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mallory wrote: »
    I quite like Harry Potter, I have read all the books, seen all the films, played the video games etc and quite like the lore and the overall stories.

I just can't get on with Fantastic Beasts. The first was OK but the second completely derailed things. Why it had to drag itself so explicitly into the stories of Harry Potter, and not just merely existing in the same world, is a huge misstep to me. Why should I care about Dumbledore and his earlier life? All the stuff with Grindlewald... boring. Newt is a pretty unbearable protagonist and the series drifts further away from it's main conciet... the Fantastic Beasts themselves.

The FB series should have been set up like the Bond films... same core returning cast but a new, individual adventure each film, with a new continent and new creatures. None of this "over-arching world building story " guff.

#rantover

That’s disappointing to hear. After marathoning the mainline films several times I was excited to dig into FB because of the young Dumbledore stuff, and the building out of the HP world. Shame these films are missing the mark.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,416
    In The Netherlands 3th Fantastic Beast movie opens with $2,272,079 (134 screens). A litle bit les then first movie in 2016 (Who did almoost 2,4 with 131 screens), but opens better then The Batman (1,9 with 128 screens).

With 142 minutes the movie have even screentime as extented cut of second movie and 10 minutes longer then first. This 3th movie is not released in 3D.

Dutch poster

32917_147462_ps_sd-high.jpg
    JK Rowling has lost the plot. Quite literaly.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,750
    Is this franchise dead yet? I heard Warner Bros. were going to see how this one did before going ahead with the next ones. I mean, they've always been hit or miss critically and they're not the money makers Harry Potter was.

I don't think it's even to do with JK Rowling's views as of late. I remember watching the first one and having people remark how rubbish it was. Perhaps it's just not for me though. I never really liked the Harry Potter books as a child (the ones that I read anyway) and while I'm fond of the first three films the others do nothing for me.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Is this franchise dead yet? I heard Warner Bros. were going to see how this one did before going ahead with the next ones. I mean, they've always been hit or miss critically and they're not the money makers Harry Potter was.

I don't think it's even to do with JK Rowling's views as of late. I remember watching the first one and having people remark how rubbish it was. Perhaps it's just not for me though. I never really liked the Harry Potter books as a child (the ones that I read anyway) and while I'm fond of the first three films the others do nothing for me.

The problem is not her views but that her writing is such a mess. The plot in the last one seems like one of those early idea drafts that hasn't been worked on since.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Really? I have yet to see the film, but I had some measure of hope. I don't care for the first FB but I rather enjoyed the second one. Now I'm worried.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,750
    jobo wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

The problem is not her views but that her writing is such a mess. The plot in the last one seems like one of those early idea drafts that hasn't been worked on since.

Her writing was always a bit strange though. I know people have looked back on some of the underlying ideas of the Harry Potter books and have found them a bit questionable in hindsight, sometimes badly thought out etc. (not uncommon for well regarded authors/books).

My main problem with the books as a kid was that I always found the prose a bit difficult to get along with... not sure what it was, just a sort of bluntness to the writing that I found unenjoyable, if that makes sense (I didn't enjoy reading until I was about thirteen years old anyway and was half forced to read the Harry Potter books earlier as it was assumed they would be of enjoyment to me given how popular they were among that age group. It was only after I picked up the A Series of Unfortunate Events series and later the Ian Fleming Bond novels that I found I enjoyed reading as I was drawn to the prose and stories).
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Really? I have yet to see the film, but I had some measure of hope. I don't care for the first FB but I rather enjoyed the second one. Now I'm worried.

It's a matter of taste obviously. One can like the film as it looks good, is reasonably well made and cast. The action is decent too. The story though makes very little sense.
    jobo wrote: »

It's a matter of taste obviously. One can like the film as it looks good, is reasonably well made and cast. The action is decent too. The story though makes very little sense.

I like the world built by Rowling but I find the stories of most HP and FB films structurally difficult to follow. I can't quite describe what it is. They seem quite well thought-through in the books, but once you start asking why questions, things become problematic.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Dutch Boxoffice:

After 2 weaks (Without 3D option): $3,864,495 and after 3 Weaks: $4,928,509. First movie (with 3D option) after 2 weaks $4,541,761 and after 3: $5,968,566. Second movie (with 3D option) after 2 weaks $5,898,31 and after 3: $7,452,377. The Batman after 2 weaks: $3,332,958, after 3 weaks $4,404,525, after 7 weaks: $5,751,252. After 8: $5,868,087. The Dark Knight in 2008 after 2 weaks: $3,108,438, after 3: $4,509,366 and after 8 weaks: $6,779,162.

