Logo fonts

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I guess I'm not a nerd!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    We're all nerds here, @PropertyOfALady.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Does anyone which font they used for the 'Bond 25' banner?
    I would go with Town 70 Accent Bold 1 for the Bond and a slightly modified Social Gothic Demibold for the 25.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2019 Posts: 45,489
    I'll look tomorrow.

Thank you Property, for investigating. I'm not turning up much in my own inquiries.. I'm obsessed with movie title fonts and they would be very useful in a personal project.

@DikkoHenderson and others:

My work has turned up the following. Please note if I'm not totally sure that a font is what I think, I'll get a close match and it will be noted as close.

Dr. No - Monotype Grotesque for credits and Envisage (an almost exact match) for Dr. NO logo
    FRWL – News Gothic
    GF – News Gothic
    TB - Franklin Gothic
    YOLT – Plathorn Condensed OR Teen (VERY CLOSE)
    OHMSS – ITC Franklin Gothic
    DAF – Futura
    LALD - Neue Haas Grotesk
    TMWTGG – Helvetica
    TSWLM – Helvetica
    MR – Helvetica
    FYEO – Helvetica Bold
    OP – Helvetica (A close font for the United Artists Presents title card is “Borrego”)
    AVTAK – Helvetica
    TLD – Helvetica
    LTK – Helvetica Bold
    GE – Helvetica
    TND – Helvetica Light
    TWINE – Helvetica
    DAD – Helvetica
    CR – Futura
    QoS – Custom – See https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=7199
    SF – ITC Avant Garde
    SP – ITC Avant Garde

@PropertyOfALady , you can add Futura Black for NTTD to that list now.

Or to this one
    Murdock wrote: »
    This was the image in question. Credit to whoever originally posted it.
    eMkP1Il.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first oo7 logo font was designed by John Dee, symbolizing a lorgnette, and it was how he signed his reports to Queen Elizabeth. Meaning "for your eyes only".
    Cd_5IPqWIAAAvTF.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I know it's been mentioned here before but I can't seem to find where but what is this font used for the QOS, SP and NTTD posters?

H7dQL4B.png?1
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    LAt3YHM.png
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I know but I meant the font below each poster that has the release date. The font I posted above.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,280
    I know it's been mentioned here before but I can't seem to find where but what is this font used for the QOS, SP and NTTD posters?

H7dQL4B.png?1

@Murdoc It looks to be Stainless Extended. More here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I know but I meant the font below each poster that has the release date. The font I posted above.

I get you, I am not sure about the release date font
    Thanks @Torgeirtrap, that's the one! :-bd
    Thanks @Torgeirtrap, that's the one! :-bd

No problem! Fonts in Use is a great resource btw; I often use it myself.

The Stainless font family is quite expensive by the looks of it. I think all fonts from Font Bureau are.
    ______

And for future reference for anyone who needs it; the release date font (April 2020), is Futura. More here.
    Is there a site where you can find the NTTD logo and the other logos displayed on the teaser poster (UA, Universal, MGM) in vector format?
    You might try Brands of the World or Seeklogo.
    You might try Brands of the World or Seeklogo.

Ended up using Brands of the World, but the logos you could download from there were far from perfect, unfortunately.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,675

Oh, I'm long since finished with what I was working on, so it doesn't matter now anyway – but thanks for the help! Some of the logos on those sites were a bit wonky, so you had to adjust a few lines here and there. Not a big deal really.
    And I actually made the No Time to Die logo.
    You work at Empire Design, @PropertyOfALady?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Great thread this: it took me ages to work out it was Romana for A View To A Kill a few months ago- I wish I'd found this thread! :)

For finding vector logos it's an old trick you probably know, but I usually find that you can get lucky if you search the net for pdfs made by the company you're after and with any luck they've made the pdf featuring a vector logo you can lift out. With movie company logos that may be harder though.

