No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 48
    It's not possible because Bond meets Q in Skyfall. There has always been a problem of narrative coherence about this car.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    It's not possible because Bond meets Q in Skyfall. There has always been a problem of narrative coherence about this car.

Whishaw's Q is the new Quatermaster. He's not the first.
  • HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    Hum... it could work!
    Maybe the Whishaw Q was the assistant tasked with modifying the DB5 😂
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Maybe the Whishaw Q was the assistant tasked with modifying the DB5 😂

We cracked it! :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I still like to think it’s a different DB5, and Bond’s father retired to Skyfall with it. ;)
    I still like to think it’s a different DB5, and Bond’s father retired to Skyfall with it. ;)

Thomas Bond is actually Sean Connery Bond 🧠 (kidding kidding!)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Empire mag UK latest issue, Cary interview page 102. Boring article if you ask me

https://docdro.id/VEZPK4k (pdf)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    As for Bond having ANOTHER privately-owned Aston -- it seems that at the point in time in the story when Bond retrieves the car from a garage that (a) the car and he are in London -- after all, he drives it to return to MI6, parking it on the street and walking away in the silver/grey suit and that (b) it is at a point in time several years after the earlier model was quite abused in Italy. From what we've seen in previews it seems to older Aston survives, but...maybe not, maybe Bond did not have time to deal with it, given how deadly and dangerous things got there for Dr. Swann and him, maybe he gave it to Q to fix 'er up, no rush...As for Bond purchasing another Aston on his own dime, it goes along with funds for his retired life in Jamaica. Please recall in CR the brief discussion of "dipping" and how it's OK and expected but don't overdo it. Agents such as Bond are expected to make provisions themselves if they want a nice retirement if they even get the chance and don't expire on the job, and double-Os, in particular, have a short life expectancy (also from CR).

Lucky him that won his DB5 from Dimitrios. I never quite understood Q's bit about "bringing back the AM in one piece" since the DB5 was Bond's property, not MI6's. Perhaps Bond asked him to repair it after SF as a favor and Q joked about the fact that he ends up destroying everything...

Well Bond won it whilst (kind of) on a mission. He was technically awol at the time and then drafted onto the Le Chiffre thing, so maybe everything he did there got post rationalised as an official mission- or maybe signing it over to MI6 was the only way he could afford to get it shipped home! :)
    Contraband wrote: »
    Empire mag UK latest issue, Cary interview page 102. Boring article if you ask me

https://docdro.id/VEZPK4k (pdf)

Thanks for sharing! A lot of those bits were on the Criterion release, the commentary or the making of feature.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Through all of the media hype, interviews, and trailers over the past two years, Billy Magnussen has been a largely ignored and forgotten player in all of this. 🤔
  • For when Empire does come out. Ignore the jazz magazines.

https://pdfmagazines.club/
    For when Empire does come out. Ignore the jazz magazines.

https://pdfmagazines.club/

Already posted the mag as a pdf. Scroll up

Little White Lies mag, pdf

1) Page 48-51 interview with Hans Zimmer (Dune & Bond music talk)
    2) Page 64 with Cary

https://docdro.id/Q9OI7Oh
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    TripAces wrote: »
    Through all of the media hype, interviews, and trailers over the past two years, Billy Magnussen has been a largely ignored and forgotten player in all of this. 🤔

That’s true, nearly forgot about him. Can’t wait to see him in the film though.
  • TheNumberOrTheCipherTheNumberOrTheCipher Raoul Silva did a little trolling
    Tantallon wrote: »
    MI:7 and TOP GUN have been moved - PARAMOUNT has blinked [ from the Hollywood Reporter]:
    The moves come as concerns over the delta variant continue to hamper theater attendance and make releasing tentpoles into cinemas a risky proposition for studios. Paramount, like other studios, regularly consults with epidemiologists on decisions such as this, and the studio is hopeful the box office will recover in 2022 when these films are now set to open.

I'm not complaining honestly. Frees up space for other films to do better.

