Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

AstonLotus wrote: »
    Highly underrated film. Obviously henchman is poor and Fields was an underwritten character imo but the story itself is very strong. Favourite scene like alot of people I suspect is the Tosca opera. I just hope we one day get a directors cut etc with the alternative ending but I suspect that will never see the light of day.

You see,just compare that opera scene in QOS where Bond just walks in there and gets what he wants with no trouble at all and it’s boring,and compare it to the fun and suspenseful opera scene in Rogue Nation.Mission Impossible has being doing everything better than Bond in its last few entries.

They're both great scenes.

Yes, agree with you, CraigMooreOHMSS. Both are great examples of style and accomplish different things. I equally love Bond and MI, although I have to confess I really liked Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation more than SF and SP.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Highly underrated film. Obviously henchman is poor and Fields was an underwritten character imo but the story itself is very strong. Favourite scene like alot of people I suspect is the Tosca opera. I just hope we one day get a directors cut etc with the alternative ending but I suspect that will never see the light of day.

The Tosca 'unmasking' scene is probably my favorite from DC 's entire run... Just classic Bond. QoS had so many strengths that were,granted, overshadowed by it's stunted screenplay - but Mendes just threw all that had been woven out of the window.
    SF and SP failed in the respect that it didn't build on QoS' strengths

Hopefully at some point they will want to sella blu Ray QOS badly enough and throw in the ending that many of us want. The opera scene in QOS is brilliant and vibrant-the score really pulls one in as well. What a shame that Mendes threw it all away. Tragic. Mendes is overrated imo. Can’t understand having two films building on each other, and then Skyfall! I love Skyfall, but it deviates so hard from CR and QOS. I would much rather have seen the Quantum storyline play out than the Spectre hogwash. Did Eon not want Forester back? I know that Christensen didn’t want to return, and seemed kind of nasty about it or I recall. Anyone remember more about it?

Not dissing you or anything but I find your post hard to fathom.You call Mendes overrated and say he threw away everything CR and QOS built....but then you say you loved Skyfall?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,898
    I also like SF for what it is in its own right – it’s just that in style, intent and quality it seems levels below what they'd achieved in CR and QOS. IMO, obviously. When QOS got a critical kicking, EON rowed back to safer, shallower waters for SF - to such an extent that it was almost a soft reboot. I've often wondered if Mendes actually understood just how great CR and QOS were and what it was that made them so good. He dropped so much of what they'd achieved with those films that I'm not sure he did. Although, to be fair, I'm sure EON gave him a good idea of the sort of film they did and didn’t want him to make, so it won’t all have been down to Mendes. So, yes, I do like SF on its own merits - but I love CR and QOS.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526

The Tosca 'unmasking' scene is probably my favorite from DC 's entire run... Just classic Bond. QoS had so many strengths that were,granted, overshadowed by it's stunted screenplay - but Mendes just threw all that had been woven out of the window.

Hopefully at some point they will want to sella blu Ray QOS badly enough and throw in the ending that many of us want. The opera scene in QOS is brilliant and vibrant-the score really pulls one in as well. What a shame that Mendes threw it all away. Tragic. Mendes is overrated imo. Can’t understand having two films building on each other, and then Skyfall! I love Skyfall, but it deviates so hard from CR and QOS. I would much rather have seen the Quantum storyline play out than the Spectre hogwash. Did Eon not want Forester back? I know that Christensen didn’t want to return, and seemed kind of nasty about it or I recall. Anyone remember more about it?

Not dissing you or anything but I find your post hard to fathom.You call Mendes overrated and say he threw away everything CR and QOS built....but then you say you loved Skyfall?

@AstonLotus No worries at all, I understand your point. I guess I’m a contrarian when it comes to Mendes. I don’t like that he didn’t continue the storyline of QOS and CR, because I loved them. However, I think Skyfall is fabulous in its own right. But without Christensen, it would have been extraordinarily difficult to continue with CR/Qos story arc. But, I think Spectre set up way too many plot elements and a direction (campiness) that I didn’t want the series to go in. However, I do enjoy Spectre for what it is. It’s no CR,Quantum, or Skyfall to be sure...but it still has Daniel Craig and some great action. Does that make sense? It may not haha. I think Mendes should have picked up the Quantum storyline with Mr. White as the lead villain in Bond 24: The Pale King. At this point, it’s going to be Bond vs White and Quantum. The big showdown. Oh what could have been.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I also like SF for what it is in its own right – it’s just that in style, intent and quality it seems levels below what they'd achieved in CR and QOS. IMO, obviously. When QOS got a critical kicking, EON rowed back to safer, shallower waters for SF - to such an extent that it was almost a soft reboot. I've often wondered if Mendes actually understood just how great CR and QOS were and what it was that made them so good. He dropped so much of what they'd achieved with those films that I'm not sure he did. Although, to be fair, I'm sure EON gave him a good idea of the sort of film they did and didn’t want him to make, so it won’t all have been down to Mendes. So, yes, I do like SF on its own merits - but I love CR and QOS.

