NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• RyanRyan Canada
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I've got to say I'm not a big fan of Bond's wardrobe in NTTD. I never normally notice but it stood out to me this time

The last act of the movie, I swear he was cosplaying as Nathan Drake.

Perhaps a symbolic reference to the film entering, dare I say, uncharted territory. ;)
  • 9IW9IW
    Costuming isnt a huge deal to me, but I thought Bond looked like a hobo for half the film. Paloma’s dress made up for a lot.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    One thing I enjoyed was the opening of the final island part of the movie was just like a Bond video game: when you play those there's always been Q's voice coming over the radio, prompting you where to go and what gadgets to use, which is something that never actually happened in the films, until now :D
    "Bond, use your watch to open that door"

Even the name 'Q-DAR' sounds very much like a video game gadget rather than a movie one!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    9IW wrote: »
    Costuming isnt a huge deal to me, but I thought Bond looked like a hobo for half the film. Paloma’s dress made up for a lot.

You should see some hobos.
    mtm wrote: »
    One thing I enjoyed was the opening of the final island part of the movie was just like a Bond video game: when you play those there's always been Q's voice coming over the radio, prompting you where to go and what gadgets to use, which is something that never actually happened in the films, until now :D

Even the name 'Q-DAR' sounds very much like a video game gadget rather than a movie one!

Yes, and I actually found M's zoom-briefing on the plane to evoke a similar feeling. Listing out the mission objectives and everything, so classic.

Would love a classic FPS game for this film. Maybe even, if you complete the last mission quickly, there's an alternate ending where Bond escapes! lol
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861

I actually did once see a slightly smelly guy asking for money on the Tube wearing a Skyfall-style Barbour jacket. It's £400!
    Would love a classic FPS game for this film. Maybe even, if you complete the last mission quickly, there's an alternate ending where Bond escapes! lol

:))
  • 9IW9IW

Lol. I’ve seen plenty and that was hyperbole. Im not near as classic Bond demanding as many on here, but I do always love that he looks cool. So, a little disappointed in a few of those a choices.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,921
    Denbigh wrote: »
    While I know some people would really like to happen, I think it would mostly do the opposite of what it seems to do for those who aren't a fan of the ending we got, because all that emotion and conversation would all be for nothing. Not to mention it would make no sense, and I know people have said: "they managed to keep continuity in the old films", but this is completely different. As I've said before, this era has addressed more details of Bond's arc; his age, his retirement, and now his death.

To carry that on with an actor who will almost definitely be younger would be a big mistake, and would undo the chance EON has now to really refresh things for a more modern audience as well as the fans who've been tied to Craig's era for so long now.

I've also said this before but whether he died or not, Bond 26 would've always been a reboot - in my eyes anyway - because there was so much character and story that you just can't carry on while attempting to keep things fresh.

Exactly. For the same reason that Vesper stayed dead (because it was a significant death, meant to affect Bond), Bond is dead, too. To resurrect Craig-Bond would cheapen all that preceded it.

Post NTTD, some of the fans are in an earlier stage of grief (denial) than others (acceptance). Craig-Bond is dead.

But James Bond will return.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357

Lol. I’ve seen plenty and that was hyperbole. Im not near as classic Bond demanding as many on here, but I do always love that he looks cool. So, a little disappointed in a few of those a choices.

I wonder if you really have?

For some reason I looked it up one day and discovered this 1930s Depression related information

A Hobo is a homeless person moving from town to town in search of work (the actor Robert Mitchum was once a hobo, before he made it in the movies)

A Tramp is a homeless person who moves from town to town but does not seek employment

A Bum is a homeless person who stays in one place and does not seek employment

Not many people know that!

nXbZWKGcgYmR6zjI1qeTNXsZLct5JkD6uZSTpvVWmO0emzM7F33lFuMs7hfRsxx6ir3AtT6GEAir5xPbJHlDEbDwDNwLUYLq0rvvRQNyIKhNNw

ca165195e0b53894e7740fa57fc4dba4.jpg
  • 9IW9IW
    Seve wrote: »

I wonder if you really have?

