No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    So pretty much like the QOS soundtrack which also had the title song listed as the last track.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The double vinyl release features another 4 tracks after Billie’s song: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4.
    ???
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    matt_u wrote: »
    The double vinyl release features another 4 tracks after Billie’s song: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4.
    ???

There could be extras, as someone said here, of the actual PTS Norway scene. Since the gun barrel ends in such an ominous fashion, and yet somehow Matera is the net track, this could have still been hidden from the public.
    They're at the very end of the album so likely just some bonus cues.

And definitely no need to read too much into Billie's song being at the end of the OST. It'll be in its usual place in the film.
    What we want is the demo of the song recorded in a bus that they talk about each time in the interviews, but that not let us hear...
    antovolk wrote: »
    They're at the very end of the album so likely just some bonus cues.

And definitely no need to read too much into Billie's song being at the end of the OST. It'll be in its usual place in the film.

There was some talk already confirming that the PTS occurred after the Matera sequence, right?
    More that it would start in Norway and then segue to Matera, and then the titles after.
    Yes the PTS features both Norway and Matera and I’m pretty sure the two sequences will be tied by the fact that Swann is underwater in both of them. She’s underwater in the lake as seen in the trailer and then cut to Swann underwater in the Mediterranean Sea with Bond waiting for her by the shore (as seen in some promo). The song kicks in after Matera.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Wouldnt be surprise if we are looking at 30 mins plus until the titles.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    BMB007 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Looking over the soundtrack listing, now with the duration of each musical number shown, I wonder: Will the NTTD theme song not show up until the end of the film ? I realize that the order of song titles need not be the order in which the musical performances appear in the film, but, with other things known, it seems it could make more sense than having it in the beginning. In fact, perhaps not even have a title sequence until the end of the film...

It's possible that Zimmer has his own instrumental version of the song, and that it may be used for the final scene, leading to the end credits.

Confirmed that the song as released will be on the soundtrack, not an instrumental if I recall correctly.

Excellent.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Mallory wrote: »

I say bring it on! While I can appreciate the short and sweet pre-title sequences, I also like the more bombastic ones and TWINE's has always been a personal favourite.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Ryan wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

I say bring it on! While I can appreciate the short and sweet pre-title sequences, I also like the more bombastic ones and TWINE's has always been a personal favourite.

Didn't MGW say it was about 26 mins long?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Yes the PTS features both Norway and Matera and I’m pretty sure the two sequences will be tied by the fact that Swann is underwater in both of them. She’s underwater in the lake as seen in the trailer and then cut to Swann underwater in the Mediterranean Sea with Bond waiting for her by the shore (as seen in some promo). The song kicks in after Matera.

This has to be spot on.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    PTS 18 min. Think it was Cary or MGW who said it in Total film or Empire

And that the Norway part would only be spoken in french.

edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

This has to be spot on.

Then water carries also an obvious dream like symbolism so cutting to adult Swann right after that horrific flashback when Safin tried to kill her, trapped under water in the frozen lake, could add to that memory a further nightmarish dreamy feeling.
    Contraband wrote: »

I almost forgot about this detail and I love it. Am I wrong or we already have confirmation that Safin
    actually kills Swann’s mother in the PTS?

I’m sure I read it somewhere. Too much time has passed

This has to be spot on.

Well plus water carries also an obvious dream like symbolism so cutting to adult Swann right after that horrific flashback when Safin tried to kill her, trapped under water, could add to that memory a further nightmarish dreamy feeling.

I almost forgot about this detail and I love it. Am I wrong or we already have confirmation that Safin

I'm not certain, I thought
    Swann's mother was who they go to in Norway? But I could be misremembering

Anyhow — great take on the water/dreamlike symbolism. Don't know if anyone here has seen it, but "Sin nombre" does a lot of cool stuff with water in its ending. Come to think of it, so does "Beasts of No Nations".

This has to be spot on.

Well plus water carries also an obvious dream like symbolism so cutting to adult Swann right after that horrific flashback when Safin tried to kill her, trapped under water, could add to that memory a further nightmarish dreamy feeling.

