NTTD Main Titles & Gunbarrel - Designed by Daniel Kleinman (SPOILERS)

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Classic photo no but animated Brosnan? Oh yes. Spectres looked good as well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    SP has the best Craig pose and I absolutely love how Bond becomes a silhouette right after shooting, I’d love to see that become a standard thing for future gun barrels.
    I really think it’s a fantastic gunbarrel. I don’t really mind the text afterwards either, and honestly not too sure why people hate it so much.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,025
    I really think it’s a fantastic gunbarrel. I don’t really mind the text afterwards either, and honestly not too sure why people hate it so much.

I get why, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal to see the gun barrel tweaked in every film. Bond fans can be very conservative about formula. Bringing back the gun barrel to the beginning of the movie wasn’t enough, it needs to be done EXACTLY the way they grew up watching them as kids.

I remember fans taking that gun barrel of SP as a perceived slight against the fans. That Sam Mendes was essentially extending the middle finger at fans for complaining about the lack of gun barrel in the beginning of SF.

Like, okay.
    I suppose. I mean it varied in lots of ways, not the same visual pattern, no wobble, no dot expanding into the scene… and I get that the text is a variation on the pattern which would upset fans of the traditions, but why the text specifically draws so much ire I still don’t really understand.
  • The gun barrel in NTTD is fine, minus the lack of blood. How the film opens is irrelevant there should be the blood coming down. As for the title sequence itself, it's certainly the weakest and my least favourite of all 25 Bond films.
    I hear you about the titles sequence, not very impactful. The PPKs firing and forming the DNA double helix is inspired IMO however.
    I suppose. I mean it varied in lots of ways, not the same visual pattern, no wobble, no dot expanding into the scene… and I get that the text is a variation on the pattern which would upset fans of the traditions, but why the text specifically draws so much ire I still don’t really understand.

Like I said, perceived slights! So many fans take it that personally. After all, look at the reaction to NTTD’s ending!

“Insulting!”

“I feel like I got punched in gut!”

“Why is Barbara Broccoli intentionally destroying her father’s legacy?!”
    That would be quite not nice of Barbara. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

They should repeat that text in the next one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Obviously someone has made a totally trad version, and it's a lot of fun :)

• MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    Dreadfully boring, that old school edit.
  • I really think it’s a fantastic gunbarrel. I don’t really mind the text afterwards either, and honestly not too sure why people hate it so much.

I get why, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal to see the gun barrel tweaked in every film. Bond fans can be very conservative about formula. Bringing back the gun barrel to the beginning of the movie wasn’t enough, it needs to be done EXACTLY the way they grew up watching them as kids.

I tell ya if the next guy's gunbarrel doesn't feature the stunt coordinator walking across in a bowler hat...

I tell ya if the next guy's gunbarrel doesn't feature the stunt coordinator walking across in a bowler hat...

I feel like that doesn't get talked about enough, that the first three gunbarrel sequences are essentially, in the context of the film, us watching... some guy?... shoot at the camera. I mean, it's easy enough to say it in hindsight now that we've had 22 more gunbarrels with Bond as the person in "our" crosshairs, but at the time they made DN-GF, was Simmons actually portraying Bond, or was it just included as a cool image of sorts?
    mtm wrote: »

I like that it even has the old school 1965-1989 animated blood by Binder.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    The gun barrel in NTTD is fine, minus the lack of blood. How the film opens is irrelevant there should be the blood coming down. As for the title sequence itself, it's certainly the weakest and my least favourite of all 25 Bond films.

I would rank it close to the top ten. I especially like the bright colours. How could this be the weakest of the series. Some of Binder's later works are missing the innovation and they were interchangeable, imo. NTTD has many references but still remains fresh, imo. Not the GE quality but still a lot to like for me.
    I also like the gunbarrel with the moving dots. I didn't even realize that the blood was missing the first time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I love what they did with the Universal logo.

I also enjoy the fact Bond is absent from the opening scene. It creates a growing expectation for his appearance. This is only emphasized by placing the gunbarrel at the beginning, where it should be, as it signals we're watching a Bond film, but Bond is nowhere to be seen yet.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like the gunbarrel in NTD. Even from first viewing (I have seen it 3 times in the cinema). It was different, stark, no blood really noticeable, and foreshadows the rest of the film very nicely.

Also, has it been mentioned that Kleinman worked without a script? So of course he would fall back on symbols he knew for sure would work. Also, the DB5 being submerged in water in the title sequence WAS because he was told that would possibly/probably be in the film. But I am glad it was not.

As others stated, the lack of blood is telling us either Bond missed, or Bond himself was shot and that fall back into white is just really good, subtle storytelling.

Dr No dots were GREAT, in my opinion. Not only a nod to Dr No/Safin (who was not fully Dr No in the film, thankfully!) and the Noh mask ... but just as a nod to the very first Bond film. I liked all the references to earlier Bond films; the swimming diver, etc. (esp with the spear gun).

I agree the guns becoming DNA strands was brilliant. Overall, I like the titles just fine. The Trident another good point. AND if many of us find it too much like other titles ... I cannot really blame Kleinman because again, he working WITHOUT a full script. !! Give the man a break. ;)

Someone new for next one? Okay with me. Keep Kleinman and give him a better fleshed out actual script? Okay with me.
  • I enjoyed these titles. They're certainly more basic than those of Skyfall and Spectre, and borrow heavily from the former, but all in all very appropriate for the film and the theme song. I love the opening and closing transitions - simple and stylish at the same time. I'd rank these titles only behind GE, CR, and SF among Kleinman's efforts.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,165
    My only issue is I wish they kept the final line of Eilish’s song. Without it, the tune ends like a damp noodle.
  • I’m working on the full title track so it ends with the final line.

For now enjoy this.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Daniel Kleinman on 25 years of creating 007 title sequences:

https://www.007.com/roll-the-titles/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's great, thank you.
    Maybe not a great thread for this, but I thought this was cool:

On the surface, just another YouTube video about driving a DB5 around, but what interested me was the first 5 seconds:

The dots across the screen stopping for the classic producer credit of old, with that music... got me inappropriately pumped up. Would be cool if they followed a similar template in a future Bond film.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Can anyone clarify the "kaleidoscopic" imagery at the beginning and end of the NTTD titles? The bit with the hands under the ice and then, later, right before the end, the repeating imagery reminiscent of The Andromeda Strain. Is that something to do with replication and nano-stuff?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    zerozero wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify the "kaleidoscopic" imagery at the beginning and end of the NTTD titles? The bit with the hands under the ice and then, later, right before the end, the repeating imagery reminiscent of The Andromeda Strain. Is that something to do with replication and nano-stuff?

It has nothing to do with molecular biology, just the beauty of kaleidoscope imagery.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    zebrafish wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with molecular biology, just the beauty of kaleidoscope imagery.

You have that on good authority do you?

mtm wrote: »

I like that it even has the old school 1965-1989 animated blood by Binder.

Same here. I far prefer the Binder blood anyhow. The blood from the Craig era looks more like strawberry jam to me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited February 2022 Posts: 3,985
    I posted this on another discussion, but took the liberty of posting it here as well. I got talking to a friend of my brother who just so happens to work with Daniel Kleinman. A few days later I received this lovely note and pre-vis storyboards.
    Rather pleased I must say!
    [img][url=https://postimg.cc/nCCP6Cv5[/img]20220201-152052.jpg 20220201-152111.jpg 20220201-152148.jpg 20220201-152220.jpg 20220201-152247.jpg 20220201-152324.jpg 20220201-152343.jpg 20220201-152433.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wow what a lovely gift, how nice of them! Thanks for sharing :)