Thomas Bond is actually Sean Connery Bond 🧠 (kidding kidding!)

I supposed you are referring to the fact that Sean's first name actually is -- sorry, cannot get used to any past tense for him -- Thomas. Sean is his middle name. He was called "Tommy" and "Big Tam."
  • StarkStark France
    "Unless movie theaters witness a notable boost in attendance, insiders believe No TimeTo Die may have no choice but to move."

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/top-gun-maverick-film-delays-covid-1235054851/
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 500
    Stark wrote: »
    "Unless movie theaters witness a notable boost in attendance, insiders believe No TimeTo Die may have no choice but to move."

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/top-gun-maverick-film-delays-covid-1235054851/

> “How can MGM not be worried? So much of its profit is tied to Bond,” Handler says. “They can’t afford for it not to do well.”

I mean...a week ago they said more or less through the trades they can't afford another delay because of marketing cost.

Not too mention other reporting that EON wants it out fearing it'll grow stale.

The situation isn't going to drastically improve COVID wise for years. They know this.

Also "MGM can't afford x" is kind of irrelevant. They can't afford anything 😂 that's why they are selling the farm!
    Please, they promised the wait is over for f*cks sakes. They’ll only look stupid if they move it again at this point.
    It will be pushed back I fear. In Britain we could be looking at 50-60000 cases a day in a few weeks. Nearly 400 people died in last two days.

We’re not talking small numbers by any metric.

Whether that translates to people not wanting to go to the cinema I don’t know. But that’s just in this country. Globally we’re coming into autumn / winter for most of the population.

Silly timing
    Matt007 wrote: »
    It will be pushed back I fear. In Britain we could be looking at 50-60000 cases a day in a few weeks. Nearly 400 people died in last two days.

We’re not talking small numbers by any metric.

Whether that translates to people not wanting to go to the cinema I don’t know. But that’s just in this country. Globally we’re coming into autumn / winter for most of the population.

Silly timing

It's never going to be ideal timing for the next few years, that's the reality. You can either bite the bullet and accept it, or keep playing the cards that the next wave won't be worse or the next variant won't be worse.

It's all a gamble. All the timing is "silly".
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 500
    Starting to think this article is PR spin job pushed by MGM, who are still mad they weren't allowed to sell it to a streamer last fall. The highlighted parts clue that in pretty well.

xY3WyL0.png

And this second bit — why would "MGM" be worried and be inclined to move if, as the prior paragraph says, the Broccoli's have the final say and it is their fault it wasn't released on the streamer?

2kkC6wQ.png

I could be totally misreading this, it could get delayed. But this article smells like you-know-what!

EDIT: This also bears note. The unions are coming out HARD against the Amazon buy-out, because of its threats to even further vertically integrate the industry. A major concern with the move to streaming (that Christopher Nolan rightfully brought up last year) is the studios can skirt contractual obligations to the union funds and reduce payouts. https://deadline.com/2021/08/wga-ftc-amazon-mgm-merger-1234825214/
  • It’s not going to be delayed again in the UK. And, if someone wants a gentleman’s bet of a £1/$1/€1 - I’ll happily take their cash. Marketing system are in overdrive and many UK cinema chains are reporting a huge fresh buzz around ticket enquiries and pre-bookings. There is a real appetite for this film - maybe some other films are vacating their slots due to NTTD being a potential juggernaut. A huge proportion of the UK population are double jabbed, I’m not ignorant to Covid related deaths but the situation is totally different from say 12 months ago. The bigger concern right now is if the return of children to school (after the summer break) will see a spike in infections with those who have refused jabs up to this point. Sounds like MGM sour grapes to me.
    It would be a PR disaster for them and they’d be the laughing stock of the industry after the marketing machine has kicked into overdrive again for the 3rd or 4th time. Ive lost count now.
    Starting to think this article is PR spin job pushed by MGM, who are still mad they weren't allowed to sell it to a streamer last fall. The highlighted parts clue that in pretty well.

xY3WyL0.png

And this second bit — why would "MGM" be worried and be inclined to move if, as the prior paragraph says, the Broccoli's have the final say and it is their fault it wasn't released on the streamer?