So far movie did a better job then The Batman and TDK (and without 3D version of the movie). Overall i think there not be enough ofline promotion in magazine's and stil there is corona.

Overall Boxoffice so far is close to 286 million ($286,298,000) with keeping in mind American release date whas one weak later then Uk date.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Bluray extra's confirmd:
    Extra's: The Dumbledore Family Tree (8:38) Dumbledore Through the Ages (7:23) Magical or Muggle (4:32)The Magic of Hogwarts (5:47) Even More Fantastic Beasts (6:24) Newt in the Wild (4:48) The German Ministry of Magic (4:57) A Dumbledore Duel (4:00) The Candidates Dinner (4:46) Erkstag Jailbreak (4:51) Battle in Bhutan (5:42) 5 Deleted Scenes (7:15) The Secrets of Cursed Child (4:51)
    Source: American BD on Dvdcompare

Boxoffice:

In Netherlands movie did $7,758,956 in 11 weaks without 3D release and on this moment end 2th place in Dutch year list after that Spider-Man movie (who was delayd what make it 2022 movie). Only because Disney removed Strange 2 to soon from cinema, that movie end 3th place with $7,673,097.

Whyle The Netherlands is one of those country's where movie delievers (First movie did $11,875,561) but overall world wide boxoffice disapointed with around 402 million.

Let's hope Warner finaly be wake up and search for another directer. I think there should consider The Lost City of Z directer James Gray who also can help on screenplay. Anthony Boyle who get part in Lost City Of Z and was seen in a theater version of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child can be consider to replace Ezra Miller. Release 4th movie at end of 2024 will be big changle or atleast 5th faster.
    Warner Bros. wants more Harry Potter movies as Fantastic Beasts put on hold
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/warner-bros-wants-more-harry-potter-movies-as-fantastic-beasts-put-on-hold/ar-AA13K9M2

Not surprised, I have still not watched the 3rd Fantastic Beasts film, the reviews put me in no great rush to watch it until it is free or cheap to rent.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/warner-bros-wants-more-harry-potter-movies-as-fantastic-beasts-put-on-hold/ar-AA13K9M2

Not surprised, I have still not watched the 3rd Fantastic Beasts film, the reviews put me in no great rush to watch it until it is free or cheap to rent.

Any particular reason why these films have been such duds for the most part? Seems their box offices have progressively declined and there's not as much love for them as the HP series. Are they merely cash grabs that didn't justify a brand new franchise of their own?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I kind of wanted to watch these movies, I've marathon'd the Harry Potter films twice now and they are a ton of fun, but I've heard the FB movies are just bad. Really muddy scripts that don't know where they're going and make for convoluted stories, is what I've been hearing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Any particular reason why these films have been such duds for the most part? Seems their box offices have progressively declined and there's not as much love for them as the HP series. Are they merely cash grabs that didn't justify a brand new franchise of their own?

While a studio is always looking to turn a healthy profit, I genuinely think that the powers that be did set out to make quality films; unfortunately the characters in Fantastic Beast did not catch on with the public as did the classic characters. I really wanted to like the new series but it fell flat for me. I feel somewhat the same when it comes the Marvel universe; I really enjoyed the films featuring the more well known, established heroes, not so much the lesser known.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 4,416
    More about it:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/wbds-zaslav-wants-more-potter-superman/

A lot wrong things, it was 11 years a go last Harry Potter movie was released. We don't need more Potter movies so long Jk Rowling don't make a sequel novel or made 1-2 prequel novels focus on times around or short before his birth. Like Harry Potter Tom Riddle and The Rise of Who should not be named.

Focus first on Emma Thompson chacter as i like said before. Better it be to stil use Fantastic Beasts as front title in that case or let the front title go but not replace it with Harry Potter. Something that there already can have done with The Secrets of Dumbledore. Simpley name 4th (12th) movie: The Prophecy of Trelawney followed by Tom Riddle and The Rise of Who should not be named Part 1 & 2.. First part tells more about missing things from Harry Potter and The Halfblood Prince novel include and second connected to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

There can use footage as archief footage from Harry Potter The Halfblood Prince movie, some others and also honour Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane. Fyeo actor (Julian Glover) can do voice of Aragog again.
    Finally saw TSOD. It was... okay-ish. Not a big fan. FB is less than half of what HP was. I just cannot get into it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Finally saw TSOD. It was... okay-ish. Not a big fan. FB is less than half of what HP was. I just cannot get into it.

