NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

1127128130132133151

Comments

  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 2,510
    How many times does the OHMSS theme play? It’s one time on the released soundtrack, but there’s more?

    I think there are a few subtle hints within the music and there's two instances that I picked up on, were it was front and centre
  • Posts: 3,168
    How many times does the OHMSS theme play? It’s one time on the released soundtrack, but there’s more?
    Once, IRC, ... when Bond was speaking to M outside in London. Right before visiting Blofeld.
  • Posts: 820
    Having spent a good part of today with the score now...

    ...wow. I'm finding new things to love every time I listen to it. There is so much going on here that's classic Bond, and ruthlessly modern Zimmer, and everything in between.

    I'm surprised how much that "danger theme" (or whatever we're calling it) actually powers the score throughout. It's like a slight variation on the NTTD chord progression, which Hans turns into a melody he repeats everywhere. Very prominent, for example, when the DB5 screeches it tires and takes off in Matera -- or as the evil backing in Poison Garden, or even the underlying hype strings in Gearing Up.

    I might just refer to this as the "Hans theme." I'm just amazed how it's everywhere. Essentially his own OHMSS that he repurposes in different contexts.

    I'm also shocked, hearing them more clearly now, how much of The Dark Knight finds its way into the finale cues.

    I also...want to love Final Ascent. I mean, I do. It's probably his best cue here. It's just so sad and hard to listen to. But it's classic Barry through and through, and one of Hans' best works. Amazing.
  • Posts: 501
    Funnily enough, this score reminds me more of Arnold than of Barry. Perhaps because I find it to be everything Arnold wanted to do but couldn't. Having watched the film already, some cues aren't in the album. So I expect to have an expanded version of this score in the not so distant future. I'd have to watch the film again to rank it, but superb work by Zimmer. I'm pleasantly surprised.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Posts: 1,400
    I like the return to MI6, but still no classic huge Bond theme, da da da da, da da daaaah
  • Posts: 820
    0iker0 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, this score reminds me more of Arnold than of Barry. Perhaps because I find it to be everything Arnold wanted to do but couldn't. Having watched the film already, some cues aren't in the album. So I expect to have an expanded version of this score in the not so distant future. I'd have to watch the film again to rank it, but superb work by Zimmer. I'm pleasantly surprised.

    Any cues you can remember specifically that aren't there? The only major one I can recall is the opening scene in snowy Norway, and

    Whatever music is playing on the boat during the fight, and Felix's death
  • SAS_30SAS_30 Crab Key
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2
    AgentM72 wrote: »

    I'm also shocked, hearing them more clearly now, how much of The Dark Knight finds its way into the finale cues.
  • SAS_30SAS_30 Crab Key
    Posts: 2
    SAS_30 wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »

    I'm also shocked, hearing them more clearly now, how much of The Dark Knight finds its way into the finale cues.

    I was looking for this TDK & TDKR reference.

    I thought somebody would bring this up and there it is.

    I was surprised by the final cues, it pretty much felt like Bane-vs-Batman from TDKR.

    NTTD's final act soundtrack has TDKR-esque feel to it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    Came back from 2nd view of the movie, so there's maybe around 20 Min. unreleased music i would say.
    Unreleased Cues:
    Norway Scene
    Bond and Madeleine at the Hotel Room
    Bond on the Way to Vespers Grave (that's really good cue)
    Vespers Theme (Another Variation)
    Primo kidnapping Valdo
    Fight between Bond and Logan Ash
    Death of Felix/Sinking the Ship
    Bond at M's Office
    Safin and Madeleine
    Madeleines Home (Version on the OST is different)
    Some unreleased Cues at Safins Factory
    Death of Primo
    Another Variation of "We have all the time in the world"

    But there's a lot more i think
    Hope we get an Ext. Release of the Complete Score, i like the Score

  • Haven't seen the film as it's not out here in France until next week. So I am currently listening to the Hans Zimmer score for the first time. To be honest apart from some orchestrations of the Bond theme, the Billie Eillish theme and stealing elements of John Barry's great OHMSS score there isn't anything at the minute that is remotely better than any of Newmans score for SF OR SP.. still 4 tracks left to go but this had to be one of the most disappointing scores of the Craig era.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Posts: 1,884
    Purchased and listened to the OST and... still underwhelmed. It's decent but I'll never stop saying that Arnold should've returned for Craig's last outing. It would've been so much more meaningful and epic than what we got.

