Logo fonts

13»

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    No, you can't vectorize in Photoshop.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    You can vectorize in Illustrator though.
    Correct.
  • Dr_No_1962_James_Bond_title_sequence.20120708.youtube.JamesBondTitles.wD-YR-3KmyE.f136.frame.crop.png?dl=1

DrNO.letters_IanFlemingsDrNO.rev15.png?dl=1

I have come up with an approximation of a frame from the Dr. No title sequence, which I find has aged very well indeed. I had the devil of a time locating close enough fonts. I wrote an imagemagick script - sadly, my Illustrator skills are sub-subpar - which generates the image on a black background raster image 4000x4000px. I will adjust the script replacing black with transparent so I can make myself a t-shirt.

Fonts used are Source Sans Pro Bold for IAN FLEMING’S, Dorado Headline for the D and N, Bert Sans Black for the r, Envisage W01 Regular for the dot, and Soolidium for the (lowercase, embiggened) O. Each large letter, and the dot, have unique point sizes; I suspect the original logo was pasted up by hand. My version is not identical, but I think close enough to pass casual inspection.

The colors and resolution of the source image are low-quality (youtube frame grab) and I don't have access to my DVD version, so I used bog standard imagemagick colors White, Purple, and DarkRed.

Would you like me to help?
  • Would you like me to help?

With Illustrator you mean? I don't have any Adobe CS suite software... budget is low... I use free open source software tools usually. But if you have how-to tips, I'm all ears, the FOSS equivalent (Inkscape) uses the same general concepts...
  • Thanks for the heads-up! Imagemagick is very powerful for raster images, all I have to do is replace "Black" with "None". My method, although very clunky, can be used to scale up, it's sufficient to increase the font pointsizes and pixel offsets by the same ratio. What I really want is what you do in Illustrator, to edit a vector image.

For fine-tuned control when rasterizing an SVG file, I use the Gnome project's rsvg-convert utility, for example:
    $ rsvg-convert --dpi-x=90 --dpi-y=90 --width=1024 --format=png --keep-aspect-ratio rounded_bold_logo_bw.svg --output rounded_bold_logo_bw.png

I'm going to try Inkscape again, I am super familiar now with this image. I was reading the Inkscape manual yesterday and it seems possible to import individual letters and adjust the vectors manually. I have always been interested in typography and for many years wanted to design a whole font, perhaps this little project will teach me some new skills.
    What would you like done? Perhaps we could work together.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    uJCqpg3.jpg

Does anyone know which fonts are used in the Queens Club sign from Dr No?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not sure, some type of gothic font. If it's for making the sign, I would get a 4k screenshot and clean that up.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    uJCqpg3.jpg

Does anyone know which fonts are used in the Queens Club sign from Dr No?

@PropertyOfALady might know. He's our fonts expert.
    I'm afraid I do not know.
    I'm afraid I do not know.

Darn. It was worth a try. :)
    I remember trying to find this font years ago, before cleaning up the image to use on a business card.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Maybe this is unhelpful/obvious, but it does seem quite close to the standard Old English Text MT:
    259596280_236032741955044_4208720258740296545_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=CpQPo11RZKkAX9YNIUo&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&oh=ac1d3854ef5b94c29781e0d3606f9925&oe=619EEF30

The capital letters are different enough, but quite a few similarities otherwise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looks like a gothic style font. You can probably find a close approximation of it here.
    https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401&page=1&text=Queen's+Club
    QBranch wrote: »
    Not sure, some type of gothic font. If it's for making the sign, I would get a 4k screenshot and clean that up.

If anyone has a 4K version a screencap would be most helpful. Thanks!
    Murdock wrote: »
    Looks like a gothic style font. You can probably find a close approximation of it here.
    https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401&page=1&text=Queen's+Club

Thanks, I will look through those. With a clearer screencap, I should be able to make a custom version from some of those.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have seen that font on the logo of several newsapers that started out in the 19th century.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I just realized Craig’s last three outings use the same font for the title sequences.
    Do you guys know what the name of the font is?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »
    I just realized Craig’s last three outings use the same font for the title sequences.
    Century Gothic if I’m not mistaken.
    Mate, I'll sort it out for you after work.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    jake24 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Century Gothic if I’m not mistaken.

Thanks!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think also that it's been hand-painted and isn't really a font at all; it'll just be a case of finding the closest approximation.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,729
    I have seen that font on the logo of several newsapers that started out in the 19th century.

Yes, a lot of old German books and newspapers seem to have that kind of genetic Gothic font. You know the books where the footnotes take up more of the page than the actual text itself?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 17,241
    mtm wrote: »
    I think also that it's been hand-painted and isn't really a font at all; it'll just be a case of finding the closest approximation.

This might indeed be the case. The capital C has a decorative curl dropping below the baseline, which I couldn't find in many other blackletter fonts; the only font I can find with a similar-ish detail, is Blackletter 686, but otherwise it's not very similar to the type used on the sign.

It might also be a font, but one that hasn't got a digital release.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I was also going to say it's hand-painted as calligraphy.

Working out the closest match it's possible to take a similar letter of the font style as an image, no background, lock aspect ratio, and adjust height or width to best overlay the target. And in this case maybe overlay extra lines where needed.

Also this was just a standalone sign. I note some movie posters create their own letter style for which no font existed at the time. Still there are ways to approximate them if a source never created a similar enough doppelgänger for it.

Exactly, all those signs were hand-painted back then, through to the 70s films.

@Red_Snow PM sent.

@Red_Snow PM sent.

Thanks mate!