Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Flight Of Fury (2007)
    You can tell straight away, what Segal we are about to get. In his first scene, he is about to have his memories erased, but his expression is more "Did I set my Sky+ Box to record that Gene Lebell documentary on tonight?" Given how he was already on the slide downwards by this point, Segal should have retired. He can even get through a fight without the use of a double, or careful/obvious editing. This was released in 2007, that same year, Van Damme released Until Death. Both dtv, but there is a BIG difference in quality there.

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    3. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    ---The Bad
    5. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    6. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly
    7. Born To Raise Hell (2010)

To ME, Seagal's last really good movie was Executive Decision (1996) in which he let them kill him instead of letting Kurt Russel take all the screen time & dealing with it. The last film he made that I liked at all was Fire Down Below (1997). After that, it was all a rapid slide into crap for me....

What's the reasoning behind that decision from Seagal, anyway? I'm honestly surprised he had the attitude necessary to die early and let someone else take the mantle in any film.

Actually, I think at first, he refused to die on the day they had to film his death scene.

Yeah, that's the Steven I've read about countless times in my life.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Flight Of Fury (2007)
    You can tell straight away, what Segal we are about to get. In his first scene, he is about to have his memories erased, but his expression is more "Did I set my Sky+ Box to record that Gene Lebell documentary on tonight?" Given how he was already on the slide downwards by this point, Segal should have retired. He can even get through a fight without the use of a double, or careful/obvious editing. This was released in 2007, that same year, Van Damme released Until Death. Both dtv, but there is a BIG difference in quality there.

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    ---The Bad
    5. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    6. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly

To ME, Seagal's last really good movie was Executive Decision (1996) in which he let them kill him instead of letting Kurt Russel take all the screen time & dealing with it. The last film he made that I liked at all was Fire Down Below (1997). After that, it was all a rapid slide into crap for me....

What's the reasoning behind that decision from Seagal, anyway? I'm honestly surprised he had the attitude necessary to die early and let someone else take the mantle in any film.

Actually, I think at first, he refused to die on the day they had to film his death scene.

I just don't understand the Seagal of that era agreeing to a supporting role at all. I was supposing. My bad...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Flight Of Fury (2007)

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    ---The Bad
    5. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    6. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly

I just don't understand the Seagal of that era agreeing to a supporting role at all. I was supposing. My bad...

Here's what I don't understand. Seagal refuses to shoot his death scene... but if he doesn't like the idea of dying, why did he agree to make the movie in the first place? I mean, he must've known long before that day that his character would die... it was in the script! Was he perhaps persuaded to do the movie by his agent, and begrudgingly agree? Or did the script change halfway through? Frankly, I doubt Seagal would have accepted such a change. The first explanation seems more plausible to me. There might be others.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Flight Of Fury (2007)

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    ---The Bad
    5. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    6. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly

Here's what I don't understand. Seagal refuses to shoot his death scene... but if he doesn't like the idea of dying, why did he agree to make the movie in the first place? I mean, he must've known long before that day that his character would die... it was in the script! Was he perhaps persuaded to do the movie by his agent, and begrudgingly agree? Or did the script change halfway through? Frankly, I doubt Seagal would have accepted such a change. The first explanation seems more plausible to me. There might be others.

It's an interesting thought, considering the type of person Seagal is. Knowing how inflated his ego was by that point in his career, I'm sure he didn't even bother reading the script and assumed he was the solo badass there to save the day. Who knows, though; he's a bizarre creature.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    9865.jpg
    (A. Jodorowsky, 1989)
    I didn t really care for this one. Grotesque and noisy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Flight Of Fury (2007)

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    ---The Bad
    5. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    6. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly

It's an interesting thought, considering the type of person Seagal is. Knowing how inflated his ego was by that point in his career, I'm sure he didn't even bother reading the script and assumed he was the solo badass there to save the day. Who knows, though; he's a bizarre creature.