    Instead Zimmer plays it relatively safe and overuses cues from OHMSS, which gets tiring after a while. I'll need to make a note of it when I next go through the tracks but I'd guess OHMSS is being sampled in around half of the album. It doesn't help that Zimmer refuses to do the same with other classic scores. Why not include some FRWL/YOLT for the sake of variety instead of solely OHMSS?

    At least I could enjoy some of the romantic atmospheric tracks. The title song is well used too especially with the faint vocal. When it comes to the action cues I guess they are alright. The wavering action melody that is frequently used is the best part. Of course, it still doesn't come close to what Arnold or Barry were capable of doing. Shame really.
  • Just finished listening to Hans Zimmer score from NTTD. Maybe in the film it works better. But as a listening experience it's extremely disappointing. As I said earlier the only decent tracks are those with the Bond theme, the instrumentals of the main titles and parts of the OHMSS. The rest is just pure Zimmer noise. The score probably had a few decent tracks. Matera, Not What I Expected, Home. I préfered Newman's SF and SP score. The action cues SHE'S MINE, BACKFIRE all the more exciting than anything presented here.
  • I've seen the film, but haven't listened to the soundtrack album yet, so I don't even know if the cue for Bond and Madeleine in the Matera hotel room is even on the album, but listening to it in the film, I think I did hear a thinly disguised variant on Madeleine's theme from Spectre. Has anyone else caught this or are my ears to blame?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Posts: 1,329
    I adore this score. Thank you Hans.
  • StarkStark France
    Posts: 177
    Dalida's song "Dans la ville endormie" is in the movie ?
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Posts: 972
    I really like the gunbarrel and the Matera theme.
  • Posts: 848
    Stark wrote: »
    Dalida's song "Dans la ville endormie" is in the movie ?

    Yep, it's the french song at the begining I believe
  • Posts: 3,168
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    0iker0 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, this score reminds me more of Arnold than of Barry. Perhaps because I find it to be everything Arnold wanted to do but couldn't. Having watched the film already, some cues aren't in the album. So I expect to have an expanded version of this score in the not so distant future. I'd have to watch the film again to rank it, but superb work by Zimmer. I'm pleasantly surprised.

    Any cues you can remember specifically that aren't there? The only major one I can recall is the opening scene in snowy Norway, and

    Whatever music is playing on the boat during the fight, and Felix's death

    The last part of 'Square Escape' ('Final Ascent' variation) is not in the movie. But a variation of it is played during the last part of the boat sequence. Probably one of my favorite moments in the film.
  • The riff of the Bond theme is missing too from the Matera scenes. I can only assume it would’ve played over the bike jump.
  • Posts: 252
    The riff of the Bond theme is missing too from the Matera scenes. I can only assume it would’ve played over the bike jump.

    Yes, that's right. And a short cue where Nomi tells Bond she is the new 007 is also missing (scene at Jamaica)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Posts: 12,459
    I think the Bond theme does not kick in fully until he confirms he is back working with MI6. Somebody check on that, please. I am quite tired now. I see it again tomorrow early a.m.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    Guys, can someone please tell me if the section of “Home” where Billie Eilish hums over the slow rendition of the title theme made it into the film? It’s one of the most beautiful pieces of music on a Bond soundtrack and I want to keep my expectations in check.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    @jake24

    Yes at the end-titles, but a little bit different of the version on the OST, a little bit shorter
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    @jake24

    Yes at the end-titles, but a little bit different of the version on the OST, a little bit shorter
    So not in the film itself? That’s a shame but at least it made it in some capacity.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    @jake24

    Yes at the end-titles, but a little bit different of the version on the OST, a little bit shorter
    So not in the film itself? That’s a shame but at least it made it in some capacity.

    Time features in the film but they cut the part with Billie’s vocalisms…
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    The Track "Home" is different in the movie, the hums are missing 2:04-2:44 in the movie, don't know why. It's also one of my favourite tracks

    Edit: The Hums of the Track "I'll be right back" (2:43-3:05) made his way into the film
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Posts: 373
    You know guys? I'm gonna say it - this is my favourite Bond score in years. I'm finding that the whole thing very much has repeat listening qualities. I'm already planning on listening to it when I cook dinner tonight.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 848


    It's the music of the Jamaican Nightclub btw
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    The Track "Home" is different in the movie, the hums are missing 2:04-2:44 in the movie, don't know why. It's also one of my favourite tracks

    Edit: The Hums of the Track "I'll be right back" (2:43-3:05) made his way into the film
    I see, so the hums themselves were removed but the part with the piano remains? Interesting
  • Posts: 252
    jake24 wrote: »
    I see, so the hums themselves were removed but the part with the piano remains?

    Yes exactly

Sign In or Register to comment.