Anyhow — great take on the water/dreamlike symbolism. Don't know if anyone here has seen it, but "Sin nombre" does a lot of cool stuff with water in its ending. Come to think of it, so does "Beasts of No Nations".

The water symbolism may also have significance to Bond as well.
    At the end of NTTD we see Madeleine and Bond together in that one scene from the Billie Eilish music video. As Madeleine is about to board a boat to take her away from Safin's lair, you can see that she is all wet and her hair is soaked.

unknown.png

What if this is a parallel to Vespers death in CR?
    Perhaps she was pushed into the water by Safin, or the naval attack on the base destabilised the base and caused her to fall and be trapped in the water?
    But unlike CR, this time Bond does manage to save the girl he loves and it serves as sort of a throwback, as well as resolution, to Vesper's death?
    We know that this movie connects back to all of Craig's movies, like what if this is a homage to that?

This has to be spot on.

At the end of NTTD we see Madeleine and Bond together in that one scene from the Billie Eilish music video. As Madeleine is about to board a boat to take her away from Safin's lair, you can see that she is all wet and her hair is soaked.

unknown.png

Perhaps she was pushed into the water by Safin, or the naval attack on the base destabilised the base and caused her to fall and be trapped in the water?
    But unlike CR, this time Bond does manage to save the girl he loves and it serves as sort of a throwback, as well as resolution, to Vesper's death?
    We know that this movie connects back to all of Craig's movies, like what if this is a homage to that?

Ooo, I love that! Thanks for sharing — totally gonna headcanon that now.
    Is anyone else finding the podcast links broken for the NTTD podcast? I've been wanting to archive the first episode earlier but the apple links are broken and the other sites are completely gone.
    It probably won’t be active until they start uploading new eps. It’s been a dead link for awhile now.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Is anyone else finding the podcast links broken for the NTTD podcast? I've been wanting to archive the first episode earlier but the apple links are broken and the other sites are completely gone.

Ask the host @jameskingmovies on twitter. Probably intentionally broken links

This has to be spot on.

unknown.png

Yeah it makes perfect sense and would be very cool.

This has to be spot on.

Found it, the original article is from the WSJ and says that
    Safin actually kills her in the PTS.

I always pictured her mom taking care of Mathilde at their house in Norway.
  • Before you all start getting too excited, see this from today's VARIETY:

[i]As COVID-19 cases surge and moviegoing remains rocky, Hollywood is examining the movie genres making money on the big screen. Already, Sony pushed back the release of “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” by a few weeks, and Paramount postponed “Clifford the Big Red Dog.” Questions still remain about plans for MGM’s James Bond sequel “No Time to Die,” Paramount’s “Top Gun: Maverick” and Disney and “Marvel’s “Eternals” — three big films that, for now, don’t have a backstop in immediate streaming availability. Studio insiders privately say they have two or three weeks before they need to make tough decisions about whether or not to delay major fall films. The prolonged sense of uncertainty has left theaters caught in the crossfire, with essentially zero bargaining power to prevent studios from delaying major movies or putting them directly on streaming platforms.[/i]
    Tantallon wrote: »
    Before you all start getting too excited, see this from today's VARIETY:

[i]As COVID-19 cases surge and moviegoing remains rocky, Hollywood is examining the movie genres making money on the big screen. Already, Sony pushed back the release of “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” by a few weeks, and Paramount postponed “Clifford the Big Red Dog.” Questions still remain about plans for MGM’s James Bond sequel “No Time to Die,” Paramount’s “Top Gun: Maverick” and Disney and “Marvel’s “Eternals” — three big films that, for now, don’t have a backstop in immediate streaming availability. Studio insiders privately say they have two or three weeks before they need to make tough decisions about whether or not to delay major fall films. The prolonged sense of uncertainty has left theaters caught in the crossfire, with essentially zero bargaining power to prevent studios from delaying major movies or putting them directly on streaming platforms.[/i]

Seems like 50/50 at this point. The U.S. is getting hammered by Delta. In the coming weeks there could be bigger surges in places like LA and NYC but they will be much smaller due to the higher vax rates. Either way people will be very reluctant to go to the movies.

