No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    aaron819 wrote: »

Old footage. That account has taken (YT-posted) footage taken by bystanders, and
    from an italian guy (Fabrizio, he made a lot of money from media), plus YT-footage from Jonathan and Thomas, both members on this forum.
    Mallory wrote: »

Very cool. I guess another good sign about confidence in
    the release date?
    ertert wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

Very cool. I guess another good sign about confidence in
    the release date?

Would seem to me to be that!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I haven’t studied the prop carefully but that looks like a pretty faithful replica to me. I bet it’ll cost a bomb! :)
    Kinda seems like they're dropping subtle hints that things are proceeding but that could be my wishful thinking. Occasional updates on the 007 twitter and now the masks being sold. Would be nice if they would just come out and say "yes, we are still planning to stick to the date".
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Tantallon wrote: »
    Before you all start getting too excited, see this from today's VARIETY:

[i]As COVID-19 cases surge and moviegoing remains rocky, Hollywood is examining the movie genres making money on the big screen. Already, Sony pushed back the release of “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” by a few weeks, and Paramount postponed “Clifford the Big Red Dog.” Questions still remain about plans for MGM’s James Bond sequel “No Time to Die,” Paramount’s “Top Gun: Maverick” and Disney and “Marvel’s “Eternals” — three big films that, for now, don’t have a backstop in immediate streaming availability. Studio insiders privately say they have two or three weeks before they need to make tough decisions about whether or not to delay major fall films. The prolonged sense of uncertainty has left theaters caught in the crossfire, with essentially zero bargaining power to prevent studios from delaying major movies or putting them directly on streaming platforms.[/i]

Seems like 50/50 at this point. The U.S. is getting hammered by Delta. In the coming weeks there could be bigger surges in places like LA and NYC but they will be much smaller due to the higher vax rates. Either way people will be very reluctant to go to the movies.

The only thing keeping me optimistic about the current date sticking is the fact that they've spent a lot of money on marketing at the Olympics and securing venues in Europe for the premiere.

If they delay again it's entirely possible we won't see the film for 1-2 years considering that's how long it will probably be before the kind of box office profits that Eon wants will be attainable again. Another delay likely will not be the last one.

The studios need to accept they are never going to get those profits with the current slate of films. They are chasing a ghost that isn't there.

Agreed but every statement by Eon seems to indicate they refuse to grasp this. Hopefully their expectations have adjusted in recent months but there is no evidence of this.

Suppose every day they don't delay it is a saving grace. Every dollar they spend, every venue they book for a premiere. Wish we'd just know.

Total bs 60,000 people can go to a concert in my town but I can't go to a movie.

I just wonder at what point can they simply not delay anymore? How much $$ has to be wasted before they decide to just cut their losses. Is there no defined metric and Eon can delay til 2023 when moviegoing is back to 2019 levels?

What I fail to understand is this:

MI6 HQ made the argument that interest expense has gotten to a point that they need ~1 billion to break even. Let's assume for a moment this is true (I disagree with their analysis but I'll put that aside).

If they are waiting until 2023 to get a billion, that's two more years of interest! Which will raise it even more! EON is being Sisyphus. Just let the boulder roll.

I could be wrong but I remember reading that the movie was not financed therefore no interest and they can sit on it as long as they want. If that is true, and again a big if, the only variable is all the $$ wasted on marketing and securing venues for the premiere events. How many more times can they afford to do that? At some point it just becomes a meme / joke to constantly see trailers saying "Bond is back" only to have it delayed one month before release. But general audiences probably do not care and will go see it whenever it comes out, even if it's in 2023. Eon knows this.

Another important aspect is the disastrous PR and implications for the industry / movie theater chains barely hanging on if they wait til late 2022 or 2023, despite plenty of other movies, albeit smaller ones, proceeding with release.

I wouldn't be surprised if rather than announce a new date 6 months from now that they probably won't even stick to, they just pull it off the calendars entirely and go radio silent til at least summer-fall 2022. Leave with a vague statement like "We are committed to releasing the film to a worldwide theatrical audience and will do so when conditions improve" or something along those lines. That's basically what they've said with previous delays, only this time no new date will accompany it.

I think everyone understands why they keep delaying it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    mtm wrote: »
    I haven’t studied the prop carefully but that looks like a pretty faithful replica to me. I bet it’ll cost a bomb! :)

£275 each, or £500 for the twin one, probably.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,933
    Kinda seems like they're dropping subtle hints that things are proceeding but that could be my wishful thinking. Occasional updates on the 007 twitter and now the masks being sold. Would be nice if they would just come out and say "yes, we are still planning to stick to the date".

How else do they say that other than having a release date (which they currently do) though? It’s coming out on the 30/9 at the moment.
    mtm wrote: »

How else do they say that other than having a release date (which they currently do) though? It’s coming out on the 30/9 at the moment.

