What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Stark wrote: »
    New French interview where Fukunaga says he is not sure to direct Bond 26 :

"I don't know. It will depend on the timing and the potential of the project. And it's very rare that I do the same thing twice... We'll see where I'm at in my life at that time."

https://premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Mourir-peut-attendre-Cary-Fukunaga-n-est-pas-sur-de-vouloir-realiser-un-autre-James-Bond

Also, playing your cards close to the vest is also a good negotiating tool.
  • Personally, I think the choices for the reboot are down to these two guys.....

I love Villeneuve, but I am not sure I want him to ever direct a Bond film. I would much rather see Fukunaga return.
  • StarkStark France
    Denis Villeneuve wants to direct Bond 26 !

“I would deeply love one day to make a James Bond movie, It’s a character that I’ve been with since my childhood. I have massive affection for Bond. It would be a big challenge to try and reboot it after what Daniel did. What Daniel Craig brought to Bond was so unique and strong and honestly unmatchable. He’s the ultimate James Bond. I can’t wait to see Cary’s movie. I’m very excited. I’m one of the biggest Bond fans. I don’t know if such a thing would happen, but it would be a privilege. That would be pure cinematic joy.”

https://indiewire.com/2021/10/denis-villeneuve-direct-bond-movie-1234670297/
    There should be no shortage of directors who want in on B26, given it should almost certainly be a clean slate and sandbox to do whatever in.
  • It would also be an opportunity for Villeneuve to make a movie that actually makes money (badum-chhh)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have yet to see a Villeneuve film that disappointed me.
    Villeneuve would be a very interesting choice indeed.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The franchise is certainly attracting top-quality directors these days.
  • I want CJF back again.
  • I want the next 4 Bond films to be directed by these 4 directors: Nolan, Fukunaga, Boyle, Villeneuve.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I definitely 100% want Cary to direct the next one. I know he does not like to repeat himself, but that would be a good challenge that would get him creatively inspired: how to make it different, different tone, different actors, but make another great Bond movie. I hope he and EON come to an agreement within a year that he will do it. He is that versatile and such a fine director and storyteller. I could not be happier with Cary and Linus's contributions to NTTD.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    I definitely 100% want Cary to direct the next one. I know he does not like to repeat himself, but that would be a good challenge that would get him creatively inspired: how to make it different, different tone, different actors, but make another great Bond movie. I hope he and EON come to an agreement within a year that he will do it. He is that versatile and such a fine director and storyteller. I could not be happier with Cary and Linus's contributions to NTTD.

I heard an interview with Cary done by a Norwegian radio station. He said he had given the producers his "pitch" on "where the series could go from here" and that if the producers asked him back he "would consider it". That indicates to me he would be interested.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That makes me happy. Thanks!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Can we all just breathe a sigh of relief that:

1. Denis Villenueve is a huge Bond fan and WANTS to direct a Bond movie
    2. Martin Campbell is a huge Bond fan, favorite being FRWL, and is DEFINITELY OPEN to direct another Bond movie
    3. Christopher Nolan is a huge Bond fan and WANTS to direct a Bond movie
    4. Cary Fukunaga is a huge Bond fan and is DEFINITELY OPEN to direct another Bond movie… andddd already has a pitch/idea to usher in Bond #007

That’s some power.

2. Martin Campbell is a huge Bond fan, favorite being FRWL, and is DEFINITELY OPEN to direct another Bond movie
    4. Cary Fukunaga is a huge Bond fan and is DEFINITELY OPEN to direct another Bond movie… andddd already has a pitch/idea to usher in Bond #007

That’s some power.

Yes indeed. The series looks to be in good hands.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Martin Campbell is still in good shape, and he really knows how to launch a new actor in the role.
    George Miller -without question. He’s one of the greatest action directors of all-time. Mad Max: Fury Road. Would love to see him produce a Fury Road pure action style Bond.

That’s some power.

Do you know what the pitch is? Just curious. He did a terrific job with NTTD.
    I remember someone suggested Bong Joon Ho earlier. It is more of a left field choice, but a highly interesting one in my opinion. He certainly has a natural eye for creating suspense and dynamic action, and he corporates humor into his films very skillfully.
  • Nolan's Oppenheimer will open in summer 2023, so Nolan's Bond 26 could open in late 2025.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Villeneuve is a great filmmaker but he’s too meditative and slow paced for Bond.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,036
    I’d love to see an Edgar Wright Bond film. I think he would bring a lot of directorial flair and energy, whilst still having enough knowledge and love of cinematic Bond to make it something great.

He has worked with two former Bonds and his new film has a whopping great big Bond reference in it.
    Just keep Nolan out of it.
    Despite really disliking his Murder on the Orient Express I'm still up for Kenneth Branagh having a go at Bond.
  • My problem with Nolan and Denis Villeneuve is that most of their films lack the sexuality and outré sensibility, that I think is key to Bond.

Fukunaga's direction really did a lot for me, much more than I actually thought it would, and I'd love to see him tackle Bond 26 with a blank slate.

edited October 2021 Posts: 73
    Branagh has a tendency to make almost any story into a Shakespearean tragedy.
    How about Brian Trenchard-Smith? A left-field choice for sure, since he is mainly known (if known at all) as a director of Leprechaun sequels and Syfy fare. But the man is a lot better and smarter director than his career has been. He is 3 years younger than Martin Campbell (who'd still be a great choice IMHO) too. Trenchard-Smith knows how to handle humour and action and the man is a huge Bond fan - his first film, the utterly wonderful The Man from Hong Kong was a Bond/Dirty Harry/Bruce Lee -hybrid set in Australia with George Lazenby as the villain! And as a schoolboy he was at Pinewood Studios when they were shooting pick up shots for Dr. No.

I think SP proved that a name director=narrative and critical success does not necessarily work with Bond. Skyfall was an exception but before Mendes the Bond directors we're all (rightly or wrongly) workman directors - capable filmmakers who weren't "names". Mendes was a name. One could argue that Cary Fugunaga is also a workman director. That fact doesn't diminish him or his work one iota, but he isn't a scorsese, a spielberg, - or a mendes or boyle. I would prefer him or Campbell to return over any hotshot name director like Villeneuve.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Campbell’s age is a non issue; he’s still fit and vital; I would love to see him have a chance to hit a trifecta.
  • Agreed
    talos7 wrote: »
    Campbell’s age is a non issue; he’s still fit and vital; I would love to see him have a chance to hit a trifecta.
    Absolutely. I was blown away by The Foreigner he did with Jackie Chan and our Pierce in 2017.
    Stark wrote: »
    Denis Villeneuve wants to direct Bond 26 !

“I would deeply love one day to make a James Bond movie, It’s a character that I’ve been with since my childhood. I have massive affection for Bond. It would be a big challenge to try and reboot it after what Daniel did. What Daniel Craig brought to Bond was so unique and strong and honestly unmatchable. He’s the ultimate James Bond. I can’t wait to see Cary’s movie. I’m very excited. I’m one of the biggest Bond fans. I don’t know if such a thing would happen, but it would be a privilege. That would be pure cinematic joy.”

https://indiewire.com/2021/10/denis-villeneuve-direct-bond-movie-1234670297/

What? Had no idea about this. Bring that man in. He must do it!