No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    antovolk wrote: »
    Cineworld and Odeon in the UK have both today put up (no doubt coordinated with Universal) 'everything you need to know' blogs about the film:

https://www.odeon.co.uk/odeon-scene/no-time-to-die-release-date-cast-trailer-song-bond-25/
    https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/blog/no-time-to-die-everything-we-know-about-the-new-james-bond-movie

First link:

Producer Barbara Broccoli has spoken of reflecting the #MeToo movement, and you feel the winds of change in Nomi (Lashana Lynch): a confident young agent who wants Bond off the mission, not least because, with Bond’s retirement, she inherited his ‘007’ agent designation.

That’s right! As No Time to Die opens, the new 007 is a woman.

The real question is, will she still have the codename when the credits roll?

• HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    edited August 2021 Posts: 204
    The Scooby gang according to Odeon:

“And as for Bond’s backroom staff, you can set your laser watch by dad-bod action-hero and intelligence chief M (Ralph Fiennes), PA-on-steroids Eve Moneypenny (Naomie Harris) and fastidious knitwear-aficionado and MI6 gadget-master Q (Ben Whishaw).”
    If films get produced more and more for a home audience, will the budgets get smaller ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ‘Dad-bod action hero’ is a really curious way of looking at M! :)
    Cineworld and Odeon in the UK have both today put up (no doubt coordinated with Universal) 'everything you need to know' blogs about the film:

https://www.odeon.co.uk/odeon-scene/no-time-to-die-release-date-cast-trailer-song-bond-25/
    https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/blog/no-time-to-die-everything-we-know-about-the-new-james-bond-movie

It's like every time I start to get nervous about it being released, they send me a sign that everything is gonna be alright lol
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Hoping to see the movie this year, but not entirely confident. Depending on the Variant numbers I might skip the theater and wait for a home release.

I've yet to see a Bond in theaters, so I'm not too worried about waiting for the Blu-ray. I just hope those who are more comfortable with the pandemic can see the movie this year. We could be dealing with this for a few more years. Might as well bite the bullet now.

Have you been vaccinated?

Yes. Just got my second shot a few days ago.

BMB007 wrote: »

It's like every time I start to get nervous about it being released, they send me a sign that everything is gonna be alright lol

Same. And then I get nervous again haha
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Contraband wrote: »

First link:

Producer Barbara Broccoli has spoken of reflecting the #MeToo movement, and you feel the winds of change in Nomi (Lashana Lynch): a confident young agent who wants Bond off the mission, not least because, with Bond’s retirement, she inherited his ‘007’ agent designation.

I hope Bond gets his code number back but I doubt it. I don't think Nomi will give it up or she'll die in NTTD. The only way it'll revert to Bond is if she's revealed to be a traitor
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Jordo007 wrote: »

First link:

I hope Bond gets his code number back but I doubt it. I don't think Nomi will give it up or she'll die in NTTD. The only way it'll revert to Bond is if she's revealed to be a traitor

It's already been revealed pretty much Nomi and none of the female main cast will die in NTTD so probably not. Probs will give it back after she comes to know Bond and sees him in a friendly way
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I don't think he'll be getting it back. It would make no sense, and in my eyes would just be pandering to the codename as iconography as opposed to something that would realistically stay with her. The codename doesn't have the same relevance to those within the context of the film as it does to us
    While we are on the topic of information, a while back I heard from this thread that Eva Green was apparently called back to do some work on NTTD somewhere. Can someone link me all the detail on that?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Since62 wrote: »
    If films get produced more and more for a home audience, will the budgets get smaller ?

I'm luke-warm on the idea of big-budget action films being released for streaming. This doesn't mean I am averse to Netflix and Prime being the home for films, just not certain kinds of films. I saw Mank and Nomadland on TV and I don't think I lost anything in the process. But those films are very different from a Bond film, as many would agree.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't think he'll be getting it back. It would make no sense, and in my eyes would just be pandering to the codename as iconography as opposed to something that would realistically stay with her. The codename doesn't have the same relevance to those within the context of the film as it does to us

I agree. There's a thousand ways the film ends — but I can't imagine it is a "Skyfall" where's he's in M's office going back into the blue yonder. I'm fairly certain Bond/Nomi is a sort of "passing of the torch" sort of thing, for both of them, as the film and their relationship dynamic progresses. Can't wait!

