No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    New Zealand's moving back to full lockdown tonight which is a bit unexpected since it's been over a year since the last one. The Delta variant is ridiculously contagious and with less than two months to go, my confidence is waning somewhat.

It's just three days for one single case though, with luck it will stop it here.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    BMB007 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    In order to be considered a success NTTD needs to gross something like $70 million during the first domestic weekend and $30/35 during the second (when Venom 2 comes out).

That’s quite hard. :(

Success by 2019 standards or success by 2021 standards?

Remember — we're in a new environment!

2021 standards, even tho in the US a couple of months ago there was more confidence. Another key factor would be avoiding a huge drop on the 2nd weekend because October is also a very packed month.
    F9 opened with $70 million, Black Widow opened with $80 million, but they both suffered a big 67/68% drop on the 2nd weekend. Bond must avoid that, it needs a 50/55% drop. Given the fact that both F9 and BW weren’t loved by the audience and BW came out on Disney+ as well day and date I think Bond can make it, but only if it’s indeed a well reviewed blast of a film.
    In order to be considered a success NTTD needs to gross something like $70 million during the first domestic weekend and $30/35 during the second (when Venom 2 comes out).

2021 standards, even tho in the US a couple of months ago there was more confidence. Another key factor would be avoiding a huge drop on the 2nd weekend because October is also a very packed month.
    F9 opened with $70 million, Black Widow opened with $80 million, but they both suffered a big 67/68% drop on the 2nd weekend. Bond must avoid that, it needs a 50/55% drop. Given the fact that both F9 and BW weren’t loved by the audience and BW came out on Disney+ as well day and date I think Bond can make it, but only if it’s indeed a well reviewed blast of a film.
    It’s standard practice for a blockbuster to have a massive drop off in week 2. That was always the case, even pre-pandemic.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    https://007store.com/pages/safin-mask

Official Prices:
    Safin Mask (Prop Replica): £295.00
    Safin Mask - Broken (Prop Replica): £295.00
    Safin Mask - Twin Set: £695.00 (made in series of 100)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I haven’t studied the prop carefully but that looks like a pretty faithful replica to me. I bet it’ll cost a bomb! :)

£275 each, or £500 for the twin one, probably.

Wow, great guesses @Mallory ! :D
    TR007 wrote: »

It’s standard practice for a blockbuster to have a massive drop off in week 2. That was always the case, even pre-pandemic.

A 68/70 % drop on the second weekend would’ve been really bad especially pre COVID.

SF had a 53.5% drop. SP a 52% drop.

A 65/70% drop had never been “standard” for successful films.

A 68/70 % drop on the second weekend would’ve been really bad especially pre COVID.

Not true. Pirates 5 had a drop off of 65% in week 2. Batman v Superman had a drop of 69%. Last Jedi 67%. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a 72% drop.
    All huge successful blockbuster movies, arguably bigger than Bond and these examples are all pre-pandemic.
    So you’re point is moot.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I haven’t studied the prop carefully but that looks like a pretty faithful replica to me. I bet it’ll cost a bomb! :)

Not too far off. I thought they would do a discount for the combined one, but alas not.

Anyway, more NTTD merch on the 007 store:

Sea Plane T Shirt
    https://007store.com/products/james-bond-no-time-to-die-seaplane-t-shirt
    Even though they're not making as much money as pre-pandemic films of their sort, even accounting for them not being among the best films of their sort, the recent relatively successful releases were released during a moment in time -- at least, here in the US -- just before the Covid concerns ratcheted up again. In a tough among the waves of troubles, so to speak. The waves are peaking again, and may not bode well for the release timeframe for NTTD. So, simply looking at those recent releases, and noting how much they brought in, and thinking NTTD will do better because it is expected to be a more entertaining film, may be too linear an analysis, without enough taken into account.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343

Not true. Pirates 5 had a drop off of 65% in week 2. Batman v Superman had a drop of 69%. Last Jedi 67%. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a 72% drop.
    All huge successful blockbuster movies, arguably bigger than Bond and these examples are all pre-pandemic.
    So you’re point is moot.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

