Quick Big Mi6 Main Villain Ranking Game

Comments

• I find it curious how different all the Blofeld interpretations are (Nehru suit notwithstanding), as if it's a blank slate character. And none of the film versions are that close to Fleming's Blofeld, who was a big man with black hair and black eyes like Mussolini. Go figure.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Our number 21:

JEROEN KRABBÉ
    as General Georgi Koskov
    in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

tumblr_my00o9XFsv1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Evading the feared bottom 5, but falling just outside the top 20, Koskov's highest score was one 5th place, with also one 7th and one 9th place amongst his biggest achievements.

Three more top 15's were noted. Georgi won't be too happy though with the 10 ratings he was awarded outside the top 20. No bottom 2's however for Koskov, but five bottom 5's nonetheless.

Georgi Koskov received 85 points in total.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,665
    I had him in 13th place. I can definitely see him not pushing all the buttons for what you want in a great villain, but I like how TLD gives us a couple of sleazy guys punching way above their weight and wreaking havoc to make some money. It's a cool approach that I think would be worth returning to in the occasional future installment.

Koskov's development from being a kind of jovial eccentric to being shown to be a loathsome opportunist is done really well, and Krabbe hits every note perfectly as far as I'm concerned.
  • I had him as 22. I like him more than Whitaker, but he still lacks most of the qualities I look for in a Bond villain.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I had him in 13th place. I can definitely see him not pushing all the buttons for what you want in a great villain, but I like how TLD gives us a couple of sleazy guys punching way above their weight and wreaking havoc to make some money. It's a cool approach that I think would be worth returning to the occasional future installment.

Koskov's development from being a kind of jovial eccentric to being shown to be a loathsome opportunist is done really well, and Krabbe hits every note perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Very good description and opinion. I ranked him only at #21 but he could easily be a few spots better. Once again, he is missing some usual main villain qualities but suits the film in a very good way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He's my #21 too.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I had him in the 19th spot. My main problem with him is that he just doesn't strike me as the type of person who would be a General in the Soviet Army. He's just a little too cowardly for that. Despite that however, I really enjoy Krabbe's performance. He's a total slimeball who plays all sides to his advantage. Another "fun" villain if you will.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,727
    Like Whitaker, I really enjoy Koskov as a villain, Krabbe does really well with the role, as pachazo says, a real slimeball. My only quibble would be that he should have died in that head on collision with the plane, would have been a spectacular exit for him!
    Yes, a slimeball in the best possible way. I like his last scene where he tried once again to convince Pushkin with his slimy attitude. However, as stated by @Mathis1 , a kill off in the explosion would have been more spectacular and somehow more satisfying.
  • I had Koskov at #14 but could have been a couple of places lower. Despite this, I really enjoy his performance for the reason that @pachazo and @Mathis1 have already said: he is a total slimeball. I much prefer his character over Whittaker's, despite Koskov's ending being rather unremarkable.
  • I also get a kick out of Koskov's slimeball antics, but can't either him or Whitaker too seriously as co-villains. Necros is more dangerous than either of them.

So far my bottom 6 picks and #19 are all out... looking at Strombo to be next!
    I also get a kick out of Koskov's slimeball antics, but can't either him or Whitaker too seriously as co-villains. Necros is more dangerous than either of them.

So far my bottom 6 picks and #19 are all out... looking at Strombo to be next!

That's kind of how I've always felt about the two. Necros is way more dangerous and threatening. Still, I enjoy them for what they are, even if they aren't amongst my favorites (Koskov especially).
    I absolutely love Koskov. He's that unreliable opportunist, stabbing everyone's back for his own advantage, using any kind of conflict to become rich and, making him even more realistic, he's extremely charming and likeable.

A real-world villain, suitable for the more real-world Dalton films. Koskov is definitely a favourite of mine.
    Yes @GeneralGogol, time for Stromberg to put his face in his own food.
    Strombergs death scene is fine, and brutal, but Jurgens just comes across as a cranky old Grandad, whose grandkids have been messing with his fish tank!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Much like there's an antihero, Koskov is the antivillain for me. He's pragmatic and an opportunist: not necessarily evil but cunning. And Krabbé plays the part well. Unfortunately, the competition is too strong, so I didn't have him very high up the list either.
    Today we're entering our top 20 with:

MATHIEU AMALRIC
    as Dominic Greene
    in QUANTUM OF SOLACE

tumblr_mv10i6Qhou1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

QOS's baddie received three top 10's: two 6th places and one 8th spot. He ended up in seven more top 15's, on four occasions he was given the 15th spot.