The only thing keeping me optimistic about the current date sticking is the fact that they've spent a lot of money on marketing at the Olympics and securing venues in Europe for the premiere.

If they delay again it's entirely possible we won't see the film for 1-2 years considering that's how long it will probably be before the kind of box office profits that Eon wants will be attainable again. Another delay likely will not be the last one.
    ertert wrote: »

Seems like 50/50 at this point. The U.S. is getting hammered by Delta. In the coming weeks there could be bigger surges in places like LA and NYC but they will be much smaller due to the higher vax rates. Either way people will be very reluctant to go to the movies.

The only thing keeping me optimistic about the current date sticking is the fact that they've spent a lot of money on marketing at the Olympics and securing venues in Europe for the premiere.

If they delay again it's entirely possible we won't see the film for 1-2 years considering that's how long it will probably be before the kind of box office profits that Eon wants will be attainable again. Another delay likely will not be the last one.

The studios need to accept they are never going to get those profits with the current slate of films. They are chasing a ghost that isn't there.

The studios need to accept they are never going to get those profits with the current slate of films. They are chasing a ghost that isn't there.

Agreed but every statement by Eon seems to indicate they refuse to grasp this. Hopefully their expectations have adjusted in recent months but there is no evidence of this.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 500

Agreed but every statement by Eon seems to indicate they refuse to grasp this. Hopefully their expectations have adjusted in recent months but there is no evidence of this.

Suppose every day they don't delay it is a saving grace. Every dollar they spend, every venue they book for a premiere. Wish we'd just know.

Total bs 60,000 people can go to a concert in my town but I can't go to a movie.

Suppose every day they don't delay it is a saving grace. Every dollar they spend, every venue they book for a premiere. Wish we'd just know.

Total bs 60,000 people can go to a concert in my town but I can't go to a movie.

I just wonder at what point can they simply not delay anymore? How much $$ has to be wasted before they decide to just cut their losses. Is there no defined metric and Eon can delay til 2023 when moviegoing is back to 2019 levels?

I just wonder at what point can they simply not delay anymore? How much $$ has to be wasted before they decide to just cut their losses. Is there no defined metric and Eon can delay til 2023 when moviegoing is back to 2019 levels?

What I fail to understand is this:

MI6 HQ made the argument that interest expense has gotten to a point that they need ~1 billion to break even. Let's assume for a moment this is true (I disagree with their analysis but I'll put that aside).

If they are waiting until 2023 to get a billion, that's two more years of interest! Which will raise it even more! EON is being Sisyphus. Just let the boulder roll.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490

What I fail to understand is this:

MI6 HQ made the argument that interest expense has gotten to a point that they need ~1 billion to break even. Let's assume for a moment this is true (I disagree with their analysis but I'll put that aside).

If they are waiting until 2023 to get a billion, that's two more years of interest! Which will raise it even more! EON is being Sisyphus. Just let the boulder roll.

I could be wrong but I remember reading that the movie was not financed therefore no interest and they can sit on it as long as they want. If that is true, and again a big if, the only variable is all the $$ wasted on marketing and securing venues for the premiere events. How many more times can they afford to do that? At some point it just becomes a meme / joke to constantly see trailers saying "Bond is back" only to have it delayed one month before release. But general audiences probably do not care and will go see it whenever it comes out, even if it's in 2023. Eon knows this.

Another important aspect is the disastrous PR and implications for the industry / movie theater chains barely hanging on if they wait til late 2022 or 2023, despite plenty of other movies, albeit smaller ones, proceeding with release.

I wouldn't be surprised if rather than announce a new date 6 months from now that they probably won't even stick to, they just pull it off the calendars entirely and go radio silent til at least summer-fall 2022. Leave with a vague statement like "We are committed to releasing the film to a worldwide theatrical audience and will do so when conditions improve" or something along those lines. That's basically what they've said with previous delays, only this time no new date will accompany it.