NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,000
    I noticed on the week of theatrical release that Amazon’s streaming devices were already heavily promoting NTTD on their home page (as well as other MGM releases) and it wasn’t even VOD ad, it was just pure theatrical advertisement. So even though the purchase hasn’t been finalized, it seems Amazon is already pushing MGM titles in preparation.

YLdzdAL.jpg
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Worth clarifying this PVOD ($19.99 rental) release mooted for next Tuesday is in the US *only*, via MGM. UK and other Universal markets probably closer to December.

In all honesty the surprise here is the 30 day window for PVOD, instead of 45...of imagine the latter will be the absolute earliest the UK gets it (Nov 14). And that EON was happy to do any sort of early Premium VOD.

Then we'll have the physical release and regular priced VOD for Xmas pretty much globally, then any subscription streaming (the first "Pay 1" window - current US deal is Epix and Paramount+, UK is Sky Cinema...or if Amazon purchase goes through by then, maybe Prime Video in some places already) next spring.

And aside from Tenet and M Night's Old, pretty much every film during this period that's had a theatrical exclusive at first, has had this early "premium" release in the US. And to add, as for why this has been kept so low key - the agreements with cinemas that allow MGM to release on PVOD after 30/45 or less days (as opposed to regular VOD/Blu-ray after 90) actually often stipulate that they can't advertise the availability at home very far in advance, so they keep pushing people towards the theatrical release only for as long as possible.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    antovolk wrote: »
    Worth clarifying this PVOD ($19.99 rental) release mooted for next Tuesday is in the US *only*, via MGM. UK and other Universal markets probably closer to December.

In all honesty the surprise here is the 30 day window for PVOD, instead of 45...of imagine the latter will be the absolute earliest the UK gets it (Nov 14). And that EON was happy to do any sort of early Premium VOD.

Exactly. And even if it won’t stream worldwide, it will leak anyway flooding every torrent site of the planet. This is just stupid.
    6 months? It used to be 2 bloody years in some countries. Once the film was out of theaters, you had no way to see it for two years.
    So it will be available on the US only on the MGM Prime Video Channel? Or on Apple TV as well?
    matt_u wrote: »
    So it will be available on the US only on the MGM Prime Video Channel? Or on Apple TV as well?

Everywhere in the US you can rent films (Apple, Google, Amazon, Vudu, Microsoft). $19.99 rental.

The MGM Prime Video channel won't get the film anywhere until end of next year probably (if the Amazon sale doesn't affect it), as other subscription based services have first dibs on it for Q1/2 next year after the physical and regular VOD releases. In the US that's MGM's own Epix and Paramount+, in the UK that's Sky Cinema.

And I don't think it's that stupid, I'd imagine most countries will have the film on VOD by end of this month exactly for piracy reasons. If EON's given the green light to have a 30 day PVOD stateside then other countries on a similar timeline is feasible, just a question of convincing cinema owners...which will probably say yes given how long they've been waiting for the film. And given the week early international cinema release the gap between US and elsewhere is shorter too
    Point is once you have the film out it’s gonna leak online a couple of hours after release, so a US only VOD release so early while the film is still doing fine overseas (without mentioning Australia) is stupid. All the world will be able to torrent it and watch NTTD in 4K for free, without even having the option to stream it.

They should’ve go with the 45 days window. They are really jeopardizing NTTD's chances to become the highest grossing film of the pandemic era and since we are taking about a film that built all its marketing campaign around the ONLY IN THEATERS narrative, well, it's frustrating.
    Point is once you have the film out it’s gonna leak online a couple of hours after release, so a US only VOD release so early while the film is still doing fine overseas (without mentioning Australia) is stupid. All the world will be able to torrent it and watch NTTD in 4K for free, without even having the option to stream it.
    They should’ve go with the 45 days window.

I think that's always been a problem even pre COVID, the US getting VOD first a few weeks before other countries, which came down to differing windows globally (UK was a whole 16 weeks before you could release on VOD or Blu-ray/DVD!). So relatively it could be worse, in fact if everyone gets the film out this month with a couple of weeks difference it'll be better than before.

But unless you decide to not do PVOD at all (which to be fair most here expected EON to do and I think is your point here) and you push everything back for some time like Tenet did - no VOD anywhere until the full 16 weeks UK window was up (one of the longest in the world) - that's the only way to get a same day global release. Now the strategy is to get it out on VOD as early as possible after hitting this $600m global mark, which would not have been possible had it been day and date or even a 17 day window release.

So for MGM and EON and Universal it's a question of what brings them more - having this PVOD release early, an additional premium at home earning opportunity which didn't exist pre COVID where most of the revenue goes to them, or whatever the additional month of theatrical exclusive release (where most revenue goes to cinemas) would bring. Getting the timing of PVOD kicking in correctly is the big business question of this post COVID era for studios.

And one last edit/point: F9, the only film NTTD is currently trailing in 2nd place, did exactly the same. PVOD after 30 days US/45 UK and thereabouts elsewhere.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    British people had a long wait if they wanted to re-watch Dr. No - UK tv didn't show any Bond films at all until 1975!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had a feeling the film would have legs. I've felt compelled to keep going back and encourage more people to see it. Granted, I know my eight viewings are NOT the norm, but I have to imagine a more than respectable number of viewers have gone in for something like three or four screenings.