Five bottom 5's were also noted. Greene's worst rating was bottom of the table, on one occasion.

In total Dominic Greene obtained 90 points.
    Inevitable Dominic Greene was going to go out early! I had him at 12. Really enjoy his performance! He can give a look which is really creepy, and I love his attempt to humiliate Bond in front of Camille (......rather a tragic case..!") at the party! And his final manic attack on Bond with an axe!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    Inevitable Dominic Greene was going to go out early! I had him at 12. Really enjoy his performance! He can give a look which is really creepy, and I love his attempt to humiliate Bond in front of Camille (......rather a tragic case..!") at the party! And his final manic attack on Bond with an axe!

Agreed with every point here. I probably should have had him higher. I gave him 14th.
    I love Greene, from his bug eyes to his calm yet psychotic demeanor. The way he explodes in violence and un-choreographed rage in the finale is excellent. He came in at #8 for me, likely helped by my massive love and admiration for QoS as a whole.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 532
    I quite like Greene as well. 15 for me, which sounds low but just goes to show how quality Bond’s villain bench is. Amalric’s barely restrained psychotic performance is wonderfully creepy and sort of repulsive in a Fleming-esque way, and I like that he gets a Max Zorin style confrontation with Bond at the end. His water plot is also a top shelf modern Bond villain scheme.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,665
    I was one of the number six guys. Greene is a great character, and I think Amalric turns in one of the great performances in the series. He totally sells the idea that he has a massive and omnipotent organization behind him and is a formidable opponent to anyone around him. When he threatens Medrano, you believe him, Medrano believes him, and you believe Medrano believes him. All despite the character's superficial appearance.

Or as has been pointed out, his manic fighting against Bond is excellent, and totally surpasses any concept you may have had about an Amalric vs Craig showdown. He looks like he could kill Bond.

It's the believability that really pushes him over for me. I believe everything the movie tells me about him. And his greaseball characterization is expressed perfectly not only in Amalric's performance, but in some fantastic wardrobe choices...
    I was one of the number six guys. Greene is a great character, and I think Amalric turns in one of the great performances in the series. He totally sells the idea that he has a massive and omnipotent organization behind him and is a formidable opponent to anyone around him. When he threatens Medrano, you believe him, Medrano believes him, and you believe Medrano believes him. All despite the character's superficial appearance.

Or as has been pointed out, his manic fighting against Bond is excellent, and totally surpasses any concept you may have had about an Amalric vs Craig showdown. He looks like he could kill Bond.

It's the believability that really pushes him over for me. I believe everything the movie tells me about him. And his greaseball characterization is expressed perfectly not only in Amalric's performance, but in some fantastic wardrobe choices...

Agreed! Greene also gets one of THE standout cool scenes in the series for me, when he and Bond come face to face at rhe bottom of the stairs at the Opera!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Agreed! Greene also gets one of THE standout cool scenes in the series for me, when he and Bond come face to face at rhe bottom of the stairs at the Opera!

Now how the hell did I leave that out?! Wonderful moment.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Great moment. I love that look the two share before going separate ways, with their own separate senses of urgency. The entire Tosca sequence is brilliance to me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I quite like Greene as well. 15 for me, which sounds low but just goes to show how quality Bond’s villain bench is. Amalric’s barely restrained psychotic performance is wonderfully creepy and sort of repulsive in a Fleming-esque way, and I like that he gets a Max Zorin style confrontation with Bond at the end. His water plot is also a top shelf modern Bond villain scheme.

+1
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When Greene goes bonkers with that axe, I know why I've always liked him. Those eyes, his slightly neurotic way of talking, his cold attitude towards people... look, this man scares me, okay! He's one of the few. I am a fan. Hate to see him leave this contest so soon.
  • I'm a fan of Amalric and his performance. He did the best with the material he was given clearly added his own personal flourishes. I just wish Greene's role in the plot would've been more than about controlling the Bolivian water supply and utility rents.

I'm a fan of Amalric and his performance. He did the best with the material he was given clearly added his own personal flourishes. I just wish Greene's role in the plot would've been more than about controlling the Bolivian water supply and utility rents.

I think I remember reading that the way Greene randomly stamped strips of paper in his introduction was just something Amalric came up with. I love it.

Controlling Bolivia's water supply and installing a dictator there is pretty big. And remember, his organization was already at work on Canada's water supply, the biggest in the world. Surely it compares favorably to funding terrorists/winning a card game!
    Greene is my #14. The fight with the axe was mentioned a lot here. Love it, too. He goes all in there. He is surprisingly scary in more than one scene. Amalric definitely did the best possible with the material he got.