That's a good question about Executive Decision. I can't imagine Segal accepting the role, knowing he dies 20 mins in to the film. This is the same actor that turned up on set to The Glimmer Man, on the day he kills someone, and decided there and then, that he didn't want to kill people anymore. If anything, I would imagine he turned up on set, knowing how small of a role he had, and doing everything possible to have the film re-written around him.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    9865.jpg
    (A. Jodorowsky, 1989)

I love that film! The Elephant funeral is something to behold! I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl. Where did you watch it by the way?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I took a brief respite from my Segal expedition to re-watch

The Saint (1997)
    I'm not going to lie, I have seen this film a handful of times over the years, and I have enjoyed it each time. I still live in hope that we might one day see the release of an alternate cut. I have seen the original ending on Youtube, albeit in Russian sans subtitles, and I wish that had been kept in the final cut. Dr Russell is alive, so there's an upbeat ending, but there is also that one last action sequence at Tretyak's mansion.

Before continuing with....

Pistol Whipped (2008)
    I wasn't expecting much, given when this film was made. But it genuinely surprised me on many fronts. I don't know what Segal had been given to approach this film in the way he did (a Kings ransom.... a Hareem...), but he seemed a lot more enthusiastic and ative. No dubbing, very minimal doubling... it was like a spark of old skool Segal. And the scenes with his onscreen daughter, weren't the least bit cringey, quite touching actually. Thought it must be said, he did look heavy set, he still pulled off some good moves.

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    5. Pistol Whipped (2008)
    ---The Bad
    6. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    7. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly
    8. Born To Raise Hell (2010)

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    SUBWAY (1985)

Fantastic early Luc Besson film that takes place almost entirely in the Paris subways, with fabulous performances by Isabelle Adjani and Christophe Lambert (who fares much better in French than in English imo).

Another great score by GE’s Éric Serra too (who plays the bass guitar in the video below, well-known actor Jean Reno is the drummer).

If you haven’t seen it, and you are planning to, which I would strongly advise, it’s the film’s climax, so it’s not a spoilerfree video:
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    SUBWAY (1985)

Fantastic early Luc Besson film that takes place almost entirely in the Paris subways, with fabulous performances by Isabelle Adjani and Christophe Lambert (who fares much better in French than in English imo).

Another great score by GE’s Éric Serra too (who plays the bass guitar in the video below, well-known actor Jean Reno is the drummer).

If you haven’t seen it, and you are planning to, which I would strongly advise, it’s the film’s climax, so it’s not a spoilerfree video:

Blimey I havent seen that since I went to see it in the cinema! Its rarely shown in TV. Great opening car chase, and Isabelle looks absolutely stunning!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    SUBWAY (1985)

Blimey I havent seen that since I went to see it in the cinema! Its rarely shown in TV. Great opening car chase, and Isabelle looks absolutely stunning!

As you know I’m quite a big Luc Besson/m / Éric Serra fan, and this one was really high on my watchlist. I got hold of a Blu-ray copy of it and did not think twice.

I absolutely loved it! :)

Did you like it as well? And do you remember how the reactions were back in ‘85? (I wasn’t around back then ;) )
    edited October 2021 Posts: 45,489
    9865.jpg
    (A. Jodorowsky, 1989)

I love that film! The Elephant funeral is something to behold! I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl. Where did you watch it by the way?

On streaming rental. I much prefer The Holy Mountain, and to a lesser extent El Topo of Jodorowsky s films.

MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE-ROGUE NATION (C. McQuarrie, 2015)

My MI ranking :
    1. Fallout
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. Ghost Protocol
    4. III
    5. 2
    6. M:I
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

I don't remember much about it, only that Time Out gave it a good review at the time. I know I immediately got the soundtrack after I saw it 😁
    SUBWAY (1985)

As you know I’m quite a big Luc Besson/m / Éric Serra fan, and this one was really high on my watchlist. I got hold of a Blu-ray copy of it and did not think twice.

I absolutely loved it! :)

Did you like it as well? And do you remember how the reactions were back in ‘85? (I wasn’t around back then ;) )

I really dont remember much, GoldenGun, apart from that opening! And Isabelles first appearance! I think Lamberts character is on the run from some gangsters and hides out with a bunch of misfits underground??
    It was showing in a lovely little cinema called The Screen here in Dublin. It showed more arty fare, and foreign language films. 3 screens, alas it is now gone!
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

I don't remember much about it, only that Time Out gave it a good review at the time. I know I immediately got the soundtrack after I saw it 😁

We're showing our age mate!!
    God, back then I was a regular cinemagoer, every week nearly! I rarely go now, its either me....or the movies are just not as appealing!
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

God, back then I was a regular cinemagoer, every week nearly! I rarely go now, its either me....or the movies are just not as appealing!

