Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,318
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Nobody made consensus back in 2004. Not Owen, not anyone. I'm not even sure Owen was that popular a prospect. That's what made that time so interesting: an interesting pool of potential candidates, but no heir apparent. And I will also add that Turner does not make consensus now.

Depends on your definition of consensus within this little democracy we call mi6community. A while ago a lot of members voted and Turner won by a landslide, so in a way a consensus I'd argue.

Jack O’Connell could batter Aidan Turner in a fight.

IF Jack could only hit Turner, that is. He does look like a cute miniature bouncer. Turner looks like Bond.

tumblr_lmrd3pwyeZ1qlroiio1_500.gif

Also, please no more Fukunaga. He's a little too woke for me these days.

Bring back the man, the myth Martin Campbell. One last time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nobody made consensus back in 2004. Not Owen, not anyone. I'm not even sure Owen was that popular a prospect. That's what made that time so interesting: an interesting pool of potential candidates, but no heir apparent. And I will also add that Turner does not make consensus now.

Depends on your definition of consensus within this little democracy we call mi6community. A while ago a lot of members voted and Turner won by a landslide, so in a way a consensus I'd argue.

Jack O’Connell could batter Aidan Turner in a fight.

Maybe that should be added as an extra way of auditioning. All the actors that want the job, have to fight for it, last man standing is hired.

Haha that would be great. Could be an TV special. Get Graham Norton or someone to host it. Barbara and Micheal sat ringside. At the end Daniel Craig could come out to present the winner with a tuxedo. And didn’t Lazenby win the role by breaking a stuntman’s nose? So, there’s prescedent there.

He did, indeed. I think we're on to something here. But lets not have it on the PaedBC, how about ITV? Of course, it wouldn't be hosted by Graham Norton, but I could live with that.
    mtm wrote: »
    Although Lewis Collins lost it by doing something similar!

Did he? I've heard that he made a quip about 'The Godfather', to Cubby's face. But I didn't know about anything else that happened. Collins would have made a fine Bond, Who Dares Wins showed that.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In my mind Lewis Collins could've been a great Bond. Although if he did succeed Roger Moore, then we wouldn't have got Timothy Dalton.
    Collins did exude all the right Bondian requirements. It just wasn't to be. Who Dares Wins did seem like the film to showcase his talents as a potential Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,918
    Apparently, Barbara Broccoli says the next guy to play Bond 'should be British' - but Turner's Irish, so...does that mean he's not even in the running? Surely they wouldn't be that strict if the best man for the job just happened to be born on the other side of the Irish Sea? Good job they didn't have a Brits-only rule in the past, eh?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would think that actors from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland would qualify.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would think that actors from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland would qualify.

And British Columbia.

Yes, I'd hope so. And Ireland is, geographically, one of the British Isles. I wouldn't want to risk telling tell someone from the Republic of Ireland that they're 'British', though. It's caused a bit of trouble in the past...
    Venutius wrote: »

Yes, I'd hope so. And Ireland is, geographically, one of the British Isles. I wouldn't want to risk telling tell someone from the Republic of Ireland that they're 'British', though. It's caused a bit of trouble in the past...

Dont even go there!!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Barbra Broccoli:

“In fact, she has little interest in discussing the next Bond. “I want to let this film play and really celebrate Daniel’s incredible achievement that he has done over 16 years,” she says. “People always ask, ‘Oh, who’s the next James Bond?’ It’s like asking a bride as she’s going up to the altar who’s her next husband going to be. I don’t really want to think about who is going to be the next person until I absolutely have to.”’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/barbara-broccoli-profile-james-bond-1235058174/

She’s been pretty clear and consistent on her stance re: films exploring the Bond universe without Bond (it’d be like making Hamlet without Hamlet); she’s also been consistent in not going the TV route.

This article reveals a very witty, humble and savvy producer. Whether one agrees with her vision or not, she’s a trailblazer and a respected member of the film industry.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

Dont even go there!!!!
    Indeed!

And British Columbia.

Actually, if (and only if and it's a big if) a Canadian actor can have a natural British accent, I'd be happy for him to get the role.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My choices:
    1) Timothy Dalton de-aged. Okay, you don't like the idea, fine.
    2) Clive Owen. Wow, missed the bus on that by going with Craig.
    3) Jason Isaacs. Too late, Trek has him.
    4) How about an actor who is moving into just the right age now? HENRY flucking floggin' CAVILL?????????

I love Dalton deaged!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    In my mind Lewis Collins could've been a great Bond. Although if he did succeed Roger Moore, then we wouldn't have got Timothy Dalton.
    Collins did exude all the right Bondian requirements. It just wasn't to be. Who Dares Wins did seem like the film to showcase his talents as a potential Bond.

Yeah I think he would have made a fine Bond. He played a couple of Bond-alikes (I think I'm thinking of Wild Geese 2, which is even more 007-lite than Who Dares Wins) and he does a really quite excellent job to be honest.

