Bond 26 Title

11214161718

Comments

  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    echo wrote: »
    On Her Majesty's Secret Sausage

    :D
  • Quarterpound of Sausages
  • It's surprisingly difficult to find a fitting Bond movie title. At least, it's a bit easier to find decent one-word titles, compared to longer ones.

    Unfortunately, a lot of interesting titles have already been chosen for other movies. For example, I like the title "Return to Sender", but it was already used for a Rosamund Pike movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 15,081
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    It's surprisingly difficult to find a fitting Bond movie title. At least, it's a bit easier to find decent one-word titles, compared to longer ones.

    Unfortunately, a lot of interesting titles have already been chosen for other movies. For example, I like the title "Return to Sender", but it was already used for a Rosamund Pike movie.

    And an Elvis Presley song of course. 🎶
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 9,174
    'Return To Secret Sender' would make a nice postal-based sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service :D

    I wonder if non-UK (or non Commonwealth perhaps) fans know the slight jokey origins of that title?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    Jailhouse Spectre
  • Posts: 355
    Night Of The Living Dead.
  • mtm wrote: »
    'Return To Secret Sender' would make a nice postal-based sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service :D

    I wonder if non-UK (or non Commonwealth perhaps) fans know the slight jokey origins of that title?

    I don't get the joke on the title (I'm not from UK), but "Return to Secret Sender" sounds good to me. 🙂
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,081
    mtm wrote: »
    'Return To Secret Sender' would make a nice postal-based sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service :D

    I wonder if non-UK (or non Commonwealth perhaps) fans know the slight jokey origins of that title?

    Yes, British Government letters used to come to our house from the Department of Agriculture (and occasionally still do) marked On Her Majesty's Service in bold letters on the top. I noticed that early on as an influence on the Fleming title as it's something I'd seen since childhood. As a title OHMSS continues the Fleming trick of slightly altering well known phrases and terms to create memorable titles, such as with Live and Let Die before it and You Only Live Twice after it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Posts: 368
    "fallsky"
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Posts: 1,457
    NO TIME TO DIET
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Posts: 616
    MSL49 wrote: »
    "fallsky"

    Would make a great follow up to Solace of Quantum.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    Quantum Leap
  • I've a lot to live up to?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 9,174
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    'Return To Secret Sender' would make a nice postal-based sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service :D

    I wonder if non-UK (or non Commonwealth perhaps) fans know the slight jokey origins of that title?

    Yes, British Government letters used to come to our house from the Department of Agriculture (and occasionally still do) marked On Her Majesty's Service in bold letters on the top. I noticed that early on as an influence on the Fleming title as it's something I'd seen since childhood. As a title OHMSS continues the Fleming trick of slightly altering well known phrases and terms to create memorable titles, such as with Live and Let Die before it and You Only Live Twice after it.

    Yes, and to most people I think they knew it as the sign of a tax bill from the Inland Revenue!
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 15,081
    mtm wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    'Return To Secret Sender' would make a nice postal-based sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service :D

    I wonder if non-UK (or non Commonwealth perhaps) fans know the slight jokey origins of that title?

    Yes, British Government letters used to come to our house from the Department of Agriculture (and occasionally still do) marked On Her Majesty's Service in bold letters on the top. I noticed that early on as an influence on the Fleming title as it's something I'd seen since childhood. As a title OHMSS continues the Fleming trick of slightly altering well known phrases and terms to create memorable titles, such as with Live and Let Die before it and You Only Live Twice after it.

    Yes, and to most people I think they knew it as the sign of a tax bill from the Inland Revenue!

    Yes, I'm sure it was used on a lot of official government letters but as we used to farm our land those were the ones I remember seeing most.
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    Posts: 74
    Under the Queen's Peace?
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,081
    Under the Queen's Peace?

    Always. I'm the Member for Queen's Bench.
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    Posts: 74
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Under the Queen's Peace?

    Always. I'm the Member for Queen's Bench.

    Good. Then you see its fleming like resonance AND the legal reference: as in if Bond simply kills a burglar, he has no licence..UNLESS...etc..
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,081
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Under the Queen's Peace?

    Always. I'm the Member for Queen's Bench.

    Good. Then you see its fleming like resonance AND the legal reference: as in if Bond simply kills a burglar, he has no licence..UNLESS...etc..

    Yes, I studied Law at Master's level for two years and am still very interested in it. That's a great username by the way. I still read and collect old Law Reports and Law journals in my spare time.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 3,916
    SilverFace
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    Posts: 74
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Under the Queen's Peace?

    Always. I'm the Member for Queen's Bench.

    Good. Then you see its fleming like resonance AND the legal reference: as in if Bond simply kills a burglar, he has no licence..UNLESS...etc..

    Yes, I studied Law at Master's level for two years and am still very interested in it. That's a great username by the way. I still read and collect old Law Reports and Law journals in my spare time.


    we should have tea sometime so in london. Same general approach as myself; i took masters arbitration but as one can guess from my sporadic posts: forensic enquiry and legal drafting not my strong suit; far prefer the academic approach!

    Bond should go up against lawyers sometime. Some smart arse on a training contract tries to best him but 007 has swotted up on legal obscurity overnight and outdoes them, effortlessly while seducing the senior partner's wife
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 15,081
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Under the Queen's Peace?

    Always. I'm the Member for Queen's Bench.

    Good. Then you see its fleming like resonance AND the legal reference: as in if Bond simply kills a burglar, he has no licence..UNLESS...etc..