I agree. There's a thousand ways the film ends — but I can't imagine it is a "Skyfall" where's he's in M's office going back into the blue yonder. I'm fairly certain Bond/Nomi is a sort of "passing of the torch" sort of thing, for both of them, as the film and their relationship dynamic progresses. Can't wait!

From a while back, it seems that there could have been a magazine article discussing it, not to mention a plethora of promotional material with Nomi named as 003.
    jake24 wrote: »
    3 months 4 weeks till we might actually get to see this thing...

And @ImpertinentGoon...

I personally think it won't be addressed bar a line here or there when they meet and then at the end. I also believe Bond won't be offered the designation back or whatever, I think it'll be Nomi's from the beginning to the end and it'll just be a matter of Bond giving his own approval of Nomi as the new 007 after working together, and Nomi will respect James Bond as her predecessor, which won't be the case at the start. Overall, I imagine Craig might have a more jovial response to Nomi, in that while she'll be quite serious as well as witty, Craig's Bond will have more fun with it, which could rub Nomi the wrong way at first. Then when the stakes rise and rise, things will get more and more serious for both of them.
    Hasn’t it been all but officially confirmed that Nomi is
    003 by the end?
    I didn't know about that, where did we hear that from?

Think it was in some magazine interview with Lashana

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,006
    It really all depends on how they handle it.
    I could imagine the dialogue being something like:
    Bond: “Are you a double 0?”
    Nomi: “Seven”.
    Bond: (shocked face)

Also have a feeling they will leave the 007 designation ambiguous at the end.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m pretty confident Nomi will be 007 from start to finish.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I can’t see it ending on him returning to MI6. He’s left.
    matt_u wrote: »

If below is the official plot synopsis, I don't understand how Nomi can be 007, when they literally refer to Bond as 007:
    James Bond (Daniel Craig) has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) from the CIA turns up asking for help, and M (Ralph Fiennes) also looks to bring 007 back for a new mission. When Bond encounters a new 00 named Nomi (Lashana Lynch), who has replaced him as the top agent, he learns she isn't impressed by his past achievements.

The mission, which is to rescue a kidnapped scientist, turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain named Safin (Rami Malek), who is armed with dangerous new technology.

I don't think Nomi is ever 007. I think they've just been playing off of it for the hype train.
  • Indeed... "new double-0" and "new 007" are being used interchangeably in the media. I don't think we'll know for sure until the film is released.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    JamesStock wrote: »
    If below is the official plot synopsis, I don't understand how Nomi can be 007, when they literally refer to Bond as 007:
    I don't think he is. When was this? If you're referring to "Where's 007?", a lot of us have a strong feeling that's gonna be them playing with us in terms of who he's actually referring to, before the pay off when we actually meet Nomi in Jamaica.
    I don't think he is. When was this? If you're referring to "Where's 007?", a lot of us have a strong feeling that's gonna be them playing with us in terms of who he's actually referring to, before the pay off when we actually meet Nomi in Jamaica.
    I was referring to the plot synopsis that was quoted a few pages back...the part that says, "and M (Ralph Fiennes) also looks to bring 007 back for a new mission." Why would they use "bring 007 back" when they could have more accurately put it "bring Bond back" if Nomi were actually taking the 007 title?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I was referring to the plot synopsis that was quoted a few pages back...the part that says, "and M (Ralph Fiennes) also looks to bring 007 back for a new mission." Why would they use "bring 007 back" when they could have more accurately put it "bring Bond back" if Nomi were actually taking the 007 title?
    Oh, I see. In that case, I'm not sure. I guess it could go either way at this point.

Although using 007 is weird anyway because he's not 007 anymore, so it might be just be being used in the synopsis in terms of iconography, or whoever wrote the synopsis isn't someone so tied to production that they'd make sure to make the distinction - as even if Nomi is 007 for this movie, James Bond will still be "007" (again in terms of iconography not in context of the film). If that makes sense.

There's two 007's really. The brand and the codename.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe it is purposefully ambiguous.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 440

Yeah, I'd bet actual money her introduction scene will be some variation of M asking for 007, and then the camera revealing that it's her, not Bond.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Bond has resigned. Chilling in Jamaica.

Nomi is the new 007. Action in Cuba, etc.

Bond visit M and M wants Bond back in active service. Bond agree and get's his code number back.

Nomi now a double O something else

007 and Nomi goes after Safin on his island.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Bond visit M and M wants Bond back in active service. Bond agree and get's his code number back.