For some reason I looked it up one day and discovered this 1930s Depression related information

A Hobo is a homeless person moving from town to town in search of work (the actor Robert Mitchum was once a hobo, before he made it in the movies)

A Tramp is a homeless person who moves from town to town but does not seek employment

A Bum is a homeless person who stays in one place and does not seek employment

Not many people know that
    Ok , now you have me thinking. I grew up near a train depot in South Texas. It was frequent to see transients around that hopped off a train. There was a labor pickup near the depot at the public scales and those guys would stay around a few days to pick up some work. As kids, we would go to the scales and get daily farm work. None of those guys ever went with us, but they would do odd jobs around town. Also a lot of Mexican transients, but they tended to stay until harvest was over and move south with it.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    echo wrote: »
    While I know some people would really like to happen, I think it would mostly do the opposite of what it seems to do for those who aren't a fan of the ending we got, because all that emotion and conversation would all be for nothing. Not to mention it would make no sense, and I know people have said: "they managed to keep continuity in the old films", but this is completely different. As I've said before, this era has addressed more details of Bond's arc; his age, his retirement, and now his death.

To carry that on with an actor who will almost definitely be younger would be a big mistake, and would undo the chance EON has now to really refresh things for a more modern audience as well as the fans who've been tied to Craig's era for so long now.

I've also said this before but whether he died or not, Bond 26 would've always been a reboot - in my eyes anyway - because there was so much character and story that you just can't carry on while attempting to keep things fresh.

Exactly. For the same reason that Vesper stayed dead (because it was a significant death, meant to affect Bond), Bond is dead, too. To resurrect Craig-Bond would cheapen all that preceded it.

Post NTTD, some of the fans are in an earlier stage of grief (denial) than others (acceptance). Craig-Bond is dead.

And hey, if any Bond is to die I'm glad it was the only one who managed to achieve a legacy. I like to imagine Mathilde growing up to be a top-selling author who regales the world through her books all about her father's exploits as an agent and even secures a lucrative movie deal. How's that? Too meta? ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Minion wrote: »

And hey, if any Bond is to die I'm glad it was the only one who managed to achieve a legacy. I like to imagine Mathilde growing up to be a top-selling author who regales the world through her books all about her father's exploits as an agent and even secures a lucrative movie deal. How's that? Too meta? ;)

Making Bond a woman, that’s one thing, but Ian Fleming? :))
    Ok , now you have me thinking. I grew up near a train depot in South Texas. It was frequent to see transients around that hopped off a train. There was a labor pickup near the depot at the public scales and those guys would stay around a few days to pick up some work. As kids, we would go to the scales and get daily farm work. None of those guys ever went with us, but they would do odd jobs around town. Also a lot of Mexican transients, but they tended to stay until harvest was over and move south with it.

Sounds like they were the real deal then

Minion wrote: »

Making Bond a woman, that’s one thing, but Ian Fleming? :))

FatalLeafyDamselfly-max-1mb.gif
  • RyanRyan Canada

Absolutely! The thought popped into my mind as well. Instantly recalled the days of N64 TWINE, Nightfire, and with the nanobots how could we not have Everything or Nothing on our minds?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ryan wrote: »

Absolutely! The thought popped into my mind as well. Instantly recalled the days of N64 TWINE, Nightfire, and with the nanobots how could we not have Everything or Nothing on our minds?

As soon as the nanobots were revealed, I asked my friend next to me, "Do they eat everything but platinum?"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ryan wrote: »

As soon as the nanobots were revealed, I asked my friend next to me, "Do they eat everything but platinum?"

:D :-bd
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Why didn't Primo die at Blofeld's party in Cuba? He was definitely in the vicinity. Thought he was Spectre and the virus was already weaponized to target Spectre agents.
  • imranbecks wrote: »
    Why didn't Primo die at Blofeld's party in Cuba? He was definitely in the vicinity. Thought he was Spectre and the virus was already weaponized to target Spectre agents.
    My biggest concern is why given 20 years did Safin not try and kill Mr White. Mr White was just hiding in Austria which took Moneypenny two minutes to find.
    At the end of NTTD, I wish Bond had crawled into a dumpster before the missiles hit the island. Would've tied the scene nicely with Mathis' death.

If you know what I mean?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,548
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    imranbecks wrote: »
    My biggest concern is why given 20 years did Safin not try and kill Mr White. Mr White was just hiding in Austria which took Moneypenny two minutes to find.

I don't think Moneypenny was the source of that info; it was the Spectre meeting, wasn't it?
    But your point is valid. I too wondered what took Safin so long to emerge and go after Spectre and try to woo Madeleine.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore

Still doesn't answer my question about Primo :-?