@Venutius You articulated my feelings about Astonlotus’s question much better than I. Also, I think once theY acquired the SP name, they went a bit berserk with having to use it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    That whole Tosca section was glorious. Everything about it - even the soundless chase at the end worked perfectly. In two whole films, I don't think Mendes ever came close to equalling that.

Damn right 👍
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It gives me more pride and joy than I can possibly describe (yes, even me) to see just how much this movie continues to be re-assessed by fans casual and passionate alike. It's about time, too! I see a lot more YouTube videos on Bond analyzing it, referring to it as some variation of an underrated gem or outright fantastic. It's a film with a lot to love, and I'm very happy that the sharp initial reaction it received upon release has continued to lift so that it could be returned to and re-assessed with fresher eyes.

One of these days I'll have to give the Craig films the treatment I gave the Connery ones and do super in-depth reviews of them. I have always had much to say about them, especially this one.
    It gives me more pride and joy than I can possibly describe (yes, even me) to see just how much this movie continues to be re-assessed by fans casual and passionate alike. It's about time, too! I see a lot more YouTube videos on Bond analyzing it, referring to it as some variation of an underrated gem or outright fantastic. It's a film with a lot to love, and I'm very happy that the sharp initial reaction it received upon release has continued to lift so that it could be returned to and re-assessed with fresher eyes.

One of these days I'll have to give the Craig films the treatment I gave the Connery ones and do super in-depth reviews of them. I have always had much to say about them, especially this one.

Oh wow! Welcome back @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    You have been missed!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Let s go, Brady!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    That whole Tosca section was glorious. Everything about it - even the soundless chase at the end worked perfectly. In two whole films, I don't think Mendes ever came close to equalling that.

Damn right 👍

DC's most bondian sequence/moment, for me. Closest he ever came to being classic cinematic 007

He understood what made CR great by keeping to the same somewhat gritty and reality based tone for SF but clearly he understood how BAD QOS was.Sorry guys ,I know this is an appreciation thread but the fact is QOS was seen by many to be a disappointment and the Bourne copycat approach to that film was dispensed with for the follow up films.

Even Blofeld doesn’t bother making references to QOS at the climax of SP when he doesn’t put up any photos of Greene or Fields at MI6 to taunt Bond.Everyone remembers the likes of Le Chiffre,Vesper,and Silva but the fact they left out the QOS characters is a clear indication by the filmmakers that QOS was a forgettable film and regarded as amongst the series weakest.

He understood what made CR great by keeping to the same somewhat gritty and reality based tone for SF but clearly he understood how BAD QOS was.Sorry guys ,I know this is an appreciation thread but the fact is QOS was seen by many to be a disappointment and the Bourne copycat approach to that film was dispensed with for the follow up films.

Even Blofeld doesn’t bother making references to QOS at the climax of SP when he doesn’t put up any photos of Greene or Fields at MI6 to taunt Bond.Everyone remembers the likes of Le Chiffre,Vesper,and Silva but the fact they left out the QOS characters is a clear indication by the filmmakers that QOS was a forgettable film and regarded as amongst the series weakest.

Blofeld putting pictures up of past villains was one of the silliest moments of the Craig films.

Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva had nothing to do with Spectre until the makers decided to shoehorn them into the plot to connect them with It. Just proved they had no clue how to salvage the mess of a script they had.
    DC's most bondian sequence/moment, for me. Closest he ever came to being classic cinematic 007
    Yes!

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well as far as QOS characters eslewhere in SP there's Greene in the dialog (Blofeld: "You came across me so many times and yet you never saw me. Le Chiffre, Greene, Silva."), on computer screens. And bringing back Mr. White is a big deal, no less that by extension the character lives on through his daughter Madeleine.
    spectrecombined.png?resize=660%2C412&ssl=1

Regarding the photos at film's end and no Greene, can simply be a matter of Blofeld's printer running out of paper.

• RC7RC7

Each to their own, that’s the joy of Bond, I find SF light years ahead of QoS. A rich, assured, swaggering affair vs a hyperactive clusterf*** that despite its freneticism turns out to be the most boring film in the canon.