    Yes, I studied Law at Master's level for two years and am still very interested in it. That's a great username by the way. I still read and collect old Law Reports and Law journals in my spare time.


    we should have tea sometime so in london. Same general approach as myself; i took masters arbitration but as one can guess from my sporadic posts: forensic enquiry and legal drafting not my strong suit; far prefer the academic approach!

    Bond should go up against lawyers sometime. Some smart arse on a training contract tries to best him but 007 has swotted up on legal obscurity overnight and outdoes them, effortlessly while seducing the senior partner's wife

    That would be great if I'm ever in London, @TheQueensPeace. Unfortunately I live rather further north in the UK. I studied History and English Literature for my undergraduate degree and then did a two year Masters Law conversion course. I like the academic approach to Law too as I never got into practice unfortunately. Still, the interest remains. I try to incorporate a legal approach into my all too infrequent Bond writings whenever I can. I even started a Legal Issues thread here some years ago which you are very welcome to contribute to:

    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/12680/the-legal-issues-and-criminal-justice-discussion-thread/

    Bond up against lawyers sounds intriguing. Perhaps with diplomatic immunity like in Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)* or some other legal ruse or loophole that makes them apparently untouchable. That swotting up on legal obscurity certainly rings true for the literary Bond who read up on his card sharping skills before the bridge game with Sir Hugo Drax in the Moonraker (1955) novel. So maybe one for a future Bond continuation author to look at? It would be something new at least.

    *

  • Posts: 8,944
    Of course as a huge yes fan getting at least a bond title to be the same as a Yes song would be cool though annoying at the same time as they likely won’t use the song in the film but a few more from my favorite band

    Trying to do just one or two from each album
    Beyond and Before
    Survival
    The Prophet
    A venture
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    The Remembering
    The gates of Delirium
    Going for the one
    On the silent wings of freedom
    Machine Messiah
    Tempus fugit
    City of Love
    Final Eyes
    Silent talking
    Miracle of life
    Endless Dream
    New state of Mind
    The solution
    If only you knew
    Spirit of survival
    Time is Time
    Madman at The Screens
    The Game
    The Gift of Love
    The Ice Bridge

    :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 9,174
    John Grant has a song called Black Blizzard, which always seemed slightly Bondy to me.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Posts: 1,725
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Of course as a huge yes fan getting at least a bond title to be the same as a Yes song would be cool though annoying at the same time as they likely won’t use the song in the film but a few more from my favorite band

    Trying to do just one or two from each album
    Beyond and Before
    Survival
    The Prophet
    A venture
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    The Remembering
    The gates of Delirium
    Going for the one
    On the silent wings of freedom
    Machine Messiah
    Tempus fugit
    City of Love
    Final Eyes
    Silent talking
    Miracle of life
    Endless Dream
    New state of Mind
    The solution
    If only you knew
    Spirit of survival
    Time is Time
    Madman at The Screens
    The Game
    The Gift of Love
    The Ice Bridge

    :D

    Wot - no Owner Of A Lonely Heart ?? :) or is that too post-prog Yes prime...

    I would literally give my right leg to see a Bondfilm titled after Paul Simon's track: 'A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)'
  • Posts: 8,944
    AceHole wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Of course as a huge yes fan getting at least a bond title to be the same as a Yes song would be cool though annoying at the same time as they likely won’t use the song in the film but a few more from my favorite band

    Trying to do just one or two from each album
    Beyond and Before
    Survival
    The Prophet
    A venture
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    The Remembering
    The gates of Delirium
    Going for the one
    On the silent wings of freedom
    Machine Messiah
    Tempus fugit
    City of Love
    Final Eyes
    Silent talking
    Miracle of life
    Endless Dream
    New state of Mind
    The solution
    If only you knew
    Spirit of survival
    Time is Time
    Madman at The Screens
    The Game
    The Gift of Love
    The Ice Bridge

    :D

    Wot - no Owner Of A Lonely Heart ?? :) or is that too post-prog Yes prime...

    I would literally give my right leg to see a Bondfilm titled after Paul Simon's track: 'A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)'

    I tried to pick one or two song titles per album and City of Love is on the same album as Owner of a lonely heart a song I honestly like.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Posts: 1,725
    Risico007 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Of course as a huge yes fan getting at least a bond title to be the same as a Yes song would be cool though annoying at the same time as they likely won’t use the song in the film but a few more from my favorite band

    Trying to do just one or two from each album
    Beyond and Before
    Survival
    The Prophet
    A venture
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    The Remembering
    The gates of Delirium
    Going for the one
    On the silent wings of freedom
    Machine Messiah
    Tempus fugit
    City of Love
    Final Eyes
    Silent talking
    Miracle of life
    Endless Dream
    New state of Mind
    The solution
    If only you knew
    Spirit of survival
    Time is Time
    Madman at The Screens
    The Game
    The Gift of Love
    The Ice Bridge

    :D

    Wot - no Owner Of A Lonely Heart ?? :) or is that too post-prog Yes prime...

    I would literally give my right leg to see a Bondfilm titled after Paul Simon's track: 'A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)'

    I tried to pick one or two song titles per album and City of Love is on the same album as Owner of a lonely heart a song I honestly like.

    OK, just that many Yes fans seem to think they sold out their roots with that song ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    From Skyfall With Love
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 11,894
    Phoenix Rising could not be more apt.

Sign In or Register to comment.