NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It certainly isn't a friendly climate in China for a foreign film with a British secret agent as the protagonist. It would be a very unpatriotic choice to see NTTD instead of Lake Changjin.

How many here are seeing Lake Changjin, then?

Lake Changjin is patriotic propaganda for Chinese only. It's like a Soviet flick made under Stalin.
    matt_u wrote: »
    It certainly isn't a friendly climate in China for a foreign film with a British secret agent as the protagonist. It would be a very unpatriotic choice to see NTTD instead of Lake Changjin.

Lake Changjin is patriotic propaganda for Chinese only. It's like a Soviet flick made under Stalin.

Is it possible the box office numbers for this film will be a complete fabrication or do ordinary, everyday Chinese citizens actually care about such dreck?
    I have no idea but I don’t think those numbers were fabricated.

It looks like Bond will open in China with $15~20 million. It will also suffer from less 2D and 3D screenings than Dune so that’s really a poor release from Universal.

Is it possible the box office numbers for this film will be a complete fabrication or do ordinary, everyday Chinese citizens actually care about such dreck?

I don't know if they care.
    But it is common, that companys do trips to the cinema for this movie with the entire workforce.
    So millions of people, who have no private interest in that movie, will have seen it.
  • The new spider-man film will be the highest grossing pandemic film for quite some time. It'll probably be the 1st pandemic film to make a $Billion.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    The new spider-man film will be the highest grossing pandemic film for quite some time. It'll probably be the 1st pandemic film to make a $Billion.

Could be.

But Bond will stay on top in the UK and Germany.
    No Spider-Man film will get to those numbers.
  • I don't think Spidey will hit $1bn in 2021 if it's being released Dec 17....that gives it only 2 weeks
    I don't think Spidey will hit $1bn in 2021 if it's being released Dec 17....that gives it only 2 weeks

If it hasn't hit a billion by two weeks, I'm not sure that it would hit a billion at all.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 727
    I don't think Spidey will hit $1bn in 2021 if it's being released Dec 17....that gives it only 2 weeks

Avatar made most of its money in 2010. Doesn’t change the fact that its gross was counted as a 2009 movie.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD’s overall gross in China will be less than $30 million. So disappointing but it is not NTTD’s fault.
    The race against F9 is officially over.

It’s fair to say that because of COVID Bond lost something like $150 million at the global boxoffice in China and US alone.
    In France, NTTD is at 2 734 764 viewers in three weeks, and is currently in second place, after Dune (2 804 413 seats sold in six weeks). Not bad, not bad at all.
  • Bond rules in the UK. That's all I'm bothered about. American and Chinese indifference doesnt count in my dojo
    Next bond has to be a twitch streamer to attract the younglings.
    Bond rules in the UK. That's all I'm bothered about. American and Chinese indifference doesnt count in my dojo

As nice of a sentiment as that is, these movies can't be made and then be profitable based only on what the UK puts out as far as box office numbers are concerned. Unless we want Bond films that are produced at the cost of Diamonds Are Forever before inflation?
  • matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD’s overall gross in China will be less than $30 million. So disappointing but it is not NTTD’s fault.

It’s fair to say that because of COVID Bond lost something like $150 million at the global boxoffice in China and US alone.

Covid isn't stopping China from turning out en masse to see its propaganda movies that earn over US$500m

I remember Cena making a comment about Taiwan, and he had to grovel on social media to beg for forgiveness. Imagine Craig having to do that to sell the film there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Covid isn't stopping China from turning out en masse to see its propaganda movies that earn over US$500m

I remember Cena making a comment about Taiwan, and he had to grovel on social media to beg for forgiveness. Imagine Craig having to do that to sell the film there.

That video's one of the more embarrassing things I've seen in a while. It's crazy how many famous celebrities and huge organizations kowtow to China constantly solely because of $$$ and nothing else. I get it, from a business perspective, but it's laughably sad from my point of view.
  • Bond rules in the UK. That's all I'm bothered about. American and Chinese indifference doesnt count in my dojo

As nice of a sentiment as that is, these movies can't be made and then be profitable based only on what the UK puts out as far as box office numbers are concerned. Unless we want Bond films that are produced at the cost of Diamonds Are Forever before inflation?

Good point. What about an ultra low budget character driven Bond movie set in uk?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Bond rules in the UK. That's all I'm bothered about. American and Chinese indifference doesnt count in my dojo

Good point. What about an ultra low budget character driven Bond movie set in uk?

By way of historical context, during the late 1960’s production on “The Avengers” TV program was stopped when the show was cancelled in the US (IIRC rating for series 6 were still high elsewhere). While the program started out as a pure UK production, by 1969, the producers had grown dependent on the US syndication money the show brought in. For better or worse, many of the “money” decisions are made in the US.

A UK production only film budget scale back for Bond would probably be so radical, that may not appeal to a wide range of viewers. Bond as an “indie” flick may sound appealing, but it is not realistic.

That’s not the point. Most of the US films aren’t even getting a release there. Universal planned a massive marketing campaign in China before COVID for Bond and that’s not happening because now there the landscape is so changed that is not even worth trying. Even F9 dropped a 50% compared to the previous one.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,928
    I didn't know that about The Avengers - I'd always just assumed that viewing figures had plummeted without Emma Peel. It's quite telling when you realise the extent to which something as fundamentally English as The Avengers was kept afloat by American money.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Venutius wrote: »
    I didn't know that about The Avengers - I'd always just assumed that viewing figures had plummeted without Emma Peel. It's quite telling when you realise the extent to which something as fundamentally English as The Avengers was kept afloat by American money.

While some fans didn’t take to the Tara King character, what really doomed the series in the US was being scheduled opposite the number one TV program at that time: “Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-in”.

If you look back at the history of the Bond franchise and it’s US box office performance, it has always been steady – but not “lines around the block for days” great based on my impressions. There have been exceptions of course, but generally Bond has (IMO) kind of “blended in” to the overall US cultural landscape - almost, to the point where it is taken for granted – except when things are perceived to come up short. And, (again) for better or worse, the US media has an outsized influence on shaping the public narrative on whether a film has been successful or not.

Again, this is just my view, but I would be interested in what other US based fans think.
    Bond needed some tv spots on superb owl handegg series.
    Things look a little bit better in China ($20-23 million opening weekend) so maybe it will outgross Dune (with less promotion and less screens).
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ‘No Time to Die’ Opens Quietly on Top of the China Box Office
    https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/no-time-to-die-china-box-office-1235100437

Throughout Friday, “No Time to Die” tracked comfortably at the top of the Chinese chart, with market share as high as 55% in the morning sessions. By 7 p.m. local time that had fallen to 49% and the film grossed RMB36.7 million ($5.73 million), including online fees, according to ticketing agency and industry tracker Maoyan.

Including midnight previews, Bond’s day one aggregate topped RMB39.0 million ($6.09 million).
    $8.19 million, looks like Variety underestimated Bond, they made the article at 7 PM Chinese time.

This is a stronger Friday than Dune ($6.54 million).

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Flop? ;))
    $50 million in China is maybe still on the table with a potential $30 million opening. Word of mouth is gonna be capital.
  • Hopefully Chinese audiences will be curious how that decadent Western spy finally
    meets his end.
    Bond anyway dominated with 49.6% of market share. That bloody propaganda flick of The Battle of Lake Chanjing is finally at the second spot of the Chinese boxoffice.

Wow Dune dropped a 85% on its second Friday. Hopefully Bond will hold better.