James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Is this a different version than the 4K UHD one I can watch on Prime?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,024
    It shouldn’t be different. I would assume it comes with the original mono sound mix, which is not available for steaming.

I think they’ll release a 4K complete set for the 60th anniversary.
    Zavvi - Blu-Ray only, can't find anything about a 4K disk.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/goldfinger-zavvi-exclusive-blu-ray-steelbook/13355156.html
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I would love a steelbook that used the (title sequence spoiler):
    PPK / bullet trail DNA Double Helix imagery
    That was my favourite part of the sequence.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    jamesdut wrote: »
    Do you think we will get a new box set of all 25 films any time soon? I believe universal has the rights for physical media for No Time To Die, but Warner has the physical rights for all the other bond films. Whether that will change in the future I don’t know.

It will eventually change. Sony originally had the rights to the DVD/Blu-ray releases for CR, but by 2012 it reverted back to MGM’s deal with Fox.

I do hope we get a 25 UHD film set. As much as I love the Bond 50 blu-ray set, it always feels incomplete without Craig’s latter three films. I’m OCD that way! It shouldn’t be any trouble assembling that. Studios have become much more lax about film sets containing films from different studios. FRIDAY THE 13th set is a good example as different films in that set are owned either by Paramount or WB. Shouldn’t be an issue for Universal’s NTTD joining a Warner 1-24 set. But we’ll see.

Given how expensive UHD is though, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just split up the sets for Bond actors. They finally did that for blu-ray, as prior to that an actor’s individual set NEVER happened.

I agree about Bond 50 feeling incomplete. It does look lovely on the shelf, but I feel like it looks a bit strange having Skyfall and Spectre standing outside of it at this point. I bought steelbooks of those so they're worthwhile for my collection, but all the same nothing entirely matches. A 4K set comprising the 25 films across six actors and their complete runs would certainly satisfy those conditions!
    Here’s hoping for the Bond 60 4K set!
  • cwl007cwl007 England

Here’s hoping for the Bond 60 4K set!

+1 and an even better gift would be to have a little empty space saying Bond 26 coming soon, similar to what they did with the '50' set. One can dream.
  • Not physical 4K but I just recently bought all 24 films on digital 4K for Apple TV in Canada, $99!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NTTD is set to release on blu-ray and 4K in the U.S. on December 21st.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I've already preordered it at amazon :D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Bloody hell, that was fast. The time from the cinema to home media is getting shorter.
    Thanks goodness too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    royale65 wrote: »

Bloody hell, that was fast. The time from the cinema to home media is getting shorter.

It really is. It used to be, on average, about three months, now that seems to be dwindling to two and a half months, if not shorter sometimes. I love to see it and hope it continues.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Excellent! Going to wait slightly to see if any store exclusive type offers catch my eye before deciding when to pre-order.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,006
    It’s pretty much assumed there will be a complete Daniel Craig Collection box set released in 4K/UHD right? I might wait for that…
    Is anyone else waiting / hoping for a complete set of all 25 EON films? I know it's said it's pointless to buy a whole collection over and over for a series that keeps on going, but in this case it will feel special with an era completed. I'd love to sell my older DVDs and Blu-Ray set if we get a new special release for this.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    If a 60th Anniversary 4K set got announced between now and then I'd probably skip buying it individually all together and just buy the box set.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,006
    I think I’d go for the 25 film set in 4K.

There really isn’t much of a jump to 8k than can be detected by the human eye. It’s diminishing returns after this point.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3529913/8k-vs-4k-tvs-most-consumers-cannot-tell-the-difference.html
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 372
    I'm not sure because on iTunes some of the films like OHMSS look bad (blown whites, degrained). For example, TSWLM has a recent 4K scan and looks "modern" in technical UHD terms. Most of the rest are ancients scans, going back 15 years + that all need to be redone, apart from a few like Goldfinger which I believe was redone recently.

I think what they should do is remaster and release them one by one in UHD, starting with the most recent scans (Spy, Goldfinger), then redo the others as they go. A pack of the iTunes master would be short changing the content and swindling the fans. (inevitable remasters later).

A Pierce Brosnan pack however might be doable straight away with NTTD coming.
  • zb007zb007 UK

It's down for the 20th of December in the UK at the moment
    Ryan wrote: »
    Excellent! Going to wait slightly to see if any store exclusive type offers catch my eye before deciding when to pre-order.

While I'd love that and looked forward to that during the glory days of home video, I fear those days are gone. While some stores still carry 4k, Blu and DVD titles, the studios apparently don't sell enough anymore to try to entice customers with the extras like a die-cast car or coin or whatever to get you to buy the title from them. That and the prices seem to be higher than they were back then as well. That's literally the price we pay for wanting physical media.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »

While I'd love that and looked forward to that during the glory days of home video, I fear those days are gone. While some stores still carry 4k, Blu and DVD titles, the studios apparently don't sell enough anymore to try to entice customers with the extras like a die-cast car or coin or whatever to get you to buy the title from them. That and the prices seem to be higher than they were back then as well. That's literally the price we pay for wanting physical media.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's gone entirely. Different, but still present to an extent. For No Time To Die we so far have, at the very least, the steelbook, the standard release, and the (rather expensive) gift set that comes with a DB5 replica for options. Usually I'd go steelbook by default, but I'm not crazy about the artwork on it this time around. The DB5 is cool but far more than the budget I'd be willing to spend on a single film! So thus far I'm leaning on the standard release unless some alternative exclusive steelbook comes up.
    The days aren't gone, the studios are just in a mass industrial mindset.

It means they want to produce a product that sells millions with basically an intern doing all the work by himself.

Any product with a collector car, or gun, bonuses, etc. require more than the intern doing all the work. It's a bore to them, they don't care. The market is there, but they aren't interested as the ratio of work needed (ie a couple of weeks with a team) is not what they want for the corporation.

That's why you see many home publishers setting up and doing what the fans wants, selling out all their limited run, which are only limited because they have limited means of marketing and distribution.

It's all a choice. The buyers are still out there, it's just that the majors aren't making offers to them, so no offers = no buyers. It's all on their (the majors) hands.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    zb007 wrote: »

It's down for the 20th of December in the UK at the moment

Great, I'll get it for my wife's birthday 😁
  • My guess is that we'll be getting physical 4ks of the pre-Craig films in 2022 for the 60th anniversary.

In a way it's a shame that CR and QOS were two of the first Bonds to be released in 4K because they're the only ones permanently stuck in 2K because of their digital intermediates.

All the films from 1962 to 2002 can be scanned in 4K, and SF, SP and NTTD's digital intermediates were finished in 4K.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,024
    Even with DAD being traditionally mastered on film, there’s still a lot of digital mastering involved, so anything with CGI elements or digital color grading (ex: all the Korea scenes) is stuck at 2K. The 90s films at least kept it to a bare minimum, so there’s only a few shots stuck at 2K like when Bond is holding onto Trevelyan’s leg or when Bond and Christmas kiss on the balcony.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NTTD is now available to rent on VOD in North America. Does anyone know if the version available retains the IMAX ratio or is the whole thing cropped?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    jake24 wrote: »
    NTTD is now available to rent on VOD in North America. Does anyone know if the version available retains the IMAX ratio or is the whole thing cropped?

It's in the normal 2.39:1 aspect ratio.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

It's in the normal 2.39:1 aspect ratio.
    Damn, thanks. Hopefully the IMAX-shot sequences are retained on the Blurray.