Should we get a new M / Q / Moneypenny for BOND 26 and beyond ?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No hard feelings @Herr_Stockmann , I'm sure you didn't post spoilers on purpose.
    Edited the thread to include Potential Spoilers.
    However, I would ask that spoilers still be added in spoiler tags. Thank you.
  • I like the suggestion of Nighy, @Univex, but I would swap out Oldman and Waller-Bridge for Emily Watson and Jenna Coleman respectively.
    Good call, especially Coleman who could be a really good Moneypenny. Regarding Waller-Bridge, I imagine her more as a character close to Ann Reilly from the Gardner's book; if the next era wants to distance itself, this could be the road to take.
    If they go with a younger Bond, can you imagine PWB as Moneypenny and the sheer audacity of the sex puns between him and that sassy older woman? ;)
  • I like the suggestion of Nighy, @Univex, but I would swap out Oldman and Waller-Bridge for Emily Watson and Jenna Coleman respectively.

27213.jpg
    DR-WHO-Clara.jpg

Jenna Coleman is always brilliant, but I think she’d be a bit wasted as MP (which I’d hope would be more of a cameo role again). I’d like to see her as the main Bond girl.
    I like the suggestion of Nighy, @Univex, but I would swap out Oldman and Waller-Bridge for Emily Watson and Jenna Coleman respectively.

27213.jpg
    DR-WHO-Clara.jpg

Jenna Coleman is always brilliant, but I think she’d be a bit wasted as MP (which I’d hope would be more of a cameo role again). I’d like to see her as the main Bond girl.

Oh yes, she can pull it of, very talented. Loved her in Victoria as well.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well according to her IMDb bio, Jenna Coleman would love to be a Bond girl.
    She's also dated two potential Bonds in Richard Madden, and Tom Hughes. Very attractive girl.
    Benny wrote: »
    Well according to her IMDb bio, Jenna Coleman would love to be a Bond girl.
    She's also dated two potential Bonds in Richard Madden, and Tom Hughes. Very attractive girl.

Yes, indeed she is, she looks smart as well, and I'm sapiosexual as hell ;)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    It wasn’t a problem having Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell or Desmond Llewellyn play opposite Connery, Lazenby or Moore.
    Or Robert Brown play M to Moore and Daltons Bonds.
    Or Judi Dench play M for Brosnan or Craig.
    So why would it matter, for the next actor to appear with Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw?
    The only thing I'd say is, there was no definitive line drawn between each 007 iteration before CR and the ending of NTTD, making it far easier to make those transitions workable. Whereas with Craig's Bond there is. Everything begins and then dramatically ends for Craig's Bond in his own timeline with NTTD, so theoretically the same logic must apply to the characters played by the same actors within his own universe.
    The whole point of ending NTTD the way they did was to give Craig a satisfactory conclusion that they felt was more fitting to his portrayal of Bond and then wipe the slate totally clean. We can debate whether they were totally successful at that another time, but by carrying actors over from his RIP timeline into a new timeline, it will only tarnish NTTD's reputation further and cheapen it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Actually, I can see Phoebe WB as a subverted Moneypenny, with her being the one firing innuendos at a younger Bond. How long before we stopped expecting her to look straight into the camera after a quip, though? I can also see her making a good Q'ute if they went the Ann Reilly route, too.
    bondsum wrote: »
    It wasn’t a problem having Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell or Desmond Llewellyn play opposite Connery, Lazenby or Moore.
    Or Robert Brown play M to Moore and Daltons Bonds.
    Or Judi Dench play M for Brosnan or Craig.
    So why would it matter, for the next actor to appear with Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw?
    The only thing I'd say is, there was no definitive line drawn between each 007 iteration before CR and the ending of NTTD, making it far easier to make those transitions workable. Whereas with Craig's Bond there is. Everything begins and then dramatically ends for Craig's Bond in his own timeline with NTTD, so theoretically the same logic must apply to the characters played by the same actors within his own universe.
    The whole point of ending NTTD the way they did was to give Craig a satisfactory conclusion that they felt was more fitting to his portrayal of Bond and then wipe the slate totally clean. We can debate whether they were totally successful at that another time, but by carrying actors over from his RIP timeline into a new timeline, it will only tarnish NTTD's reputation further and cheapen it.

I fully agree with your statement, @bondsum.

Venutius wrote: »
    Actually, I can see Phoebe WB as a subverted Moneypenny, with her being the one firing innuendos at a younger Bond.

Right? ;)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    Thanks @Univex. :>
    I'm going to steer clear of making too many actor submissions as I know Eon won't take the slightest bit of notice and already have their own actors list. Though I'd give Phoebe Waller-Bridge a big swerve due to her new big role in the forthcoming Indiana Jones franchise. I don't mind Jenna Coleman though.
    I'm going to steer clear of making too many actor submissions as I know Eon won't take the slightest bit of notice and already have their own actors list. Though I'd give Phoebe Waller-Bridge a big swerve due to her new big role in the forthcoming Indiana Jones franchise. I don't mind Jenna Coleman though.