I would like to see it again, but there is so much else screening now.
    Yeah but with NTTD the circumstances are different. Australia could provide a massive push for the film - something like $30-40 million total - but having it available two days before in HD for free is gonna do some damage.
    To sum up, box-office wise, all the bad things that happened to this film have US printed on it. Jesus Christ, in NA NTTD won’t be even able to hit the $150 million mark and it’s gonna make less than A Quiet Place 2…
    Yeah but with NTTD the circumstances are different. Australia could provide a massive push for the film - something like $30-40 million total - but having it available two days before in HD for free is gonna do some damage.
    To sum up, box-office wise, all the bad things that happened to this film have US printed on it. Jesus Christ, in NA NTTD won’t be even able to hit the $150 million mark and it’s gonna make less than A Quiet Place 2…

We don't really know if Australia will be able to bring so much given the situation there, which was the reason for the delay in the first place... Spectre was $28M, I'd guess by itself it would be around $15M or so. Purely because the country itself isn't as "back" as other markets where NTTD opened. Even if restrictions are lifted people won't be rushing back in the shorter term. Remember that in UK and Europe restrictions lifted and cinemas reopened in June/July, around 3 months headway to get audiences warmed up.

As for North America...look it's all we expected. Bond isn't as strong a brand there. And older audiences there have been struggling to return, it was never gonna surge them in the way it has in the UK. I'd say second highest grossing film globally, right behind F9, of the pandemic is nothing to sneeze at. In terms of international, even if the film won't go into profit due to just how much they spent on it, it's an absolute win.
    antovolk wrote: »

We don't really know if Australia will be able to bring so much given the situation there, which was the reason for the delay in the first place... Spectre was $28M, I'd guess by itself it would be around $15M or so. Purely because the country itself isn't as "back" as other markets where NTTD opened. Even if restrictions are lifted people won't be rushing back in the shorter term. Remember that in UK and Europe restrictions lifted and cinemas reopened in June/July, around 3 months headway to get audiences warmed up.

Shang Chi will finish its run at $17/18 million, even tho it suffered from theaters shut down in Victoria, and it grossed $2.5 million over the last week, and it came out more than two months ago! Eternals, that is doing okay but not great overseas, will open with $7 million. Bond will do at least $30 million this time around.
    Theaters will work with 100% capacity in all the country except for Victoria with 75%. Australian boxoffice recovered really quickly and Bond will smash it…

That’s obviously my prediction, maybe I’m wrong, but IMO things are pointing in that direction. Ah, and the pre sales are really on fire.
    Well in that case I'd imagine the early US PVOD release and subsequent piracy won't dent things that much. For films as anticipated and big as this where people will make it a theatrical experience it won't, people will still chose cinemas, at least ok opening weekend. If it was a same day legal VOD in Australia it'd affect things way more there.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    IMHO Piracy is the only threat from this. Especially in the US people who were simply afraid would maybe opt for the PVoD version instead and bring in a good amount of $ - but I (also) fear the pirated copies of the movie will hurt this quite a lot.
    Good Saturday for NTTD in China and in two days it will reach the $50 million mark. Bond will end its run at $58-60 million, that’s pretty much a given after this $5 million Saturday.

Hopefully by tomorrow it will cross the $650 million mark globally. Last week Bond grossed $80 million globally reaching $605 million worldwide. Hopefully the total amount of the current week will be in the $50 million range (~40% drop) with more than $20 million coming from China.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    The thing about the PVOD angle... is we're arguing how it'll hurt the box office... but isn't the revenue they get from those rentals/sales just as relevant? Yes, once its out there it'll be up on torrent sites, but aren't 70-90% of those people just waiting to pirate it anyway?
    PVOD doesn't hurt anything. Avatar was the most downloaded/pirated film ever, and look at the Box Office it made. Origins Wolverine was online before it came out, it's a crap film, and it still did solid BO. What PVOD does is raise awareness for the film, and it becomes bigger in the process.

The people who P films, will never have went to see it blind. What happens is either they watch it, and spend time slamming it online, or they watch it and enjoy it and decide to go to the theaters with friends/girlfriends/boyfriends/family etc.

There was this french film 99frs, which did this amazing thing, they upped themselves the P version. It was in fact a continuous shot of the lead actor watching the film for 90mn.

It ended up as amazing publicity and the film was a hit.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I haven't seen it yet, and I just signed up for Apple TV. Can't wait!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I saw it in theaters and plan to buy VOD at least twice.

I bought the dvd twice.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I bought the dvd twice.

4k steelbook (for the collection)
    4k blu ray regular edition (for watching)

For me 😁
    Mallory wrote: »

I bought the dvd twice.

4k steelbook (for the collection)
    4k blu ray regular edition (for watching)

For me 😁

I pre-ordered it because I had forgotten I had already done so, but no matter. The second copy will make a nice present.
    Nothing compares to the theatrical experience. I’ll buy the Blu Ray when its run will be over.
    People still buy those?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Physical media is becoming a niche market, but its surprisingly still thriving. I myself collect a number of B-movies from Vinegar Syndrome and labels like them.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Nothing compares to the theatrical experience. I’ll buy the Blu Ray when its run will be over.

Same, I’m booked in for cinema viewing #007 tomorrow afternoon.
  • Hmm, not seeing a Friday box-office for NTTD anywhere??
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Hmm, not seeing a Friday box-office for NTTD anywhere??

According to critic Roger Friedman, MGM hasn't reported them yet (as of this writing 11/6 6PM EST).
    https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/11/06/no-time-to-die-or-report-box-office-but-plenty-of-time-to-rent-beginning-tuesday-for-19-99
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My theater got rid of it so quickly after just a couple of weeks. They switched to 7:20 pm showings only for a few days and then pulled it.

And I'll definitely be renting it come Tuesday, might get a couple of viewings in before it expires to tide myself over until the 4K release. I'm very excited to see it at home this time.