NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• This entire week should give it a bit of booster....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Minion wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Those people are nothing more than extremely dumb, ignorant, insecure, racist and conspiracy theorists c.

lol

Can't think of one moment in that film that was racist. Black Felix, Black MoneyPenny, Black 00-agent Nomi....maybe Bond shouldn't have showered outside among the tropical trees, that made it look like jungle fever or something.

People who thinks NTTD is an attempt to attack the white western culture are just (white) racist morons to me.
    People who thinks NTTD is an attempt to attack the masculinity of Bond are just insecure silly little men.
    Overall, people writing those silly “””reviews””” are just so dumb it’s not even worth the attention.
    They are probably upset that Q is gay as well.

EDIT: I don’t get the “lol”.

She’s laughing at the absurdity of their “reviews”.

I see. It sounded like she was laughing at my post but it didn’t make sense since I’m totally against those kind of people spreading ignorance and hate…

In the meantime anyway MGM has spoken. Repost from another thread.

Unnamed and uninformed sources suggesting the film will lose money are categorically unfounded and put more simply, not true,” MGM spokesperson said in a statement. “The film has far exceeded our theatrical estimates in this timeframe, becoming the highest grossing Hollywood film in the international marketplace and passing ‘F9’ to become the highest grossing Hollywood film since the pandemic. With the PVOD release of the film already doing stellar home viewing business, all while continuing to hold well theatrically, ‘No Time To Die’ will earn a profit for MGM, both as an individual film title and as part of MGM’s incredible library.

MGM get to keep closer to 80% of the money from VOD.
    Those “sources” have a name anyway… the MI6HQ!!! :D

But but but... the film needs three trillion dollars paid out in bars of gold from Goldfinger's personal unradiated supply in order to turn a profit!
    It’s true! MI6HQ said so!

Maybe now its time you let this go.

MI6HQ reported responsibly and honestly, and if the film makes a profit thanks to VOD then that's great and we will all celebrate.

When an apology article is issued I’ll consider it,

Oh wow. You want us to tuck you in too, tonight?

[quote="Minion;c-1240271but until then a lot of mayhem was spread through that attempt at amateur accounting. All of a sudden everywhere was re-reporting the impossible figures NTTD needed to reach to turn a profit and it became fuel for trolls. It’s not fair to ask me to drop it when nothing has been done by this website to rectify their shoddy reporting. I know based on the Twitter feed this site loves to get down on EON, but that article was a mistake and made purely for clickbait.[/quote]

Let's not be too dramatic about this, shall we? "A lot of mayhem", "fuel for trolls"? You're overestimating how much people care, if at all. But don't worry, MI6 will continue to report the figures as they come in and draw the proper conclusions, I'm sure.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MI6 will continue to report the figures as they come in and draw the proper conclusions, I'm sure.

Not sure about that. :D
    This entire week should give it a bit of booster....

It's projected to hit $158M by the end of the weekend.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,165
    @DarthDimi, you're going against what @NicNac asked earlier and your tone isn't very kind for someone who represents this site either. My point was MI6HQ shouldn't have put itself out there if it wasn't prepared for public scrutiny and a follow up article would be an avenue to save face. That's the last I'll say on the subject.
    Apology? Who give a shit? Seriously?
    I think maybe MI6 are being given a bit too much grief for the article; that being said, I also don't think criticism of it should be stifled. People are entitled to feel however they feel about any MI6 article, after all.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t accept an apology, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for MI6 to be like “oops, our mistake”. If that makes a terrible person for saying that, then hey, that’s your opinion.
  • Matt007 wrote: »

As M said....You know the rules of the game. You've been playing it long enough
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Matt007 wrote: »

A huge deal has been made of that article. So the answer is; quite a lot of people, apparently.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    It's hard for me to understand really why people care about this stuff so much. I understand that the financial success of the Bond films mean more Bond films, but... the drama...
    It reminds me of sports fans, you want your team to win so bad, because somehow that reflects on you? Or something?
    Watch the movies / read the books!
    It's hard for me to understand really why people care about this stuff so much. I understand that the financial success of the Bond films mean more Bond films, but... the drama...
    Focus on the art itself!