The Fantastic Beasts films would have benefited from following the Bond template, instead of tryig to build a new overarching HP style narrative.
    Mallory wrote: »

The Fantastic Beasts films would have benefited from following the Bond template, instead of tryig to build a new overarching HP style narrative.

I agree completely. A lot of squandered potential, IMO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Their first mistake was getting J.K. to try and write the scripts.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,416
    On 30 December i bought 2 Harry Potter Wizarding World figures each for € 7,99. Draco (from 6th movie i think) from 2019 and Snape released in 2020. Today i bough Dumble Dore from Fantastics Beasts. The back cover credit vijf other ones, but there exist a lot more. I have seen prices of 15, 30 but also around 60 or more.

Later i wil take them out of box, but i thinking how intresting this have to something like that with Bond chacters.
    Since april 21st 2023, a Harry Potter expo is taking place at the Palais des Expositions, Porte de Versailles, in Paris. I intend to go there tomorrow, and I'll tell you all about it. Meanwhile, go there for more information :

https://harrypotter-exposition.fr/
    Gerard wrote: »
    Since april 21st 2023, a Harry Potter expo is taking place at the Palais des Expositions, Porte de Versailles, in Paris. I intend to go there tomorrow, and I'll tell you all about it. Meanwhile, go there for more information :

https://harrypotter-exposition.fr/

Look forward to your thoughts?!!! :-bd
    So, after a few days, here are my thoughts. For starters, I was afraid I couldn't get a ticket at the box office, given that one of my colleagues at work had told me that a lot of people had already bought theirs online, and some dates were already complete, but I had decided to take the chance anyway. So, around two o'clock, I was there, and indeed, there were a lot of people waiting outside to be admitted. But I managed to get my ticket, and after taking my place in line, I at leat managed to step inside the exhibit. First, while having my ticket scanned, I also received a small bracelet, on which I had to put my information (first and last name, House - I chose Ravenclaw -, wand, Patronus -a cat -, and my E-mail), before getting my picture taken (more on that later), and entering the exhibition. So, me, and the people who had managed to enter, followed the directions and visited many places, including the various learning ahlls of Hogwarts, the Forbidden Forest (along with Hagrid's shack), the Ministry of Magic, and other locations. Along the way, the bracelet allowed us to cast spells and do other things, which translated into points for our respective Houses. Along the way, there were various opportunities to have you picture taken (sitting in Hagrid's chair, in the cupboard beneath the stairs, in front of one of the dragons from The Goblet of Fire, on brooms, getting out of Newt Scamander's suitcase, and so on). And yes, I said Newt Scamander, because all parts of the Wizarding World received at least a nod, including The Cursed Child (still not seen in France). And of course, the tour ended with a passage through the merchandising store.

The exhibition was really good, and fans of the series will certainly fancy it. You can even play Quidditch (without brooms). However, there was a moment which I (and many others) didn't like very well. You see, we had to wait our turn to enter Hagrid's shack, and we had just left the Botany room. And we could hear the Mandragoras scream from the Forbidden Forest. For half an hour ! Other sore point : it's expensive. I spent some 100 € in toatl : 25 € for the ticket, 25 € for the picture (remember, it had been taken at the beginning with me standing in front of a white wall, and they added the background afterwards -for me, it was a dragon), and 50 ,e of merchandising (a cap wearing the Ravenclaw crest, a bottle of Butterbeer and a bag of butterbeer flavored chewing candies). Still, an interesting experience all in all. But maybe next time there's an exhibition like that, I'll try to get my ticket in advance, just as I do with my theatre tickets. Because, there really was a lot of people there (and I've heard that in a few days, no less than 150 000 tickets had been sold), some having come wearing Hogwarts robes (mostly children, but there were also teenagers).

To end that report, Here's a small YouTube clip about it :

Hadn’t watched the movies in years, just revisited them all. They are loads of fun, and provided me with a ton of great childhood memories. I grew up with fundamentalist Christian parents that originally forbid my siblings and I from reading or watching any HP, but eventually they got a little softer and all of us enjoyed the series. I read all the books as well. Rowling’s personal prejudices are a shame, but much like with Ian Fleming’s Bond novels, I don’t let that get in the way of separating and enjoying the art. My own film ranking:

1. Deathly Hallows Part 2
    2. Prisoner of Azkaban
    3. Goblet of Fire
    4. Sorcerer’s Stone
    5. Half-Blood Prince
    6. Order of the Phoenix
    7. Chamber of Secrets
    8. Deathly Hallows Part 1