HP is an exception since it had a totally INSANE record breaking opening weekend but still that drop was quite shocking: https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/blogs/movie-talk/1st-worst-harry-potter-posts-biggest-2nd-week-234546612.html
    BvS had a huge opening weekend but that 69% was a total disaster. Just read this THR article titled: Box Office: Inside ‘Batman v. Superman’s’ Historic Drop-off: https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/box-office-inside-batman-v-880143/amp/
    Same for TLJ: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Had a Massive Second Weekend Drop at the Box Office: https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/24/star-wars-the-last-jedi-had-a-massive-second-weekend-drop-at-the-box-office?amp=1
    Pirates 5 had the most disappointing box office run in the history of the franchise: https://www.google.it/amp/s/screenrant.com/pirates-caribbean-5-friday-box-office-drop/amp/
    Except for HP all those films suffered from a mixed/poor reception from the audience. Films like TLJ or BvS are extremely controversial movies that are still generating fights and discussion online. BvS killed the DCEU (what a success lol) and TLJ alienated half of the SW fans, paving the way to an extremely financially disappointing final chapter of the trilogy.

Things must be put into the right perspective and you’re clearly not doing that.

The worst Craig drop off was QoS (60%) and coincidentally it had the lowest Cinemascore ever for the Craig Era, without mentioning the fact that in the real world outside the 007 fandom it’s universally regarded as the worst Bond with Daniel playing the role.

So you’re point is moot.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

HP is an exception since it had a totally INSANE record breaking opening weekend but still that drop was quite shocking: https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/blogs/movie-talk/1st-worst-harry-potter-posts-biggest-2nd-week-234546612.html
    BvS had a huge opening weekend but that 69% was a total disaster. Just read this THR article titled: Box Office: Inside ‘Batman v. Superman’s’ Historic Drop-off: https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/box-office-inside-batman-v-880143/amp/
    Same for TLJ: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Had a Massive Second Weekend Drop at the Box Office: https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/24/star-wars-the-last-jedi-had-a-massive-second-weekend-drop-at-the-box-office?amp=1
    Pirates 5 had the most disappointing box office run in the history of the franchise: https://www.google.it/amp/s/screenrant.com/pirates-caribbean-5-friday-box-office-drop/amp/
    Except for HP all those films suffered from a mixed/poor reception from the audience. Films like TLJ or BvS are extremely controversial movies that are still generating fights and discussion online. BvS killed the DCEU (what a success lol) and TLJ alienated half of the SW fans, paving the way to an extremely financially disappointing final chapter of the trilogy.

Things must be put into the right perspective and you’re clearly not doing that.

The worst Craig drop off was QoS (60%) and coincidentally it had the lowest Cinemascore ever for the Craig Era, without mentioning the fact that in the real world outside the 007 fandom it’s universally regarded as the worst Bond with Daniel playing the role.
    You can do as many mental gymnastics as possible to twist the figures to suit you’re narrative but big drop offs were common place before Covid and aren’t the big deal that doomsayers like you are making them out to be post Covid.
    It’s a common thing within the industry.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,918

Not too far off. I thought they would do a discount for the combined one, but alas not.

Anyway, more NTTD merch on the 007 store:

Sea Plane T Shirt
    https://007store.com/products/james-bond-no-time-to-die-seaplane-t-shirt

Interesting, thanks. You'd think there would be more interesting potential shirts than that one to be made though: come on, 007 store.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Those are facts, not mental gymnastics.

I’m not a doomsayer, I’m just realistic.

A 65/70% drop off has always been considered a disappointment. That’s it.

This is how a 67% 2nd weekend drop off is welcomed in the pandemic era: https://www.google.it/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/07/black-widow-mcu-record-second-weekend-box-office-drop-disney-piracy-1234795325/amp/

So successful that even theaters are complaining about it…
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited August 2021 Posts: 565
    With the announcements of new merchandise and the behind the scenes clip I feel its safe to say that there wont be a delay announcement this week. Which means two more weeks until we are out of Varietys identified delay window.

Bentley007 wrote: »
    With the announcements of new merchandise and the behind the scenes clip I feel its safe to say that there wont be a delay announcement this week. Which means two more weeks until we are out of Varietys identified delay window.

Alas the marketing and merchandise departments will be the last to know.

See April 2020 and November 2020.
    The marketing and merchandise departments will be the last to know.

I think so, too.

When there is a meeting with the financial departments and the CEOs of EON, MGM, Anapurna (United Artists), Universal - they will decide what to do.
    And then the marketing department has to communicate as fast as possible.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,055
    Jan1985 wrote: »

I think so, too.