Fair point. Just seems like there's a lot of bad PR around the film's likelihood of releasing this time. Although it's probably amplified due to my time on these boards and general audiences are completely ignorant of articles in Variety and elsewhere casting doubt.
    Something to potentially look forward too - MGM and UA are presenting at Cinemacon next week
    https://cinemacon.com/schedule/#horizontalTab2

For Spectre, they screened a clip of the scene with Bond and Moneypenny (and that recording of M) in the former's flat...and at CineEurope a few months later they screened an earlier version of the full trailer. Don't expect anything online immediately as it's an industry only event from which nothing ever leaks
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    antovolk wrote: »
    Something to potentially look forward too - MGM and UA are presenting at Cinemacon next week
    https://cinemacon.com/schedule/#horizontalTab2

For Spectre, they screened a clip of the scene with Bond and Moneypenny (and that recording of M) in the former's flat...and at CineEurope a few months later they screened an earlier version of the full trailer. Don't expect anything online immediately as it's an industry only event from which nothing ever leaks

@Antovolk are you feeling good about the current release date?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am back to being optimistic about NTTD's release in September. And it's potential success.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/box-office-free-guy-ryan-reynolds-1235041899/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In order to be considered a success NTTD needs to gross something like $70 million during the first domestic weekend and $30/35 during the second (when Venom 2 comes out).

That’s quite hard. :(
    matt_u wrote: »
    In order to be considered a success NTTD needs to gross something like $70 million during the first domestic weekend and $30/35 during the second (when Venom 2 comes out).

Sadly very little chance of that. Either they accept that and go full steam ahead and hope for the best or they continue being stubborn and insisting on pre-2020 profits
  • Watching Innocent on ITV and discovered that TV actress Priyanga Burford is playing Dr Symes in No Time to Die.

Success by 2019 standards or success by 2021 standards?

Remember — we're in a new environment!

Success by 2019 standards or success by 2021 standards?

Remember — we're in a new environment!

Yep. But I don’t know if Eon does. They’ve made it clear they will hold out until it can be an absolute smash hit

For reference, Black Widow did $80M, and that is with Disney+ Premier Access eating into those numbers. I think it hit $50M in week 2.

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Best case scenario is if we get a Skyfall effect, where strongly positive word of mouth coincides with rapidly decreasing Covid cases for Oct into Nov and gives this release some very late “legs” at the box office.
    Best case scenario is if we get a Skyfall effect, where strongly positive word of mouth coincides with rapidly decreasing Covid cases for Oct into Nov and gives this release some very late “legs” at the box office.

People will fill theaters for weeks and weeks to see Léa Seydoux cry for three hours. I'm only partially joking.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490

Thing is if Eon will delay before cases have a chance to start decreasing. It’s pretty bad here in the states.

But yes this would be excellent

Thing is if Eon will delay before cases have a chance to start decreasing. It’s pretty bad here in the states.

It's bad in the states but also no one cares. Important to keep this in mind — nothing will shut down in the United States (regardless of if it should) because of the politicization of COVID plus corporate power.

Indeed. But thankfully, vaccination rates have taken off again, and I think theater chains might institute vaccination passports. If the latter happens, millions of people will be more inclined to hit the theaters. Let's hope so.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    I am back to being optimistic about NTTD's release in September. And it's potential success.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/box-office-free-guy-ryan-reynolds-1235041899/

What the article states about Free Guy - that it skewed 80% to the 18+ crowd - also applies to Bond. Families with young children may be withholding visits to the cinema, but adults and older males in particular are showing up. And if there's one film that the 18+ crowd will go to during the pandemic, it will be NTTD.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Perhaps reading too much into it, but in French sa fin translates to:

sa - it's / her / his
    fin - end

Hahaha, no way. Combine this with his first name (Lucifer). This will rule.
    I’m 100% sure someone already pointed it out like 1/2 years ago. Anyway cool stuff.

Yeah, around the time of the release of his name this was pointed out already.
    Contraband wrote: »
    PTS 18 min. Think it was Cary or MGW who said it in Total film or Empire

And that the Norway part would only be spoken in french.

I always wondered if they would make a longer PTS than The World Is Not Enough (I think that's the longest at like 13 or 14 minutes?)

It makes sense considering this is the longest running time of any Bond film.
  • This is just so difficult to predict as to which way they'll go. If the recent detailed financial analysis is accurate [ that it has to make north of $900million just to break even] I don't see it getting released in 5 weeks' time. The Guardian just recently quoted an epidemiologist in the UK saying he expects infection rates to go significantly up in late September as schools go back and more wage slaves return to their offices - just at the time this jinxed movie is due to get released. A fiendishly difficult decision to make, either way.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    New Zealand's moving back to full lockdown tonight which is a bit unexpected since it's been over a year since the last one. The Delta variant is ridiculously contagious and with less than two months to go, my confidence is waning somewhat.