2kkC6wQ.png

I could be totally misreading this, it could get delayed. But this article smells like you-know-what!

EDIT: This also bears note. The unions are coming out HARD against the Amazon buy-out, because of its threats to even further vertically integrate the industry. A major concern with the move to streaming (that Christopher Nolan rightfully brought up last year) is the studios can skirt contractual obligations to the union funds and reduce payouts. https://deadline.com/2021/08/wga-ftc-amazon-mgm-merger-1234825214/

Wasn’t it an MGM executive who said last week at the CinemaCon even that NTTD is 100% sticking to its current date?
    ertert wrote: »

xY3WyL0.png

2kkC6wQ.png

Wasn’t it an MGM executive who said last week at the CinemaCon even that NTTD is 100% sticking to its current date?

A valid point! A bit perplexed by the timing of this Variety post, considering a Universal/MGM production (Candyman) literally just overperformed expectations last weekend.

Trying to figure out the motivations of this article. The timing doesn't make a lick of sense to me — if a delay was *truly* imminent, why would they have dated the documentary for five days from now and continue to promote it? The trades aren't Woodward and Bernstein, they are extensions of studio PR departments.

Granted, they did have a trailer/Craig on Fallon *right* before the last delay. One would think they've learned their lesson PLUS the COVID situation has objectively improved relative to last year.

It doesn't make sense to me. It would have made more sense a few weeks ago, but not now when things are genuinely looking up in theaters — "Free Guy" did extremely well, "Candyman" did well. Lots of buzz "Shang-Chi" is tracking well. "No Time to Die" got a ton of buzz at CinemaCon, trailer got received well...
    ertert wrote: »

xY3WyL0.png

2kkC6wQ.png

A valid point! A bit perplexed by the timing of this Variety post, considering a Universal/MGM production (Candyman) literally just overperformed expectations last weekend.

Trying to figure out the motivations of this article. The timing doesn't make a lick of sense to me — if a delay was *truly* imminent, why would they have dated the documentary for five days from now and continue to promote it? The trades aren't Woodward and Bernstein, they are extensions of studio PR departments.

Granted, they did have a trailer/Craig on Fallon *right* before the last delay. One would think they've learned their lesson PLUS the COVID situation has objectively improved relative to last year.

It doesn't make sense to me. It would have made more sense a few weeks ago, but not now when things are genuinely looking up in theaters — "Free Guy" did extremely well, "Candyman" did well. Lots of buzz "Shang-Chi" is tracking well. "No Time to Die" got a ton of buzz at CinemaCon, trailer got received well...

The purpose of the Variety article, like every other news article these days, is to generate controversy and attention which leads to clicks which leads to $$$ for Variety. They’re just speculating and stirring up the pot.

It would be such a spectacular shot in the foot for Eon to delay it at this point. Like you said, a few weeks ago I could have seen it but now it seems too late with all the buzz it’s generating.

Something to keep in mind is that Top Gun was slated to come in Thanksgiving. It’s quite possible that Covid will be a lot worse by Thanksgiving than in only 4 weeks from now. Different time horizons.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If it is a great film, a less than stellar Boxoffice will be irrelevant and in no way an embarrassment. NTTD will find an audience and , if deserved, critical accolades. .

With the possibility of endless “ variants” , it’s time to move forward; NTTD is leading the way.
    talos7 wrote: »
    If it is a great film, a less than stellar Boxoffice will be irrelevant and in no way an embarrassment. NTTD will find an audience and , if deserved, critical accolades. .

With the possibility of endless “ variants” , it’s time to move forward; NTTD is leading the way.

That's what I think, yeah. It's not like last year where there's an active threat. We have a vaccine that works. Venues are open, nowhere is shutting down.

If NTTD is good, people will see it.