This is a likely scenario. I still can't fathom a 007 film in which James Bond is not 007. That is the brand. LOL
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343

James Bond (Daniel Craig) has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) from the CIA turns up asking for help, and M (Ralph Fiennes) also looks to bring 007 back for a new mission. When Bond encounters a new 00 named Nomi (Lashana Lynch), who has replaced him as the top agent, he learns she isn't impressed by his past achievements.

The mission, which is to rescue a kidnapped scientist, turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain named Safin (Rami Malek), who is armed with dangerous new technology.

I don't think Nomi is ever 007. I think they've just been playing off of it for the hype train.

Nomi is 007. There are interviews and international trailers that prove it. Bond has resigned and after 3 years she took his codename.
    On a personal note, I don’t see them giving the iconic codename to a black woman for 2 hours and then giving it back to Bond just because he comes back after voluntarily retirement, but that’s my opinion.
    Let’s al remember that Bond in YOLT went on a mission with a different codename, he wasn’t 007, and we know how much the third act takes inspiration from the YOLT novel. There’s even the garden of death. So it wouldn’t be that apocryphal having JB on a mission without its iconic 007 status, especially since this one is gonna be his most personal mission ever.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

But again this makes no logical sense. Why introduce a new female agent as 007 to then take away from her because James Bond is back? Especially when the mantle doesn't hold the same importance. It's not a brand within the movie, it's a codename that I'm sure James Bond himself doesn't give two craps about...
    Great note, but I will comment on a few items.
    1.It is not HIS codename. As with the weapons, vehicles, etc., they belong to MI 6. The numbers -- like guns and cars -- are assigned. Once a double-0 dies -- or, retires, though it is a die-on-the-job-sort-of-job their number goes to someone else. Or, if the agent is re-assigned -- as was Bond in the novel YOLT, they get a new identification number. Bond got 7777 in YOLT.
    2.As for "giving the iconic codename to a black woman" -- wouldn't your statement apply regardless of the person to whom the number was assigned ? In other words -- even if another white guy got the number after Bond's retirement, wouldn't your point apply the same ? Indeed.
    3.Great observations re: the garden of death, etc. It seems Safin and his lair are a mix or a mash of Dr. No in DN, and of Blofeld in YOLT...but wait ! Also with Blofeld in OHMSS becauuuuuuuse:
    A.The worldwide distribution of whatever kickapoo killer juice Safin is making is a bit reminiscent of the worldwide distribution in OHMSS of bacteriological warfare agents.
    B.In OHMSS Blofeld and Irma Bunt mess with Bond's sweetheart and their relationship...by, you know, shooting said sweetie. In NTTD it appears Safin messes with Bond's relationship with the beloved Dr. Swann, in the course of a long, long term "play", starting in her childhood. It appears she won't die -- come on, we went through that not long ago in CR, just 4 stories back (in the books, there were 10 books in between [and more stories, since one of the books collected several stories]).
    I'm sure some of these similarities noted are just instances of me over-reaching.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Great note, but I will comment on a few items.
    1.It is not HIS codename. As with the weapons, vehicles, etc., they belong to MI 6. The numbers -- like guns and cars -- are assigned. Once a double-0 dies -- or, retires, though it is a die-on-the-job-sort-of-job their number goes to someone else. Or, if the agent is re-assigned -- as was Bond in the novel YOLT, they get a new identification number. Bond got 7777 in YOLT.
    2.As for "giving the iconic codename to a black woman" -- wouldn't your statement apply regardless of the person to whom the number was assigned ? In other words -- even if another white guy got the number after Bond's retirement, wouldn't your point apply the same ? Indeed.
    3.Great observations re: the garden of death, etc. It seems Safin and his lair are a mix or a mash of Dr. No in DN, and of Blofeld in YOLT...but wait ! Also with Blofeld in OHMSS becauuuuuuuse:
    A.The worldwide distribution of whatever kickapoo killer juice Safin is making is a bit reminiscent of the worldwide distribution in OHMSS of bacteriological warfare agents.
    B.In OHMSS Blofeld and Irma Bunt mess with Bond's sweetheart and their relationship...by, you know, shooting said sweetie. In NTTD it appears Safin messes with Bond's relationship with the beloved Dr. Swann, in the course of a long, long term "play", starting in her childhood. It appears she won't die -- come on, we went through that not long ago in CR, just 4 stories back (in the books, there were 10 books in between [and more stories, since one of the books collected several stories]).
    I'm sure some of these similarities noted are just instances of me over-reaching.

No such thing as over-reaching! If you feel some sort of connection or inspiration, that feeling means something.