She'd be the new Julian Glover ;)
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Actually, I can see Phoebe WB as a subverted Moneypenny, with her being the one firing innuendos at a younger Bond. How long before we stopped expecting her to look straight into the camera after a quip, though?
    I could see that with a younger, early thirties, Bond. It could be a nice and original dynamic that could establish a new era. Good call. Don't know if I would want to see Waller-Bridge in this part though. She could work but, again, I would prefer her as an Ann Reilly character.
    Univex wrote: »

Didn't Julian Glover appear in Bond before Indiana Jones though? I get where you're coming from but I do think Phoebe Waller-Bridge is suffering slightly from overexposure. By the time of Bond 26, there's no telling how many more big movies she might have appeared in.

Didn't Julian Glover appear in Bond before Indiana Jones though? I get where you're coming from but I do think Phoebe Waller-Bridge is suffering slightly from overexposure. By the time of Bond 26, there's no telling how many more big movies she might have appeared in.

You're right, @bondsum. And I agree that she's getting overexposed and overpraised, actually.
    Yes, that'd definitely work, I think.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    PWB also has an overall deal with Amazon as far as I know. That doesn't really mean anything in connection with Bond other than that she probably is on speed dial in a couple of phones at Amazon Studios...
    As part of that deal we know that she is going to reboot Mr & Mrs Smith as a TV show opposite Donald Glover. So even more spy stuff from her...
    I always think of her as more of a writer/Showrunner than an actor..
    You're right, @bondsum. And I agree that she's getting overexposed and overpraised, actually.
    Yes, I should've included "overpraised" in my orginal comment too @Univex.
    I can't emphasise enough how odd it would appear to see Ralph Fiennes giving the new Bond his mission in Bond 26 just after giving him his eulogy in the previous movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They could always keep Kinnear as Tanner. He is such a non-entity that it wouldn t feel jarring, and it would uphold the tradition of keeping at least one cast member for the next Bond.
    Jenna Coleman's already been Moneypenny. Sort of...
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/jenna-coleman-the-war-rooms-newsupdate/
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    They could always keep Kinnear as Tanner. He is such a non-entity that it wouldn t feel jarring, and it would uphold the tradition of keeping at least one cast member for the next Bond.

He's like that boring piece of furniture that you never replace.

I can't see them doing anything other than a young Q. That makes sense.
    Yes, I should've included "overpraised" in my orginal comment too @Univex.
    I can't emphasise enough how odd it would appear to see Ralph Fiennes giving the new Bond his mission in Bond 26 just after giving him his eulogy in the previous movie.

About your spoiler: couldn't agree more, my friend.
    Before NTTD I wanted the MI6 regulars to continue on but after seeing NTTD I want a complete reboot and recast off ALL the roles.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I think no returning MI6 crew is needed. Because of NTTD, I do think it is not a good idea to keep any of them. I know Judi was an exception and it worked. This is different, and I think far different. So I have to say no matter how much I enjoy Naomie, Ben, and Ralph; I think there should be zero holdover for Bond 26. I know continuity is not a big deal in the Bond universe, and I'll handle it if Ralph returns ... but I prefer he and the others did not come back. Fresh and different crew suits me best.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think no returning MI6 crew is needed. Because of NTTD, I do think it is not a good idea to keep any of them. I know Judi was an exception and it worked. This is different, and I think far different. So I have to say no matter how much I enjoy Naomie, Ben, and Ralph; I think there should be zero holdover for Bond 26. I know continuity is not a big deal in the Bond universe, and I'll handle it if Ralph returns ... but I prefer he and the others did not come back. Fresh and different crew suits me best.

Couldn’t agree more with this.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I like Whishaw a lot as Q and figured that he'd be able to play the role for years to come. However, I must echo the above sentiments. I think a recast of all the MI6 regulars now makes the most sense.
    Yes, I'll add that prior to NTTD, it was my hope this Whitehall brigade would continue on to a new Bond actor.
  • They could always keep Kinnear as Tanner. He is such a non-entity that it wouldn t feel jarring, and it would uphold the tradition of keeping at least one cast member for the next Bond.

I agree. I want at least one of the cast members to return.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,921
    I think holding over a cast member is less a tradition than an accident, the function of Eon not wanting to let a beloved cast member go, whether it be Llewellyn or Dench.

It appears that not having a Q can lead to a successful Bond actor launch, so maybe we don't need Q in the next one?
    I'd hesitate to say bringing Dench into CR was an accident, or even more accident than tradition.