NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 719
    A fairly thorough and highly-enjoyable layman's review of the music in NTTD:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1e1pgq5N7KUYpYjaEXRpNn?si=w1phCENPSS22D2qQz-bz8w&utm_source=copy-linkL
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Is it too soon for Final Ascent to be renamed Missile To The Face?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Venutius wrote: »
    Is it too soon for Final Ascent to be renamed Missile To The Face?

Only if the ladder climbing portion can be called “Snake Eater”
    Remember : it's tomorrow the demo vynil get released. Hope somebody will post the sound online.
    Remember : it's tomorrow the demo vynil get released. Hope somebody will post the sound online.

I didn't know about this release, thanks for the information.

Haven't heard about this. There's a vinyl for Zimmer's demos of the score?
    No, the Billie Eilish demo
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Before hans
    I've made a complete List of the unreleased Soundtrack

- Safin (Released on Stevemazzaro.com) 5:09
    - Secrets 0:46
    - La Tomba di Lynd 1:20
    - I Miss You (Vespers Theme) 0:51
    - Message From an Old Friend (Film Version - Bridge Attack is different) 5:40
    - Heracles 3:48
    - It's Just a Number 0:17
    - Heracles Weaponized 0:37
    - Flight To Felix's Ship & Fighting 3:25
    - It's a Good Life 1:34
    - Definitely The Same Desk 1:40
    - Recovering Obruchev's Data 1:43
    - A New Patient 2:13
    - Nanobots 3:16
    - Blofelds Entry 1:54
    - Analyzing Cyclops' Mechanical Eye 0:55
    - The End of Blofeld 3:06
    - Home (Film Version) 3:41
    - We've located Logan Ash 0:46
    - History of Safin 2:15
    - The End of Logan Ash 4:02
    - One Drop of Tea 1:55
    - Make The World a Better Place 6:47
    - Permission to Launch 2:20
    - Poisoned 1:54
    - His Name is Bond 1:00
    - We Have All the Time in the World 3:12
    - End Credits (Square Escape/Home V.2/What have you done/Back to MI6) 3:00
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    I've made a complete List of the unreleased Soundtrack

- Safin (Released on Stevemazzaro.com) 5:09
    - Secrets 0:46
    - La Tomba di Lynd 1:20
    - I Miss You (Vespers Theme) 0:51
    - Message From an Old Friend (Film Version - Bridge Attack is different) 5:40
    - Heracles 3:48
    - It's Just a Number 0:17
    - Heracles Weaponized 0:37
    - Flight To Felix's Ship & Fighting 3:25
    - It's a Good Life 1:34
    - Definitely The Same Desk 1:40
    - Recovering Obruchev's Data 1:43
    - A New Patient 2:13
    - Nanobots 3:16
    - Blofelds Entry 1:54
    - Analyzing Cyclops' Mechanical Eye 0:55
    - The End of Blofeld 3:06
    - Home (Film Version) 3:41
    - We've located Logan Ash 0:46
    - History of Safin 2:15
    - The End of Logan Ash 4:02
    - One Drop of Tea 1:55
    - Make The World a Better Place 6:47
    - Permission to Launch 2:20
    - Poisoned 1:54
    - His Name is Bond 1:00
    - We Have All the Time in the World 3:12
    - End Credits (Square Escape/Home V.2/What have you done/Back to MI6) 3:00

Legend!
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Message From an Old Friend (Film Version - Bridge Attack is different) 5:40

I remember these synth "alarm sirens" when Bond is surrounded on the bridge. I wish they were on the album.

---

We should add the times of the music on your list to the TRT of the album and get a TRT of all the music on the film (excluding diegetic music).
    If you're like me and can't get enough of the gun barrel music and full-blown version of the James Bond theme, I've made this: https://www.sendspace.com/file/7zamqw

It's an edit of the 'Gun Barrel' track and 'Back To MI6' from the No Time To Die OST. It's not perfect, but elongates the theme a little, which some of you may appreciate :-bd
    If you're like me and can't get enough of the gun barrel music and full-blown version of the James Bond theme, I've made this: https://www.sendspace.com/file/7zamqw

It's an edit of the 'Gun Barrel' track and 'Back To MI6' from the No Time To Die OST. It's not perfect, but elongates the theme a little, which some of you may appreciate :-bd

Good idea, well done!

---

I wish the gunbarrel on the album did not end with those sustained synth notes. I think they are not heard in the film.
    NTTD Gunbarrel without synth ending
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/ed4u1z
    vzok wrote: »
    NTTD Gunbarrel without synth ending
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/ed4u1z

Did you use the end of "Back to MI6"? If so, you are a clever and resourceful man.