For many years, people said the same thing about OHMSS and look at the reputation it's gained since. Not saying that will necessarily happen or QoS is on that level, but it's certainly getting reappraisals these days so who knows?

BT3366 wrote: »

For many years, people said the same thing about OHMSS and look at the reputation it's gained since. Not saying that will necessarily happen or QoS is on that level, but it's certainly getting reappraisals these days so who knows?

I agree with this. And I feel that many want this type of persona from Bond, and the no nonsense direction that the film took. We can leave the campiness to Marvel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,449
    QOS, out of all the Craigs, is the film that keeps giving for me. Seen it often, still find new things to enjoy. It's my "Attack Of The Clones" of the Craig era, though I'm probably not wise in saying that out loud. ;-)
    I love the prequels Darth Dimi. You are not alone! :D Yoda in action for the first time was incredible! I saw it at a midnight show where 11 screens were going, all Star Wars Ep 2, and about 2000 plus people. I could literally watch Quantum any day of the week. Never get tired of it.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I love the prequels Darth Dimi. You are not alone! :D Yoda in action for the first time was incredible! I saw it at a midnight show where 11 screens were going, all Star Wars Ep 2, and about 2000 plus people. I could literally watch Quantum any day of the week. Never get tired of it.

Don't be a Nerf herder...

:P

Don't be a Nerf herder...

:P

:))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

You have been missed!

Cheers, @LeonardPine. Good to be back.

Let s go, Brady!

I've missed you, you old nutcase. Glad they haven't surrendered you to the asylum yet.
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    In retrospect, I do find that Mendes dropped some of the “bite” that made Casino & Quantum’s action so brutal. The fight at the casino in Skyfall, for example, lacks the kind of brutality I love in Craig’s fisticuffs. Mendes nailed the characters and story, differentiated from plot, in that film and some of the film’s darker moments (Bond’s drink with Severine, etc) nail that perfect continuation but the action and humor are kind of a letdown.

After all these years, I do love Quantum more and more. I’d agree this was Arnold’s best score and that the cinematography is woefully underrated. There’s definitely great mood here.

Have always hated this take on the MI6 HQ in terms of production design, which was clearly taken back in the following film. I love Gassner’s work in this and the subsequent films and hope to see him return, but the high-tech MI6 was ridiculous.

And of course, it’s the high mark for Craig’s wardrobe. I’d argue it’s the most stylish Bond wardrobe in the whole series - personal taste.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

You have been missed!

Let s go, Brady!

I've missed you, you old nutcase. Glad they haven't surrendered you to the asylum yet.

You have been missed!

Let s go, Brady!

What do you think this place is?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

You have been missed!

Let s go, Brady!

Well, well, well.....@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

It's been a long time. What took you so long?
    ;)

Hope you are keeping well, sir!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,898
    Meanwhile wrote: »
    In retrospect, I do find that Mendes dropped some of the “bite” that made Casino & Quantum’s action so brutal. The fight at the casino in Skyfall, for example, lacks the kind of brutality I love in Craig’s fisticuffs.
    Yes, on first seeing that scene in SF I remember looking at Craig with his fists up and thinking he looked like he was in the 1930s going 'Who wants to fight me?' and I wondered what the Bond from CR and QOS would've done - you know, the Bond from the stairwell fight or the Bond who stabbed Slate in the carotid and femoral arteries and then coldly felt his pulse til he knew he was dead. You're right, Meanwhile - the hand-to-hand stuff was much less brutal from SF on.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thought the train fight in SP was some good brutal hand to hand.

You have been missed!

Let s go, Brady!

Well, well, well.....@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

It's been a long time. What took you so long?
    ;)

Hope you are keeping well, sir!

@CraigMooreOHMSS a long time it has been, indeed, but good to be back. I'm surviving, and hope you're doing well too.

Agreed.Spectre for all its faults at least tries to bring some classic Bond tropes back to the series that was missing from CR and particularly QOS.The latter feeling too much like a Bourne copycat with its excessive shakycam and epileptic editing.

Agreed.Spectre for all its faults at least tries to bring some classic Bond tropes back to the series that was missing from CR and particularly QOS.The latter feeling too much like a Bourne copycat with its excessive shakycam and epileptic editing.

CR didn't need 'classic Bond tropes' whatever they are. It captured and updated Fleming's novel incredibly well.

CR is light years ahead of SP in quality. And QoS for all it's faults was heading Bond in the right direction.