I was lukewarm about the idea of Collins as Bond, but I can see the potential a bit more now than I could then - mind you, at the time I was far more fearful that they'd cast Ian Ogilvy as a mini-Moore! ;)
    Collins' own account from the '80s suggests that he didn't get too far: 'I was in Cubby Broccoli's office for five minutes, but it was really over for me in seconds. I have heard since that he doesn't like me. That's unfair. He's expecting another Connery to walk through the door and there are few of them around. I think he's really shut the door on me. He found me too aggressive. I knew it all - that kind of attitude. Two or three years ago that would be the case, purely because I was nervous and defensive. I felt they were playing the producer bit with fat cigars. When someone walks into their office for the most popular film job in the world, a little actor is bound to put on a few airs.'
    Sounds like he gauged it wrongly and Cubby just wrote him off. Shame.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Does anyone know if Iain Glen was ever considered for Bond? I met him yesterday- good looking guy! Seems to be a decent actor too from what I've since seen. As he's now too old for Bond, I wonder if there might be another part for him in the future...
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 14,816
    QsCat wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Iain Glen was ever considered for Bond? I met him yesterday- good looking guy! Seems to be a decent actor too from what I've since seen. As he's now too old for Bond, I wonder if there might be another part for him in the future...

Too ginger I suspect.

Apparently the French say James Norton is the bookies' favourite: https://m.20minutes.fr/amp/a/3189883
    Any confirmation on that? For those who think Bond has become too emotional, that would certainly be a drastic change. But I'm really not convinced with Norton.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Too ginger I suspect.

Apparently the French say James Norton is the bookies' favourite: https://m.20minutes.fr/amp/a/3189883
    Any confirmation on that? For those who think Bond has become too emotional, that would certainly be a drastic change. But I'm really not convinced with Norton.

I recently looked at what the oddsmakers say and was surprised that Norton was pretty high up on the list I saw. Even more surprised me the inclusion of Clive Standen pretty high on the list, who I don't think I've seen mentioned here.
    taken-clive-standen-01.jpg
    But even though I look at those now and again, I don't really think the odds tell us anything interesting. For something like this they are a mixture of what the oddsmakers see coming in actual bets and them trying to generate headlines that then lead to bets being placed and money spent (just like the papers then take those odds to write articles and round and round they go in a circle). So it's not like there is some genuine insight and even their utility in gauging public opinion has to be severely questioned.
    I mean, the one I saw didn't even have Aidan Turner and I have been told that he is a lock for the role...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes, amazing voice. I think he could have been a big well-known leading man star with the right part.

Too ginger I suspect.

I recently looked at what the oddsmakers say and was surprised that Norton was pretty high up on the list I saw. Even more surprised me the inclusion of Clive Standen pretty high on the list, who I don't think I've seen mentioned here.
    But even though I look at those now and again, I don't really think the odds tell us anything interesting. For something like this they are a mixture of what the oddsmakers see coming in actual bets and them trying to generate headlines that then lead to bets being placed and money spent (just like the papers then take those odds to write articles and round and round they go in a circle). So it's not like there is some genuine insight and even their utility in gauging public opinion has to be severely questioned.
    I mean, the one I saw didn't even have Aidan Turner and I have been told that he is a lock for the role...

I meantioned him and I sadly missed the taken series but from the clips I saw he is who I want.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Like it or not, and this is just a feeling, I think we're headed towards a non-white Bond for the seventh man.
    Like it or not, and this is just a feeling, I think we're headed towards a non-white Bond for the seventh man.

Could be. One thing’s for sure, I am dreading some of the reactions that will transpire if so. Makes the fanbase look bad.

yeah I kind of guessed that too. which is a shame not for any racist reason but because rather then pick the best actor they will pick an actor who has a different skin color solely for that reason.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,918
    Risico007 wrote: »

yeah I kind of guessed that too. which is a shame not for any racist reason but because rather then pick the best actor they will pick an actor who has a different skin color solely for that reason.

They never just ‘pick the best actor’, there are all sorts of criteria as well as that, including where they want to go with the series.
    Casting directors never just pick the best actor, they have to fit the script too. Casting is, by its very nature, always discriminatory in some fashion (unless you’re doing a very esoteric stage production or something).
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837

Do you not think five years of posting photos of Aidan Turner having a fag will have swung it for him? ;)

But yeah, I think so too. This site is going to be unbearable when it happens, but I think when the film comes out, most people will end up looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about. Bond’s race really doesn’t matter in 2021 imo.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,918

Do you not think five years of posting photos of Aidan Turner having a fag will have swung it for him? ;)

But yeah, I think so too. This site is going to be unbearable when it happens, but I think when the film comes out, most people will end up looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Yeah, that is always what happens. I often say it, but if web forums were around in 1972 and you described a list of things which were going to happen in Live and Let And Die, fans would have a total meltdown (and I'm not even referring to anything to do with race). But from here it's hard to even spot a difference between it and the film before.

Anyway, Bond has been black for decades! :D

41MOJI8cdHL._AC_SY355_.jpg

162209394.jpg

2d09b0eebd0143fcd2bac42f54f5fff6.jpg

But yeah, I think so too. This site is going to be unbearable when it happens, but I think when the film comes out, most people will end up looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about. Bond’s race really doesn’t matter in 2021 imo.

I've had to turn down my participation here even with just the release of NTTD; I agree it would be scary here if/when that happens.

Too ginger I suspect.

Clive Standen might have been an interesting choice five or ten years ago. Now he's getting a bit old.

Too ginger I suspect.

Clive Standen might have been an interesting choice five or ten years ago. Now he's getting a bit old.

Nice style though. Love that coat / henley combo.
    While I’d prefer a white Bond for traditions sake, if they have their eye on a non-white actor and truly believe he’s the best option, I’ll have to trust their judgment on it. I can already picture the outrage if that’s the route they decide to go though.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    What's going on with that dude's Prince Charles fingers?