I think another potential approach would be to rip the audio from the film, feed a segment containing only the ambient sounds of the opening scene to a noise filter plugin, to get their noise profile, and then use the learned noise profile to filter the ambient sounds of the last bit of the gunbarrel music, as ripped from the film. And then put the whole thing together. Could be worth a try.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I caught 'Superman & Lois' on the telly tonight which has music by Dan Romer and, wow - we really dodged a bullet there! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I caught 'Superman & Lois' on the telly tonight which has music by Dan Romer and, wow - we really dodged a bullet there! :)

Can you tell us a bit more? What didn't you like about it? I don't know Romer's music myself.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The action cues in "I'll be right back" also sounds familiar with "Like a dog chasuing cars" from THE DARK KNIGHT can be found on the soundtrack for BLACK RAIN in 1989 in the scene, when Michael Douglas gets the revolve of his decapitated partner Charlie Vincent (Andy Garcia).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,861
    mattjoes wrote: »

Can you tell us a bit more? What didn't you like about it? I don't know Romer's music myself.

Just incredibly bland US TV stuff, which doesn't even seem to suit what's going on onscreen (and I know in a TV show his stuff may have been edited in, but you'd think he'd have scored the pilot) and doesn't lift the material at all. There's a theme apparently, but I didn't notice it.
    I see. If that's the case, and if that is his usual style of music, it is interesting that they hired him for Bond in the first place.

Just incredibly bland US TV stuff, which doesn't even seem to suit what's going on onscreen (and I know in a TV show his stuff may have been edited in, but you'd think he'd have scored the pilot) and doesn't lift the material at all. There's a theme apparently, but I didn't notice it.

I watched the entire first season as well (big Superman fan) with an ear constantly focused on Romer's work. I was interested by the sound he created for Superman's world, but yes, it all seemed like a major step away from the cinematic impact we're used to from the music of Williams and Zimmer behind the character.

The "theme" I think they're referring to is more of a brief motif, and Romer/the show purposely (?) never allows it to really have a glorious Superman-defining moment beyond the 5-second opening title card with the 'S' shield.

I wasn't disappointed by his work, and I thought it brought a certain sense of ambience to Superman's music that we haven't seen embraced quite as much in the past, but overall I can't say it was very memorable or impactful.
    I see. If that's the case, and if that is his usual style of music, it is interesting that they hired him for Bond in the first place.

I was similarly surprised at the time. I figured, they're just rolling the dice on him and trusting Fukunaga. Maybe it was even a favour returned to CJF in exchange for something else he conceded on the project. (Or "Hey, Sam Mendes got to bring in his owncomposer, why can't I?").

I really poured through Romer's work when he was first brought on B25, and aside from a few brief action moments in the FarCry game, I honestly didn't hear much (anything?) else that felt suited to Bond. Zimmer's arrival was such a relief to me, in part because I was already such a massive fan. And the eventual score we got...well, I can't imagine anything else there honestly. Just adore it.

So I'm sad for Romer that he missed the opportunity -- seems like a terrific guy. But I wouldn't trade the Zimmer NTTD score for anything. Just a perfect musical finale to James Bond, at least, as far as my own tastes in 007 scores are concerned.

• astansillastansill London
    It would be really interesting to hear Dan Romer’s NTTD attempt. Hope a demo leaks at some point - very unlikely though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Did he do any work on it? I don't know.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I think he had done some rough sketches and suites, to give a general mood for the film, themes etc.

I would suspect, had he have ultimately done the score, we wouldnt have the Eilish song in the film in the way it is used with Zimmer.
    Mallory wrote: »

I think he had done some rough sketches and suites, to give a general mood for the film, themes etc.

I assume so too. There must have been something done for them to base the replacement off of.

• I thought it was an enjoyable score, but don't think it comes close to most of Barry's work. I could hear quite a bit of the Nolan trilogy during some moments. "The Factory" sounded like something from Batman Begins.
  • astansillastansill London
    I thought it was an enjoyable score, but don't think it comes close to most of Barry's work. I could hear quite a bit of the Nolan trilogy during some moments. "The Factory" sounded like something from Batman Begins.

I’d agree, apart from the obvious OHMSS elements it wasn’t very Barry at all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I thought it was an enjoyable score, but don't think it comes close to most of Barry's work. I could hear quite a bit of the Nolan trilogy during some moments. "The Factory" sounded like something from Batman Begins.

Definitely. I'll Be Right Back also has elements that are a lot like the Batman trilogy, but it's still one of my favourite tracks in the film.
  • I thought it was an enjoyable score, but don't think it comes close to most of Barry's work. I could hear quite a bit of the Nolan trilogy during some moments. "The Factory" sounded like something from Batman Begins.

Definitely. I'll Be Right Back also has elements that are a lot like the Batman trilogy, but it's still one of my favourite tracks in the film.

I also enjoy that track. But you're right. It does sound right out of the trilogy.

No Time to Die's score has that distinct Zimmer sound, and I could have known right away without even seeing his name.