Indeed. It is especially strange since many of the most celebrated Bond films were made on relatively low budgets.
    Jimjambond wrote: »

They’re just quoting Variety and their made up clickbait article.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Okay, cool. Would have expected The Times of all newspapers to be better informed, which is why I even bothered to post it.

Okay, cool. Would have expected The Times of all newspapers to be better informed, which is why I even bothered to post it.

Yeah I’m expecting a lot of upcoming new articles quoting Variety. Deadline already did one… it’s a good story, even if false.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I don’t accept an apology, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for MI6 to be like “oops, our mistake”. If that makes a terrible person for saying that, then hey, that’s your opinion.

NTTD will also make about 60% more money than MI6 HQ predicted, and more than 40% more than their most optimistic forecast. If someone makes absolutely terrible predictions like that and never follows up, it's not a great look.
    The problem with the MI6HQ article, titled Risky Business, is that they present their calculations with that $918M break even point as facts. That’s the thing. You can’t present as facts pure speculation, especially if it’s such an amateurish speculation, since they didn’t even bothered considering the money MGM deducts from product placement, partnerships and tax incentives.

One thing I’m curious and perhaps someone knows something about it is how much EoN’s gets? Their profit is based mostly on the theatrical performance, I suppose.

This is the problem with Variety: they're a glorified Daily Mail type of publication half the time (ridiculous clickbait, poor research) but they're treated with the utmost seriousness for some reason, so whenever they publish something, it snowballs.

This is the problem with Variety: they're a glorified Daily Mail type of publication half the time (ridiculous clickbait, poor research) but they're treated with the utmost seriousness for some reason, so whenever they publish something, it snowballs.

Indeed, their source here is almost certainly the MI6 article or one of the the clickbait pieces it birthed. As they say, a lie can get halfway round the world before the truth gets its boots on!

Agreed.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Again though. Unless people here work for Eon or are friends with Barbara, why so worked up? An article on a fan site written by amateurs was taken as gospel

I think some people seem to they’re personal custodians of bonds legacy, rather than merely paying customers. Or take it personally that NTTD has some hearsay article written about it. Again. Who gives a shit. Not me. I’m just a fan. I’m more bothered that they killed James Bond
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m more bothered that they killed James Bond

Who cares? It’s make believe.
    Again though. Unless people here work for Eon or are friends with Barbara, why so worked up? An article on a fan site written by amateurs was taken as gospel

I think some people seem to they’re personal custodians of bonds legacy, rather than merely paying customers. Or take it personally that NTTD has some hearsay article written about it. Again. Who gives a shit. Not me. I’m just a fan. I’m more bothered that they killed James Bond

Do you think it's strange that people in the NTTD box office thread are discussing an article about the financial prospects of NTTD? One written by the website hosting this very forum?

Odd
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that?
    In fact Bond's worldwide box office is way more healthy than that of most of the other big budget movies released thus year.
    But people will remember headlines like "Bond loses money!". Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.

Do you think it's strange that people in the NTTD box office thread are discussing an article about the financial prospects of NTTD? One written by the website hosting this very forum?

Odd

Sorry I think my point went over your head.

Odd.

I think it’s odd that people who are unconnected or unaffected with the financial outcome of the film are asking for an apology from mi6.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that?
    In fact Bond's worldwide box office is way more healthy than that of most of the other big budget movies released thus year.
    But people will remember headlines like "Bond loses money!". Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.

Dune has already broken even, and my rewatch last night in IMAX was a packed cinema. Every last seat sold out.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Dune has already broken even, and my rewatch last night in IMAX was a packed cinema. Every last seat sold out.

Do you go to the cinema every day? ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Despite my above comment, I am bitter towards Dune because it kicked NTTD out of IMAX... ;)
    If you think about it, even without taking into accounts the two biggest markets on the planet - North America and China - Bond with $520M (and counting) grossed more than any other film over the last two years, except for F9. That’s quite an achievement.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    It you think about it, even without taking into accounts the two biggest markets on the planet - North America and China - Bond with $520M (and counting) grossed more than any other film over the last two years, except for F9. That’s quite an achievement.

It is, but then the haters will claim NTTD loses $200m in spite of that achievement