Could be the latter one. I rarely go to the cinema either, I much prefer to dig in the archives and look for the older gems.
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

Yeah, me too. Every bloody week and sometimes a couple of times a week!

Now hardly ever. The last film me and the wife went to before NTTD was Captain America Civil War...!

Cinema just doesn't hold the interest it used to for me.
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

Now hardly ever. The last film me and the wife went to before NTTD was Captain America Civil War...!

My last was 'Black Widow', generally not that fond of these types of movie, but it was ok ( My favourite character was played by ol' Greg Beam himself, a hoot here! Oh, and Scarlet had her thunder stolen by Florence Pugh!)
    MAD MAX (G. Miller, 1979)
    Hadn t seen these films since the 80s, so thought I should revisit them. I liked them well enough back then, but this was really bad. Max bad.
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

My last was 'Black Widow', generally not that fond of these types of movie, but it was ok ( My favourite character was played by ol' Greg Beam himself, a hoot here! Oh, and Scarlet had her thunder stolen by Florence Pugh!)

My wife has the Disney channel so we watched Black Widow on that at our leisure 😁

Good film. Florence Pugh is a good little actress. Did you see her in Midsommar?
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

My wife has the Disney channel so we watched Black Widow on that at our leisure 😁

Good film. Florence Pugh is a good little actress. Did you see her in Midsommar?

You know, I haven't mate!
    Its meant to like 'The Wicker Man', one of my favourite films so I would be interested to see it!
    Hadn t seen these films since the 80s, so thought I should revisit them. I liked them well enough back then, but this was really bad. Max bad.

MAD MAX has a terrific opening set piece, but it doesn't live up to that start.
    MAD MAX 2, however, is one of the best action films I've seen!
    SUBWAY (1985)

Me too @Mathis1 !

You know, I haven't mate!
    Its meant to like 'The Wicker Man', one of my favourite films so I would be interested to see it!

It certainly has Wicker Man elements. Well worth a watch. I've seen it 4 times!

If you liked Hereditary it's from the same director, Ari Aster.
    Enemies Closer
    An all to rare chance to see Van Damme as the villain, rather than hero. And what an unpredictable and unhinged villain he is too! The first time I saw this, I felt vibes of Raoul Silva (this was released a year after Skyfall, so it is possible that JCVD was trying to channel Bardem). Watching it now, I still feel Silva, but also some Max Zorin.

MAD MAX has a terrific opening set piece, but it doesn't live up to that start.
    MAD MAX 2, however, is one of the best action films I've seen!

I am going to rewatch that, too. I don t remember much from it, except I thought it was better than the first.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dune (2021)

Hoo boy, strap yourselves in, because this is a movie that wastes none of its two and a half hour runtime. Each shot is breathtaking, each minute is packed and though the movie ends abruptly, you'll feel mostly satisfied by the time the credits roll... and eager for the promised "Part Two".
    On a Halloween binge at the moment. 2 crackers from the 80's with:
    The Stepfather
    An excellent horror/thriller with a really tight effective script. Terry O'Quinn is seriously creepy in the titular role. But still evokes some sympathy for his deranged character.

Return Of The Living Dead
    Hugely entertaining and really funny with a great cast of older character actors and younger unknowns. Clu Gallagher and James Karen are particularly good.
    Some of the make up effects are effective, like the 'tar man' Zombie, but some are really ropey. Some of the appliances look terrible in HD. Still an enjoyable Zombie movie with none of the Romero politics.
    I had four viewings of No Time to Die in a row without anything in between, but immediately before that, I rewatched Goodfellas which is of course one of Scorsese's best, although I detest those final three shots and I'd argue that Casino remains his greatest mob film. Breaking up the NTTD streak was the 1958 version of Dracula, which again is just the best Dracula film. Lee and Cushing are pitch perfect, as is nearly all the film, though I could have done without the final bit of comedy at the border crossing.
    MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR (G. Miller, 1981)
    theroadwarrior.jpg

This is also pretty bad, but at least better than the first, which felt like an overlong prologue. I wonder if the tank chase finale inspired LTK.
    MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR (G. Miller, 1981)
    theroadwarrior.jpg

This is also pretty bad, but at least better than the first, which felt like an overlong prologue. I wonder if the tank chase finale inspired LTK.

Wow! I consider it one of my favourite action movies! The finale is superb!