When there is a meeting with the financial departments and the CEOs of EON, MGM, Anapurna (United Artists), Universal - they will decide what to do.

If memory serves correctly the Universal marketing dept were still offering cast for interview in the days after the film had been postponed from April 2020 to November 2020.

Then in November 2020 they released new trailers and posters, then delayed fairly quickly again.

Trailer 2 - 03/09/20
    Second Delay - 03/10/20

So even if those discussions are currently going on, the marketing dept havent been told to pull back. Not yet anyway.

I think so, too.

If memory serves correctly the Universal marketing dept were still offering cast for interview in the days after the film had been postponed from April 2020 to November 2020.

Then in November 2020 they released new trailers and posters, then delayed fairly quickly again.

So even if those discussions are currently going on, the marketing dept havent been told to pull back. Not yet anyway.

All I wanted to say, is, that the marketing department has to release the statement of the postponement, WHEN they decide to postpone. So of course the marketing department will know about another delay, before we do.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I think so, too.

Trailer 2 - 03/09/20
    Second Delay - 03/10/20

Wasn't it MGM that pulled the trigger on the trailer? Universal/EON wanted to delay.
    You'd think they'd want to make this decision ASAP to not blow even more money on marketing
    ertert wrote: »
    You'd think they'd want to make this decision ASAP to not blow even more money on marketing

You would think that but logic seems to be lost in all the delays. I am nervous but hopeful that the release will stick barring large scale shutdowns around the release. I hope New Zealand and other countries put measures in place now that will help in late September.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    Bentley007 wrote: »

You would think that but logic seems to be lost in all the delays. I am nervous but hopeful that the release will stick barring large scale shutdowns around the release. I hope New Zealand and other countries put measures in place now that will help in late September.

Agreed which is why I really hope they've given up on their insistence on making $1bil unless they're prepared to delay until 2023, which I think is entirely possible to have to wait that long to see the film.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 625
    I really hope they've given up on their insistence on making $1bil unless they're prepared to delay until 2023, which I think is entirely possible to have to wait that long to see the film.

Yes, it's possible.

Germany's Federal Minister of Health recently said, that the Covid-rules (only every 2nd seat occupied, only vaccinated people, masks etc.) will be in place at least until spring 2022.
    So before summer 2022 there won't be any "life like in the old days" - at least not in Germany.
    And even then they will look at the situation again.

So there would be no use to postpone to November/December 2021, or to March/April 2022.
    They would have to go to at least July or Fall 2022. And we don't know how life will be then.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    I really hope they've given up on their insistence on making $1bil unless they're prepared to delay until 2023, which I think is entirely possible to have to wait that long to see the film.

Yes, it's possible.

Germany's Federal Minister of Health recently said, that the Covid-rules (only every 2nd seat occupied, only vaccinated people, masks etc.) will be in place at least until spring 2022.
    So before summer 2022 there won't be any "life like in the old days" - at least not in Germany.

So there would be no use to postpone to November/December 2021, or to March/April 2022.
    They would have to go to at least July or Fall 2022. And we don't know how life will be then.

Yeah I'm thinking early to mid 2023 is the best time if they're adamant on having pre-Covid box office. Avatar is coming out christmas 2022 and they'll want to use that as a test case probably.

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if no delay is announced at all, they announce they're pulling it from the calendar and don't announce a new date til mid 2022.

Yes, it's possible.

Yeah I'm thinking early to mid 2023 is the best time if they're adamant on having pre-Covid box office. Avatar is coming out christmas 2022 and they'll want to use that as a test case probably.

Yes, it's possible.

With the No Time To Die merchandise selling out as fast as they put it out there I wonder if EON and co. can make some profit from this to offset costs. If so keeping pushing out merch.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    aaron819 wrote: »

Official Prices:

I will have one in marzipan, please.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland

Official Prices:

Surprisingly, the twin set has already been sold out after being put on sale only today!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Official Prices:

Surprisingly, the twin set has already been sold out after being put on sale only today!

People must have the munchies during lockdowns.
    Bond-007-Landscape2.jpg

Bond-007-Landscape3.jpg

Better resolution from 007.com

So what happens to NTTD and the Bond franchise if there is a new variant every year?