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant I put No Time to Die in vector. No I don't work there. I wish I did. :D

• edited August 2020 Posts: 17,280
    mtm wrote: »
    Great thread this: it took me ages to work out it was Romana for A View To A Kill a few months ago- I wish I'd found this thread! :)

For finding vector logos it's an old trick you probably know, but I usually find that you can get lucky if you search the net for pdfs made by the company you're after and with any luck they've made the pdf featuring a vector logo you can lift out. With movie company logos that may be harder though.

Google searches for PDF's is definitely an option! :-) I've had no luck with movie company logos, but it's not like it's something I search for.

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant I put No Time to Die in vector. No I don't work there. I wish I did. :D

I see! I think many of us wish we worked at Empire Design, haha! :D

I don't know if I downloaded the logo file you made, @PropertyOfALady. The one I downloaded was alright, but it had a few uneven lines here and there. In the end I actually purchased the font used for the NTTD logo, and made the necessary adjustments from there. The original font is quite nice, so I hope I get the chance to use it again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another tip is that usually you can google for the font you're after with .otf at the end and you'll often be able to download it somewhere for free! :D

But yes you're right: the logo isn't the same as the font, adjustments do have to be made.
    Another tip is that usually you can google for the font you're after with .otf at the end and you'll often be able to download it somewhere for free! :D

But yes you're right: the logo isn't the same as the font, adjustments do have to be made.

I've…ahem…done that a few times too…

Fonts In Use is a great resource for fonts used in various media (and how they've been altered too). There are own entries for the Bond films: GE, TND, TWINE, SP and NTTD. A search for "James Bond" will give you information about a few book covers as well!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    If you guys are using photoshop, you'll never have to look for vectors or purchase anything, I'll show you all the tricks to get around that.
    QBranch wrote: »
    If you guys are using photoshop, you'll never have to look for vectors or purchase anything, I'll show you all the tricks to get around that.

I try to use vector as much as possible (it's an occupational thing), even when it's just for fun. But when in need, PS is also an option. How do you get around not using vector, @QBranch?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,951

Fonts In Use is a great resource for fonts used in various media (and how they've been altered too). There are own entries for the Bond films: GE, TND, TWINE, SP and NTTD. A search for "James Bond" will give you information about a few book covers as well!

Great, thank you!

Have you seen that photoshop actually has a font identifier built into it now? I haven’t tried it much yet though.
    @Torgeirtrap I use the vectors that are in photoshop, shapes fonts etc., but have never had to look for vector logos online.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding something here. You're using vector logos because they have no background attached, is that correct?

Great, thank you!

Have you seen that photoshop actually has a font identifier built into it now? I haven’t tried it much yet though.

No, that's new to me, I'll have to check that out! Thanks for letting me know :-)
    @Torgeirtrap I use the vectors that are in photoshop, shapes fonts etc., but have never had to look for vector logos online.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding something here. You're using vector logos because they have no background attached, is that correct?

@QBranch So if needed, you vectorise logos in Photoshop?

I always use vector logos, not only because they have no background attached, but because the fact that they contain points, curves and lines as opposed to raster graphics that's pixels based. That means I can scale the logo up or down as much as you want without losing quality. It's also easily editable (I use Illustrator for almost everything vector based), and the file sizes are small.
    I understand you'd need to use vectors for commercial work. I don't think you can vectorize in photoshop. Personally I've never needed them for making fan art and such, when you can just download any hi-res pixel logo with a black or white background and take it into the program, scale it down, and select a layer filter that magically makes the background disappear without losing quality around the edge of the logo.
    I understand you'd need to use vectors for commercial work. I don't think you can vectorize in photoshop. Personally I've never needed them for making fan art and such, when you can just download any hi-res pixel logo with a black or white background and take it into the program, scale it down, and select a layer filter that magically makes the background disappear without losing quality around the edge of the logo.

The only vectorising option I can think of in Photoshop, is this one. I thought this was what you were referring to, sorry!

I use vector logos even for hobby projects; often I make the artwork larger than I need it to be, in case I want to use it for something else than what I originally intended. I usually adjust the size of the artwork and other elements many times by the time I'm finished, so having easily editable objects like vector logos is key.