I assume that Safin may have had some kind of...foresight...into how Primo could have been useful later down the line and made sure his DNA was not in the mist at the party. Then he later sent Ash to recruit him, as seen via the bionic eye. Or perhaps Primo was more a hired gun and not necessarily a Spectre agent. Basically a third-party freelancer.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 68
    Someone wrote on these forums that the mist was probably for high ranking members of Spectre (the board so to speak). Primo was more a hired gun, a henchman. Again not everyone associated with Spectre died at the party, if that was the case, who was Bond, Paloma and Nomi fighting and killing? Henchmen!

Still doesn't answer my question about Primo :-?
    The point I’m trying to prove is that there are a number of problem solving with the story if you stop to think about it. It is messy but it didn’t stop me enjoying it. To extend your point who are the goons that Paloma and Bond fight? Are they Spectre too? If so why didn’t they die?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    At the end of NTTD, I wish Bond had crawled into a dumpster before the missiles hit the island. Would've tied the scene nicely with Mathis' death.

If you know what I mean?

Lol
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I've got to say I'm not a big fan of Bond's wardrobe in NTTD. I never normally notice but it stood out to me this time

Me neither. There was nothing really inspiring about anything Bond wears in this one. I really liked Craig's wardrobe in CR and QoS. SF had its moments too (the Barbour jacket, Adidas trainers, etc.) but wasn't overly impressed with SP too much.

I thought the action sequences at the end were some of the best I've ever seen in a Bond movie. It felt like you were right in the centre of the action, a bit like a videogame.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    As @JazzyBond said, the mist only killed higher ranking SPECTRE operatives, not the hired help. Regarding why it took so long for Safin to exact his revenge, it seems implied that it was Madeleine’s reappearance and subsequent relationship with Bond that pushed him over the edge. “You made me do this!” and so forth. I suspect that initiated his plan to get back at everyone who wronged him.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I might elaborate on this once I write my full review in the future, but I really think that excluding the whole Cuba scene from the script would do NTTD a huge favor.

Sorry Ana de Armas, you did fine but the whole scene was generic and forced. I would much more prefer if she appeared in place of Lashana Lynch as the new 007, if producers wanted to overhaul the dark(er) script with Mooresque 70s light humor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Still digesting the movie so I’ll break it down into pros and cons:

Pros:
    -The movie is colorful! Lovely cinematography all around
    -The PTS was nice and intense. Not as good as Skyfall or Casino Royale’s but I dug it quite a bit.
    -I enjoyed the title sequence as well, apart from the dull section where he’s just showing faces again.
    -the movie up through the Cuba section is a lot of fun. It really feels like classic Bond to me. Lovely locations, playful humor but not too silly (Waldo aside) and some decent action.
    -Sound design is really good. The explosion impacting Bond’s hearing, the growling engines in the Norwegian woods, the crash of the waves at Safin’s base. A lot of really cool stuff.
    -The square scene with the DB5 and the one take stairwell sequence are very solid action scenes.
    -Safin’s base is super cool.
    -The retuning players from Spectre give better performances.
    -The score was really good. I liked it listening to it isolated but it works even better in context. Not as good as Arnold’s stuff but I preferred it to Newman’s.
    -Paloma was a fun character
    -Craig was good, even if he sounded like he wasn’t using the same accent as the previous films.

Con’s:
    -M being a total incompetent, and the fight he had with Bond was odd.
    -Everything in London was more or less awful. Just gobs and gobs of exposition that killed the movie’s pace in its tracks.
    -Waldo’s poor comedic relief was grating. I did like his death though.
    -The henchman was disappointing. Didn’t do anything memorable and I don’t think we even got his name. Ash was given more to do than he was.
    -Most of the action was thoroughly unremarkable.
    -Safin was completely bungled. They had him give a whole villain speech and he still couldn’t explain what he was doing or why.
    -The stuff with Bond’s daughter and his death and the very ending was wayyyyy too sentimental. Cloying music, tearful dialogue. C’mon, we don’t need this sort of ham in a Bond film.
    -The story was trying to do WAY too much, and ended up just being totally muddled by the end of it. They should have had a much simpler narrative, and just shouldn’t have even bothered connecting it to Spectre.

Overall very mixed on the film, a lot more negative than positive feelings right now unfortunately. I think I liked it more than Spectre but not by much which is surprising to me.

This beautifully sums up my thoughts.